Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Very Aggressive Rider On MUP

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Very Aggressive Rider On MUP

Old 10-11-21, 09:53 AM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Skullo You made his wife aware of it and I'm sure this isn't the first time she's had to deal with his bad behavior. It will come back to bite him.

In the mean time get a helmet cam or action cam. I've been riding with one for 7 years.

Then in situations like this you can calmly point to it and ask the jerk to "Say hello to the internet!"
I ordered one on Amazon Saturday. Should be here Wednesday.
Old 10-11-21, 11:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
IMO wanna be racer boyz should be on the street not a MUP. A MUP is not for racing.
Old 10-11-21, 02:44 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Maybe next time just let it go when someone cuts you off on the bike path, or anywhere really. I know it's easy to say and hard to do, but you're not going to change people like that by shouting at them. If you wouldn't have shouted "Hey ! Too close!", he probably would have just kept going. The more I encounter ebikes in the wild the more convinced I am that they don't belong on the bike path.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-11-21, 03:38 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
All the Kum Ba Yah encourages these folks. Being pepper sprayed and having your bike tossed in the creek might be enough of a Significant Emotional Event to evoke reflection and behavior change.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 10-11-21, 04:57 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
All the Kum Ba Yah encourages these folks. Being pepper sprayed and having your bike tossed in the creek might be enough of a Significant Emotional Event to evoke reflection and behavior change.
Precisely what I was thinking. I carry HALT spray for aggressive dogs.
Old 10-11-21, 06:04 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Maybe next time just let it go when someone cuts you off on the bike path, or anywhere really. I know it's easy to say and hard to do, but you're not going to change people like that by shouting at them. If you wouldn't have shouted "Hey ! Too close!", he probably would have just kept going. The more I encounter ebikes in the wild the more convinced I am that they don't belong on the bike path.
Yeah, I get both sides. As a parent, I’m used to pointing out inappropriate behavior and providing consequences. But a bad actor like this is not going to be transformed by me scolding him. I’d be more likely to just make sure there is no collision and let him continue on his unhappy way.

We have very well used trails and all the regulars (walkers, runners and cyclists) know the routine. We constantly have new users too, though, and they are the ones you have to cut some slack. If they keep at it, they will learn just by the sheer weight of traffic what works and what doesn’t. At least that’s how it seems here.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-11-21, 10:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Was riding a pretty deserted back road in the woods a week ago just enjoying the solitude. Out of nowhere a couple on silent total propulsion e-bikes zipped past me from behind. Scared the crap out of me since I wasn’t expecting them and they were so quiet. `I told them ‘you scared me to death. Please say ‘passing’. They both looked at me like I was out of my mind and just kept going, not saying a word.

Not a MUP but I bet you they were clueless newbies and had no idea they could scare people. They seemingly left as clueless as they appeared.

Old 10-12-21, 06:10 AM
Bald Paul

The more I encounter ebikes in the wild the more convinced I am that they don't belong on the bike path.
Many MUPs are, in fact, banning their use. However, enforcement is just about non-existent.
And it's not the ebike that is at fault. It's the rider. An ebike just makes it easier for some to act like that, because they know they won't be too tired from actually pedaling to fight.
Old 10-12-21, 06:50 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Many MUPs are, in fact, banning their use. However, enforcement is just about non-existent.
And it's not the ebike that is at fault. It's the rider. An ebike just makes it easier for some to act like that, because they know they won't be too tired from actually pedaling to fight.
Ebikes are the problem. I'll give you an example. I was riding my bike on Sunday afternoon on the Skokie Valley Trail which is a 10 mile long, straight, flat, paved trail in the north suburbs of Chicago. There are hardly any walkers or joggers on this trail because it's long, with limited access and there are better options for walking and jogging nearby. It also doesn't really connect anything so it's basically just people riding bikes for exercise. There is no posted speed limit, and I have been passed by guys on TT bikes going 30 mph. I've seen a lot more ebikes this year, and for the most part, they don't really bother me on this particular path.

Anyway, I came up behind an older couple riding side-by-side across the entire trail on their ebikes at around 20 mph, which I assume is as fast as they go. I was going a few mph faster and rang my bell to let them know I was there. At first they didn't move, so I slowed to stay behind them, then I rang my bell again. On the second ring, I assume he didn't hear the first, the guy looked back and jerked his handlebars to the left, almost went off the trail, then jerked them back to the right and almost hit his wife. He got it back under control and they both slowed down and got to one side so I could pass. I waved hello and went by because I try not to get mad at people when I'm out riding my bike. I'm sure they were very nice people, and it's nice for them to be able to get out, but they had zero bike handling skills and almost took all three of us out, which doesn't really happen on pedal bikes. Anyone who can hold 20 mph for any distance can generally ride in a straight line while they look over their shoulder. People riding regular bikes slowly on that trail don't ride side by side for very long because there are plenty of guys like me cruising along in the 20's. So it's the ebikes that provide more power than people know how to handle that creates dangerous situations for everyone. In the OP's example it was a jerk who had more power than everyone else, in my example it was a nice guy who couldn't ride his bike in a straight line at 20 mph while he looked over his shoulder. The common denominator is the ebike.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-12-21, 07:09 AM
Bald Paul

Ebikes are the problem. I'll give you an example. I was riding my bike on Sunday afternoon on the Skokie Valley Trail which is a 10 mile long, straight, flat, paved trail in the north suburbs of Chicago. There are hardly any walkers or joggers on this trail because it's long, with limited access and there are better options for walking and jogging nearby. It also doesn't really connect anything so it's basically just people riding bikes for exercise. There is no posted speed limit, and I have been passed by guys on TT bikes going 30 mph. I've seen a lot more ebikes this year, and for the most part, they don't really bother me on this particular path.

Anyway, I came up behind an older couple riding side-by-side across the entire trail on their ebikes at around 20 mph, which I assume is as fast as they go. I was going a few mph faster and rang my bell to let them know I was there. At first they didn't move, so I slowed to stay behind them, then I rang my bell again. On the second ring, I assume he didn't hear the first, the guy looked back and jerked his handlebars to the left, almost went off the trail, then jerked them back to the right and almost hit his wife. He got it back under control and they both slowed down and got to one side so I could pass. I waved hello and went by because I try not to get mad at people when I'm out riding my bike. I'm sure they were very nice people, and it's nice for them to be able to get out, but they had zero bike handling skills and almost took all three of us out, which doesn't really happen on pedal bikes. Anyone who can hold 20 mph for any distance can generally ride in a straight line while they look over their shoulder. People riding regular bikes slowly on that trail don't ride side by side for very long because there are plenty of guys like me cruising along in the 20's. So it's the ebikes that provide more power than people know how to handle that creates dangerous situations for everyone. In the OP's example it was a jerk who had more power than everyone else, in my example it was a nice guy who couldn't ride his bike in a straight line at 20 mph while he looked over his shoulder. The common denominator is the ebike.
I'm still trying to ascertain how that is the fault of the ebike.
A lot of pro peloton riders are complaining that teams have begun recruiting new members from the world of virtual competition. They have impressive speed, massive power outputs, and few road handling skills. It must be those $10,000+ bikes they are riding, huh?
Old 10-12-21, 07:24 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I'm still trying to ascertain how that is the fault of the ebike.
A lot of pro peloton riders are complaining that teams have begun recruiting new members from the world of virtual competition. They have impressive speed, massive power outputs, and few road handling skills. It must be those $10,000+ bikes they are riding, huh?
It's the same issue. It's a safety hazard when people have more power than they know how to control. Same as someone who's never ridden a motorcycle before buying a 600 cc sport bike.
Old 10-12-21, 07:47 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
Its always worth driving to a different trail. Ebikes are beginning to fill up my favorite MUP here. Your mental and physical health are well worth it. With all the kids on their phones, and having lost a relative in a cycling accident 8 weeks ago I wont ride on the roads.
Old 10-12-21, 07:51 AM
Bald Paul

It's the same issue. It's a safety hazard when people have more power than they know how to control. Same as someone who's never ridden a motorcycle before buying a 600 cc sport bike.
Thank you for reinforcing my point. 600cc sport bikes, controlled by a skilled rider, aren't by themselves dangerous. But I've seen far too many squids with more money than brains riding them.
Old 10-12-21, 08:08 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Thank you for reinforcing my point. 600cc sport bikes, controlled by a skilled rider, aren't by themselves dangerous. But I've seen far too many squids with more money than brains riding them.
Of course the ebikes bikes don't ride themselves. There has to be a rider, and I agree it's possible for someone to ride an ebike both courteously and skillfully, but I'm starting to see a lot more examples where that isn't the case. I put that down to the new technology because it didn't happen before, but I suppose you could just as easily attribute it to the people who don't know how to use new technology.
Old 10-12-21, 09:34 AM
Bald Paul

I agree it's possible for someone to ride an ebike both courteously and skillfully, but I'm starting to see a lot more examples where that isn't the case.
No disagreement from me on that point. I've seen it myself.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-12-21, 10:20 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
From the safety of my keyboard I think I would have taken that opportunity to see if E-bikes can float.

Sounds like you were the bigger person between yourself, me, and the AH on the e-bike. By not acknowledging or responding to the aggressive person you surely came out on top in that situation. Well done!
Old 10-14-21, 12:56 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
I agree it's possible for someone to ride an ebike both courteously and skillfully, but I'm starting to see a lot more examples where that isn't the case.
No disagreement from me on that point. I've seen it myself.
I've seen a lot of people on regular bicycles that fit into the same category: the wannabe racers, cyclist riding abreast, cyclist with ear bud inserted-oblivious to the world, cyclist looking at their phones, passing at high speed with out signaling their intent, and just unskilled bike riders. I've actually seen more of these type of folks than people on ebikes.
Old 10-14-21, 01:26 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Doug64
I've seen a lot of people on regular bicycles that fit into the same category: the wannabe racers, cyclist riding abreast, cyclist with ear bud inserted-oblivious to the world, cyclist looking at their phones, passing at high speed with out signaling their intent, and just unskilled bike riders. I've actually seen more of these type of folks than people on ebikes.
Obviously. There are still a lot more bikes than ebikes so you are going to see more rude and incompetent people on regular bikes. Seems to me that there's more rudeness and incompetence as a proportion on ebikes, but who knows. I think ebikes are stupid so I know I'm biased. I did see a study from the Netherlands reporting the highest cycling fatalities in 25 years because more older people are riding ebikes. One in three of the fatalities was on an ebike, and people over 60 are more likely to be killed in a cycling accident than a car accident.
Old 10-15-21, 09:16 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I don't ride an electric bike , I ride vintage steel road bikes. If not for my wife's pedal assist bike she would not be able to join me on some of my rides. It is the mid drive Bosch type so you have to pedal and there is no throttle. Here in Southern California , riding on a bike path or MUP , it is really tough to cruise at speed. We rarely use them and when we do it seems we are stuck doing 10mph and ringing the bloody bell every 15 minutes. Most of our riding and all of my solo riding is on the road in bike lanes. It has become a serious problem with some ebikes and also the gas powered Whizzer type cruisers even in the bike lanes. I am not fast but usually cruise about 18-20mph on the flats and my wife has no problem cruising behind and staying up with me . The riders on these fast ebikes and gas bikes go blazing by very close without giving any room as they pass and sometimes aren't even pedaling! I have also had the same problem with racers on their fancy modern bikes out to set a world record forgetting that it isn't a race course and maybe a little room as they pass would be good. The latter is rare , for sure , but all equally dangerous. It is the attitude of the rider that is the problem and as I stated before, the inconsiderate few ruin it for the majority of us. Happy pedaling!
Old 10-15-21, 10:36 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
People have largely had enough of being "pushed" around, having little say, being told what to do, etc. Far too many are lashing out, now, even with deadly violence. It's pitiful, and sad. I get that sort of treatment from drivers of vehicles on a weekly basis, when driving my own car. For no other reason that that: they're there, and ticked, and wanting to lash out at anybody who's there.
The truth is people have always been pushed around and had even less say. The only difference is social media.

Like many others, I remember going to work, doing my job, and keeping my mouth shut, most stores closed at 5:30pm, knowing where pay phones were located on my drive home, having to actually mail my bills, banks closing at 3:00pm, except Friday, paychecks needed to clear, mail order was mailing in an order and waiting, etc.

That was just the way life was. You might not like it, but that was just the way things were done. No one would think of vandalizing the bank president’s home because a check couldn’t be deposited, or throwing a brick through the window of a hardware store because they were closed… and no internet where people could rage on about it with encouragement from others.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-15-21, 04:35 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I am 6’3”/200 lbs and fit. I am the least confrontational guy you would ever meet. I always try to de escalate situations. As an equal. You were in the right, he was in the wrong. That’s enough. No sense getting into a fight that can be avoided. People get hurt in fights and the police show up.

Now, if someone took a swing at me and connected, well, game on. It’s never happened.

You handled it perfectly.

Last edited by BCAC; 10-15-21 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-15-21, 05:58 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
This is the only part of the biking I don't like: close calls with cars and other cyclists. My blood pressure goes up and can even boil, but I try as much as possible to avoid confrontation, it is not worth it. IMHO, there are no winners once the verbal confrontation starts, or worse.

Last week I was passed by a fast group of bikers, the leader gave me a shout and passed me with a comfortable margin, then the the others passed me closer and closer with the last few ones basically rubbing against my side, when I was already close to the side of the road. It was dangerous, unnecessary and obviously on purpose, a show off and intimidation. I was pissed off but in a second or two I decided juts to keep calm, and let it go. Biking on the public roads can be sometimes frustrating and dangerous, but on the balance this is a great sport and recreation, let's keep this way with some humility and forgiveness included.
Old 10-17-21, 07:46 AM
DDzBike

Bikes: Giant Anyroad Comax

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Dealing with people like this are what Kryptonite locks a made for
Old 10-17-21, 09:24 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by DDzBike
Dealing with people like this are what Kryptonite locks a made for

(His whole comedy special is actually quite funny. But the clip is just the relavent part to your post.)

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 10-25-21, 11:32 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
The guy I ride with is 78, on oxygen 24/7, has a pacemaker. I don't begrudge him his ebike. If ebikes get more aged and sedentary folks off the couch and outdoors, that's a good thing. I admit to shaking my head at young folks going 25 mph without pedaling on MUPs.
Likes For Inusuit:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.