Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rim Brakes On Disc Wheelset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rim Brakes On Disc Wheelset

Old 05-19-23, 01:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yes, the OP could do that. But I think Psimet2001 was referencing the original question, part of which I've pasted below:
​​​​​​
The OP's frame does not appear to have any mounting points for rim brakes, so the answer (to this question) is a hard 'no.'
Oh, I gotcha, thanks for clarifying.
The OP has disc brakes, the new 105 stuff would work with the disc brakes, the new wheels would be disc wheels, but they still wanted to go to the rim brake route? Yeah I definitely didnt track that part of things.
Super confusing thread.
Old 05-19-23, 01:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh, I gotcha, thanks for clarifying.
The OP has disc brakes, the new 105 stuff would work with the disc brakes, the new wheels would be disc wheels, but they still wanted to go to the rim brake route? Yeah I definitely didnt track that part of things.
Super confusing thread.
I'm not sure the OP even knows what he wants to do, so everyone's confusion is perfectly justified.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-29-23, 10:30 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 620 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not sure the OP even knows what he wants to do
I totally disagree, I'm sure he doesn't...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 06-01-23, 09:15 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
does your Contend have skewers, or thru-axles?
Old 06-01-23, 12:13 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
12mm thru-axles, and I would be happy to stay with disc brakes if I can find mechanical disc brakes.
Old 06-01-23, 12:42 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
check out JensonUSA.com. I purchased Shimano and Roval wheelsets from them before. Their prices are competitive compared to others
Likes For ussprinceton:
Old 06-01-23, 02:13 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
12mm thru-axles, and I would be happy to stay with disc brakes if I can find mechanical disc brakes.
You already have mechanical disc brakes. Just use those.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-01-23, 04:37 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
This is the kind of stuff I am getting lost on. This isn't a "choice". You have a disc brake bike. You will be staying with disc brakes or you will have to get a different bike. So what's the actual question? I get that I am not combing through this thread for all the specifics but some of these responses seem to imply to me a basic lack of understanding of what is actually going on or what's possible.

It's like saying, "I'm happy to continue using a power cord to deliver electricity to my computer if I can find the right color of power cord."

or "I'm happy to continue to use a front wheel on my bike if I can find the right wheel."

Old 06-01-23, 06:38 PM
spinconn

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Yes, that is correct, I truly have not understood this. I now have learned what I think is the missing link for me, the specific shifters I would need to use my existing brakes. I had read I could not use part of a groupset, but needed the whole thing because of a compatibility issue, so I thought use of my existing brakes was out. I did not want to pay for the cost of a groupset with hydraulic brakes so I thought if I could buy a mechanical brake groupset I might be able to use it with my wheels, but I could not find one with disc brakes for sale. I did find groupsets with rim brakes for sale but wondered if they would work with my wheels. That is why I asked the original question. If I understand correctly now, if the new groupset has the correct shifters it will work with my disc brakes, but I also need to make sure I have 105 compatible wheels. I am sorry for all the confusion, and the apparent consternation it caused, but I do appreciate all of the efforts to enlighten me.
Likes For spinconn:
Old 06-02-23, 02:26 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Yes, that is correct, I truly have not understood this. I now have learned what I think is the missing link for me, the specific shifters I would need to use my existing brakes. I had read I could not use part of a groupset, but needed the whole thing because of a compatibility issue, so I thought use of my existing brakes was out. I did not want to pay for the cost of a groupset with hydraulic brakes so I thought if I could buy a mechanical brake groupset I might be able to use it with my wheels, but I could not find one with disc brakes for sale. I did find groupsets with rim brakes for sale but wondered if they would work with my wheels. That is why I asked the original question. If I understand correctly now, if the new groupset has the correct shifters it will work with my disc brakes, but I also need to make sure I have 105 compatible wheels. I am sorry for all the confusion, and the apparent consternation it caused, but I do appreciate all of the efforts to enlighten me.
This part makes me hesitate - As someone who is a wheel manufacturer I am not familiar with what you are trying to say with this.

Yes - buying a mechanical group and using it with mechanical disc brakes that were meant for road pull ratios would work. "Any" wheelset that is a disc brake wheelset that fits your dropout standards on your frame and have a Shimano HG spline that is compatible with your drivetrain capacity that fits your frame will work. 105 doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the wheel compatibility at this point.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-03-23, 11:26 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
It seems my original post was confusing so I will explain more. I have a Giant Contend 4 AR, which has the Claris groupset and mechanical disc brakes, and it is a medium size frame. I wanted a Contend 1 AR, which has the 105 groupset and hydraulic disc brakes but none were in stock anywhere near me and for some reason dealers far away are not allowed to ship this bike to me or to another dealer. So, I got the AR4 and, as it turns out, I love the bike and especially how well the frame fits me. So, I thought I could upgrade it to the AR1 level by getting a 105 groupset and better grade wheels, but the price for the hydraulic brake 105 groupset was more than I want to spend on an upgrade, so I was thinking of getting the rim brake version which is considerably cheaper. I did not know if it was possible to use rim brakes on a bike set up for mechanical discs, hence the original question.

I have received so many warnings in the responses to this thread I have decided to forget about the upgrade. I will keep looking for a medium AR1 and just buy a second bike if I find one, but I am now getting tempted by the AR1 in medium/large as they are in stock online and I can have one shipped to my LBS. Won't fit as well but I may give it a try.

​​​​​​Well a second bike is NEVER a bad thing. 😁

― Bruce Lee
Old 06-04-23, 06:41 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
​​​​​​Well a second bike is NEVER a bad thing. 😁
I thought N+1 was a rule. Follow the rules.