Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roadies, not on board with assist - prepare to be C&V'd

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roadies, not on board with assist - prepare to be C&V'd

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 03:33 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I look at it like an equalizer of sorts.

I have a full time job, and if I had the same amount of time to ride around all day I would be just as fast, if not faster than the A Group riders.
A group riders also have full time jobs.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 08-02-19, 07:32 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
A group riders also have full time jobs.
I would like to add, why is it so bad to ride in the B group? There are a lot of very good bike riders who are not able to put in the kind of time to ride with the A group. You can still have fun in a lower group.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 08-02-19, 07:49 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I would like to add, why is it so bad to ride in the B group? There are a lot of very good bike riders who are not able to put in the kind of time to ride with the A group. You can still have fun in a lower group.
Or even the groups under B? Nothing wrong with being out there just riding. That's me. Pretty sure I won't be climbing up the ladder either. I'm ok with that.

Last edited by seypat; 08-02-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 11:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sooner or later I'm going to rent an ebike for a day to see what the fuss is about.

Somebody told me it's crucial to get all the watts you can, but then said it's silly to use good tires because the motor is doing the work for you. So I don't really think it'll be my thing. I'm going to park where the jeep is, ride it 8 miles, lock it to a tree and go hiking, then ride it back to my car. The shop is ok with this, but merlin thinks I'm giving up.

Old 08-03-19, 01:11 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
LMAO! I predicted it would take up to 5 years for e-bikes to be taken for granted as regular bikes and for non assisted bikes to be considered out of date. Now it looks it will only take a year, maybe two at the absolute max.

For the luddites developing calluses and open sores on their fingertips, go ahead and be my guest: bang away. You'll be converted in no time at all, and this thread (and the various others) will only serve as embarrassing testament to your embarrassing 180 a year on out.
Old 08-03-19, 02:16 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Pfff.

Chalk and cheese.
Old 08-03-19, 05:33 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
anything that gets people out of cars should be celebrated vs damned. personally not a fan of e-bikes but comparing them to non-motorized bicycles is silly.
we don't expect all cyclists to ride the same, why should we expect all cyclists to commute or exercise or adventure the same? many non-motorized cyclists
exhibit the same behaviors towards motorized cyclists as auto drivers do towards non-motorized cyclists. i'd rather have a populace grappling with how best to get to
work (whether ridesharing/light rail/heavy rail/subway/cycling/e-biking/hitching/walking/bussing/scootering/skateboarding/any combo) vs just lcd deferring to driving solo.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-03-19 at 05:36 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-03-19, 05:49 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
no shame to be riding with the "b" group. they are possibly having more fun and reaffirming their love for cycling. the "a" group maybe got more exercise, killed it and maximized their time/effort.
there's a few months a year where i can hang with an "a" group for a ride or a portion of one. cycling is many things for many people. given the choice between rotating in a fast paceline and stopping to take
a scenic picture-no choice. stopping to take the pic wins every time. but that's just me. yrmv.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-05-19, 07:51 PM
fredzyn2

Bikes: Foil, Addict, Speedster, Spark 29, Unit SS, Trek 8000 gravel, Aitken S4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
LMAO! I predicted it would take up to 5 years for e-bikes to be taken for granted as regular bikes and for non assisted bikes to be considered out of date. Now it looks it will only take a year, maybe two at the absolute max.

For the luddites developing calluses and open sores on their fingertips, go ahead and be my guest: bang away. You'll be converted in no time at all, and this thread (and the various others) will only serve as embarrassing testament to your embarrassing 180 a year on out.
I’m holding out for a real version of the “it” bike from South Park (NSFW warning if you google that.) Having a non-bicycle drive me around won’t make sense unless there are some other health benefits/pleasures that come along with it.
Old 08-06-19, 12:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
185 posts in this thread and e-bikes (or ebikes) have been mentioned 224 times..

One would almost think this thread belongs in the e-bike forum.

Of course there it would get the attention it deserves..which is not much.
I would disagree. I’ve read so many posts that confirm the presence of ‘e’ in every aspect and discipline.

from the hardcore unassisted roadie who ‘might try an ebike’ to get to some remote hiking trailheads. To the old guy who secretly wants to be able to hang at the back of his club ride. Commuters, couples, birdwatchers. Even sleek sexy racers. They’re everywhere! Unassisted is not the hot market for adult bikes.
Old 08-06-19, 09:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I think these were/are the GOAT of e-assist bikes.

Likes For seypat:
Old 08-06-19, 11:00 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think these were/are the GOAT of e-assist bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR1-UFrcZ0k
That’s one heck of a bunny hop! Not even Sagan can pull that one off!
Old 08-06-19, 03:10 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad

I'd like to know how you would quantify this. "Taken for granted as regular bikes" is a meaningless statement by itself. Do you mean number of sales of ebikes vs regular bikes? Just on the road side, or all disciplines? I'd be willing to take that bet if we're talking strictly road bikes. Unless road racing professionals turn to ebikes, I don't see it happening. There are far too many roadies obsessed with power numbers, fitness, competition, etc., and enough racers (of all abilities) who will still be buying regular road bikes to train hard or race. Road culture is one of conformity, and full of copycats and wannabes. If road racing is still a (mechanically) legitimate sport, and not some WWE soap opera with mopeds, then I would doubt the majority of road bikes in the market will be ebikes. Especially in two years.

Ebikes in general may gain a bigger market share, but even including all disciplines and types of bikes, I'll still bet mechanically unassisted bikes will dominate. I would not bet against the MTB side turning more and more into an e-"sport" though. Can't wait for that mess to unfold, especially WRT trail use and access.
Old 08-06-19, 05:49 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
I think I need to get one of these just to piss off the MAMIL roadies at the next club ride....definitely worth the $7000.....

Why would anyone be upset about a dude riding a moped
Old 08-06-19, 06:16 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Why would anyone be upset about a dude riding a moped
Agreed!

That Trek would just be my gateway drug for THIS!

Just try and drop me on that next hill!!

Old 08-06-19, 07:09 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn

Ebikes in general may gain a bigger market share, but even including all disciplines and types of bikes, I'll still bet mechanically unassisted bikes will dominate. I would not bet against the MTB side turning more and more into an e-"sport" though. Can't wait for that mess to unfold, especially WRT trail use and access.
I was in summit county last weekend. All the mup trails and every off road trail I saw was specifically signed no ebikes. I'm not sure how it would be enforced but they seem to be banned from Dillon to Glenwood.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 08-07-19, 09:36 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
We should be advocating for a class of vehicles between bikes and motorbikes - unlimited e-bikes.

Imagine controlling serious power with your pedal stroke... Specialized Turbo on roids, anyone?

With a full frontal fairing!
Old 08-07-19, 10:44 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Agreed!

That Trek would just be my gateway drug for THIS!

Just try and drop me on that next hill!!

Not hot.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-07-19, 10:53 AM
warren1958

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe that it means classic and vintage. The original poster was saying that unassisted bikes will all be considered classic & vintage before long.
Old 08-11-19, 12:56 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
In the Seattle/Puget Sound area, the traffic is so gridlocked that lots of people who aren’t what one would consider cyclists, are using ebikes to commute to work.
Old 08-11-19, 01:20 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Getting (or getting rid of) The Vapors:

One day we will all be Tokyo....
Old 10-21-23, 01:57 PM
LennyAK

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unearned Speed & Experiance

Originally Posted by WhyFi
One of my concerns with regards to this is the unearned speed thing. Not in the sense that they don't deserve to go that fast, but in that it didn't take them time to get that fit to go that fast; that time usually provides some learning experience - a bit a bike handling and common sense/courtesy in the process. I've already seen some ebike buffoonery and I suspect that it'll get worse. But, as noodle soup says, I generally avoid the MUPs .
I Totally Agree With Your Post - I Have Been Riding Motorcycles For More Than 40 Years - And That Experience Helped My Add "Power Assisted Biking" To My Hobbies.
Old 10-21-23, 01:58 PM
LennyAK

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unearned Speed & Experiance

Originally Posted by WhyFi
One of my concerns with regards to this is the unearned speed thing. Not in the sense that they don't deserve to go that fast, but in that it didn't take them time to get that fit to go that fast; that time usually provides some learning experience - a bit a bike handling and common sense/courtesy in the process. I've already seen some ebike buffoonery and I suspect that it'll get worse. But, as noodle soup says, I generally avoid the MUPs .
I Totally Agree With Your Post - I Have Been Riding Motorcycles For More Than 40 Years - And That Experience Helped My Add "Power Assisted Biking" To My Hobbies.
Old 10-21-23, 07:36 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I was in summit county last weekend. All the mup trails and every off road trail I saw was specifically signed no ebikes. I'm not sure how it would be enforced but they seem to be banned from Dillon to Glenwood.
It would be disastrous if the tourists started to rent bikes and start flying down Baker's Tank. They are bad enough on the Rec Path and up/down Swam Mountain but at least they don't crash on a regular basis.
Old 10-23-23, 04:47 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts

Is a four-year-old thread officially a Zombie?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.