Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain jump on smallest cog, why?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 12:06 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

Under fairly hard load, I have chain jump when in the smallest cog. I have a 1x11 Shimano XT8000 Deore set up. The derailleur is the long cage with the clutch. Chain is Wipperman, and it's less than .5% worn, probably half that. I replaced the cassette and chainring at the same time, about 700 miles ago. Cables are also pretty new, probably about 700 miles. Same with new pulleys. When on the stand, the chain is not making noise when on the smallest cog, seems to shift fine onto that cog. I do ride lots of gravel, plenty of dirt.
Old 05-09-23, 12:44 PM
MTBroadcyclist2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experience

I have no experience with your setup. My experience is with 3x7 drivetrain. If it isn't the components that are worn, as you have expressed are highly unlikely, then adjusting the B screw of the rear derailleur has worked for me in the past, or replacing it with another, different model of rear derailleur. One of my earliest troubleshoots was just to replace the rear derailleur as a desperate attempt to resolve. Nowadays I have the tools and courage to tinker a little more to see what make is tick. For examply just last night I was prying my TY300 rear derailleur because the cage nearest the lowest cog was rubbing on the chain. I don't like people looking at me before I pass them. Tells me how bad of a bicycle mechanic I am. I hope that helps. I have also heard that if you don't buy your parts from reputable sellers that such can occur. I don't recognize your chain manufacturer and that could be it as well. I have bought so-called Shimano compatible chains only to have them skip after a month of everyday use. I have no such problems buying Shimano chain or other reputable chain sold at a bicycle store, not as severe as what you describe. I choose Shimano chain because, on average, I get the longest life (highest mileage) from it. So, assuming that the cassette and chainrings are legit then either the problem is your chain or B screw. Enjoy.

Last edited by MTBroadcyclist2; 05-09-23 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 01:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I assume you have looked to make sure there are no tight links in the chain. If there are, flex the chain side to side, loosen the pin a tiny amount with a chain riveter and/or lubricate it so the stiff link(s) rotate freely.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-09-23, 01:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
And as usual you should consider if the hanger or something is bent. And perhaps, though definitely not the first thing you should go mucking around with, perhaps your high limit on the DR is set wrong.

Might describe better what you mean by "jumping". When you shift into that small cog does it complete the shift immediately or is there a delay?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-09-23, 01:19 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I assume you have looked to make sure there are no tight links in the chain. If there are, flex the chain side to side, loosen the pin a tiny amount with a chain riveter and/or lubricate it so the stiff link(s) rotate freely.
How tight does it have to be to skip? I hot wax, so yes, they're REAL tight immediately after drying, but I "break" each link. I'm sure the links are still a little tight for the first few miles of riding, but I'm seeing chain jump even after 20 miles.

I just waxed it now, so I'll check the links today after my 20 mi gravel ride. But again, how tight is too tight for a chain jump?
Old 05-09-23, 01:23 PM
MTBroadcyclist2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain

Ya. I am now coming back to this after some thought but I see someone added what I hadn't put in my original reply. If the chain isn't sized correctly then it can skip. However in my experience it will only skip near the end of its life. So at first you probably wouldn't notice 4 or 5 extra links until about 25-50 hours of service prior to needing to do an overhaul (cassette, chainring, chain change).

Being retired is pretty good. Still learning and keeping fit at my will and not as a slave-to-the grind.
Old 05-09-23, 01:28 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Iride01
And as usual you should consider if the hanger or something is bent. And perhaps, though definitely not the first thing you should go mucking around with, perhaps your high limit on the DR is set wrong.

Might describe better what you mean by "jumping". When you shift into that small cog does it complete the shift immediately or is there a delay?
I get a complete and immediate shift onto the smallest cog. I pedal to get some speed, and then bear down fairly hard on the pedal, and it will skip off, and then back onto the cog, as if the cog/chain is too worn. When the bike is on the stand, the bike shifts fine. Shifting overall is pretty good, but I do have to finesse the barrel adjustment just right to get proper shifting from the 2nd largest to the 3rd, and from 9 to 10. If I adjust the barrel too far to get the 2 to 3 good, I sometimes have a problem with the 9 to 10. There's a very narrow range for getting both good.
Old 05-09-23, 01:32 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by MTBroadcyclist2
Ya. I am now coming back to this after some thought but I see someone added what I hadn't put in my original reply. If the chain isn't sized correctly then it can skip. However in my experience it will only skip near the end of its life. So at first you probably wouldn't notice 4 or 5 extra links until about 25-50 hours of service prior to needing to do an overhaul (cassette, chainring, chain change).

Being retired is pretty good. Still learning and keeping fit at my will and not as a slave-to-the grind.
I guess I'll have go research proper chain length. I thought I had, but like always, I forget.
Old 05-09-23, 01:45 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
As mentioned the most likely problem is with one or more stiff links which you can verify by feeling the chain as you rotate the pedals by hand. The other thing to consider is that on the smallest cog the derailleur is working the hardest to maintain tension on the spring and if the spring has fatigued it may no longer be providing enough tension. The spring may be able to be adjusted and it certainly can be replaced.
Old 05-09-23, 01:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Adjusting the barrel adjuster or inline adjuster is something that should only be needed once. At least until another time that the DR comes out of adjustment for some reason. IE the pinch bolt almost but not quite tight enough and the cable moves a little bit in it every great once in a while.

If you are having different results based on the cog you are in and have to adjust it often, then I'd think something else is up. Cables binding or not properly seated in their stops, ferrules and other terminations. Maybe just old and gummed up.

Though still, depending on what "jumping" is, I wouldn't rule out the stiff link or several stiff links. They'll be worse for a small cog and might not show their behavior on a larger cog since they don't have to bend as much around the radius of the cog. Also a bent DR hanger can cause all sorts of grief, some that may not be seen until you get in some of those smaller cogs.

Small being the ones with less tooth count right? Or do you mean small as in the low ratio cogs?
Old 05-09-23, 02:16 PM
MTBroadcyclist2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he means skipping forward like when what happens just before you need to do a drivetrain change. It's the only jumping I know of and I've been riding everyday since 2015.

Park Tool on youtube does a good job at sizing a chain. If you have a shimano drietrain it is simple. Wrap the chain around the largest cog at the back, largest ring on the front (without the chain going through any derailleur) and add 1 link; as described in the "How to Size a Bicycle Chain" video.

I myself download any useful videos just in case if the channel disappears, and store it on my NAS.
Old 05-12-23, 11:26 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Calsun
As mentioned the most likely problem is with one or more stiff links which you can verify by feeling the chain as you rotate the pedals by hand. The other thing to consider is that on the smallest cog the derailleur is working the hardest to maintain tension on the spring and if the spring has fatigued it may no longer be providing enough tension. The spring may be able to be adjusted and it certainly can be replaced.
Ok, so an update. I took the time after the chain waxing to do an even more thorough job of breaking the links, really working them back and forth. Before waxing, I checked the chain for stiff links. Didn't see any.

First ride, chain on the smallest cog seems better. Not 100%, but I think it required more torque to get it to slip. It still slips though. Regarding the derailleur spring, the XT8000 has a clutch. When it's locked, there's no movement of the upper part of the derailleur...that part is sprung. Is that the spring you were referring to? The hanging part of the derailleur, the ones with the jockey wheel, it's movement is locked, but the tension can be increased on the chain using the adjustment screw on the derailleur body. I adjusted it to increase the tension. Too much, and the shifting lever becomes too hard to operate on the larger cogs. In any case, the increased tension didn't seem to make a difference.

I have another idea. When I replaced the bottom bracket, I used only two spacers, one on each side. The Shimano brochure seems to indicate the use of two on the right side, but I only used one, since that's the way the bike was put together when I bought it. I'm wondering whether the chain is coming in on too much of an angle onto that smallest cog, and a little friction on the inside surface of the cog, may prevent the chain from seating properly sometimes. I'm using wax, so there's little lube on the side of the cog, Had I been using oil, the side of the cog would probably get some lube, (and dirt). Unfortunately I threw away that second spacer.
Old 05-12-23, 01:04 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Iride01
Adjusting the barrel adjuster or inline adjuster is something that should only be needed once. At least until another time that the DR comes out of adjustment for some reason. IE the pinch bolt almost but not quite tight enough and the cable moves a little bit in it every great once in a while.

If you are having different results based on the cog you are in and have to adjust it often, then I'd think something else is up. Cables binding or not properly seated in their stops, ferrules and other terminations. Maybe just old and gummed up.

Though still, depending on what "jumping" is, I wouldn't rule out the stiff link or several stiff links. They'll be worse for a small cog and might not show their behavior on a larger cog since they don't have to bend as much around the radius of the cog. Also a bent DR hanger can cause all sorts of grief, some that may not be seen until you get in some of those smaller cogs.

Small being the ones with less tooth count right? Or do you mean small as in the low ratio cogs?
Small meaning fewest teeth. My money is on the bottom bracket spacer. I only used one on the drive side, and the Shimano brochure seems to indicate two are required on a 68mm shell. I'll also research chain length too. Interestingly, I don't remember having this issue in the past, but cog and/or plate wear on the chain changes, (or dirt on the face of the cog itself) might have increased the friction on the chain. In other words, it may be that I'm cross-chaining too much, and friction between the side plate of the chain and the side of the cog prevents the chain from seating properly sometimes. When I had the bike up on the stand, I very slowly turned the crank while watching the chain as it went around the cog, and one time I saw one link not fully seat itself. I couldn't duplicate it though. High torque on the pedals might exacerbate the effect for some reason, increasing the friction. I'll try another 2.5mm spacer and see what happens.
Old 05-12-23, 08:49 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by MTBroadcyclist2
I think he means skipping forward like when what happens just before you need to do a drivetrain change. It's the only jumping I know of and I've been riding everyday since 2015.

Park Tool on youtube does a good job at sizing a chain. If you have a shimano drietrain it is simple. Wrap the chain around the largest cog at the back, largest ring on the front (without the chain going through any derailleur) and add 1 link; as described in the "How to Size a Bicycle Chain" video.

I myself download any useful videos just in case if the channel disappears, and store it on my NAS.
I just looked at thet Park page, The sizing method is different for 1x setups,
Old 05-12-23, 09:21 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 1,557 Times in 1,021 Posts
Are you sure it is skipping on that cog and not the chainring?
Old 05-13-23, 06:26 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Two points:

1. I don't trust the chain checkers. I'd use a 12 inch ruler. Gravel riding can wear a chain pretty quickly. Although you may have enough history to know what to expect.

2. I'd check hanger alignment if I've interpreted the barrel adjustment comments correctly.
Old 05-13-23, 09:10 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
if you have subjected the drivetrain to a lot of off road and dirt riding it may be that the small cog is worn.

it has the least surface area of any cog - all your riding effort is distributed on 5 or 6 teeth. Look at it real carefully.

also I do not understand how you can tell the chain is "point five percent" worn, that is a pretty small increment to be able to measure.

Not out of the question that chain wear and erosion of the cog teeth could combine to cause this behavior

/markp
Old 05-13-23, 03:46 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Kontact
Are you sure it is skipping on that cog and not the chainring?

Pretty sure.
Old 05-13-23, 03:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I bet if you used a Shimano XT(R) chain, it would work fine.
Old 05-13-23, 03:52 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by mpetry912
if you have subjected the drivetrain to a lot of off road and dirt riding it may be that the small cog is worn.

it has the least surface area of any cog - all your riding effort is distributed on 5 or 6 teeth. Look at it real carefully.

also I do not understand how you can tell the chain is "point five percent" worn, that is a pretty small increment to be able to measure.

Not out of the question that chain wear and erosion of the cog teeth could combine to cause this behavior

/markp
I measured the chain with a ruler, and also with both Park tools, the one with the two arms, and the one with the three arms. I estimated 0.025 by using a ruler. As for the cog being worn, I doubt it. It has only 700 miles on it, half gravel, half asphalt, but I don't use that cog very often. Now a damaged tooth is a possibility. I eyeballed it and didn't see anything, but I'll check again.

I'm guessing it's a combination of too much cross-chaining, together with the wax. I only used one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the bottom bracket, not the two that Shimano specifies. I'm hoping that's it, as it's an easy fix.

Last edited by Wattsup; 05-13-23 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-13-23, 03:57 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I bet if you used a Shimano XT(R) chain, it would work fine.
Maybe, although I don't remember having this problem before with Wipperman chains. I use the Wipperman because it has the quick link. I remove the chain often to wax it. I think the Shimano link is only rated for a few removals, right? I could simply use the Wipperman quick link with the Shimano chain. I'm going to try the bottom bracket spacer first, as I mentioned upthread.
Old 05-13-23, 03:59 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
Two points:

1. I don't trust the chain checkers. I'd use a 12 inch ruler. Gravel riding can wear a chain pretty quickly. Although you may have enough history to know what to expect.

2. I'd check hanger alignment if I've interpreted the barrel adjustment comments correctly.
I did use a ruler, as well as two different chain checkers. The chain has only about 700 miles on it.
Old 05-13-23, 04:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
Maybe, although I don't remember having this problem before with Wipperman chains. I use the Wipperman because it has the quick link. I remove the chain often to wax it. I think the Shimano link is only rated for a few removals, right? I could simply use the Wipperman quick link with the Shimano chain. I'm going to try the bottom bracket spacer first, as I mentioned upthread.
I use my Shimano quick-link the same way. So far, no issues. I also wax and change the chain every 250 to 300 miles.

Hopefully I am wrong about the Wipperman chain, but when I was considering it, I read some rather negative reviews and decided to stick with what works. (You can also use their link on Shimano chains, but I think Shimano calls theirs single use simply for liability reasons; they are being excessively cautious.)
Old 05-13-23, 06:51 PM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
My neighbor loves the wipperman chains. Personally, I don't care too much for them. I'd try swapping it out. Possibly checking rear bracket linemen as noted before.
I also re-use my quick links. I guess I'll find out how long I can push it.
Old 05-13-23, 09:57 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Could be the clutch needs maintenance? If you think it's a chain problem you could buy a new one. Not like you wouldn't need it in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.