Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stop the airport!

Old 11-15-22, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,262 Times in 7,220 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Ok. Imma talk out my A here for a second, so please excuse.

There isn't enough population density or tax base in the area between Vancouver & Olympia to be financially viable with out handouts from King, Snohomish, or Pierce counties feeding the State coffers. The peoples of rural Washington living their way of life on somebody else's money need to be self sufficient & pay for the services they use.

An airport bringing in outside revenue so that the counties can operate with out taxing their local citizens the actual cost of providing services or being a drain on Olympia seems like a great idea.

If moving a bike path is the cost, so be it.

Oh, and for what it's worth: This thread, by definition, should be in P&R
Reminds me of how so many people in Pennsyltucky view the Philadelphia area as a welfare state. I believe it has been demonstrated that the city generates more in revenue for the state coffers than it receives in spending. And its next door neighbor, Montgomery County, where a lot of people who work in the city reside, is the wealthiest county in the state.
Old 11-15-22, 12:35 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Flying squirrels? Sugar gliders?
Could we just leave the sugar gliders out of this? For Pete's sake!
Old 11-15-22, 12:54 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Could we just leave the sugar gliders out of this? For Pete's sake!

Likes For phughes:
Old 11-15-22, 12:57 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I always get annoyed when a NIMBY group like this just simply mis-states the facts. "Thousands of families displaced". Hardly. There are not thousands in the area who could possibly be mis-placed. This kind of mis-information always hurts your cause.

I get that nobody local wants an expanded airport. Problem is you move to an area where an airport exists, well you are going to hear noise and it's not going to get better unless some government official decides the airport isn't needed or useful and decided to close it. Don't see that happening here.

Curious as to why they need to expand ?, are they hoping some major airline (Southwest, Alaska) is going to add the place to a flight schedule ?. More commercial ?, maybe ANG ?.
Wait - are you suggesting that STOPTHEAIRPORT.COM isn't providing accurate and unbiased information that allows people to evaluate the proposal and have an informed opinion about the pros and cons?

Did you try the NO TO A COMMERCIAL AIRPORT IN EAST OLYMPIA group on NextDoor? They've probably got more accurate and unbiased info there.
Old 11-15-22, 01:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Wait - are you suggesting that STOPTHEAIRPORT.COM isn't providing accurate and unbiased information that allows people to evaluate the proposal and have an informed opinion about the pros and cons?

Did you try the NO TO A COMMERCIAL AIRPORT IN EAST OLYMPIA group on NextDoor? They've probably got more accurate and unbiased info there.
No, I stopped caring about this issue.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-15-22, 02:02 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I understand that sugar gliders make convenient patsies, but enough is enough!
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-15-22, 03:55 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
That picture reminds me of the story of the Gimli Glider. Air Canada flight which ran out of fuel because they mixed up imperial/metric units, glided down to land at the unused runway at Gimli to make a landing while a couple of kids were riding their bikes on the runway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

With both of its engines dead, the plane made hardly any noise during its approach. This gave people on the ground no warning of the impromptu landing and little time to flee. As the gliding plane closed in on the decommissioned runway, the pilots noticed two boys were riding bicycles within 1,000 feet (300 m) of the projected point of impact. Captain Pearson later said that the boys were so close that he could see the looks of sheer terror on their faces as they realized that a large aircraft was bearing down on them.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-15-22, 03:59 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
airport would be going in right here>
Old 11-15-22, 04:01 PM
cjenrick

Old 11-15-22, 04:03 PM
cjenrick

Old 11-15-22, 04:12 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I'm sorry to see the airport destroy beautiful countryside, and I feel for your loss of cycling routes. However, unless bureaucratic steps have been omitted or environmental protections disregarded, I doubt you'll be able to do anything about it.
There are currently plans to build a turnpike through the area where I do most of my cycling, between the town where I live and a lake/state park about 15 miles east of town. I think I remember hearing that 700 homes will have to be demolished. A lot of folks are up in arms and paradoxically it's done a lot to unite our politically divided community. There's some chance of stopping the project because the state turnpike authority neglected to do an environmental impact study. That technicality, and not the opposition of thousands of citizens, might put the brakes on the project.

FWIW, the new road would cut a significant amount of time from my commute, but I still hope it doesn't happen. It would just lead to more sprawl and eventually the need for even more roads.
Old 11-15-22, 04:13 PM
cjenrick

Deschuttes River

Old 11-15-22, 04:16 PM
cjenrick

I see this guy everyday,

RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
BTW, I think the solution here is obvious, just put a bike lane on each of the runways.
Now that'd be quite the right hook.

If the runways are perpendicular to the pathway, perhaps the FAA would allow a "Gibraltar solution?" Of course, then you'd get someone trying to set a PR blowing past the stop line, and...
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
That picture reminds me of the story of the Gimli Glider. Air Canada flight which ran out of fuel because they mixed up imperial/metric units, glided down to land at the unused runway at Gimli to make a landing while a couple of kids were riding their bikes on the runway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
I can imagine this scenario: The plane touches down at 200 mph and the pilot sticks his head out the side window to yell "On Your Left!" at the kids on bicycles.
Likes For skidder:
Old 11-15-22, 04:18 PM
cjenrick

Old 11-15-22, 04:26 PM
cjenrick

Log some easy trail mileage by hopping on this family-friendly trail anywhere between Woodard Bay and Vail for a relaxing stroll any time of year.

The Chehalis Western Trail is located in the heart of Washington, near the capital city of Olympia. Once the Weyerhaeuser-owned Chehalis Western Railroad (1926 to mid- 1980s), it transported logged trees from Vail, southeast of Tenino, all the way north to a log dump on Woodard Bay. Today, the corridor exists as a 22-mile multi-use trail, now frequented by walkers and cyclists instead of logging trains.

Bike, stroller and dog friendly, the Chehalis Trail makes an excellent get-out-of-the-house stroll. Not your typical hiking trail, this mostly paved trail winds through diverse ecosystems in both urban and rural parts of Thurston County, providing views of Mount Rainier and access to more than 170 acres of park land, and includes access to the Deschutes River, Puget Sound and Chambers Lake.

And the long span means you can hop on the trail just about anywhere and travel as many miles as you like, with convenient mileage markers every half-mile. The trail also intersects with the 14.5-mile Yelm-Tenino Trail, leaving even more options for add-on mileage. Near this juncture, the trail passes through the Monarch Contemporary Art Center and Sculpture Park.

Each stretch of trail winds through different ecosystems, including wetlands, forests, farmland, rivers, lakes and prairies. Views will vary
Old 11-15-22, 04:41 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike

FWIW, the new road would cut a significant amount of time from my commute, but I still hope it doesn't happen. It would just lead to more sprawl and eventually the need for even more roads.
“If we are not careful, we shall leave our children a legacy of billion dollar roads, leading nowhere except to other congested places like those they left behind.”—General Omar Bradley
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-15-22, 04:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Here in my city we have a very nice and long bike route which passes through Toronto International Airport property. You just need to stay on the trail or else the security will be after you. It's amazing how much nature and wildlife that whole area has. It took few years for it to be approved but I was really happy when it was finally built and completed.
Old 11-15-22, 04:50 PM
cjenrick

not just the cyclists affected...

Old 11-15-22, 04:58 PM
cjenrick

What would be cool is if the land was bought up by a conservatory organization, because although they might stop this for a while, it will probably rears it's ugly head up in the future as the population in the area grows.
This was done along a white water section of the South Fork American River near Sacramento. it takes a lot of money but it can be done.
However, there are about 200,000 people who go down that river every year, way more than the people who use the Chehalis Western.

"Thurston County-owns and operates 22 miles of Chehalis Western Trail in public ownership. The trail is an integral and significant linkage in the planned 48-mile county-managed trail system. It features four trailhead facilities with parking, restrooms, and picnic facilities at the Chambers Lake Boat Launch, Scenic Overlook at Chambers Lake, the Yelm Highway Pedestrian Overpass, a trailhead at 67th Avenue with parking and trail information, and a parking area at Fir Tree Road. The northern section has a trailhead at Woodard Bay with parking and restrooms. With spectacular views, the trail system provides excellent opportunities for users to enjoy a tranquil and refreshing outdoor recreation experience any time of the year."
Old 11-15-22, 06:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
not just the cyclists affected...

Are you saying every location you have posted a pic of would be gone?
Like the entire trail will be removed?
Old 11-15-22, 06:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I can imagine this scenario: The plane touches down at 200 mph and the pilot sticks his head out the side window to yell "On Your Left!" at the kids on bicycles.

The Gimli glider not only avoided hitting the kids on bikes, it also didn't hit the drag racers on the runway. The abandoned runway was being used as a drag strip.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-15-22, 07:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
“If we are not careful, we shall leave our children a legacy of billion dollar roads, leading nowhere except to other congested places like those they left behind.”—General Omar Bradley
Sounds like DFW
Old 11-15-22, 08:23 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by downtube42
Sounds like DFW
Only area of Texas I’ve ever been to. I agree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.