Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Beach Riding in the surf

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!
View Poll Results: Do you routinely ride your fat tire beach cruiser in the surf?
Yes, up to 3 inches of water
0%
Yes, up to 6 inches of water
0%
Yes, up to a foot of water
16.67%
No, are you insane?
83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Beach Riding in the surf

Old 08-16-21, 02:53 PM
Justin.porto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Beach Riding in the surf

Good Afternoon Riders, I am Justin Porto, a new member of the Bike Forum and I am looking for information on others' experiences on riding a fat tire beach cruiser in the surf.
I have not been able to find anything, even on Google about this, and I cannot believe I am the only person in the world who has ridden a fat tired bike in the surf on the beach. Yes, I know it is probably bad for the bike, but I just got my Mango cruiser coaster brake no shifting bike and I need the extra resistance of water rushing over my tires to stay fit (as well as enjoy a thrilling ride. I go in at least 3 inches of surf, and I can tolerate up to about a foot of depth before I either bog down or get wash over by a two foot wave.

I ride on the Crystal Coast in NC and it is flat beach riding.

Anyone else out there who does this?

Thanks,

Justin
Old 08-16-21, 04:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
salt water is evil to metal machines. go ahead & get it out of your system. you're only young once ;-)
Old 08-16-21, 05:34 PM
Justin.porto

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
salt water is evil to metal machines. go ahead & get it out of your system. you're only young once ;-)
Thank you, RumRunn6...at. 66 I am not so young, but I hopefully I will be dead before it rusts bad enough to stop riding!
Likes For Justin.porto:
Old 08-16-21, 07:01 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
Simply keeping my bike in a car port around 1000 feet from the salt water resulted in a crazy amount of corrosion. Still, I loved riding on the beach.
Likes For surveyor6:
Old 08-16-21, 07:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin.porto
Thank you, RumRunn6...at. 66 I am not so young, but I hopefully I will be dead before it rusts bad enough to stop riding!
oh haha that's funny. I guess it's all relative. enjoy!
Old 08-29-21, 10:10 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
It is a little insane and it is extremely destructive to your equipment.

Still, if you enjoy it, then why the hell not? Just do it but expect to replace said bicycle within a few years if not sooner. For this reason, I would just buy the most inexpensive NEW bicycles from Wallyworld for the ocean surf riding. Spend as little as possible for such a bicycle. A higher-end bike that costs you three times as much WILL NOT SURVIVE ANY LONGER AND IS NO BETTER Than The LEAST EXPENSIVE CRUISER FROM WALLYWORLD!

Really insane is what those X-games bmx jumper-tricks dimwits do. Dimwits yes but there are high dollar prize money payout to the top-contestants so lack of brain cells and sizeable huge annual earnings and endorsements makes it great if you're good enough, but the fractures, bruised ribs, concussions, and the lingering discomfort and pain while recovering from surgeries is probably not fun. You see that the sponsors are always various Orthopaedic, Sports Medicine Surgery & Physical Therapy Rehab Centers.
Those cats that are the X-game bmx suicide dimwits, do make it a sight to see, as they do pull off some amazing jumps and multiple flips and land perfectly, but I often wonder how many youngsters see that and attempt to try something that gets them hurt and their parents end up with a near $70,000 hospital and surgery bill for 14 year old Jimmy's stupidity. The parents probably are working their asses off in some low-pay $16 a hour job at some retail chain like Advance Auto Parts where they don't get (benefits)paid Medical Insurance-Hospitalization Insurance automatically as a condition of employment. I'm just saying that the low wage retail sector is famous for low pay and no paid benefits. Jimmy's parents don't realize that 14 year old Jimmy's bmx hobby will be so expensive due to all the needed Orthopaedic surgeries and related Orthopaedic surgeon follow ups and the related necessary Physical Therapy. The parents don't want to say NO to Jimmy because he loves bmx but they will be up the creek and will be beyond bankrupt if little Jimmy gets hurt even if they have a high deductible minimum coverage health ins plan that they themselves pay for through their retail sector employer's plan administrator. The bmx bike cost is nothing, as is the related travel, lodging and airfare to the bmx competitions when compared to the costs associated when Jimmy gets injured. No one escapes injury in that crazy world of bmx competition.

The cost to sacrifice a Cruiser Bicycle in The SaltWater Surf is absolutely minimal. As Bob Dylan once wrote: " DON'T THINK TWICE, IT'S ALRIGHT"
Go ahead and have Fun.
Who cares if it sacrifices the bicycle. You can easily get another bicycle when that one becomes no longer practical to maintain / repair for continued use.
The overall Cost is Low and the Major Fun Factor is Huge, so there is your answer about Beach Riding in The Surf if You Want To.
Old 08-30-21, 06:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
It is a little insane and it is extremely destructive to your equipment.

Still, if you enjoy it, then why the hell not? Just do it but expect to replace said bicycle within a few years if not sooner. For this reason, I would just buy the most inexpensive NEW bicycles from Wallyworld for the ocean surf riding. Spend as little as possible for such a bicycle. A higher-end bike that costs you three times as much WILL NOT SURVIVE ANY LONGER AND IS NO BETTER Than The LEAST EXPENSIVE CRUISER FROM WALLYWORLD!

Really insane is what those X-games bmx jumper-tricks dimwits do. Dimwits yes but there are high dollar prize money payout to the top-contestants so lack of brain cells and sizeable huge annual earnings and endorsements makes it great if you're good enough, but the fractures, bruised ribs, concussions, and the lingering discomfort and pain while recovering from surgeries is probably not fun. You see that the sponsors are always various Orthopaedic, Sports Medicine Surgery & Physical Therapy Rehab Centers.
Those cats that are the X-game bmx suicide dimwits, do make it a sight to see, as they do pull off some amazing jumps and multiple flips and land perfectly, but I often wonder how many youngsters see that and attempt to try something that gets them hurt and their parents end up with a near $70,000 hospital and surgery bill for 14 year old Jimmy's stupidity. The parents probably are working their asses off in some low-pay $16 a hour job at some retail chain like Advance Auto Parts where they don't get (benefits)paid Medical Insurance-Hospitalization Insurance automatically as a condition of employment. I'm just saying that the low wage retail sector is famous for low pay and no paid benefits. Jimmy's parents don't realize that 14 year old Jimmy's bmx hobby will be so expensive due to all the needed Orthopaedic surgeries and related Orthopaedic surgeon follow ups and the related necessary Physical Therapy. The parents don't want to say NO to Jimmy because he loves bmx but they will be up the creek and will be beyond bankrupt if little Jimmy gets hurt even if they have a high deductible minimum coverage health ins plan that they themselves pay for through their retail sector employer's plan administrator. The bmx bike cost is nothing, as is the related travel, lodging and airfare to the bmx competitions when compared to the costs associated when Jimmy gets injured. No one escapes injury in that crazy world of bmx competition.

The cost to sacrifice a Cruiser Bicycle in The SaltWater Surf is absolutely minimal. As Bob Dylan once wrote: " DON'T THINK TWICE, IT'S ALRIGHT"
Go ahead and have Fun.
Who cares if it sacrifices the bicycle. You can easily get another bicycle when that one becomes no longer practical to maintain / repair for continued use.
The overall Cost is Low and the Major Fun Factor is Huge, so there is your answer about Beach Riding in The Surf if You Want To.
Good to know.