Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to service old Campagnolo Record front hub?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 11:30 PM
xg43x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how do i disassemble an old campagnolo record front hub? i am having one hell of a time trying to figure that out. i have disassembled many front hubs but these are completely different as there is no way to use a cone wrench on these hubs. whats the trick?

this is exactly how my hub looks:

Old 01-03-10, 11:50 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by xg43x
how do i disassemble an old campagnolo record front hub? i am having one hell of a time trying to figure that out. i have disassembled many front hubs but these are completely different as there is no way to use a cone wrench on these hubs. whats the trick?

this is exactly how my hub looks:
The outside end of the hub shell comes off, revealing the flats for the cone wrenches. There's a special Campy tool for this (naturally), but you can do it with two screwdrivers prying up on opposite sides of the cap. Pry evenly- there's a hairspring between the cap and the shell that can get lost if you're too rough with it.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-03-10, 11:53 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Here's Park Tool's take on the old standard hub with loose bearings. Be sure to measure the bearings before replacing them. Grade 25 Chromium-Steel is the most commonly used ones:

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

And here's the Bicycle Tutor video:

https://bicycletutor.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/

Have fun!
Old 01-04-10, 01:24 AM
xg43x

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help! I got the hub disassembled and cleaned now i just need to grease everything and reassemble.
Old 06-02-23, 10:50 PM
equinoxranch

Bikes: Bottecchia (Carnielli) & Bianchi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
NO "trick" to the front (or rear). Easy as pie. The front cones require a 13mm cone wrench. The outside nut requires a standard 16mm box wrench. That's all, ever, period. Do NOT ever remove the dust caps. EVER! Once disassembled and fully cleaned, VERY lightly grease the races, make sure the bearings are fully greased in hand and the cone has a slight coating of grease for that part of assembly. For final reassembling, assuming the axle is perfectly centered (!!!), on final setting calibration, always set fractionally "loose", hardly detectable in hand......., you will feel it is not perfectly set. This applies to both front and rear........ When correct, the quick release - with proper closing pressure shores up the gap (wobble) for perfect pressure between the cone to bearings to race. Many times you have to go back and forth to get this set right. Yes, it can be a pain. But, it's the difference between your standard, everyday junk "wrench" job and true precision. Ask me why I have SR hubs/wheels from the 70's and 80's that have over 130K+ miles on them and are perfect. Once precisely set you can simply periodically regrease without disassembly through the side cap dust hole. Just a light application works well enough several times per year. Purge will come out between the con and cap. Many greases work perfectly, but I've always employed Phil Wood. It's the easiest to inject through the aforementioned cap hole.

On the rear you employ two 14mm cone wrenches per side.
Old 06-03-23, 10:16 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Does anyone keep track of records for stuff like this?
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-04-23, 12:09 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by equinoxranch
NO "trick" to the front (or rear). Easy as pie. The front cones require a 13mm cone wrench. The outside nut requires a standard 16mm box wrench. That's all, ever, period. Do NOT ever remove the dust caps. EVER! Once disassembled and fully cleaned, VERY lightly grease the races, make sure the bearings are fully greased in hand and the cone has a slight coating of grease for that part of assembly. For final reassembling, assuming the axle is perfectly centered (!!!), on final setting calibration, always set fractionally "loose", hardly detectable in hand......., you will feel it is not perfectly set. This applies to both front and rear........ When correct, the quick release - with proper closing pressure shores up the gap (wobble) for perfect pressure between the cone to bearings to race. Many times you have to go back and forth to get this set right. Yes, it can be a pain. But, it's the difference between your standard, everyday junk "wrench" job and true precision. Ask me why I have SR hubs/wheels from the 70's and 80's that have over 130K+ miles on them and are perfect. Once precisely set you can simply periodically regrease without disassembly through the side cap dust hole. Just a light application works well enough several times per year. Purge will come out between the con and cap. Many greases work perfectly, but I've always employed Phil Wood. It's the easiest to inject through the aforementioned cap hole.

On the rear you employ two 14mm cone wrenches per side.
You sure about that? Do you see an outside 16mm nut?

Old 06-04-23, 06:31 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
You sure about that? Do you see an outside 16mm nut?

That's a C-Record front hub, not a vintage Record front hub. Unfortunately, the OP's picture of the actual hub in question has disappeared in the 13 years since the question was first posted, so we'll likely never know if the OP was referring to a Record or a C-Record hub.

To service the C-Record hub, you need a special tool to remove the end caps on the hub shell to expose the nuts, as @Jeff Wills noted at the time:

For the older Record hub, a pair of 13mm cone wrenches will work.
Old 06-05-23, 09:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

To service the C-Record hub, you need a special tool to remove the end caps on the hub shell to expose the nuts, as @Jeff Wills noted at the time:
Astonishing, isn’t it, that threads I commented on are still being found and added to after more than a decade. It really makes me feel validated… or at least tolerated.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 06-05-23, 10:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Do I recall correctly that Campy Valentino/Gran Sport front hubs do use a 16mm lock nut? Andy
Old 06-06-23, 09:05 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Do I recall correctly that Campy Valentino/Gran Sport front hubs do use a 16mm lock nut? Andy
Both Record and Gran Sport/Tipo front hubs use a 16mm lock nut. Record rear hubs use a serrated locknut with 14mm flats, and Gran Sport/Tipo rear hubs use a 17mm locknut.
Old 06-06-23, 02:23 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
That's a C-Record front hub, not a vintage Record front hub. Unfortunately, the OP's picture of the actual hub in question has disappeared in the 13 years since the question was first posted, so we'll likely never know if the OP was referring to a Record or a C-Record hub.

For the older Record hub, a pair of 13mm cone wrenches will work.
The OP said there is no place for a wrench. Which other hub would that be?
Old 06-09-23, 11:03 AM
equinoxranch

Old 06-09-23, 11:51 AM
equinoxranch

KONTACT: The remarks in my original post were specific to the classic SR hub as demonstrated in the photo with the referenced 16mm outside nut/13mm cone. Whether of interest or not, this hub/wheel (and its rear brother) are now around 40 years of age with approx. 110k miles on same. All original spokes (2.0/1.8 with brass nipples) on the SSC's. 32x3X "Build from strength". I have no time for cutting corners and saving some ridiculous gram or two........

Last edited by equinoxranch; 06-09-23 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-09-23, 11:56 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
those are some beefy spokes for a front wheel.

Looks like an SSC rim however.

Very pretty

/markp
Old 06-09-23, 12:43 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Oh, c**p, I inherited a set of wheels with those hubs, and old enough I'll need to get inside. Is that tool unobtanium? It looks kinda like gear puller but suspect the exact size is critical. OK, a search for "Campagnolo hub tool" on eBay finds some, $150-$200; perhaps cheaper to discard the wheels and start over.

Last edited by tiger1964; 06-09-23 at 12:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-09-23, 04:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
One can pull off the conical dust caps that cover the axle's cone and lock nut with a thin blade. Of course there is the greater possibility of slight cosmetic marring than if the Campy tool was used. I've done a number of overhauls on these hubs (personal and customer) without using the tool. Just take care and "work" around the dust cap bit by bit. Andy
Old 06-09-23, 06:07 PM
equinoxranch

MPETRY : It looks like an SSC because............ It IS an SSC. They, along with the Nemesis are the only two I've ever run since they came on board. Beyond ballistic. Confident. They haul. Alas, only the Nemesis THANKFULLY are still being made. I genuflect before Ambrosio for that. Clinchers......?? How hysterical.

If you go back and re-read, the spokes are simply classic 2.0/1.8, or 14/15's. I honestly cannot imagine so much as THINKING of going lighter. No need. All this worthless lightweight insanity is, simply stated, at a minimum unreliable, or WORSE! No one wants to know of still standing UCI fastest course records from the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's when the lightest rig was coming in at 21lbs/9.5kg, earlier still 23lbs/10.5kg, all with friction shifters, a 5/6/7 cog rear, "etc.". It has become so plastic now. So plastic. So plastic. So soulless. So fay. So pre-assembled. So Made in China. Pure pop out plastic fantastic, etc....... Thank goodness I and others knew it when........
Likes For equinoxranch: