Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C & V pet peeves!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C & V pet peeves!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 01:50 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I am reconsidering......

As long is it's Safe....Do what works for you....if you choose to.
You have to be careful there. We might not need no steenking badges, but most of us WANT headbadges. Si, senor? 🙃😁😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 11-09-22, 02:07 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Hi-viz anything, unless it's clearly an 80s reference.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 11-09-22, 02:25 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Bars taped bottom to top
some dingus wrote this in a Craigslist ad* :

* ok, it was me.
Old 11-09-22, 03:43 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I resisted, but oh, what the hell.

Bicycle Specialization Syndrome, or BSS. It's a collection of bs beliefs I see circulate. Examples:

-Bicycles require special lubricants. No, they don't. It's a freaking bicycle.
-Big box bikes can't be repaired and will fall apart. Always uttered by bike "mechanics" and always followed by the reasoning (if you can call it that) that they are assembled poorly and use crappy components. Both of those things may be true, but are fixable and can be taught to the average twelve-year-old. "Oh, the welds are crappy." Ever seen the brazing on a Raleigh from the '70s? Welds can be fixed, too, which could be easily done by just about any real mechanic. Google search "cracked titanium frame." Did all those people get what they paid for? I have a Chinese Next here that was ridden hard and chucked to the curb, and it is welded nicer than my '73 Super Course's brazing. It didn't break! Lots of bikes fall apart, even the expensive ones. Certain Trek seat stays and forks, Ultegra Hollowtech cranks, Campagnolo cranks, and many, many others.
-Good steel bikes are only made from 4130 Cro-moly, 531, Colombus, etc. Right. That high end tube set really made all the difference in getting any non-competitive rider anywhere ever. Never mind frame geometry, wheel/tire choice, bars/saddle, gearing, etc. Right. Any good frame builder could totally make a fool out of the connoisseurs of ferrousness, most of whom don't actually know anything about steel.
-Bicycles always need special bikey tools. Sure, some things do require special tools - crank pullers, cassette/freewheel tools, cone wrenches, and the like. But mostly, ordinary socket sets, combo wrenches, hex keys are vastly superior to the sea of cheap, flimsy, stamped sheet metal "tools" marketed to bike customers.
-Throw in any other nonsense about needing at least 105 to be "serious", or SPD this or that, etc. "I'm a serious cyclist. The name on my crankset/downtube/helmet/billboard says so!"
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-09-22, 05:37 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Bottle cage clamps placed on top of decals. I always find a way around this!

Noisy under-saddle bags, clanging tools or whatever.
Bags that hang by the stitching that attaches the straps, instead of having the straps go up between the saddle rails and then out to encircle the bag.

Jagwire's over-length, loud-looking ferrules, accentuating their crooked exit from a loose-fitting housing stop and forcing sharper bend in the housing.

Levers set too low on the bars (bars usually tipped up to compensate, or not).

High-friction cabling used with high-effort derailers, think Varsity. The uncomfortable saddle and thinner, vinyl-wrapped (7/8") steel bar add to the need for immediate modifications. Yeah, I got carried away.

Age-hardened cable housing vinyl that tinks and clacks against frame tubing, bars/stem or even adjacent cabling.

Axles that are driveside-spaced too long for the freewheel's width, leaves the axle unsupported and never helps the chainline.

Overly-long bottom bracket spindles.

Saddles tilted or slammed rearward.
Leather saddles that look like they've sagged too far.

Indexed downtube levers. I honestly prefer friction unless we're talking integrated shifters and Hyperglide.

Salmon-colored brake pads, only because black compounds grip better. (I rarely ride in the rain, and the pink pads are only a little better then).

Group riders who show up wearing bulky clothing that obscures a trailing rider's vision.

Riders who never check the condition of their road pedal's plastic cleats or the bolt tension. Accidents waiting to happen.

Having to use the wrong hoods on Shimano AX-era levers.

Difficulties servicing older Phil hubs (luckily not needed often).

STI cables left to rub through unprotected headtube paint.

Regarding marble bar tapes, it looks absolutely great on certain bikes, like the black/yellow on my (black) 1995 Mondonico-built Masi, or the red/orange on my 2005 Litespeed Siena.
The multi-color "marble" tapes however, were nicknamed "clown vomit" for a reason I guess.

When a stem's bar-clamp bolt breaks while merely loosening it (after noticing that the bars had suddenly started creaking). Uneasy feeling from that encounter.

When a Vintage Bianchi's frame turns out to have 5mm holes drilled into it's butted seat tube, hidden by bottle cage. This and the above both on the same bike!

Last edited by dddd; 11-09-22 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-12-22, 08:30 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
When people pick a frameset clean they selling like a thanksgiving turkey!

Why do people remove a headset, especially something like just an Ofmega, Tange, 105, or any really, from a frame they are selling? Same goes with the seatpost binder and dropout adjusters

On my recent purchase I specified I wanted the headset so didn’t have to hassle with finding one the correct size, and it appeared to a basic no frills black one anyway. well the shop that did a lousy job of packing the frame removed the fork (why I don’t know it wasn’t like they then cut the box smaller) but didn’t put the bearings in the box!

They also took off the seatpost binder bolt, now I need to scrounge one of those.

thankfully they left the dropout adjusters. I don’t know though if they were left behind because they were bent and couldn’t be easily removed or if they got bent in shipping.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-12-22, 11:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

Why do people remove a headset, especially something like just an Ofmega, Tange, 105, or any really, from a frame they are selling? Same goes with the seatpost binder and dropout adjusters

On my recent purchase I specified I wanted the headset so didn’t have to hassle with finding one the correct size, and it appeared to a basic no frills black one anyway. well the shop that did a lousy job of packing the frame removed the fork (why I don’t know it wasn’t like they then cut the box smaller) but didn’t put the bearings in the box!

They also took off the seatpost binder bolt, now I need to scrounge one of those.

thankfully they left the dropout adjusters. I don’t know though if they were left behind because they were bent and couldn’t be easily removed or if they got bent in shipping.
Preach it sister!
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-12-22, 02:27 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts

I have to stop myself from doing this. It's compulsive behavior. I think I would disassemble everything in a room i'm left alone in if i had slightly less self control.
Likes For Soody:
Old 11-12-22, 05:02 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Soody
I have to stop myself from doing this. It's compulsive behavior. I think I would disassemble everything in a room i'm left alone in if i had slightly less self control.
Thats called Tweaking and it’s a whole different issue. LOL.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-13-22, 11:15 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Thats called Tweaking and it’s a whole different issue. LOL.
I ain't touchin' that one. 😁😉

Why do some companies still put bottle cage braze-ons right where the front derailleur has to go? 🤔

Are they "trying" to upset me? 😵🙄😉

Obviously, you can just use those thick washers, but why not just mount the braze-ons 6" higher? 🙃
Likes For stardognine:
Old 11-13-22, 11:27 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I hate bicycles. Every. SIngle. Part. Of. Them. I hate the wheels, the derailleurs, the cranks...all of it. The older they are, the worse they are. I especially hate bicycles that look like they were actually ridden.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 11-13-22 at 11:48 AM.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 11-13-22, 11:38 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by stardognine
I ain't touchin' that one. 😁😉

Why do some companies still put bottle cage braze-ons right where the front derailleur has to go? 🤔

Are they "trying" to upset me? 😵🙄😉

Obviously, you can just use those thick washers, but why not just mount the braze-ons 6" higher? 🙃
“Aesthetics Mr Douglas…. aes·thet·ics. They do it thataway soes it looks nice”.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-13-22, 06:43 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Indexed downtube levers. I honestly prefer friction unless we're talking integrated shifters and Hyperglide.
I know it's not C&V gospel, but I really like my indexed Campy 8 speed downtube shifters.

Salmon-colored brake pads, only because black compounds grip better. (I rarely ride in the rain, and the pink pads are only a little better then).
I can't do salmon on aesthetic grounds. Delicious, though.

STI cables left to rub through unprotected headtube paint.
Right lever to left stop, left lever to right stop, cross cables under downtube. (Under BB cabling only.)
Old 11-13-22, 10:48 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
Continued

WRT to being able to see the hub marking through the valve stem hole, this seems . exactly opposite of what I think would look best! If the valve stem naturally descends to the lowest point, then shouldn’t the hub marking be visible on the top of the hub? This standard causes the hub marking to be unreadable when the valve stem reaches its lowest position.
Old 11-14-22, 12:47 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by p!n20
i know it's not c&v gospel, but i really like my indexed campy 8 speed downtube shifters....
me too!
Old 11-14-22, 10:06 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I always seem to see oversized older road bikes where the SR LaPrade seatpost is "slammed" so low that it is messing up the seat clamping cluster.
Old 11-14-22, 10:27 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
I've been sold on salmon pads ever since I moved to the PNW (where, of course, we get a bit more rain than you do). But they do seem to wear out faster. Just before starting out on our recent Neal Lerner tour of the PNW I put in new salmon pads. 4 days later they were pretty worn, I swapped them out at a bike shop with black ones. We didn't have rain the last 2 days to test them, but in dry weather they work just fine, and to my memory, last longer. This make sense, as black pads have carbon black in them, which is the typical tire additive to improve wear.
Old 11-14-22, 10:38 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by P!N20

I can't do salmon on aesthetic grounds. Delicious, though.

Oh man, I grabbed a container of smoked salmon dip a couple nights ago, that just blew my mind. Made by little short Japanese ladies, so who knows what kinda magic they did on it. 🤔😋👍
Likes For stardognine:
Old 11-14-22, 10:39 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I've been sold on salmon pads ever since I moved to the PNW (where, of course, we get a bit more rain than you do). But they do seem to wear out faster. Just before starting out on our recent Neal Lerner tour of the PNW I put in new salmon pads. 4 days later they were pretty worn, I swapped them out at a bike shop with black ones. We didn't have rain the last 2 days to test them, but in dry weather they work just fine, and to my memory, last longer. This make sense, as black pads have carbon black in them, which is the typical tire additive to improve wear.
I tried the Kool Stop salmon Shimano inserts but did not understand the "wings" on the back. I could never get them adjusted to my satisfaction and found that the wear was exceptionally fast. For where I ride the hills in the rain in SW Ohio, I could go through 2 sets of these per year.
Old 11-14-22, 10:46 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

“Aesthetics Mr Douglas…. aes·thet·ics. They do it thataway soes it looks nice”.

Mr. Douglas: "Oh, for the love of....Haney, get that truck out of here." 😁😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 11-14-22, 11:51 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
This standard causes the hub marking to be unreadable when the valve stem reaches its lowest position.
The markings on my Velox rim tape are unreadable unless I have the tire off. But I make it readable from the drive side anyway.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 11-17-22, 09:25 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I fixed a flat tonight on the bike I hope to ride tomorrow and after airing it up, I noticed that the label isn't aligned with the valve stem. I'm only slightly peeved though. A bourbon neat should fix that. The peeving that is, not the label.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-17-22, 09:52 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
You mean ... like this? muahahaha:

EXQUISITELY drilled (and steerer tube extended) by the one and only Paul Brodie. Mmmmmm .. tasty.
That's the other thing I don't like to see in a track fork - a sloped crown My other pet peeve is PINK!
Old 11-17-22, 10:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
I was trained to set bikes up the way Italian racers did. My boss was persnickety. So am I by nature, and I try to beat back that tendency.

A couple of years ago, I was setting up a bike for myself, and my intuition told me to rotate the bars back a bit. OK, a bit better. Then I tipped them back a bit more, and oh my goodness, I'm in heaven, why did it take me so long? It looks bad and feels good. I'm leaving it this way.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-18-22, 12:33 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
that steel wire stuck in your foot

blunt cable cutters that worked yesterday but decided to shred my new cable today. Inevitably when I've been working where I shouldn't and even a magnet
wont pick up all those little pieces of steel wire. Bring on the spotlight, tweezers and duct-tape as the nearly invisible wire is stuck in my foot.
Not my peeve, using the kitchen as a workshop,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.