Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Lexus Indoor Velodrome, Detroit

Old 01-10-18, 10:10 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck
Yes, I didn't mean don't use it at all, but don't use it as your primary means of communication or calendaring. It's not just that you have little control over how many people see your posts, but that you can't even be sure your followers see your posts unless you pay. It's also no replacement for a real calendar. It's fine as a marketing tool to try to get attention for things.
The Boulder Valley Velodrome has both a web site and a FB site. The FB page is very useful for getting out "breaking news" such as weather delays/cancellations. The web site includes an events calendar and other track info.
Old 01-10-18, 10:26 AM
andrewsjr

Bikes: Litespeed Xircon, Specialized Transition Pro/Zipp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Managed to glean some information from the FB page but there is a lot of information lacking. Just this week I submitted a basic question about the used of clinchers vs. tubs @Lexus Velodrome. The FB automated response was "we will get back to you in 24hrs"....guess what? 3 days...crickets no answer. Even directly emailed a contact that I previously had a communication from, and again ZERO acknowledgement or response. I applaud the organizations' efforts on getting this new facility funded and operational but the quality and frequency communications to prospective customers quite frankly, is abysmal.

Last edited by andrewsjr; 01-10-18 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-10-18, 10:52 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
If anyone from the velodrome is reading this thread, here are some pages from DLV that you can use as reference:

Track Certification | Dick Lane Velodrome

Racer FAQs | Dick Lane Velodrome

Racing Categories | Dick Lane Velodrome

Other tracks have similar or more information. I'm just familiar with DLV.
Old 01-10-18, 04:16 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
We shouldn’t get too far ahead of ourselves here. This is a new venue. The first race is “invitational” as the ‘dome is not really set up to handle an influx of riders from out of town yet. So feel free to come watch, or if you want to race you will have a chance in the future. If you have raced in Detroit (IVBP) before you can check with the organizers on eligibility.

Plenty more events to come. Racing will be every Saturday with several more 2 day races with cash prizes. Obviously this is all new, so the team is in the building and ramp up phase. It is starting simple and will get more complex as it matures. While the team doing this has a lot of experience, there is a lot of work to do too.
Old 01-10-18, 07:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Saturday racing is AWESOME!

It’s hard to get out of work and down to the track to race during the week.

I hosted a Saturday race series one summer. Was fairly popular. We definitely got riders from further away and those who had obligations during the week.
Old 01-11-18, 01:53 PM
chas58

Thanks everyone for the feedback and ideas in this thread. We’ll use this feedback as we ramp up and define things going forward.

The first race (Jan 26th) is generally targeted to Detroit riders and a few out of towners (certainly experienced people from London or Cleveland would be comfortable on this track). As we iron things out, we would love to have people come visit our track.

The weekly Saturday night races will be more casual, and the monthly 2 day races a bit more structured. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 6 day in the summer. Certainly depending on how many people are interested in traveling to Detroit will determine what the needs/rules will be. I like the idea of a quick checkout on Saturdays for experienced riders. Everything is pretty fluid and unknown and under construction at this point. More to come…
Old 01-11-18, 02:58 PM
carleton
Elitist

I'm pretty sure the tone of the following words may come off harsh. But, try not to read them that way. They are just worded really directly. So, imagine me smiling when you read them

Originally Posted by chas58
Everything is pretty fluid and unknown and under construction at this point.
It doesn't have to be. This isn't uncharted territory. Just reach out to the track directors at other velodromes and they have encountered and overcome every challenge you will have. You do not have to learn as you go on this. If you do that, you will certainly make some mistakes.

Originally Posted by chas58
Certainly depending on how many people are interested in traveling to Detroit will determine what the needs/rules will be.
I believe it will be the other way around. The rules will determine how many people will be interested in traveling to Detroit.

Case in point: When Rock Hill opened up within driving distance of the regulars at DLV, we were all very interested and wanted to ride. Only a small few ever contacted the staff at Rock Hill. The first questions we had were, "What does it take to be able to ride? When do you race? What is your race program for each race day?"

If you can answer those questions, you will have people deciding to come.

Waiting to hear interest in your track then taking weeks to decide will simply be a wet blanket on the enthusiasm that people have for your new awesome track.
Old 01-23-18, 09:05 PM
700wheel

My local newspaper, Denver Post, had a story about the Detroit Velodrome yesterday - I could not find the article on line but here is essentially the same article:
https://www.ctpost.com/living/articl...o-12514742.php
Old 01-24-18, 04:36 PM
chas58

That is cool. Yep, it was picked up by AP, so the story got around. There are a couple of pro-level riders coming to town for the races this weekend.

The reporter above asked if there would be "Pro" riders this weekend. The response basically was - well there is a $5000 purse, so yeah - they are getting paid. (I guess that makes them professional ;-) Not many people have velodrome racing as their main source of income though).
Old 01-26-18, 05:37 PM
andrewsjr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm tonight is race day#1. Event was advertised as having a LiveStream both nights on Detroit Public TV. Nothing listed on any of the TV schedules either cable or YouTube Live channel. With so much interest and momentum for this new facility it is an odd marketing strategy to not publish where you can watch it. Anyone know the link?

Jon.
Old 01-27-18, 05:51 PM
700wheel

Originally Posted by andrewsjr
Hmmm tonight is race day#1. Event was advertised as having a LiveStream both nights on Detroit Public TV. Nothing listed on any of the TV schedules either cable or YouTube Live channel. With so much interest and momentum for this new facility it is an odd marketing strategy to not publish where you can watch it. Anyone know the link?

Jon.
I just learned that the event was streamed on their facebook page.
Old 01-29-18, 08:23 PM
andrewsjr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well ‘livestreamed’ is a very loose interpretation. Actually it was a 360 camera on a pole with no intelligible commentary or on screen graphics. For me the picture stuttered and that was tested on Mac\PC and both a 25mbps+ 4g LTE and a 50mbps broadband with the same results. I understand others may have had a smooth picture. The point is, this was meant to be the grand opening and for remote viewers it was a very poor experience. I think the Facebook Live feed peeked at a pultry 12 viewers with <8 for most of the time. I gave up watching after 20 mins. There was zero information on the format of the races or the riders. I realize that the ‘deal’ with Detroit Public TV may have fallen through, but how difficult would it have been to update the FB page and the online flyer to show the URL more than 5mins before it went Live?

The long term success of this facility will ultimately be decided by the new riders that use it, not the seasoned riders. The first months experience has been very frustrating as you have to search and hound the staff for information. The communications need to seriously improve going forward.

Now that the first event is done, the excuse of other startup priorities is no longer valid. Subsequent events and media posts need attention. I wish the facility every success, it deserves it.

Jon.
Old 01-29-18, 08:29 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Agreed with your frustration. It's been a difficult experience to see all this media coverage about how it's "the most elite facility in the country" and will attract cyclists "from all over the country" only to have riders who express in going held at an arm's distance or outright told not to show up.
Old 01-29-18, 09:13 PM
carleton
Elitist

I think your gripes are well-founded.

These issues are not new on earth. I don't know anything about how things are being decided or who is deciding, but it seems that there isn't enough delegation happening and things are being held close and the only things that get done are what one person can handle overseeing. If that's the case, that person has to relax, trust, and delegate. The delegates will want the success just as much as the top person.
Old 01-31-18, 02:09 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by andrewsjr
The long term success of this facility will ultimately be decided by the new riders that use it, not the seasoned riders. The first months experience has been very frustrating as you have to search and hound the staff for information. The communications need to seriously improve going forward.

Jon.
Jon,

The calendar is now up and available. It includes signups for classes. There seem to be a lot of people signing up.
Track Schedule: https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/c...&pMode=0&loc=1

The email list is a good source of information. The weekly evening schedule is fairly consistent (there is a class for experienced people after 6pm M-Thur, races Saturday).

The facebook page has some good info too.

Try this for the PBS live stream: https://www.dptv.org/specials/velodrome/

Web site is behind schedule - it was supposed to be done a week ago - not sure why that is so late.
(personally, the track is starting to feel a little crowded, its not lacking in popularity)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
schedule tmp.JPG (46.7 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by chas58; 02-01-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 08:31 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 77 Posts
the 5 spoke is me
photo cred: Erika Fulk/Detroit Spoke

Old 02-20-18, 08:33 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
the 5 spoke is me ��

too many spokes
please consider reducing to 3

like how you tried to make your 3-spoke a 2-spoke by grinding it against my axle
Old 02-20-18, 08:39 AM
carleton
Elitist

lol
Old 02-20-18, 08:46 AM
theblackbullet

Originally Posted by queerpunk
too many spokes
please consider reducing to 3

like how you tried to make your 3-spoke a 2-spoke by grinding it against my axle
hahaha yo! you I'd trade the 5 spoke for a good ole Hed anyday!
Old 02-20-18, 12:26 PM
chas58

I kinda like this video of Weston Giem (in green) destroying us in the scratch race.

https://www.facebook.com/tim.roach.75...16173138227905

Last edited by chas58; 02-20-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 01:23 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Will be interesting if the Indoor Velo impacts the early season Crit scene in MI. Used to be Florida for a couple of weeks or get shelled at AA or Waterford.
Old 02-21-18, 07:25 AM
rustymongrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
the 5 spoke is me
photo cred: Erika Fulk/Detroit Spoke
That's my teammate on your wheel!
Old 02-21-18, 08:04 AM
theblackbullet

Originally Posted by rustymongrel
That's my teammate on your wheel!
That kid is STRONG!
Old 02-21-18, 09:40 AM
rustymongrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Oh I know!

I watched him race kids his own age a week ago and it was incredible how much he dominated.
Old 02-21-18, 06:56 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Will be interesting if the Indoor Velo impacts the early season Crit scene in MI. Used to be Florida for a couple of weeks or get shelled at AA or Waterford.
It will for the 40 or so people who train their regularly. I'm in a lot better shape now than I was this time last year!

Seems to me there are a lot of people in Detroit that I never saw at IVPB (20 miles to the north) - it's attracting a lot of new riders. Its not unusual for the track 101 class to fill up.

Summer track racing has to compete (and often loses out to) road racing. But the roadies are coming inside to the track now. Not much of a cycling conflict in the winter time, and it sure beats zwift or trainer road.