Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Tool "Hydraulic Brake Piston Press" PP-1.2

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-04-21, 04:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

I've always reset pistons with some old pads inserted in the caliper, and I use a broad flat-blade screwdriver to press the pad to press the piston, figuring that this was the least likely way to do damage.

My kid, doing the same thing, just cracked a piston.

So I thought maybe I should get the park tool.

However, it looks like a $20 pretty version of the screwdriver. Moreover, there is the following disclaimer at the bottom of the page:

"NOTE: Wedge-style piston tools, such as the PP-1.2, are not intended for use with ceramic pistons in Shimano® road disc brake calipers."

Ok. I assume this means don't use our tool or your screwdriver to push the pistons back with the pads.

Where does that leave us? Is it better to use a plastic tire lever and press it in the center of the piston? (I assume touching the piston with the screwdriver or whatever directly would be far worse.)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 10-04-21 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-04-21, 04:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
p. 57 of this pdf shows "a flat-shaped tool" (unspecified, like a little ruler, I guess) straight through the caliper so you can push on the piston evenly.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RADBR01-02-ENG.pdf
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-04-21, 04:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Pic assist:

Old 10-04-21, 04:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I would have thought it impossible to crack a piston while pushing against brake pads but I guess if you try hard enough you can indeed do that. I pretty much ALWAYS use the Park tool and press against the old pads. If that doesn't work I remove the pads and carefully push on the piston w/ the box end of a small combination wrench. I've have not ever cracked a single piston doing this and I work on a metric **** ton of disc brakes.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-04-21, 06:08 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Thanks for the reality checks.

It is possible the piston cracked for some other reason, but it did so shortly after he reset them.
Old 10-04-21, 10:59 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
The upside of the park tool is that it's way wider than most screwdrivers. You can crack a Shimano piston if you press the piston in sideways, which can happen with a narrow screwdriver that's not well centered in the middle of the pistons. That tool is convenient, but the better approach when doing pad changes is to remove the old pads and clean the pistons with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush or q tips and then press them in with a plastic tire lever. This helps keep the pistons moving over the quad seals with less friction from contamination.

A lot of people have skepticism over shop tools, but in a commercial environment a tool that costs, what, $15 at shop cost?, even a full retail $20?, sure beats cracking a piston working quickly, and also saving a few seconds on something you do often adds up pretty quickly.
Likes For cpach:
Old 10-05-21, 04:38 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
A guy could probably modify a cheap wood chisel from a yard sale.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-05-21, 04:41 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
I use a Pedro's plastic tire lever.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 10-05-21, 10:05 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

cpach cxwrench

I just ordered one. If you guys both endorse it, that is good enough for me.

My main concern is it had the disclaimer not to use it with ceramic pistons (in which case, what does one do?).
Old 10-05-21, 10:12 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I bought the Park PP 1.2 and it works pretty well. Quite frankly though, if one had a quality flat-blade screwdriver with dulled edges you could do the job. That's how I had been bleeding brakes but the Park tool, as a one-trick pony tool, does provide more protection.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 10-05-21, 02:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
cpach cxwrench

I just ordered one. If you guys both endorse it, that is good enough for me.

My main concern is it had the disclaimer not to use it with ceramic pistons (in which case, what does one do?).
They must mean not to push directly on the pistons w/ the tool. As long as you have some old pads to push against you should be fine. If a piston seems stuck I'll pull the brake lever a bit to get it moving then push it back in to the bore. Usually always works.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-05-21, 03:29 PM
howardv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
The PP-1.2 is not a necessary tool, but nice to have. I always take the pads out and used a wide plastic tire lever (e.g. Pedros/Muc-off) to push the pistons back. Never cracked any pistons. I don't recommend flat head screwdrivers as they can be sharp and narrow. But I recently got the PP-1.2 (just because I had to buy something and it was there). It looks nice and makes me look like a pro in front of my friends as it adds another tools to my bike tool shed . It works well as it's wide and has a nice angle that fits perfectly on the piston. Unlike many other bike tools, this one isn't necessary at all, but if you have the budget, it's nice to have.
Likes For howardv:
Old 10-05-21, 10:56 PM
cpach

Pedros lever is what I use directly on the piston, park tool if pressing in the pads. I clean pistons anytime they're dirty during a pad change or bleed with iso and a toothbrush I use just for this purpose. I also exersize pistons after every bleed until they move evenly and always set brakes up with evenly extended pistons. It is surprising how many brakes in the wild are set up with one piston pretty much fully in the caliper and the other extended. This meaningfully affects power.

In related news, just took a new personal bike for its first ride. Dura Ace hydraulic feels so, so excellent.
Likes For cpach:
Old 10-07-21, 01:54 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by cpach
In related news, just took a new personal bike for its first ride. Dura Ace hydraulic feels so, so excellent.
Thanks again for the advice. I hadn't realized you had a second career as a dentist.

Old 10-07-21, 10:04 PM
cpach

Originally Posted by wgscott
Thanks again for the advice. I hadn't realized you had a second career as a dentist.

Yeah, it was a bit indulgent, but Shimano had a S-Tec (online mechanic training program) flash sale, and the bike isn't full Dura Ace.. It was going to be my last big purchase before leaving the bike industry, before we (kinda on a whim) moved to Mt Shasta where the cost of property and general cost of living was more amenable to a job as a mechanic. The dynohub laced to carbon rims is also a little silly, particularly on a boat anchor of a Surly frame. I like building nice wheels?

Really R7000 or better feels pretty similar, but it's night-or-day better than the Sram Force 1 on my road ebike, and also pretty noticeably better than some of the lower end non series Shimano road hydraulic setups. Campy hydraulic also is pretty fantastic.