Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Tired of breaking spokes

Old 04-20-22, 03:21 PM
DeadSlow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 53 Posts
No broken spokes in 54km I'm not counting any chickens yet (because I only have cows), but I am hopeful.
Likes For DeadSlow:
Old 04-23-22, 05:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by bajaking
I forgot to mention the guy thought clydesdale was a brand when I asked him if he could build clydesdale wheels. I figured even a never-been-over-8%-bodyfat shop guy would have spent enough time with internet bike lingo and forums to at least come across the term.
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Little late to respond to this, but after 15 years in a shop, the whole time of which I qualified for the term, if someone had used it I'd have had no clue what they were saying. Personally I think its a 5h1t term which is why I avoid this forum.
Not to go OT too much here, but it’s worth pointing out that “clydesdale” is not internet forum lingo, and in fact, if the term doesn’t predate the creation of the message board/chat room/forum, it certainly predates their general popularity.

I remember Clydesdale was a common category in MTB racing in the early ‘90s, but I know there are threads here about the genesis of the term if anyone is interested in that kind of history.
Old 04-23-22, 03:02 PM
DeadSlow

I presume Clydesdale is a reference to the big horses. If so I have no problem being called one of those, they are huge, strong, get the job done horses. You don't call a pony in to do a job that needs strength. A mate of mine breeds clydes for show, but mostly for the love of the big horses.

Another 30ks yesterday and still no broken spoke, this is good news
Likes For DeadSlow:
Old 04-24-22, 09:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadSlow
I presume Clydesdale is a reference to the big horses. If so I have no problem being called one of those, they are huge, strong, get the job done horses. You don't call a pony in to do a job that needs strength. A mate of mine breeds clydes for show, but mostly for the love of the big horses.

Another 30ks yesterday and still no broken spoke, this is good news
Being called a Clydesdale is far better than other words that are often used to describe larger people. While Clydes are used as draft horses now, they have their roots in medieval battle horses as do all draft horses. Knights in 80lb of steel with more steel used to protect the horse weren’t carried into battle on the backs of ponies.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-24-22, 02:45 PM
DeadSlow

I still can't take that as an insult
Old 04-29-22, 12:17 AM
bajaking

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
More minor updates: the better LBS supplied a prebuilt WB Zac19 36h wheel and new rotor from JBL. I assembled it all myself and still have some minor adjusting to do before riding; the disc brake is now rubbing a little and shifting is off just a scooch, so I think there's some fractional difference in the hub/QR/wheel setup compared to the prior wheel.
Anyway, I'm glad I took this group's advice and made the first step into a truing stand and tension gauge. Not only did I do another 15mi or so on urban streets without issue on my repaired "bad" wheel, but I found two of the spokes on the new wheel were quite out of tension. Cassette side spokes were nearly all at 25 +/- 1 deflection, but the rotor side had a couple at 8-10, a couple at <15, and the rest at 15-20. I'm hoping I averted future frustration by bringing them all up to tension.

Frankly, I'm tempted to put my "bad" wheel back on to see how long my first real truing attempt lasts.

Hopefully my broken spoke days are behind me and I can focus on riding. Now, back to daydreaming about bike touring and obsessing over bike packing setups...
Old 06-09-22, 12:45 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi all, 46yo, 280lb at 6' but not super-hideously unfit, just mostly. Was a regular weekend warrior MTB rider at 230-ish lbs throughout my 30s. These days, trying to get a few 60-90 minute rides per week on a Cannondale Quick-Disk 5 "fitness" bike in the endless quest to lose the 70+ lbs my doc and I want to see gone.

Problem is, I keep breaking spokes on the rear wheel. Just had a shop custom build me a rear wheel, and after maybe 50 miles it's already shot. Everything else about the bike seems to have no problem with my fatness and I quite enjoy the bike's fit and feel. Zero spokes ever broken on the front wheel.

I'm tired of it. Certainly there are more robust wheel options, aren't there? Double wall, titanium spokes...the shops have recommended these incremental changes and we've tried some, but it hasn't worked. I think the shop mechanics have a hard time thinking outside the box of a 140lb road rider obsessed with ounces and riding on smooth roads. I'm just a fatso trying to run errands and climb a few hills on imperfect urban asphalt. I don't care if I'm riding a mullet or the wheel adds a couple pounds or looks funny. I just want a reliable ride.
The bike currently has 32h wheels. I've read that 36 or 40h wheels are of course stronger, but is it genuinely significant enough to make a difference? I'd hate to go to 36 and find I'm only getting a little more time between failures.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should give up on the stock "fitness" style bikes and get a 29" hardtail MTB, lock the fork, and put on slicks? Or invest in something like a Surly Long Haul Trucker? Or?
I also can't help but think bigger tires will reduce road impacts (WTB 700x32cm are on it now) but a couple mechanics have dismissed that idea as making a real difference.
The lht or disc trucker are great bikes!

Im running 48s chuckers on phil wood tandem disc hubs.

As i got sick of breaking spokes amd walking...

Held for ~10 years...
Old 06-09-22, 01:13 PM
bajaking

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Null66
The lht or disc trucker are great bikes!

Im running 48s chuckers on phil wood tandem disc hubs.

As i got sick of breaking spokes amd walking...

Held for ~10 years...
Yup, I'm still lusting after those Surlys; someday, when I live in an area where theft risk isn't as crazy high as where I live now.
My "new" 36 spoke wheel is still good after a few weeks of daily urban (bad pavement) rides, so I think it really came down to tensioning and truing somewhat properly (i.e. myself!) and fatter tires.
During my spoke frustrations I overhauled a craigslist 90's Trek MTB that has what must be original wheels and spokes, and I put fat slicks on it and brought all the spokes into tension (very carefully!). That carried my fat ass just fine for a few brief rides. So at least now I have a plan B if the new wheel on the Cannondale fails.
For my personal situation and usage, a folding bike is the dream, but I'll save that for a "clydesdale folders" thread...
Old 07-05-22, 09:55 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Hi all, 46yo, 280lb at 6' ..

Problem is, I keep breaking spokes on the rear wheel. Just had a shop custom build me a rear wheel, and after maybe 50 miles it's already shot. Everything else about the bike seems to have no problem with my fatness and I quite enjoy the bike's fit and feel. Zero spokes ever broken on the front wheel.
7 years ago I built up my most recent ride, a steel framed Trek from the 80s. I bought the wheelset pre-built from Velomine. It has Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke 700C rims with DT Swiss spokes and Shimano 105 (5800) hubs. For a few years i was running Panaracer Pasela 28mm tires but have since switched the rear to a Donnelly 28mm.

Since putting the bike together, I've weighed between 240 and 280. Been at 250 for the past few years. I've ridden time trials on this bike, taken it on gravel roads, and ridden it several thousand miles. I haven't had a single spoke break.

I did end up using cloth rim strip tape instead of hard plastic strips, after 3 consecutive flats on my first two longer rides.
Old 07-06-22, 08:21 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
My "new" 36 spoke wheel is still good after a few weeks of daily urban (bad pavement) rides, so I think it really came down to tensioning and truing somewhat properly (i.e. myself!) and fatter tires.
I think that's what most people find: well-built matters most, so long as it's with reasonable-quality components.

Have had one wheelset professionally built, by R&E Cycles (Rodriguez, in Seattle WA). Exceptionally strong, silent. I fully expect them to last the life of the bike, so long as I do my part. Velocity CliffHanger rims, White Industries MI5 hubs, DT Swiss Champion 14g spokes, DT Swiss brass nipples, riding on ReneHerse Rat Trap Pass 26x2.3" tires.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 07-06-22 at 08:30 AM. Reason: links
Old 07-24-22, 08:23 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
bajaking , are the new wheels still working out well?

BTW, what rims, spokes, nipples and tires are you running on those new wheels?