Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do people say what they do?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do people say what they do?

Old 10-05-22, 07:03 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Ultimately, whining about something you should have known after 51 years is ridiculous, (unfortunately there's no agreed upon name for a male-Karen), and "the head Karen", doing what was absolutely proper, might have saved YOU from an accident.
The audacity of calling someone a Karen for using proper cycling etiquette...
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-05-22, 07:06 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
"good day for it!" that one kills me.
Old 10-05-22, 07:48 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I was riding on a MUP with signs every few miles asking you to give a vocal or bell warning when passing. I rang my bell as I passed someone, startled her, and she started cussing me out for ringing a bell. I assumed she was new and shrugged it off.

I appreciate the "bike up" warning from a group leader and wish I heard it more often. Once last year I was run off a MUP by a clueless follower riding abreast in the oncoming lane.

At least weekly someone tells me they don't understand why I take such a risk riding a bike. Yet many of them drive a freeway almost every day. That scares the hell out of me. (And so many of them are slugs that can barely walk any more. I see that and I don't want to risk not riding a bike.)
Old 10-05-22, 08:00 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
You've been riding for 51 years and never heard of this??? Have you never ridden in a group that understands safety and proper bike etiquette???

Proper safety protocol when riding in a group is to warn about hazards and also to warn fellow riders in the group to be aware of their surroundings. Yelling bike up, as some have already pointed out, is to let fellow riders to either not swerve into your path or to let other riders to behind the leader to single up should they be doubled or tripled. This is no different than yelling car up or car back when group riding. Yelling bike up wasn't directed at you just as yelling and pointing to warn about a branch or other debris isn't yelling at the hazard, it's a warning to fellow cyclists. As for the line in the middle, often on bike paths cyclists may ride near the line and even cross it if it's not too crowded.

Ultimately, whining about something you should have known after 51 years is ridiculous, (unfortunately there's no agreed upon name for a male-Karen), and "the head Karen", doing what was absolutely proper, might have saved YOU from an accident.
"Tree down up!" is perhaps my favorite road warning yell. Of course everyone behind knew exactly what I meant.

Perhaps the best way to understand why people say what they say is to pause after saying something and ask yourself, "why did i say that?" If the answer is that you are always logical and reasonable, have no cognitive biases, and empathize with everyone, then you are very unusual or more likely incorrect.
Old 10-05-22, 08:03 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Out in the sticks where I used to live, a female told a homeowner, a friend of mine, to get the gravel off the country road in front of his house because there was going to be a bicycle race the next day. He told her she could use his shovel.
Old 10-05-22, 08:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,271 Times in 7,224 Posts
Shortly before my unsupported X-country+ trip my mom said to me: "I don't know why you want to torture yourself like that."
Old 10-05-22, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,271 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
"good day for it!" that one kills me.
I got a few "Great day for a ride!" comments during last month's tour. I don't really mind them. I try to always be nice to locals in the communities I travel through. Even when I am tired and/or hungry I politely respond to questions about my trip, even if for seemingly the 100th time.

The man in this photo asked me about my trip and me slowly moseyed on by in Wise River, MT. I gave him the executive summary. He doffed his hat and responded, "Sounds like a plan!"

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-05-22, 08:27 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I was riding on a MUP with signs every few miles asking you to give a vocal or bell warning when passing. I rang my bell as I passed someone, startled her, and she started cussing me out for ringing a bell. I assumed she was new and shrugged it off.
I find that things work best if I ring the bell several times from a distance as I approach. This gives the pedestrian more time to react and the sound isn’t so loud and surprising.

On our trails I’m afraid most cyclists don’t follow the rules and give a signal, and it’s quite common for pedestrians to voice their thanks when I do give them notice from a distance and a vocal warning as I’m about to pass.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-05-22, 08:35 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
You've been riding for 51 years and never heard of this???
No.

Have you never ridden in a group that understands safety and proper bike etiquette???
​​​​​​​

I don't normally participate in organized rides.

Also, your question mark key appears to require some maintenance.

​​​​​​​Proper safety protocol blah blah blah.... might have saved YOU from an accident.
If the scenario in reality had played out in a way even remotely similar to what you concoct in your imagination, then possibly.

The irrelevant reality was far different, and far less dramatic (slow riders going single file, I was going slowy, no one was even remotely in danger).

**********???

​​​​​​​
Old 10-05-22, 08:57 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
You all need to chill out with this brutish "bike up" nonsense.

In my group rides we politely say to each other in dulcet tones "say chap, it looks like there's another cyclist on the trail coming towards us so please be kind and be sure to stay well to the right so as to not disturb them nor cause a potential conflict amongst fellow riders".
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-05-22, 09:02 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
unfortunately there's no agreed upon name for a male-Karen.
How about Ma-K???
Old 10-05-22, 09:16 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
No.

If the scenario in reality had played out in a way even remotely similar to what you concoct in your imagination, then possibly.

The irrelevant reality was far different, and far less dramatic (slow riders going single file, I was going slowy, no one was even remotely in danger).

**********???

​​​​​​​
The lead riders don't always have the benefit of seeing what's going on behind them. It's a safer bet to just call out, without worrying about offending someone that doesn't know wtf is going on, than to unnecessarily risk the safety of their riding companions.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-05-22, 09:18 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
True story: A couple of years ago I decided, what the heck I'll ride a recumbent today. Well into my ride, a motorist who had disembarked from the Cape May/Lewes Ferry yelled "Get a real bike!" Even though I knew he didn't know that I own and ride several "real bikes" I was deeply hurt.
Old 10-05-22, 09:42 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
True story: A couple of years ago I decided, what the heck I'll ride a recumbent today. Well into my ride, a motorist who had disembarked from the Cape May/Lewes Ferry yelled "Get a real bike!" Even though I knew he didn't know that I own and ride several "real bikes" I was deeply hurt.
don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 10-05-22, 09:49 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
So I was riding a paved mup on an early sunny afternoon. A cyclists approaching from opposite direction with flashing lights yelled out at me, "Lights".

Sounds a lot like some people here on Bike Forums: "Do it like I do, or you're doing it wrong." Just flip 'em off and keep riding.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-05-22, 09:52 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
"Tree down up!" is perhaps my favorite road warning yell. Of course everyone behind knew exactly what I meant.
I have never yelled "Tree down up". When there's a tree down blocking the road/path, I yell "STOP" or "STOPPING".

Perhaps the best way to understand why people say what they say is to pause after saying something and ask yourself, "why did i say that?" If the answer is that you are always logical and reasonable, have no cognitive biases, and empathize with everyone, then you are very unusual or more likely incorrect.
I never claim to be perfect; I just don't think defending someone for doing the proper thing makes me or anyone else, "always logical and reasonable, have(ing) no cognitive biases, and empathiz(ing) with everyone".
Old 10-05-22, 09:59 AM
MAK

How about Ma-K???
Of my God! I'm hurt to my core. NOT!
It's MAK, not Ma-K and I love the three question marks that you insulted my keyboard about.
In reality I'd be honored.
Old 10-05-22, 10:21 AM
MAK

No.
I can understand why.

I'll get a question mark maintenance guy on it right away.

Reality is never irrelevant. Have you never seen a slow rider accident? (I'm pretty sure you'll say no.) Even slow riders can swerve out of line unexpectedly.

Bottom line...There are NO circumstances where safety should be discarded. Calling someone a "Karen" for doing the right thing makes you a "Ma-K" as you so wittingly coined the phrase.

As Mark Twain once said, "Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

I'm sure you'll respond, but I'm done with this thread lest things get nastier and the Mods get upset. You win. You beat me with experience.
Old 10-05-22, 10:42 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
It wasn't at all narrow, and even had a dividing line down the middle. It was most likely directed at me, not the followers.
Calling "bike up", "car up", etc, is pretty common. Warns the bikes behind to not pull out, in case anyone back there is thinking of passing. It was not directed at the oncoming bike.
Old 10-05-22, 10:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
"you ride your bike to work? you're crazy"
Old 10-05-22, 11:19 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
Two days ago several junior high school looking kids were running long distance as I passed them and one of them had the shear unmitigated audacity to yell out, “Nice bike”. I yelled back, “Looking strong” and they returned a thumbs up. (Sorry but had to interject a positive in this thread).

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-05-22, 09:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I was climbing a hill in a small southern Indiana town, when I noticed someone was yelling at me. From a distance, I could see a local hanging his head out the window of his pickup yelling something over and over. I kept cranking, he kept yelling. Eventually, I sorted out what he was saying: "git er done, git er done, get er done!" That's Hoosier for "Allez! Allez!, Allez!" I was super stoked.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-05-22, 11:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
The audacity of calling someone a Karen for using proper cycling etiquette...
You have a problem with that Betty? Or is it Shawna, or Helen or….