Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Salsa Down Under rack with Ortlieb panniers?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 07:25 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

I have a set of Ortlieb sport roller classic panniers and need to mount them on a Salsa Vaya.
The Salsa Down Under rack looks like a reasonable choice BUT I've seen online comments that those two products don't connect well; that the Down Under just doesn't have the bars in the right place for the Ortlieb Sport Roller Classic

Fact or fiction? Advice?
Old 03-28-22, 01:05 PM
MixedRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Wife has them on her Salsa Vaya and I have them on my Gunnar. Connect fine with Ortlieb front rollers.
Old 03-28-22, 04:16 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
You do understand the Ortlieb hooks can be repositioned as necessary along the top, right?
Old 03-29-22, 06:01 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Originally Posted by pdlamb
You do understand the Ortlieb hooks can be repositioned as necessary along the top, right?
Yes. I get that. But I haven't seen the rack in person. And I understood the problem is with the bottom hook/catch.
Old 03-29-22, 06:36 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Yes. I get that. But I haven't seen the rack in person. And I understood the problem is with the bottom hook/catch.
The lower tabs of Ortliebs can be moved around quite a fair bit, and some Ortliebs have two rails that the tab can be mounted on, increasing possibilities of where tab is positioned.

Show a photo of this area of your panniers. Some older models have only one rail for the mounting tab, and the older ones even had a straight rail, which can be more limiting to proper tab positioning.
The curved "smiley face" rails give more options.

Be aware that you can also face the tab towards the back of the bike if this works better with a given rack support.
One of my bikes is set up this way.

I would add that often people don't get how to set up the Ortlieb mounting system correctly, but in their defense Ortlieb doesn't provide the best info out there--BUT I partially understand this because rear racks have such a wide range of shapes and position of this and that.

**Most important aspect is to eliminate fore and aft movement of upper parts on the racks horizontal tubes, and to position tab in right place to make this happen.

Last edited by djb; 03-29-22 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-29-22, 07:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
At least on all my Ortliebs (3 pairs), the bottom tab can be moved in an arc about 6" long, and the tab can be rotated 360 degrees. I'm not saying it's impossible that it won't fit some rack, but I have never seen a rack on which that tab can't be arranged to fit.
Old 03-31-22, 09:18 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Thanks for the details. I ordered the Down Under and the sport rollers came yesterday. I'm feeling more confident now that I'll be able to make it all work.

Originally Posted by djb
The lower tabs of Ortliebs can be moved around quite a fair bit, and some Ortliebs have two rails that the tab can be mounted on, increasing possibilities of where tab is positioned.

Show a photo of this area of your panniers. Some older models have only one rail for the mounting tab, and the older ones even had a straight rail, which can be more limiting to proper tab positioning.
The curved "smiley face" rails give more options.

Be aware that you can also face the tab towards the back of the bike if this works better with a given rack support.
One of my bikes is set up this way.

I would add that often people don't get how to set up the Ortlieb mounting system correctly, but in their defense Ortlieb doesn't provide the best info out there--BUT I partially understand this because rear racks have such a wide range of shapes and position of this and that.

**Most important aspect is to eliminate fore and aft movement of upper parts on the racks horizontal tubes, and to position tab in right place to make this happen.
Old 03-31-22, 12:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Thanks for the details. I ordered the Down Under and the sport rollers came yesterday. I'm feeling more confident now that I'll be able to make it all work.
If it does not fit, post photos. And, if it does work, post an update photo.
Old 03-31-22, 12:30 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
hope it works out, but as said, post photos and perhaps we can give tips or whatever
Old 04-02-22, 05:05 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

The rack arrived, but I will likely get on a plane before I get a chance to mount them. I will report back after June 1. Thanks again for the help.