Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose a hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 04-27-20, 08:38 AM
Tophy_Dee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Curiosity got the best of me. Why did you choose a hybrid? Any particular reason?

I have had mountain bikes and a few road bikes in the past. I never got into mountain biking as much as I did road cycling. The road bikes are obviously much faster and a great time for sure! I recently discovered hybrids and tried one out one day. I was sold from day one. I feel like the hybrid style bike is more “me” and fits my personality if you will! I love how fast and agile they are even though they’re a bit heavier. Definitely feel much safer when I’m out on my rides too. Lastly, I love the flat handle bars hybrids come with!

So why did you choose a hybrid? Cheers!
Old 04-27-20, 05:01 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Some days I just want to jump on the bike with a T-shirt/cargo shorts. My 90's rigid mountain bike with slicks became my Go To bike but I felt it was time to modernize my ride. ie. 700c wheels, disc brakes, Urban frame geometry and comfort.

The days of stretching on the lycra shorts, finding a matching skin tight jersey and wadelling in my road cleats are numbered for this Old fart. Besides, I've seen my reflection in the windows and it ain't very complementary no matter what my wife says......but I digress

Last edited by Speedway2; 04-27-20 at 05:04 PM.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 04-27-20, 11:19 PM
Tophy_Dee

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Some days I just want to jump on the bike with a T-shirt/cargo shorts. My 90's rigid mountain bike with slicks became my Go To bike but I felt it was time to modernize my ride. ie. 700c wheels, disc brakes, Urban frame geometry and comfort.

The days of stretching on the lycra shorts, finding a matching skin tight jersey and wadelling in my road cleats are numbered for this Old fart. Besides, I've seen my reflection in the windows and it ain't very complementary no matter what my wife says......but I digress

haha thanks for the message! I agree, it’s a pretty versatile type of bike. Can totally ride one with regular street clothes and tennis shoes. Also way cool that you converted your mountain bike to a hybrid. As a semi-newbie, I wouldn’t have thought of this.
Old 04-28-20, 03:24 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Tophy_Dee
Curiosity got the best of me. Why did you choose a hybrid? Any particular reason?

I have had mountain bikes and a few road bikes in the past. I never got into mountain biking as much as I did road cycling. The road bikes are obviously much faster and a great time for sure! I recently discovered hybrids and tried one out one day. I was sold from day one. I feel like the hybrid style bike is more “me” and fits my personality if you will! I love how fast and agile they are even though they’re a bit heavier. Definitely feel much safer when I’m out on my rides too. Lastly, I love the flat handle bars hybrids come with!

For the comfort! I have a 20 mile a day commute.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 04-28-20, 12:35 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I have mostly hybrids for the same reasons you like yours. They're easy and pleasant to ride. I'm not a hard-core cyclist, whatever that even means. :-) I just enjoy being outdoors and on two wheels. I don't care for drop bars. I don't care for the position you get on most mountain bikes. I don't care for the super upright nature of cruisers (or the weight, gearing options, etc.). Hybrids are a good fit for me. I have a Giant Roam, which is a dual sport type hybrid and a Redline MTB that I've more or less turned into a hybrid. I also have a '90s Trek MultiTrack 750 that is really sweet to ride. And a '70 Peugeot mixte that is basically like a 50 year old version of what something like a Specialized Roll is today (sort of). This style of bike is super fun to me.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-28-20, 02:01 PM
Tophy_Dee

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I have mostly hybrids for the same reasons you like yours. They're easy and pleasant to ride. I'm not a hard-core cyclist, whatever that even means. :-) I just enjoy being outdoors and on two wheels. I don't care for drop bars. I don't care for the position you get on most mountain bikes. I don't care for the super upright nature of cruisers (or the weight, gearing options, etc.). Hybrids are a good fit for me. I have a Giant Roam, which is a dual sport type hybrid and a Redline MTB that I've more or less turned into a hybrid. I also have a '90s Trek MultiTrack 750 that is really sweet to ride. And a '70 Peugeot mixte that is basically like a 50 year old version of what something like a Specialized Roll is today (sort of). This style of bike is super fun to me.
I completely agree! I don’t consider myself hardcore either haha just enjoy the cruise and being outdoors on a fun yet versatile bike!
Old 04-28-20, 02:55 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 587 Posts
Heh! Everyone's reasons will be unique. In my case, I ride 'hybrids' simply because for no good reason that I've ever heard road bikes with flat bars/bar ends, as opposed to drop bars, are classified as 'hybrids'.

Makes no sense to me, but there it is. My bikes are a 'hybrid' of nothing; they are road bikes: gearing, tires/wheels, ride position -- 'road bike'. They are designed to be ridden on roads. And yes, even at my advanced age I still stuff my decrepit carcass into lycra, and clip-in to my pedals.
Likes For badger1:
Old 04-28-20, 03:17 PM
Tophy_Dee

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Heh! Everyone's reasons will be unique. In my case, I ride 'hybrids' simply because for no good reason that I've ever heard road bikes with flat bars/bar ends, as opposed to drop bars, are classified as 'hybrids'.

Makes no sense to me, but there it is. My bikes are a 'hybrid' of nothing; they are road bikes: gearing, tires/wheels, ride position -- 'road bike'. They are designed to be ridden on roads. And yes, even at my advanced age I still stuff my decrepit carcass into lycra, and clip-in to my pedals.
i definitely like your take on this!
Likes For Tophy_Dee:
Old 04-29-20, 02:41 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I had a 90's Giant AT 740 that I rode for 20+ years and decided to upgrade it..new tires, Jones H-Bars,Brooks B17 saddle, new Shimano chain,cassette and crankset and then some sob stole it..broke my heart so I bought a Cannondale road bike and just didn't like it, so then I bought a Jamis Coda and put Jones H-Bars and a Brooks B17, Race Face Chester pedals on it and now I'm happy again (I truly hope I never see my old Giant with someone riding it)
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 04-29-20, 09:55 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
My first bike as an adult was an MTB, a 1993 GT Corrado, which I rode on pavement 90+% of the time. By today's standards it would be a fat tire, steel, rigid-fork hybrid. My 2nd MTB, which is a 2004 Raleigh M60 "Mountain Sport" (read: NOT a real MTB), has been modified so much it's really all hybrid now. And I own a 2012 Specialized Sirrus Elite.
  • I like the positioning of the shifters and brakes.
  • Comfortable upright-ish riding position.
  • Takes bumps better due to larger tires.
  • I feel safer on rides through busy streets as I feel like I can stop much quicker. Plus I'm not going as fast to begin with.
  • Old guy friendly.

I'm not exclusively a hybrid rider as I now have 3 road bikes and 2 hybrids. Last year it was the other way around. But with a hybrid there's just a quality of ride I don't get with a road bike. I guess I could have bought a gravel bike for 2 million dollars , but hybrids can be found for much less!
Likes For Doctor Morbius:
Old 04-30-20, 03:30 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Since I was going to have just one bike, yet I ride in very different conditions, from commuting on streets in various states of disrepair to 100+km rides on pavement to gravel to sandy/rooty forest trails and sometimes the odd shortcut through a forest floor vegetation, meadow or similar completely off-road conditions, I wanted the bike to be able to do it all. I want to go where I wish and not be held back by the capabilities (or lack thereof of my bike), and at the same time be able to cover large distances relatively fast and comfortably. Thus far I have been able to do it all on my Focus Crater Lake.

I guess some of the more rugged type gravel bikes would do the job too, but they are generally more expensive and aren't yet as popular around here to offer much choice in the used market.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 04-30-20, 04:06 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts

Chose a Trek DS because it's sort of a hybrid. More MTB, to handle cruddy roads and occasional off-trail. But much "road" civility in it. Darned long top tube, for me, even for the relatively puny frame size I selected, but otherwise a nice fit. I knew I could put on a wider/fatter wheelset and a more-upright riding posture (via stem/bars/saddle), and I'd have what amounts to a hybrid commuter with extra capabilities and "MTB" gearing. Works for me.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 04-30-20, 01:59 PM
Okiewan

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX3 Disc, Townie 7D (her's)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Speedway2

Nailed it. I avoid reflections/mirrors at all costs. I'll be 60 in August (I can't believe it), I'm in it now for the exercise and riding around the 'hood with my wife (Townie 7d). Just picked-up a new bike Tuesday (and recently joined here), a 2020 FX3. As I'll be riding some hardpack fairly often, I ordered a pair of G-One Allround tubeless in 700x38 and a Commuter Comp saddle for my sore backside. A little wider and more padding than the stock item, without looking grandpa (which I am). I'm good to go! Love the hybrid.
Likes For Okiewan:
Old 04-30-20, 07:37 PM
Bloodsoed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like having options when I ride. I can take some of the smooth streets around town or detour and take some of the old farm rounds in the country
Old 04-30-20, 09:09 PM
FuruiiJitensha

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me I am getting back into bikes after years away and to get back into shape. I will ride on pavement 90% of the time and prefer thinner wheels than a MTB.

As I'm just getting back into it, I am not looking to spend much, and after a year may revise the type of ride I want.

Last edited by FuruiiJitensha; 05-01-20 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typos
Likes For FuruiiJitensha:
Old 05-01-20, 11:48 AM
delacrue96

Bikes: 2003 Women's Trek 7200 Multirack 15 inch Dusk Blue

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm petite and was looking for a smooth easy ride for streets, dirt paths and hills. I love the front and seat suspension.
Likes For delacrue96:
Old 05-01-20, 02:05 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
It's a great bike for rails to trails and gravel riding. Where I don't care for drops (am out of the wow factor I used to be when I USED to want a gravel bike). I like the geometry where I can view my surroundings really well but am also not completely upright.

It's also a nice rails to trails touring bike. Where it can be loaded up for a multiple day tour.

It's nice to be able to switch the tires and or wheels to a variety of sizes and styles that suits the ride I'm taking. Very easy to upgrade components.

It's just a great all around bike style that is used not so much for impressing others, but to be enjoyed on with some great rides!
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 05-01-20, 09:02 PM
Adonis72

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I consider myself a cyclist and I've done a lot of road cycling and mountain biking over the years(few thousand miles a year). I recently purchased a Specialized Sirrus to do more green way rides and to just be able to get on a bike without a kit and just ride. I have enjoyed my hybrid much more than I expected and if I could only have one bike I'd probably pick my hybrid. They are faster than a mountain bike, more comfortable than a road bike in my opinion and I don't have to wear spd's and lycra just get on and go. Also getting a little older have had neck issues and shoulder surgery and it's easier on my body.
Likes For Adonis72:
Old 05-03-20, 06:55 PM
Gangplank
Back-to-the-Bike

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I was in my 20’s & 30’s I used to ride a mountain bike with semi slicks w/ knobs on the side on the rear wheel. I’d ride it on the roads 60% of the time, hop curbsI always used to wonder why they didn’t make mountain bikes that were more in between.

i stopped riding for 15 years give or take. Decided to get back into it. The mountain bikes they make these days are overkill. Made foverbuilt for Clydesdales (no offense meant). I’m 5’9 & 185 but the modern bikes are made for people 6’5 & 300.

I got a Trek Dual Sport. It’s between geometry, mountain bike like gearing with wider rims seems like a do it all sort of bike I can take for a daily ride, then on the weekend keep up with road bikes on a longer ride, and maybe hit a gravel or light dirt trail now and then.

Took it for the first ride today & I like it. Looking forward to getting some miles in.
Likes For Gangplank:
Old 05-04-20, 08:09 AM
Tophy_Dee

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bloodsoed
I like having options when I ride. I can take some of the smooth streets around town or detour and take some of the old farm rounds in the country
This for sure. I love riding on paved roads or light dirt roads that I happen to come across!
Old 05-04-20, 08:11 AM
Tophy_Dee

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gangplank
When I was in my 20’s & 30’s I used to ride a mountain bike with semi slicks w/ knobs on the side on the rear wheel. I’d ride it on the roads 60% of the time, hop curbsI always used to wonder why they didn’t make mountain bikes that were more in between.

i stopped riding for 15 years give or take. Decided to get back into it. The mountain bikes they make these days are overkill. Made foverbuilt for Clydesdales (no offense meant). I’m 5’9 & 185 but the modern bikes are made for people 6’5 & 300.

I got a Trek Dual Sport. It’s between geometry, mountain bike like gearing with wider rims seems like a do it all sort of bike I can take for a daily ride, then on the weekend keep up with road bikes on a longer ride, and maybe hit a gravel or light dirt trail now and then.

Took it for the first ride today & I like it. Looking forward to getting some miles in.
Congrats on the new bike! To many many more rides!
Old 05-04-20, 08:15 AM
Tophy_Dee

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Adonis72
I consider myself a cyclist and I've done a lot of road cycling and mountain biking over the years(few thousand miles a year). I recently purchased a Specialized Sirrus to do more green way rides and to just be able to get on a bike without a kit and just ride. I have enjoyed my hybrid much more than I expected and if I could only have one bike I'd probably pick my hybrid. They are faster than a mountain bike, more comfortable than a road bike in my opinion and I don't have to wear spd's and lycra just get on and go. Also getting a little older have had neck issues and shoulder surgery and it's easier on my body.
I do love how easy it is to just grab the bike and head out for a ride. If I’m just cruising around the neighborhood or bike path then I’ll just hop on in whatever clothes I’m wearing, typically athletic wear (running shorts, sweat wicking shirts, tennis shoes.) If I am going on a longer ride, 20+, then I’ll do the whole Lycra wear just to be comfortable. All in all it’s well- rounded, adventurous bike!
Likes For Tophy_Dee:
Old 05-05-20, 10:30 AM
EGBigelo

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I do love how easy it is to just grab the bike and head out for a ride. If I’m just cruising around the neighborhood or bike path then I’ll just hop on in whatever clothes I’m wearing, typically athletic wear (running shorts, sweat wicking shirts, tennis shoes.) If I am going on a longer ride, 20+, then I’ll do the whole Lycra wear just to be comfortable. All in all it’s well- rounded, adventurous bike!
This sounds like me. I'm a roadie, but wasn't really into it last year so I picked got a Trek DS2. This year I'm less into my road bike and more into the hybrid, so much so that I'm looking for another one. Like you said, the ability to just jump on and ride, without getting all kitted up is great. And on the road bike it's just hasn't been enjoyable because I'm always riding to beat my last time, or do better than before, etc. So for now I use the road bike a couple times a week for fast, long rides where I'm focusing on fitness. And the hybrid on those days that I still want fitness, but also just want to enjoy riding a bike like I did when I was a kid.
Likes For EGBigelo:
Old 05-05-20, 11:42 AM
Tophy_Dee

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBigelo
This sounds like me. I'm a roadie, but wasn't really into it last year so I picked got a Trek DS2. This year I'm less into my road bike and more into the hybrid, so much so that I'm looking for another one. Like you said, the ability to just jump on and ride, without getting all kitted up is great. And on the road bike it's just hasn't been enjoyable because I'm always riding to beat my last time, or do better than before, etc. So for now I use the road bike a couple times a week for fast, long rides where I'm focusing on fitness. And the hybrid on those days that I still want fitness, but also just want to enjoy riding a bike like I did when I was a kid.
Could not have said it better myself! Thank you for sharing.