Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you sometimes feel like you hate your bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-10-18, 06:56 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok, maybe "hate" is not the right word, but there's been times when I've been out on a long ride, and I ask myself, "Why am I out here doing this?" Your muscles hurt, you are hot or cold. There's other things you need to be doing.
Ever what to throw your bike into the ditch?
But I think cycling may be my medicine. It calms much of what bothers me. But like a drug, it's effect is short lived, and I need more in a day or two. Once a long ride is over, I feel refreshed all over. Much of my body aches and pains seem to subside. My mind feels fresher, more clear, more positive, more excited about what I've just accomplished.
I may have met someone that day on a rest stop, or stopped to visit with someone along the road that was a pleasant experience.
But I don't intend to imply that the cycling experience is drudgery. There are times when you are pedaling, a gentle breeze blows in your face and all is well with the world. The endorphins kick in and you have peace in your mind. But often time, the hardest part of the ride is just getting motivated, to get from the couch to the bike. Once there, all is well.
Most of the time, I do enjoy my bike rides. But the biggest joy comes from the over all feeling I have, once the ride is over. I've biked border-to-border across a state 4 times. I can recall a few times on those rides, when I thought about throwing in the towel. But what wonderful memories I have of those efforts!
Anyone else relate?
Old 11-10-18, 07:17 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
Ok, maybe "hate" is not the right word, but there's been times when I've been out on a long ride, and I ask myself, "Why am I out here doing this?" Your muscles hurt, you are hot or cold. There's other things you need to be doing.
But I think cycling may be my medicine. It calms much of what bothers me. But like a drug, it's effect is short lived, and I need more in a day or two. Once a long ride is over, I feel refreshed all over. Much of my body aches and pains seem to subside. My mind feels fresher, more clear, more positive, more excited about what I've just accomplished.
I may have met someone that day on a rest stop, or stopped to visit with someone along the road that was a pleasant experience.
But I don't intend to imply that the cycling experience is drudgery. There are times when you are pedaling, a gentle breeze blows in your face and all is well with the world. The endorphins kick in and you have peace in your mind. But often time, the hardest part of the ride is just getting motivated, to get from the couch to the bike. Once there, all is well.
Most of the time, I do enjoy my bike rides. But the biggest joy comes from the over all feeling I have, once the ride is over. I've biked border-to-border across a state 4 times. I can recall a few times on those rides, when I thought about throwing in the towel. But what wonderful memories I have of those efforts!
Anyone else relate?
It can be a mind game, no question. But you are right, the good out weighs the challenges every time. Personally, I enjoy watching the miles accumulate on the odometer. It's like geez, if I bike 17 more miles this week I can hit 600 for the month.

I would say of the total overall experience, 5 percent of it is a negative, in my head.
Old 11-10-18, 07:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
sometimes I get bored with a bike so then I get another. I try to sell as I buy but sometimes there's some lag time until my selling catches up with my buying. the other parts about enjoying riding, well yeah
Old 11-10-18, 07:51 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I hated my Roubaix for the chattering chain, intermittent skipping gears, no matter how much I adjusted it after installing a new chain and cassette. Turns out I had the chain mis-routed outside the little bent tab on the lower cage. I rode it quite a way like that, including a rainy half century. I re-routed the chain properly and its all good now. The Roubaix is smooth, and and a pleasure to ride now. I don't hate the bike anymore, but sometimes I hate the stupid mechanic - me. 🤨
Old 11-10-18, 08:08 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Hate my bikes, NO.
However, do have a favorite.
Old 11-10-18, 08:09 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Not at all. Sometimes I even go out into the garage and look at my bikes adoringly. If I find myself riding so much that it feels like an obligation rather than something I look forward to I back off for a while. I'm not on any kind of schedule or set in stone training plan. Occasionally near the end of a riding season I'll be looking forward to a break, but that's about the extent of it.
Old 11-10-18, 10:18 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hate my bike? Never!

However, I do hate the goatsheads/sandburrs, and broken glass that make me have to walk.
Old 11-10-18, 11:33 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
But I think cycling may be my medicine. It calms much of what bothers me. But like a drug, it's effect is short lived, and I need more in a day or two.
I can definitely relate to that!

There's certainly times when I'm out there, in the middle of some steep hill in the middle of nowhere, sweating or freezing or cussing the wind, wondering what on earth made me think this was a good idea. But it usually is a good idea, and it's rare that I've regretted going for a ride.

My first century was simultaneously one of the most awful and most amazing experiences. Since then, everything else has just been chasing the dragon. I have yet to catch the dragon.
Old 11-11-18, 12:47 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Never, not ever.

I am entering my third week of a long hiatus due to a broken ankle.

I miss my bicis so much.
Old 11-11-18, 01:06 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 943 Posts
"Feed me Seymour"

...this ditch bank plant on my everyday route always reminds me of the Little Shop of Horrors plant. I can relate somewhat on really long distance rides where everything starts hurting. I had the same feelings in a 4-5 hour round of golf where I start getting bored with how much of the day I'm devoting to this activity. I've found my sweet spot on bike riding is between 25 to 40 miles.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 11-11-18 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-11-18, 01:10 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes. Mostly it seems like there is a cause for the feeling which I can eventually identify.
First big thing I figured out, at about age 48, was asthma. Had it all my life and didn’t know it. I thought it was my fitness, or lack of mental fortitude. No, I just wasn’t getting air into my blood.
Another was that I was always really uncomfortable on the bike. Butt, hands, legs. Thought that if I just rode more, I would get tougher. No, I am a big guy, 6’6”, riding tiny little tires on an overly rigid bike with a series of crappy seats and bars.
Then, especially as I got a little older, my legs would blow far too soon. Again, if I could just ride more, get stronger. No, my cranks were way too short. I put on longer cranks, and suddenly I was coming home from long rides with fresh legs.
Finally, I always dreamed of epic rides, 3 days non-stop, like Randonneurs. But no, I am not built for that.

I do exceed my comfort zone now and then. It is easier to be stoic and finish a ride without some of these problems hitting me like a ton of bricks. And understanding the feeling when it hits, like an old friend I don’t really like, I can get through it.
Old 11-11-18, 01:41 AM
mchb

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
We have a love/hate relationship though I only really hate it when something isn't working as it should! It drives my OCD nuts until I eventually track down the annoyance and fix it!
Old 11-11-18, 01:56 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Your post reads like a paradox full of contradictions. It also recognizable since I've been there many times. My conclusion is its not about the bike but the journey. Sometimes its a pleasant one, sometimes it isn't.To make sure my cycling is always a pleasant experience I make sure (as best I can) the benefits outweigh the negatives.

For instance, I know I don't tolerate cooler temperature so if the temp. is going to drop below my tolerance I won't go out. There's also roads, days and time of day that I try to avoid. To put it simply you may just be bored and need a change of environment, or may just need to take a break.
Old 11-11-18, 02:53 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
In general I love all my bikes as I only ride for leisure so each ride is usually very enjoyable - I avoid bad weather.

However, when I had a brake issue with my new CrossTrail, I actually hated the bike for a while. I spent weeks trying to resolve the brake issue by myself and then managed to strip the threads in the rear brake calliper. I had no option but to hand it in to my Specialized shop who sorted out the brake issue for me. Now all is well. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so any imperfections on my bikes tend to play on my mind.
Old 11-11-18, 05:41 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
I could no more "hate" my bike than "hate" my dog

I see your point, but look at it differently. If having a bad ride I blame it on weather, traffic, roads, route planning, personal conditioning, etc. If the bike is not riding right, I blame myself for neglecting to maintain it.
Old 11-11-18, 07:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
In my mountain biking days I can remember pushing my bike up some single track hill and thinking "This would be a pleasant hike if I wasn't pushing this **** bike."
Old 11-11-18, 08:54 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I did a trip on the C&O canal in June of this year, it was the trip from hades. My brooks saddle of many years had now become an instrument of torture I was short of breath and tired the whole trip, a storm came through knocking down many trees across the trail, we spent 3 hours going about as many miles to get through them. At the end of the trip I thought about selling my bike that I had built from a frame and really like for 25 dollars. I since resolved all the issues causing me problems, my beloved brooks saddle now resides in my box of saddles and another with a generous cut out takes it’s place. The shortness of breath and tiredness was a new reaction I was having to long term meds I was taking. Went on another tour this fall and all is well with the universe and I love my bike again. So yep love of your bike has limits.
Old 11-11-18, 09:00 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Never. I love my bike. I may hate the fact that I didn't get enough sleep, or the weather sucks, and my ride is especially difficult. But I always love the machine.
Old 11-11-18, 09:12 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
This summer I did a 70 mile ride, half on gravel, about 6000' of climbing. It had the potential to be nearly perfect. The last 12 miles ended up against a gale force wind, into the rain, and of course uphill.

I think it took nearly 2 hours to ride what normally would have been 35 minutes. I might have hated my bike a little bit then. The feeling faded quickly though.
Old 11-11-18, 09:24 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Hate my bike? Never. Hate the conditions (road or weather)? Definitely!

I always feel better after a ride -- sometimes for days. I don't think of it as endorphins kicking in - I attribute it to the good aerobic exercise burning all of the nasty toxins from my body. Back when I was a young foolish lad in college and drank too much, I'd get up at first light, assemble the bike and go out for a 40-60 mile ride. I'd come back two- to three hours later as my roommates were just waking up nursing their hangovers, and I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!
Old 11-11-18, 06:44 PM
timsmcm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never ever ever. All my rides are good some are better and some are great. I have several types of things I like to do but cycling is my favorite thing in the world.
Old 11-11-18, 06:46 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Only hate it when I get a tick, click or a creak I can't get rid of.
Old 11-11-18, 06:59 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Hate no, but I’ve fallen out of love with bikes for various reasons. The disc brakes I thought I wanted I soon hated. The delicate lightweight vertically compliant laterally stiff carbon race frame the industry told me I needed yet was outdated 11 months later soon became something that always needed attention.
Old 11-12-18, 08:46 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Hate my bike? Never. Hate the conditions (road or weather)? Definitely!

I always feel better after a ride -- sometimes for days. I don't think of it as endorphins kicking in - I attribute it to the good aerobic exercise burning all of the nasty toxins from my body.
Sounds like something that lady I ride with on occasion would say. She says, "You have to ride to get the crud out of your body".
Old 11-12-18, 08:47 AM
5kdad

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
The disc brakes I thought I wanted I soon hated.
Now you have me wondering. I've never had a bike with disc brakes. Planning to buy a tour bike next spring and planned to get them. What was your problem with disc brakes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.