Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Used Norco Bigfoot for $600?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 01-30-22, 12:38 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts

I'm trying to decide if it's worth looking at a used Norco Bigfoot listed at $600. One of the pictures of the bike show a shopping cart in the background. I'm a little concerned it might not be ligit. I'm also not sure if the price is reasonable. I have a plus bike with 3" tires. I don't really need a fat bike, but sort of want one for riding on the beach.

Here's the ad:
https://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik/d/albany-norco-bigfoot/7438944301.html
Old 01-30-22, 01:30 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
I'm trying to decide if it's worth looking at a used Norco Bigfoot listed at $600. One of the pictures of the bike show a shopping cart in the background. I'm a little concerned it might not be ligit. I'm also not sure if the price is reasonable. I have a plus bike with 3" tires. I don't really need a fat bike, but sort of want one for riding on the beach.

Here's the ad:
https://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik...438944301.html
Looks totally suspicious when a Craigslist seller doesn't give a detailed description of what they're selling. Having said that, I'd do a due diligence internet search to see of someone reported a similar bike stolen, and if that comes up clean, then I'd start a dialog with the seller and see how is feels.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-30-22, 11:33 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Originally Posted by tyrion
Looks totally suspicious when a Craigslist seller doesn't give a detailed description of what they're selling. Having said that, I'd do a due diligence internet search to see of someone reported a similar bike stolen, and if that comes up clean, then I'd start a dialog with the seller and see how is feels.
Thanks. I went ahead and emailed the poster requesting more information about the bike and haven't got a reply.

I also ran the serial # provided in the ad through the bike registry and got an interesting result:

2022 Norco Bikes 1714G

• Serial: A9NCX7I046
  • Manufacturer: Norco Bikes
  • Name: Big Foot
  • Model: 1714G
  • Year: 2022
  • Primary colors: Black and Green
  • Frame size: XL
  • Frame Material: Carbon or composite
The bike in the picture doesn't match any 2022 color schemes I found online and doesn't appear to be carbon fiber. Furthermore I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a carbon framed Bigfoot. I'd assume whoever registered that serial # put it bogus information? It's got fishy all over it. I didn't mess with calling the provided # to the ad and am not sure it'd be something I'd want to risk.

edit: i think I figured out it's a 2017 Norco BigFoot 6.3 which msrp'd for $914 when new. The $600 price seems reasonable, but the ad say hydraulic disks when the 2017 was spec'd with mechanical disk brakes.

Last edited by mtnbud; 01-31-22 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-31-22, 09:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
harmless to call & set up a meet for a test ride. meet at a police station, but call the police station to see if that's OK with them
Old 01-31-22, 10:35 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I bought a very similar Norco Bigfoot last summer. Same colour scheme. It is a 2017 model.

The one drawback of that bike is that it has 190mm QR rear wheel, which I think was a very short-lived standard and replacement hubs are not common. I think there is a way to adapt a TA wheel to fit (different end caps?) but I have not had to go that route yet. Front wheel is also a QR but front hubs are less likely to need replacement IME.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-31-22, 10:55 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Stolen bike.
Old 01-31-22, 10:58 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I bought a very similar Norco Bigfoot last summer. Same colour scheme. It is a 2017 model.

The one drawback of that bike is that it has 190mm QR rear wheel, which I think was a very short-lived standard and replacement hubs are not common. I think there is a way to adapt a TA wheel to fit (different end caps?) but I have not had to go that route yet. Front wheel is also a QR but front hubs are less likely to need replacement IME.
depending on hub you can maybe get the endcaps. You can get 190mm thru axle hubs and use a QR adapter. Its not totally impossible to find 190QR hub if needed the only issue is they are either low end ( but not cheap) or high end(and pretty expensive). there is just no in between and used is not as easy to come by.

Price wise that seems about right for the market around here. Maybe a little high.
Old 01-31-22, 05:50 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
edit: i think I figured out it's a 2017 Norco BigFoot 6.3 which msrp'd for $914 when new. The $600 price seems reasonable, but the ad say hydraulic disks when the 2017 was spec'd with mechanical disk brakes.
It's about a 5min upgrade to swap the mechanical calipers and levers for hydraulic ones. I'm sure many 5yo fatbikes that came with mechanical discs now have hydraulic.
Old 01-31-22, 06:13 PM
mtnbud

Originally Posted by Viich
It's about a 5min upgrade to swap the mechanical calipers and levers for hydraulic ones. I'm sure many 5yo fatbikes that came with mechanical discs now have hydraulic.
That'd be great...
Old 02-01-22, 05:46 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

That'd be great...
???? The add you posted has pictures of hydraulic brakes on the bike......
Old 02-01-22, 08:17 PM
mtnbud

???? The add you posted has pictures of hydraulic brakes on the bike......
​​​​​​Good to know. I don't know how to tell the difference. I do have a bike with hydraulic disk brakes now and I love them. I've never had disk brakes before.

I'm more concerned about the shopping carts in the background of the pictures of the bike. There's at least two shopping carts in the pictures. One plain one and one plastic green one that can be found by careful examination. What does that indicate? I've no clue. Someone has a bunch of shopping carts in their backyard? I'm pretty sure it's illegal to take shopping carts out of the store's parking lot. Were the pictures of the bike were taken in a homeless camp, or is there some other reason for the mysterious location? Even if the bike is being sold by a homeless person, it doesn't necessarily mean he/she didn't come by it legally. Still, the serial number provided is registered, but the description with the registration is not the same as the bike. The serial # is registered to a supposedly 2022 carbon fiber framed Bigfoot. There's no such thing as a CF Bigfoot as far as I know. The picture is of a 2017 bike. I really don't need a fatbike, but It'd be fun to have one. The price seems reasonable - not too high, not too low. The ads still up.

I keep vacillating on driving the 45 minutes to go check it out. My inner voice says don't, but my eyes say go... There's no indication of any 2017 Norco Bigfoots being stolen form the area in the last few years, but maybe the owner didn't bother to report it? I don't want to buy a stolen bike.
Old 02-02-22, 02:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
​​​​​​Good to know. I don't know how to tell the difference. I do have a bike with hydraulic disk brakes now and I love them. I've never had disk brakes before.

I'm more concerned about the shopping carts in the background of the pictures of the bike. There's at least two shopping carts in the pictures. One plain one and one plastic green one that can be found by careful examination. What does that indicate? I've no clue. Someone has a bunch of shopping carts in their backyard? I'm pretty sure it's illegal to take shopping carts out of the store's parking lot. Were the pictures of the bike were taken in a homeless camp, or is there some other reason for the mysterious location? Even if the bike is being sold by a homeless person, it doesn't necessarily mean he/she didn't come by it legally. Still, the serial number provided is registered, but the description with the registration is not the same as the bike. The serial # is registered to a supposedly 2022 carbon fiber framed Bigfoot. There's no such thing as a CF Bigfoot as far as I know. The picture is of a 2017 bike. I really don't need a fatbike, but It'd be fun to have one. The price seems reasonable - not too high, not too low. The ads still up.

I keep vacillating on driving the 45 minutes to go check it out. My inner voice says don't, but my eyes say go... There's no indication of any 2017 Norco Bigfoots being stolen form the area in the last few years, but maybe the owner didn't bother to report it? I don't want to buy a stolen bike.
ask the seller outright about your concerns. maybe there are legit explanations. maybe the ad has errors. if there is no reply the seller might be spooked. have you considered asking the police in the sellers area if a bike that meets that description has been reported stolen?
Old 02-03-22, 09:34 AM
prj71

Looks suspicious to me as if it's been to a chop shop.

The KS LEV dropper post and adjustable stem make it look suspicious. That and the ad says "practically new"

That bike has been beat up a bit.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-03-22, 11:00 AM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by prj71
Looks suspicious to me as if it's been to a chop shop.

The KS LEV dropper post and adjustable stem make it look suspicious. That and the ad says "practically new"

That bike has been beat up a bit.
I don't get your concerns on stem and dropper. It's a bike that's been used significantly - if someone wanted to raise the bar height, adjustable stem is an easy way, and I don't get any bad vibe from a dropper.
Old 02-03-22, 01:26 PM
prj71

It's a bike that's been used significantly
Red Flag #1: The ad describes the bike as "practically new" and the condition as "like new" which clearly isn't the case when looking at the pictures.

if someone wanted to raise the bar height, adjustable stem is an easy way
Red Flag #2: Possible, but doubt it.

and I don't get any bad vibe from a dropper.
Red Flag #3: There is no trigger to operate the dropper. There are only 3 cables coming off that bar. 2 brake cables and one shifter cable.

Red Flag#4: Miscellaneous junk in the background...Shopping cart, bucket, toilet seat, towels or blankets, broken buggy wheel

Chop shop bike. I would avoid it.
Old 02-14-22, 01:23 AM
Benlplant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
We’re you ever able to get in contact?

Thanks. I went ahead and emailed the poster requesting more information about the bike and haven't got a reply.

I also ran the serial # provided in the ad through the bike registry and got an interesting result:

2022 Norco Bikes 1714G

• Serial: A9NCX7I046
  • Manufacturer: Norco Bikes
  • Name: Big Foot
  • Model: 1714G
  • Year: 2022
  • Primary colors: Black and Green
  • Frame size: XL
  • Frame Material: Carbon or composite
The bike in the picture doesn't match any 2022 color schemes I found online and doesn't appear to be carbon fiber. Furthermore I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a carbon framed Bigfoot. I'd assume whoever registered that serial # put it bogus information? It's got fishy all over it. I didn't mess with calling the provided # to the ad and am not sure it'd be something I'd want to risk.

I believe this to be my bike that was stolen a few months back.. Have you been able to get in contact with the seller at all? They have defaced a lot of the bike from what it used to be but there are still a few things I’m able to match up with pictures I have. I know this is but of a long shot but who knows
Old 02-14-22, 10:51 AM
mtnbud

Originally Posted by Benlplant
I believe this to be my bike that was stolen a few months back.. Have you been able to get in contact with the seller at all? They have defaced a lot of the bike from what it used to be but there are still a few things I’m able to match up with pictures I have. I know this is but of a long shot but who knows
Sorry about your bike. I only emailed them once and asked them what components was on it and some other questions. Their one word answer was "deora". I didn't bother calling the phone # as I decided something was fishy with the ad.

The ads still up. Do you know your serial # on your bike? Maybe you could get your serial # from the shop you bought the bike from if you don't have it. Did you upgrade to hydraulic brakes? Did you put an adjustable stem on it? The fact it hasn't been sold yet is a pretty good indication something isn't right...

I wouldn't go there on your own, but if you have enough evidence that it's your bike give the Albany Police Department a call. I hope you get your bike back!
BTW: the price on the ad just dropped to $300.

Last edited by mtnbud; 02-14-22 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-14-22, 11:44 AM
Benlplant

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Sorry about your bike. I only emailed them once and asked them what components was on it and some other questions. Their one word answer was "deora". I didn't bother calling the phone # as I decided something was fishy with the ad.

The ads still up. Do you know your serial # on your bike? Maybe you could get your serial # from the shop you bought the bike from if you don't have it. Did you upgrade to hydraulic brakes? Did you put an adjustable stem on it? The fact it hasn't been sold yet is a pretty good indication something isn't right...

I wouldn't go there on your own, but if you have enough evidence that it's your bike give the Albany Police Department a call. I hope you get your bike back!
BTW: the price on the ad just dropped to $300.
I bought it from a guy third party and totally spaced writing down the serial number when I got it.. He is the one that installed the hydraulic disc brakes. I had the bike seat off of the bike when it was stolen so the “dropper” seat post is a new addition.
I made a police report when it was originally stolen in Corvallis. If I’m able to get any sort of conformation for a meet up I’m for sure getting the police involved.
Old 02-14-22, 12:01 PM
mtnbud

I bought it from a guy third party and totally spaced writing down the serial number when I got it.. He is the one that installed the hydraulic disc brakes. I had the bike seat off of the bike when it was stolen so the “dropper” seat post is a new addition.
I made a police report when it was originally stolen in Corvallis. If I’m able to get any sort of conformation for a meet up I’m for sure getting the police involved.
Be safe! I sure hope you're able to get your bike back!
Old 02-14-22, 12:12 PM
Benlplant

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thank you!
Old 02-18-22, 12:49 AM
Benlplant

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Win for the good guys

Thought I would end this forum on a good note. With the help of local police and a lot of things going the right way, I was able to get my bike back relatively easily!
Old 02-18-22, 08:33 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by prj71
Stolen bike.
Called it.

Glad to hear you got your bike back. I've been in your shoes. I know the feeling.
Old 02-21-22, 04:23 PM
mtnbud

Thought I would end this forum on a good note. With the help of local police and a lot of things going the right way, I was able to get my bike back relatively easily!
Awesome! I'm glad you got your bike back!
Old 02-22-22, 09:32 PM
Viich
Hack

Awesome! Glad to hear.