Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Old 10-18-21, 01:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I've been looking at the free trial of Wahoo's Syst'm, what with it's 4DP test. I need to decide what the goal of my winter riding will be. Previous years, I just kinda stopped riding after October, made a few half-hearted efforts at riding on a dumb trainer, maybe a couple Sunday rides under 30 miles and then started rebuilding fitness after DST started again and I could ride after work. Last winter I rode through the whole time, and in fact since July of 2020 I have not fallen below 20 hours of riding/ month. But there's been no structure. So, do I WANT structure? And if so, to accomplish what, exactly? Previously, I never had to think beyond building my my fitness over the summer, losing it during the winter, building it up again next summer. And Now I'm facing the reality that you don't just keep getting faster and faster, that there will be some sort of periodicity to it.

Life was less complicated when I was lazier.
The 4DP test is awesome and the absolute worst. I rode Sufferfest for a couple of winters and really appreciate the approach with four distinct power zones, since my profile doesn't adhere well to the typical power curves.
Old 10-18-21, 01:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The 4DP test is awesome and the absolute worst. I rode Sufferfest for a couple of winters and really appreciate the approach with four distinct power zones, since my profile doesn't adhere well to the typical power curves.
I almost jumped on the free trial this weekend, but I thought maybe I should finish the last 3 rides of Zwift Academy first. I still have one workout, a recovery ride, and the 'Finish Line' test to do. Maybe then. I don't want to cross the streams....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-18-21, 01:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Popped up on Facebook. From my 2017 hi-rail trip in NJ. Probably cannot see it, but there is a dainty fox on the outside of the right rail. It was so small it could run along the railhead. I got to drive for a while.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-18-21, 01:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LAJ
Yep.

Now align the B's on the top cap properly, please. It looks like the Cane Creek is OK as long as it's Cane Creek on both sides.
Maybe he's into wabi sabi.

Old 10-18-21, 01:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Popped up on Facebook. From my 2017 hi-rail trip in NJ. Probably cannot see it, but there is a dainty fox on the outside of the right rail. It was so small it could run along the railhead. I got to drive for a while.

They weren't afraid you'd take a wrong turn?

Old 10-18-21, 01:53 PM
indyfabz

They weren't afraid you'd take a wrong turn?
True story: In college I had a FWB (before that term existed) who thought locomotives had steering wheels. When I told her otherwise, she asked "But how does it stay on the tracks?" Bless her little heart.

BTW...There is a Velcro harness system that immobilizes the steering wheel so you cannot steer it off the tracks.
Old 10-18-21, 01:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by indyfabz
True story: In college I had a FWB (before that term existed) who thought locomotives had steering wheels. When I told her otherwise, she asked "But how does it stay on the tracks?" Bless her little heart.

BTW...There is a Velcro harness system that immobilizes the steering wheel so you cannot steer it off the tracks.
I wonder if that, like so many safety devices, was added in response to discovering that somebody would do something nobody would have thought anyone would do. Like the sign on the dessicant pack in vitamins that says "Do Not Eat", or the one telling you not to stick your hand underneath a running lawnmower?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-18-21, 02:08 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
I wonder if that, like so many safety devices, was added in response to discovering that somebody would do something nobody would have thought anyone would do. Like the sign on the dessicant pack in vitamins that says "Do Not Eat", or the one telling you not to stick your hand underneath a running lawnmower?
Well, apparently there's an irresistible urge, amongst some, to stick one's hand down a running snowblower chute as well, so . . . . lol
Old 10-18-21, 02:16 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
LesterOfPuppets So you wait and wait for that pic of that rare oldie train and...

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/s...780295172?s=20
Ooof. 50/50 chance you get the wrong platform.
Old 10-18-21, 02:22 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
True story: My uncle was mowing tall wet grass and his mower kept clogging and dying. He was wearing ear protection and he thought the mower had died and lifted the deck and cut all 4 fingers off one hand.

The fingers were reattached but had to have a couple more surgeries to make them work properly. It was a success and you would never know it had happened.

Anyway, he grew up on a farm working around farm machinery and was an agg professor at a Big 10 university. However, like wood shop teachers that cut their fingers off, it only takes a slip of mind…

Old 10-18-21, 02:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Ooof. 50/50 chance you get the wrong platform.
Years ago, when The Older Boy was going through his "Obsessed with trains" phase (ages 2-6), it coincided with the completion of the restoration of SP 2472, a 1921 passenger locomotive. So it ran numerous excursions on the old SP tracks on the Peninsula. One time, we were there for the "Christmas Train", and as the train was pulling into the station, of course people were trying to get the best shots. I was videotaping. As I watched, some guy who'd set up on the other side of the tracks decided to move. He crossed the tracks no more than 2 seconds ahead of the engine barreling into the station. On the video, you could hear me say, "Jesus Christ!"

Old 10-18-21, 02:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've been trying to find shock mount bolts for my mtb. No luck and the dealer I got it from has changed hands and they weren't sure how to get them but I told them to hold off for now. I wrote an e-mail to the company (KHS) and a guy from there called me today to discuss things and told me he would send out some bolts, no charge.

Excellent service!
Hmm, maybe I should drop them a line about my '97 ish Montana Comp that I broke the right rear dropout on.
Old 10-18-21, 03:17 PM
indyfabz

Somewhere on my computer I have a photo of a pack of peanut butter crackers I bought during a tour. It warns consumers that the product contains nuts. It may even read “peanuts.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-18-21, 04:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8253 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Hmm, maybe I should drop them a line about my '97 ish Montana Comp that I broke the right rear dropout on.
Seems like a pretty old bike but you never know what they might have. I didn't expect to hear from them but the guy was on the phone with me twice to make sure he had things right.
Old 10-18-21, 06:07 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28566 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Nice tape job.
Finally someone noticed.
Originally Posted by rjones28
IKR. Looks like a classic ends-to-stem without reversing direction.
Because it's impossible to reverse directions and keep the dimples visible all the way around. TTKU
Originally Posted by LAJ
Now align the B's on the top cap properly, please
No. The camera angle makes it look worse than it is.
True story: My uncle was mowing tall wet grass and his mower kept clogging and dying. He was wearing ear protection and he thought the mower had died and lifted the deck and cut all 4 fingers off one hand.

The fingers were reattached but had to have a couple more surgeries to make them work properly. It was a success and you would never know it had happened.
wut

First, I wish my ear protection worked that good.

Second, he chopped his fingers off, and you now can't tell, but they say they aren't able to fix my joint that won't straighten out all the way?
Old 10-18-21, 06:08 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8800 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,709 Posts
Pretty slow night, everyone must be streaming the ALCS game 3 with Joe Suck at Fenway.
Old 10-18-21, 06:11 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Vol in case you missed it see below.
https://www.bikeforums.net/22273920-post2680.html
Old 10-18-21, 06:21 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,220 Posts

Anyway, he grew up on a farm working around farm machinery and was an agg professor at a Big 10 university. However, like wood shop teachers that cut their fingers off, it only takes a slip of mind…
My grandad lost an eye chopping wood on his parents farm back in the 20s. During World War 2 he tried to hide it to become a pilot but they figured it out. He painted P-47 thunderbolts instead.
Old 10-18-21, 06:28 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Finally someone noticed.

No. The camera angle makes it look worse than it is.
The parallax effect doesn't change the fact that the B is not even close to being inline with the split in the stem. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it was just a bridge too far.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 10-18-21, 06:30 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28566 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Pretty slow night, everyone must be streaming the ALCS game 3 with Joe Suck at Fenway.
Nope.
Old 10-18-21, 06:37 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,220 Posts
Bars and stem ordered.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 10-18-21, 06:38 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Nope.
I guess I can rule out you streaming the 1971 world series. The Pittsburgh Pirates vs The Baltimore Orioles. Fun fact: the first night game ever in the world series was in Pittsburgh that year. I watched it live.
Old 10-18-21, 06:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,832 Times in 3,140 Posts

Horrifying, but classic. Like as not, the fingers were reattachable only because he honed his blade to a razor edge like the pro he was and they came off clean as a whistle.
Old 10-18-21, 06:40 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Yep.

Now align the B's on the top cap properly, please. It looks like the Cane Creek is OK as long as it's Cane Creek on both sides.
The Bs have to either be inline or on either side of the centerline in a symmetric fashion. Anything else fails OCD scrutiny.
Old 10-18-21, 06:42 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts

Second, he chopped his fingers off, and you now can't tell, but they say they aren't able to fix my joint that won't straighten out all the way?
It took a few surgeries to make them perfect. Maybe he had better doctors than you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.