Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Basic Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 05:20 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 87 Posts
Basic Speedometer

Can anyone recommend a decent basic device for showing speed? All I care about is how fast I'm going. Don't want all the bells and whistles.

Thanks
Old 10-05-21, 07:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
No one cares about all the bells and whistles. However you will probably not find anything that doesn't have stuff the you currently consider bells and whistles.

I'd suggest googling CatEye and look at their stuff. They've been around a long time in the non-gps cyclometer game.
Old 10-06-21, 08:22 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts

[size=13px]You might check this out, Giant's Axact 6. Its$30here in Canada. [/size]

Tried changing the text, Nope that didn't work

Everything that goes on the first line is $&#ked up.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 10-06-21 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-06-21, 08:56 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Amazon tells me I've purchased 7 of these over the last 5-6 years. Minimal setup (wheel circumference and imperial units). They work fine and compare accurately with friends speed/mileage output from different units. Never had one fail. Change the batts once every year to year & a half..and they work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-06-21, 09:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie

[size=13px]You might check this out, Giant's Axact 6. Its$30here in Canada. [/size]

Usually [right click] <paste as plain text> works for me.

But if you are on a phone instead of a PC, then I don't know what to suggest other than maybe paste it into an SMS message then re-copy it.
Old 10-06-21, 09:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by fishboat
Amazon tells me I've purchased 7 of these over the last 5-6 years. Minimal setup (wheel circumference and imperial units). They work fine and compare accurately with friends speed/mileage output from different units. Never had one fail. Change the batts once every year to year & a half..and they work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7 in the last 5-6 years? For different bikes I hope and all still working. Otherwise that makes my 12 year old Garmin Edge 500 a real deal for being inexpensive in the long haul.
Old 10-06-21, 10:10 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
7 in the last 5-6 years? For different bikes I hope and all still working. Otherwise that makes my 12 year old Garmin Edge 500 a real deal for being inexpensive in the long haul.
Yes..7. Between my numerous bikes, my GF bikes, bikes I've purchased..refurbed and given away as gifts...7. I'm surprised it isn't more. They're all working without any drama. Just change the batts occasionally. They go into sleep mode fairly quickly. Even with bikes I ride all the time the batts last at least a year(CR2032 in the head unit and A23 in the fork pickup).

This unit is sort of like floor pumps. There's been many long and drawn out threads here on floor pumps. Lots of folks spend big-ish money on all the cool-hot names. Yawn. I was out of town a few years back and forgot my (pricey-ish)floor pump). Went to Target..the only option around at the time.. and bought a Schwinn floor pump for $19. (White..big gauge on it..dual head). It works perfectly and has for several years now..I keep it at my GF's place when we ride from there. Lots of volume, good gauge, head fits presta tight..what's not to like..? If I needed a new one..that's what I'd get. If one is concerned about fancy "kit"..then paint it flat black..that's always a big deal..it seems.
Old 10-08-21, 11:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie

Click the "Edit", then the "Source" box to strip out unwanted tags. Sometimes it's easier to paste text copied from a formatted web page to a plain text editor, then copy that and paste to a post here.
Old 10-09-21, 06:12 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
The INBIKE IC-321 Wireless is the Best one that you can find.

I am going to tell you how to BEST ATTACH this SPEEDOMETER onto any Vintage or Ancient bike with a Blade or Narrow Fork.
This is also my preferred method of attachment period on any bike.
While I installed about 15 of these units on to bikes with a professionally designed piece of my own that looks factory, it is functionally no better or worse than a more simplistic attachment solution that my neighbor devised using a Binder Clip after seeing my adapter.
OBTAIN ONE BINDER CLIP THAT IS THE SAME APPROXIMATE WIDTH AS THE SENSOR UNIT.
ordinarilly these INBIKE IC-321 Wireless Speedo SENSOR is designed to mount on to a fat round "broomstick" like fork...
WHAT I AM DOING IS Constructing a Mount That instead Hangs The Sensor OFF , under the LEFT FRONT AXLE NUT.
Why the BINDER CLIP?
well the BINDER CLIP gets Clamped on to the WIRELESS SENSOR at the end where the zip tie holes are.
what you do is clamp it on, where it does not obstruct the battery compartment opening......okay once you test fit that you know where to clamp it,,,,YOU THEN APPLY EPOXY taking care not to get any where it will glue the battery compartment. REMOVE THE ONE CHROME STEEL WIRE HANDLE THAT YOU WILL NOT NEED...Then Get some ordinary black sewing thread (color doesn't matter except since the plastic is black, well black will look better......Anyone remember golf clubs from 40 years ago when Woods were wood and most wood heads had thread whipping around the neck where the shaft entered the head........WELL IN THIS SITUATION HERE, THIS THREAD IS GOING TO BE USED TO ANCHOR THE ONE CHROME STEEL WIRE HANDLE SO IT CANNOT MOVE......think of some cowboy getting tied up by the Indians in some old Western tv show.......you're gonna wrap the black thread around to keep the One Chrome STEEL WIRE Binder Clip Handle permanently stationary...which it will be after wrapping it with enough sewing thread, you saturate the thread with EPOXY all around and once that EPOXY sets, aint nothing ever gonna move. -----Still don't understand what the hell is going on? WELL WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS USING THE Binder Clip and ONE OF THE ITS Steel Wire HANDLE ears to Hang the sensor from the left axle nut.......That steel Chrome Binder Clip handle wire is pretty strong, so if you might have to slightly bend it a tiny bit to get the Angle of the sensor in relation to close proximiity to the sensor magnet on the spoke, you'll likely need pliers to to that as your fingers likely won't be strong enough.
****DON'T LAUGH , WE HAVE INSTALLED THIS INBIKE IC 321 ON OVER 30 OLD BIKES, mostly Schwinns but many other makes, with narrow forks where it would be otherwise impossible to securely mount a sensor.
Maybe after you see a detailed picture of a BINDER CLIP, you'll see what I mean
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binder_clip

HERE is the OWNERS MANUAL in pdf for the INBIKE IC-321 (It is a rebranded version in the pdf, but it is exactly the same unit, and the instruction manual is in English and Czech)
https://www.kupkolo.cz/data/files/ma...0-11_21-22.pdf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293341112660

it is $12.93 with free shipping from that USA seller (293341112660 on da bay) I'm not certain that is the lowest price from a US based supplier but typically these have been somewhere in the $12.50 to $15.00 range with free shipping from various US SELLERS and from about $10.50 to 13.45 from ShenZhen and Shanghai based sellers for THE WIRELESS Inbike IC-321..........now certainly you always have others that are charging a heck of a lot more but that range is for the better price offerings with FREE SHIPPING for the WIRELESS version.
Now there have been two different screen colors available, white and green. Almost all of the many that I have bought were the white screen version, but I purchased nearly all of them prior to 2018 or 2019. I have ordered from a dozen different Chinese sources, and was probably one of the first to use this IC-321 in North America, as for a number of years it was only available direct from China as there were no distributors, no youtube reviews, no web reviews, nothing on it. The thing that made me initially choose to souce it from China was both the SIZE OF THE FACE display of MPH (or KM if you live outside the USA) & the ODOMETER in the top RIGHT CORNER, this is not the trip odometer it is total cumulative like your car. The other thing is that I prefer the two CR2032 button batteries than the way that the old dumb bike computers were powered in the early eighties. Yes, this INBIKE IC-321 is one of the BEST "DUMB" Bike Computers if you just want a great large Speedo readout and the ODOMETER in top right corner and time of day in top left corner. The remaining functions are essentially stopwatch like functions and there is no uploadable or downloadable SMART ability, as it is a DUMB computer just like something from 1982 but with a much better visual readout on the SPEED. Now, the wired version will be the most accurate. THE SPEED that you are traveling at will not register accurately on the WIRELESS unit when you are proceeding from a stop until the point that you reach about 4 or 5 miles an hour, for those two seconds the display might show some number like 65 for 3/4 of a second and then become precisely exact, as to how relevant that brief 65 mph calculation impacts your computation of average speed, it probably is immaterial as that period of time is so short that it wouldn't matter but I'm just telling you that this is a common occurance with this Wireless unit. You can get a super precise TIRE CIRCUMFERENCE measurement on your tires and input that and your speed will be as precise as anything can get. NOW THE OTHER THING THAT I'LL SAY IS THAT FOR THE FIRST MINUTE OR TWO WHILE YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO PROGRAM(set up) YOUR Inbike IC-321 for the first time, MY SUGGESTION IS THAT THE QUICKEST SOLUTION TO START OVER IF YOU INPUT SOMETHING WRONG OR HIT THE WRONG BUTTON, is to just REMOVE the BUTTON BATTERY from the speedo head unit AND RE-INSERT IT and that ZEROES OUT ANYTHING THAT YOU'VE ALREADY INPUTTED. You can for example set any starting ODOMETER number that you want, for example if you think your bike has done 6348 miles in its lifespan so far, you can input that, but it will turn over to ZERO again once you pass 9999 or when the BATTERY DIES or IS REMOVED, so you do want to keep a good close ballpark number of odometer mileage should that occur. You also want to probably keep your measured or calculated wheel circumference written down somewhere if you don't want to calculate or measure again. IF YOU WERE AT LEAST DECENT IN MATH BACK WHEN YOU WERE IN SCHOOL, then You Will Remember that two pi r "TWO PIE ARE " will give you the circumference of your wheel.

Walmart online carries the INBIKE IC-321 through an outside vendor and it is more than on Ebay
https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-321-B...eter/456458965

Amazon has it too

THERE IS NO REASON TO CHOOSE THE WIRED VERSION. Why have an unsightly wire. Yeah the wired version is less expensive at under $10 but these speedometers are super inexpensive too in the wireless version at only $3 more.
YOU WON'T FIND A BETTER "DUMB" WIRELESS COMPUTER FOR TWICE THEIR PRICE!!!

I hope this explanation has been helpful.

Last edited by Vintage Schwinn; 10-09-21 at 06:20 AM.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn: