Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Serfas FP-50 plunger broke

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-31-23, 07:45 PM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts

The plunger of my Serfas FP-50 broke off. It's the part that the o-ring fits into. It does not look like it's replaceable. Also Serfas does not sell this item as a replacement part. Part of the plunger is still in the shaft, (i.e., the shaft is the long tube that the pump handle attaches to.) The shaft is crimped where this part of the plunger sits. It's the crimp that holds the plunger in place. To remove the piece of the plunger that is in the shaft, I would have to uncrimp that part. If I can find the right glue, I think I should be able to glue the two pieces of the plunger back together. I suspect the plunger is made out of glass filled nylon, which is a hard material to find a glue for. Question: does anyone know what type of glue would work, or have any other ideas?
Old 05-31-23, 08:32 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
drill a small pilot hole into the plastic still in the shaft... go to the hardware store and get a countersink sheet metal screw... drill the o-ring holder/head of the plunger with a hole big enough to fit the screw through... countersink the plunger head just deep enough to fit the screw's head into it.
run the screw into the plunger head...
place epoxy on the screw threads AND in the countersink area... and then carefully twist the screw into the plastic in the shaft..
wipe away any excess epoxy.
let that sucker dry for a day or so.
put some vaseline on the o-ring, slap it all back together. and don't beat your pump up up again.

worth a try... remember to keep everything centered up and perpendicular where needed... and personally, i'd be tempted to true up the mating surfaces, or i'd make sure the faces mated up correctly to align things...... but i've got a great eye for that sort of thing... do you?

Example for design only.. your size needs will vary.....

https://accu-components.com/us/phill...d%20group%20#1

Last edited by maddog34; 05-31-23 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-01-23, 01:09 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Serfas stuff was always mediocre to pretty terrible but they at least did have a really good warranty and they would just replace the pump. You might take it back to the shop you got it from and they should be able to replace it for you.
Old 06-01-23, 07:03 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
A good project for those who have a lathe. I would think glue wouldn't be strong enough. Andy
Old 06-01-23, 08:42 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
IMO. plain and simply, Serfas products suck. I would trash it and get a better quality pump. Lezyne and Topeak both make affordable, good quality pumps.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-01-23, 01:17 PM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
put some vaseline on the o-ring, slap it all back together. and don't beat your pump up up again.
Thanks. And there are probably others like me on this forum, but in my neighborhood I'm getting a reputation as the guy that kids bring there broken bikes to for fixing. It's a bit rewarding, but it's Huffys and other department store bikes I typically see. I was patching a tube and one of the neighborhood kids probably broke it while my back was turned.

I was thinking about doing a similar fix, but as the other poster suggested, I'll see if my LBS will help me with the Serfas warranty .
Likes For truthseeker14:
Old 06-01-23, 05:38 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
@OP, consider what your time is worth.

Buy a new pump or get a used Silca off ebay and put a rebuild kit in it.

Don't mess around trying to repair that thing

/markp