Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drop your heels!

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Drop your heels!

Old 12-04-20, 12:47 PM
  #1  
ryan_rides
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
ryan_rides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 273

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Drop your heels!

This is something I struggle with. Not sure why but I have to actively think about dropping my heels throughout my pedal strokes. I usually donít do it. I have a bike fit. My bike is comfortable to me. I just know that youíre supposed to drop your heels and recently a rider last Saturday told me that I should drop my heels while riding. Is there a way to train myself to change my pedal strokes so that it becomes natural?
ryan_rides is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 01:24 PM
  #2  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 919 Times in 567 Posts
If you do train yourself to do that,

then your fit won't fit.
woodcraft is offline  
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-04-20, 01:27 PM
  #3  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 615 Posts
If you're naturally comfortable not dropping your heels, why are you trying to drop your heels?
HTupolev is online now  
Old 12-04-20, 01:35 PM
  #4  
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 911

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I had to learn to drop (well, keep it horizontal) to match the (now prhosthetic) left foot. It took a little lowering of the saddle and some practice to remember to flat-foot it more. I rarely need to remember doing it now.
But, really, if what you do is comfortable, I don't see any need to do things differently.
CargoDane is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 01:50 PM
  #5  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 41,623

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 556 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21158 Post(s)
Liked 7,670 Times in 3,606 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
If you're naturally comfortable not dropping your heels, why are you trying to drop your heels?
This. Most likely whatever your most comfortable "natural" style is going to be ok.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-04-20, 01:59 PM
  #6  
Iride01 
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 13,759

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5613 Post(s)
Liked 4,281 Times in 2,948 Posts
There are better things to concentrate on. This is much like red bikes being faster.

If you already have strong calf muscles, then I guess maybe you should see what they'll do for you. So compare your data.

Don't forget to lower your saddle while you are being a heel dropper and raise it when you go back to not being a heel dropper.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 02:15 PM
  #7  
spelger
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 2,007

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 594 Posts
i thought toes pointed down was the correct stance. that makes the heels go up...no? have i got it wrong?
spelger is offline  
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-04-20, 02:24 PM
  #8  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 615 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i thought toes pointed down was the correct stance. that makes the heels go up...no? have i got it wrong?
Jacques Anquetil pointed his toes down, and by most accounts, he was pretty good at riding a bicycle.

But Eddy Merckx tended to drop his heels. Was Merckx riding in an "incorrect" stance?
HTupolev is online now  
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 12-04-20, 02:59 PM
  #9  
MoAlpha
ē ó
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 11,562

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9588 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,882 Posts
Mess with biomechanics you don't understand at your peril.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 12-04-20, 03:44 PM
  #10  
ryan_rides
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
ryan_rides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 273

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Jacques Anquetil pointed his toes down, and by most accounts, he was pretty good at riding a bicycle.

But Eddy Merckx tended to drop his heels. Was Merckx riding in an "incorrect" stance?
Iíve been told both. But I see most pro riders pedal with heel down. Not during the sprint of course. I guess itís more of a ďfullĒ pedal?

I come from riding fixed gear so I think thatís why I donít do it.
ryan_rides is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 03:51 PM
  #11  
mack_turtle
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,398

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I'm no roadie, but when I read this thread title, I thought about my experience with mountain biking. dropping your heels on bumpy, bouncy, momentum-killing is a great idea because it helps drive your body weight into the pedals as obstacles on the ground continually push back. If you're clipped in, this can save your calves a lot of strain. If you're riding flat pedals, it is essential to keeping your feet on the pedals and, therefore, your face out of the dirt.

On the road, I would think it would help lower your CoG. that's helpful in some situation. more importantly, it would save your calves from strain. there's probably a middle ground where it's useful in some situations, just like standing/ sitting, spinning mashing, and using different parts of your handlebar are the best depending on the situation.
mack_turtle is offline  
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-04-20, 04:19 PM
  #12  
ryan_rides
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
ryan_rides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 273

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I'm no roadie, but when I read this thread title, I thought about my experience with mountain biking. dropping your heels on bumpy, bouncy, momentum-killing is a great idea because it helps drive your body weight into the pedals as obstacles on the ground continually push back. If you're clipped in, this can save your calves a lot of strain. If you're riding flat pedals, it is essential to keeping your feet on the pedals and, therefore, your face out of the dirt.

On the road, I would think it would help lower your CoG. that's helpful in some situation. more importantly, it would save your calves from strain. there's probably a middle ground where it's useful in some situations, just like standing/ sitting, spinning mashing, and using different parts of your handlebar are the best depending on the situation.
Yes, it definitely relieves my calves of strain when I drop my heels. But I wish that I didnít have to think about doing it to do it. I think that riders that drop their heels more naturally have more developed calf muscles. Iím hoping 2021 comes with more riding for me and more training miles. Hoping to double what I did this year. I know I said that I have a bike fit and feel comfortable but I also think I need shorter cranks.
ryan_rides is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 06:42 PM
  #13  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 4,444

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
If you want to drop your heels, lower your saddle.

Not sure why you want to do that, though. Some people drop their heels, some people don't. Usually the people that do have lower saddle positions than the people that don't.
rubiksoval is offline  
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 12-04-20, 06:51 PM
  #14  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,915
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4698 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
This is something I struggle with. Not sure why but I have to actively think about dropping my heels throughout my pedal strokes. I usually donít do it. I have a bike fit. My bike is comfortable to me. I just know that youíre supposed to drop your heels and recently a rider last Saturday told me that I should drop my heels while riding. Is there a way to train myself to change my pedal strokes so that it becomes natural?
Utter nonsense.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-04-20, 07:12 PM
  #15  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,357
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked 2,090 Times in 1,179 Posts
Used to be called "ankling"; long since debunked.
Trakhak is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 08:38 PM
  #16  
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 911

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Used to be called "ankling"; long since debunked.
"Ankling"LOL, I learnt something new today.
CargoDane is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 09:32 PM
  #17  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7,253
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6495 Post(s)
Liked 10,141 Times in 4,344 Posts
I've been riding a long time, and I have no idea what the OP is talking about.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-04-20, 10:28 PM
  #18  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 919 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Used to be called "ankling"; long since debunked.

I don't think that's what the OP is asking about ,

but I actively thought about ankling BITD, & developed a good case of tendonitis.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 10:48 PM
  #19  
masonv45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Arlington, TN
Posts: 134

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
I find if I focus on using my hamstrings more, my heels will naturally drop ....
masonv45 is offline  
Likes For masonv45:
Old 12-05-20, 12:05 AM
  #20  
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 4,981

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Liked 4,054 Times in 2,197 Posts
Have always ridden with my feet parallel to the ground on my road bike. Never knew there were any benefits to a heal-down attitude. Can someone point me to some hard research that shows an advantage? Thanks
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️








rsbob is offline  
Old 12-05-20, 04:34 AM
  #21  
nomadmax 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 825 Posts
Heel drop is a byproduct of saddle height and set back. Sometimes it has it's advantages, sometimes it doesn't. OP, make sure the bike fits you (starting with saddle height/set back) and then pedal the way you do naturally. With time on task you'll develop "your" pedal stroke. The only part of the pedal stroke I've ever concentrated on was the bottom when both pedals (one at 12 o'clock and the other at 6) are out of battery. Sweeping the bottom pedal back with a slight heel drop (like you're scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe on a porch step) will put the pedal at 12 o'clock into battery more quickly and makes for a more consistent delivery of power. That kind of delivery minimizes surging and conserves energy.

One last thing; never underestimate the power of the mind when it comes to cycling. If you believe your fitness, technique or equipment makes you faster, it can. Don't doubt yourself, it will slow you down. The human body is an amazing machine, it knows how to adapt to just about anything.
__________________
nomadmax is offline  
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 12-05-20, 08:28 AM
  #22  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,915
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4698 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I have no idea what the OP is talking about.
Thatís understandable. He doesnít know what he is talking about either.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-05-20, 08:43 AM
  #23  
DaveSSS 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 7,091

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 418 Posts
I agee that ankling serves no purpose, but pulling up on the backstroke, what some describe as wiping mud off your shoes, can be effective on a tough climb. My speed and cadence go up if I remember to do that when I'm pegged in my lowest gear.
DaveSSS is offline  
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-06-20, 02:46 PM
  #24  
RockiesDad
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Heel drop is a byproduct of saddle height and set back. Sometimes it has it's advantages, sometimes it doesn't. OP, make sure the bike fits you (starting with saddle height/set back) and then pedal the way you do naturally. With time on task you'll develop "your" pedal stroke. The only part of the pedal stroke I've ever concentrated on was the bottom when both pedals (one at 12 o'clock and the other at 6) are out of battery. Sweeping the bottom pedal back with a slight heel drop (like you're scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe on a porch step) will put the pedal at 12 o'clock into battery more quickly and makes for a more consistent delivery of power. That kind of delivery minimizes surging and conserves energy.
X2. You might want to play with these two adjustment to see what feels more efficient to you when pedaling. Every one is different. Just yesterday this thought did cross my mind while riding and adjusted my pedal stroke to see what feels good and efficient. The position my seat was in seemed perfect because I could pedal with my heels up, mid and down without any side affects. After awhile I think I like flat the best for flat rides.

I sometimes put my heel down going up hills when seated which helps. It's sort of like having another tool in your belt to climb hills. I also put my toes down when standing going up hill. Having different techniques when doing things helps me climb better and also gives me things to think about when the pain starts getting the best of me...

No right or wrong here. Try it out and if you like it keep doing it. If not then don't worry about what someone else says to do...
RockiesDad is offline  
Likes For RockiesDad:
Old 12-06-20, 05:35 PM
  #25  
ryan_rides
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
ryan_rides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 273

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Thatís understandable. He doesnít know what he is talking about either.
Some people love to hate.
ryan_rides is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.