Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Marzocchi Bomber oil level?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 09:53 PM
Jbtvt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently picked up an older FSR with a 2006 VF2 bomber 66 (I think, vs the 888, no numbers anywhere on it) and am looking to service the shocks.

marzocchiworkshop.blogspot.com/p/oil-quantitys-and-levels_858.html (please excuse formatting, not enough posts to make a real link) - says to fill with 190ml "both legs". Watching a few videos of the process it doesn't seem like anyone else is getting nearly that much old oil out or new oil back into their Bombers from various other years. Then this page - pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=121775&pagenum=1 someone was saying to ignore the factory recommendation for 280ml and fill only with 50ml [edit, reading again it seems like he may have meant to remove up to 50ml from the stock levels which would make more sense]. Is is standard to dramatically underfill oil levels like this or should I go with what Marzocchi Workshop says? The 190ml factory spec would be for "each" leg when it says "both", I assume? I'm 200+ lbs if that matters. Thanks

Last edited by Jbtvt; 05-31-23 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-01-23, 10:38 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
i've always added the amount called for by Marz, then pumped the forks up and down until i knew there were no major bubbles in the lowers, then tested the fork for decent travel... i then add or remove oil as needed from each side and scribe the approximate amount on the fork for future re-oils.. and MEASURING to the top of the oil is a great way to gauge oil required too... that is how most M/C forks are tuned for rider preferences.... I also scribe the Air Pressure on the fork for easy reference in the field.

multiple sources quote the "190ml" amount for your fork.. try it, then tune as needed... the recommended "Amount" is usually too much.
The Factory also DIDN'T put enough oil in that fork when assembled!.. This was reported by at least two owners.

7.5 wt., add oil, pump fork slowly until you no longer hear gurgling, slow-pump it some more, test... set LEVEL by adding or sucking some oil out of each side, test again.. repeat until happy.
putting the removed fresh oil back into the measuring cup then doing some math will give you a future amount to use... but, IMO, the final "caps off, fork collapsed" OIL LEVEL is easier to use.

i'd imagine there are videos online showing the re-oil servicing procedures.

Last edited by maddog34; 06-01-23 at 12:12 PM.