Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I saw a lady on an Eliptigo today. Do you guys dance that?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I saw a lady on an Eliptigo today. Do you guys dance that?

Old 10-03-20, 05:17 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I saw a lady on an Eliptigo today. Do you guys fancy that?

I was at the trail and saw this lady on a really upright bike. I looked into it and it's an Eliptigo she was on. It's like an Elliptical machine, except you're peddling like a bike. Really interesting. I was wondering.. Do you think it's better than a standard bike because you're standing up instead of sitting down? Would that make it better for the core? And is it pretty much the same thing as riding a bike, except that you're upright?

It was really interesting to see her on that thing. It was like a scooter, but with big pedals.
Old 10-03-20, 05:31 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
I think i have seen sometign like this, really big pedals/platforms. i don't think i could "ride" for more than a few miles on it. i could only wonder what it is like climbing on it.
Old 10-03-20, 05:40 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Many months ago while on a ride, I came across a man and woman on some machines that looked like an Elliptigo. The way they were using the things, it seemed like they were doing it for fitness and not for speed or distance.
Old 10-03-20, 05:48 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
There is a club that rides in Central Park dozens of them. It is quite a scene. Generally older folks.
Old 10-03-20, 05:55 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
I call them terminators.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 10-03-20, 05:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
the drag those have, you're not going far in any sort of head winds.
Old 10-03-20, 06:10 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by Troul
the drag those have, you're not going far in any sort of head winds.
They move like snails you wonder how they even stay up, and they must weigh a ton.
Old 10-03-20, 06:11 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I see them from time to time. I’ve also seen one that has a full cross trainer set up, but I can’t remember the name of it. i’m just happy that people are outside getting some exercise
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-03-20, 06:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Just looked them up. Reminded me of the saying.... Too weird to live and too strange to die.

There is something even more strange where there is no chain, just a couple of boards to stand on and an upright handlebar. The person rocks from side to side to make it move. Prolly a good core and leg workout but not meant for distance or hill climbing.

Old 10-03-20, 07:02 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I see them from time to time. I’ve also seen one that has a full cross trainer set up, but I can’t remember the name of it. i’m just happy that people are outside getting some exercise
Seniors especially.
Old 10-03-20, 07:45 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Looks like it might be fun just to tool around the neighborhood when I don't feel like "dressing up" beyond a helmet. It'd probably draw some friendly attention. But I don't think I'd do anything more challenging that the few blocks to the corner store and back. And yes, Mulberry, I'm a senior. One who has a well developed sense of fun that's stayed with me to this very day.
Old 10-03-20, 07:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I think a kid in my hometown pioneered that 40 years ago when he rode his bike around town without a seat on it.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-03-20, 07:51 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
would require a richard simmons kit in order to use such "equipment"
Old 10-03-20, 08:33 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
I have never heard of an Eliptigo. Any pictures ?
Old 10-03-20, 08:48 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I used to see a lot of these around near Santa Monica beach about 10 years ago (maybe more). I hardly ever see them anymore, although I did see one person riding one earlier this year. That suggests to me that it was just a fad. If they were really great, you'd still a lot of them around.
Old 10-03-20, 08:52 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
If only there were some way to search the interwebs.

https://www.elliptigo.com/
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 10-03-20, 08:59 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
If only there were some way to search the interwebs.

Thanks ! I guess I could have done a Google search
Likes For frogman:
Old 10-03-20, 09:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I remembered, the one that works the arms is called a Street Strider.

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-03-20, 09:13 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
I was at the trail and saw this lady on a really upright bike. I looked into it and it's an Eliptigo she was on. It's like an Elliptical machine, except you're peddling like a bike. Really interesting. I was wondering.. Do you think it's better than a standard bike because you're standing up instead of sitting down? Would that make it better for the core? And is it pretty much the same thing as riding a bike, except that you're upright?

It was really interesting to see her on that thing. It was like a scooter, but with big pedals.
Pales in comparison to the Treadmill Bike.
Old 10-03-20, 09:29 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman

You could have done that for yourself. Oh, I think they also have a FB page, too.

I've test-ridden Elliptigos, both the long-stride and short-stride models. Surprisingly easy to ride, surprisingly smooth and stable for something on 20" wheels. The long-stride models are noisy and wear out track rollers in a hurry (I've read). Short-stride is quiet and doesn't need as much maintenance.

Build quality is very impressive.

The experience is quite different because of the gearing; your cadence is much lower.

Long-stride Elliptigos are regularly ridden in serious endurance races like P-B-P, but I don't know how. Aside from the aerodynamics, these machines are far less efficient than DF bikes or recumbents.

They're also selling a lot of SUBs--Stand-Up-Bikes. I just have to laugh at that. For a lot less money you could get an ordinary DF bike, remove the seat and post, put on a set of big platform pedals, and have the same thing.

@Darth Lefty may have seen one of these:

https://www.streetstrider.com/

I have one myself, and it's so much fun you can hardly stand it. Much more fun than the Elliptigo. If you get in a big empty parking lot (plenty of those lately) you can get this side-to-side motion going; they call it 'carving'. Puts a big silly grin on your face and you don't want to quit. Even better than that, though, I find that at the proper cadence and load, my breathing falls into sync with my arm and leg motions, and I get into a sort of flow state that I've never experienced with any other form of exercise. It's a freaking rush. I guess it must be like 'runner's high', though I used to run and never did experience that. Remarkable feeling, and I can reliably get it in seconds, but it requires having a good range of gears. I bought the 3-speed and only rarely and fleetingly achieved this, then I converted it to an 8-speed and can have it all the time.

Trouble is, I get doing this and completely exhaust myself in no time, but I think that's the point. And, it's no speed demon; doing rides in a park, I've noticed I can't reliably keep up with joggers, but that's my poor engine, too.

BIG advantage of the Elliptigos over the Street-Striders is the footplates. The ones on the SS have no raised edges on much of them and my feet tend to shift off to the sides, which is something I plan to do something about.
Old 10-03-20, 09:32 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I’ve been pondering this, wondering if there was a reasonably straightforward way to modify one of my bikes so that it could still be ridden somewhat normally while seated but also be workable for extended pedaling while standing.

At this point I’ve parked that experiment and with keep things as they are. The bike with the taller frame which is more adapted to higher bars and more standing is currently a single speed and I just don’t want to change that.

So, I can just pick a hilly route if I want to do a whole lot of standing. 😊

With the higher bars, I can also interrupt long periods of riding in the saddle with periods of standing and pedaling up to speed and then coasting, just for a bit of variety of motion. High swept back bars work well for this because I can stand straight up when I coast, which is also a lot of fun.

At a minimum, bigger gears would be needed to keep reasonable resistance on flat terrain. If I try to ride standing on level terrain, the SS gearing of 71 gear inches is simply way too low and I quickly reach a cadence that is fine for seated riding but uncomfortable while standing. Also, if I stand up on regular pedals for long enough my feet will get tired. Thirdly, I’d probably need shorter cranks to reduce knee strain.

There are stand up bikes that use circular pedaling but typically cut the crank length to about 150mm for a total range or step of about 300mm or 12”. That helps reduce stress on the knees.

There are also stand up bikes with elliptical (ElliptiGO for example) and teardrop (Cyclete) motions. There is also at least one that tries to incorporate the arm motions of an elliptical trainer but I suspect would be a very cumbersome machine on my trail rides.

It is an interesting type of machine and might give a really useful variation of weight bearing exercise in cycling form, so it’s something I’m going to keep looking into.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-03-20 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 09:44 PM
Batstar

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
When I read the OP's reference to the Elliptigo the first thought that came to mind was Tony Little in that National Car commercial.

Old 10-03-20, 10:00 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I saw a few people do the Marin Century 100k ride on Eliptigos. They seem ok, if a bit slow.

The trikes that are really annoying are the ones that have to be rocked back and forth to move. They cannot move in a straight line so it is very difficult to pass.
Likes For jsdavis:
Old 10-03-20, 10:42 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Wanna see some, head down to the San Diego area-- Elliptigo is located in Solana Beach. Any year me and the wife have done Bike the Coast, there's always a bunch of people on those things doing the shorter routes.

They're obviously not about going fast, but honestly probably 75% of the bikes out there today aren't purely about speed. Kid's bikes and all the hybrids make up about half of all bikes sold, as from the look of the trails lately, the rest are electric.

At least those Elliptigo people are working for it.
Old 10-03-20, 10:43 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
snip

The trikes that are really annoying are the ones that have to be rocked back and forth to move. They cannot move in a straight line so it is very difficult to pass.
Not true with the StreetStrider; you can carry a straight line perfectly well on it. I think you mean those things with roller-skate wheels, though. Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/AODI-Wheeled-...YYMHR32PWMN971

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.