Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-22, 10:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
yikes, I might start popping a baby aspirin before my coldest winter rides from now on
Old 12-07-22, 10:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Let no good thread go unpunished.

Seriously. There's sure a lot of "from my cold dead hands" posts going on here just for posting some reasonable health advice.

Relax everybody. OP is not trying to take away anyone's fat bikes, snow shoes, skis or whatever .
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-07-22, 10:29 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
What would this audience think of A Modest Proposal?
Did I just hear a jet flying overhead?

Old 12-07-22, 11:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
So it's cold out, do you take an outdoor ride or stay indoors?

Well, if you're looking for excuses to stay cozy and warm indoors, cold weather reportedly can:
  • cause heart attacks
  • damage your lungs
This is from an article by Dr. Mirkin, Exercising in Cold Weather:
  • causes your body to produce adrenalin which constricts your arteries and raises your blood pressure
  • thickens your blood and makes it more likely to clot
  • causes the liver to make more fibrinogen that increases clotting
  • raises cholesterol levels
  • may reduce your body temperature, which weakens your heart muscle
  • may induce exercise-induced asthma
Okay, but does it ever get cold enough here in the Bay Area to cause any of that?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-07-22, 11:15 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 212 Posts
Commuting today in -25c.
Old 12-07-22, 11:16 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I knocked off a hilly 80 miles in 90+ degree heat twice this year, and I think my particular lung issues make cold weather cycling a bad idea. I'm betting you don't have the data to back up the first sentence of your post.
Sorry about the lung issues, which I don't have. Well, I used to have exercise induced asthma, but lots of long, hard rides made it go away. I'm a great believer in exercise-based rehab. I've done long hard pass climbs, during either centuries+ or 150 mile rides, some of them in 105° heat. Hydration and occasional rests in the shade made those rides possible. It's not possible (for me anyway) to drink enough to replace lost water during constant hard exercise in extreme heat. I have to stop and drink once in a while, maybe once every 15-50 miles depending. I can tell when I need to stop because my HR just keeps going up.

So the Google does exist. Anyone can look things up quite quickly. The first website which came up for me was:
https://newsroom.heart.org/news/a-wi...snow-shoveling
which contained this excellent link:
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/epub...00000000000749
and this statement (quoting a quote):
"Among the many findings of our research, we saw that the cardiac demands of heavy snow shoveling, including marked increases in the heart rate and systolic blood pressure, could equal and exceed the upper levels achieved during maximal treadmill testing in sedentary men. In one study, we found that after only two minutes of snow shoveling, study participants’ heart rates exceeded the upper limit – 85% of maximal heart rate – commonly prescribed for aerobic exercise testing. The least fit subjects demonstrated the highest heart rates during shoveling.”
This was the 2nd link on my google page:
https://www.heart.org/en/health-topi...scular-disease

My WAG is that more people suffer cardiac stress while snow shoveling because of overheating than by hypothermia. Overheating IME puts more stress on the heart than does being cold, hence I prefer to ride in the cold being just a little chilly. Riding indoors, I use box fans to keep my HR down.

A couple little anecdotes come to mind: Yesterday I was at the gym. Part of that day's workout is doing dumbbell deadlifts, 4 sets of 10, all same weight, 1.5' rests between sets. I was only using 50# dumbbells because I'm avoiding extra heart stress right now. Anyway, I looked at my HR after each set. And after each succeeding set, it was about 10 beats higher. If I were to have kept doing that, my HR would have become quite high. There's also the old story: A second lieutenant is supervising solders digging a trench. After a while, frustrated by their slowness, he jumps in, grabs a shovel, and tosses 3 quick shovel loads. "Do it like that!" he says. Right. Don't shovel snow like that.
Old 12-07-22, 11:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Okay, but does it ever get cold enough here in the Bay Area to cause any of that [cold weather health problems]?
Well, I've seen 32ºF when riding on Calaveras Road. Mt. Hamilton is down into the 30s much of the Winter.

The Mirkin article said people with heart problems should avoid temperatures below 50ºF.

Old 12-07-22, 11:44 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I enjoy riding in the cold, occasionally. I find it quite invigorating. I am talking about down to the high 20's F. Here on Delmarva, it is not that often that the daytime temperature stays below 20. I have lived here for 46 years, I probably have not seen below zero more than a dozen times, with the coldest being -7 F. That extreme usually does not last more than a day or two. When the wind is really blowing, like above 15mph, even in the low 40's, I am likely not going to ride. Much more likely to go for a walk in one of the park/refuges that are near me.
Old 12-07-22, 11:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I enjoy riding in the cold, occasionally. I find it quite invigorating. I am talking about down to the high 20's F. Here on Delmarva, it is not that often that the daytime temperature stays below 20. I have lived here for 46 years, I probably have not seen below zero more than a dozen times, with the coldest being -7 F. That extreme usually does not last more than a day or two. When the wind is really blowing, like above 15mph, even in the low 40's, I am likely not going to ride. Much more likely to go for a walk in one of the park/refuges that are near me.

I used to enjoy winter biking. I still find walking in the cold invigorating, as you so aptly put it,
Old 12-07-22, 12:15 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Doesn't seem like there's any consensus on what "cold" means in this context. It's strange to me, for instance, that someone would stop riding when it's in the 40's Fahrenheit. That's still risk-of-overheating temperature IME. Impactful or unpleasant cold doesn't come into consideration until it's below 20, and the cutoff for riding at all for me is closer to zero (-18c). There is usually a spell of a couple weeks a year when it doesn't get into double digits here in New England.

There's also no standard for what the article considers exercise. Going out for a walk is exercise, after all. Is the article implying people shouldn't walk in the winter? It's possible to ride a bicycle without exerting much more than a walk (if you have access to level terrain).

I dunno. The article just seems like click bait.
Old 12-07-22, 01:10 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Well, I've seen 32ºF when riding on Calaveras Road. Mt. Hamilton is down into the 30s much of the Winter.

The Mirkin article said people with heart problems should avoid temperatures below 50ºF.
Yet, where I live the lowest mortality rates are at 53F. I'm guessing you'd need to start going exponentially lower to start getting meaningful increase in mortality.

However it needs to be kept in mind that the suggestion to limit activity during cold (actual cold, not 50F) only applies to people who have serious coronary conditions (such as congestive heart disease which causes loss of oxygen in the heart muscle) Limiting exercise in individuals with no or only minor conditions is probably going to be counter productive. Being sedentary increases risk of all the mentioned conditions affected by cold.

So no, cold isn't an excuse to stop riding. It is a reason however to potentially modify healthcare regimen and medication to suit the conditions if one is using blood pressure medication for example.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 12-07-22, 01:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts

I'd assume it's a sliding scale, where the worse your heart problems the higher the temp where it become's problematic.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-07-22, 02:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
& then there's shoveling snow & roof raking. we can't always "choose" when we have to do this. I may not ride in 15F degree weather but I might be out there for 3 hours, with the snow storm chores. I believe there are stats for deaths whilst doing so
Old 12-07-22, 03:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Limiting exercise in individuals with no or only minor conditions is probably going to be counter productive. Being sedentary increases risk of all the mentioned conditions affected by cold..
It really doesn't have to be a question of limiting exercise. I just do most of my exercise indoors in the winter.
Old 12-07-22, 08:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Relax everybody. OP is not trying to take away anyone's fat bikes, snow shoes, skis or whatever .
Yes he is, and he is using an article written by a doctor as a scare tactic to discourage people from going outside and being active in the cold.
Old 12-07-22, 10:56 PM
elcruxio

It really doesn't have to be a question of limiting exercise. I just do most of my exercise indoors in the winter.
But it is indeed question of limiting exercise. If you confine yourself indoors during the cold season your daily activity levels are going to plummet. Actual exercise is of course important but having high level of activity outside actual exercise is far more important and cannot be replaced by an elliptical machine. By that I mean walking or cycling to places instead of driving, climbing the stair instead of using the elevator, walking the dog and the dreaded shovelling snow (it's a skill not to over do it). You get the idea.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 12-08-22, 06:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yes he is, and he is using an article written by a doctor as a scare tactic to discourage people from going outside and being active in the cold.

You're either a liar or you have no reading comprehension.
Old 12-08-22, 06:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

But it is indeed question of limiting exercise. If you confine yourself indoors during the cold season your daily activity levels are going to plummet. Actual exercise is of course important but having high level of activity outside actual exercise is far more important and cannot be replaced by an elliptical machine. By that I mean walking or cycling to places instead of driving, climbing the stair instead of using the elevator, walking the dog and the dreaded shovelling snow (it's a skill not to over do it). You get the idea.

That's ridiculous, you're arguing with a straw man. No one is saying that people shouldn't go outside. Literally, the article makes very clear in its conclusion that this is about where people with heart and lung issues should get their "exercise". I do my aerobic exercise on an elliptical machine in the winter and there's a small drop off in the number of hours I put into it as compared to my 8-9 months of riding, but I can definitely say that the elliptical is a very intense workout comparatively by virtue of being a whole body workout. In the meantime, I do as much or more walking in the winter (probably more as I'm more likely to walk a short hop than bike it as I would do if the weather was warm and the street not sloppy). And what the hell is the taking the stairs vs. taking the elevator bit about? Where do you encounter a lot of outdoor stairs and elevators?

Am I supposed to rent a dog? You have no point here whatsoever except to make an obviously false claim about indoor machines.
Old 12-08-22, 06:45 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
You're either a liar or you have no reading comprehension.
I think at this point he's trolling us.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-08-22, 07:00 AM
elcruxio

That's ridiculous, you're arguing with a straw man. No one is saying that people shouldn't go outside. Literally, the article makes very clear in its conclusion that this is about where people with heart and lung issues should get their "exercise". I do my aerobic exercise on an elliptical machine in the winter and there's a small drop off in the number of hours I put into it as compared to my 8-9 months of riding, but I can definitely say that the elliptical is a very intense workout comparatively by virtue of being a whole body workout. In the meantime, I do as much or more walking in the winter (probably more as I'm more likely to walk a short hop than bike it as I would do if the weather was warm and the street not sloppy). And what the hell is the taking the stairs vs. taking the elevator bit about? Where do you encounter a lot of outdoor stairs and elevators?

Am I supposed to rent a dog? You have no point here whatsoever except to make an obviously false claim about indoor machines.
Do you have trouble understanding examples. Or rather do you have trouble understanding the concept of what an example is? Walking the dog, taking the stairs etc. were just that.

Also I though (falsely apparently) that you understood what the whole point of this discussion was. It's not the exercising in the cold that's the supposed issue. It's the cold itself. If you go outside when it's (actually) cold, ie. near or below freezing your systolic blood pressure can spike 20 mm hg just by stepping out the door. If you get cold your blood pressure can further increase and then you can start getting those aforementioned clotting issues. Just by being outside you breathe the cold dry air. There are other effects as well, but those are a bit on the nitpicky side

When properly dressed and exercising outside you'll unlikely to be cold. Probably the opposite in fact. Exercise raises blood pressure for the duration of said exercise but the effect is slightly different as it also trains the vascular system. You'll still be breathing the cold dry air and doing it more frequently. However it takes a lot lower temps than freezing and quite high intensities for long durations to damage the lungs in the cold (it is possible though).

But if you're an old out of shape male and going out doing zone 4 or 5 work (shovelling snow like you have something to prove) you're potentially gonna have a bad time.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 12-08-22, 07:15 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I have my own 2 "excuses" for not riding in cold weather: 1. I used to live in an area which was usually colder, and I'm not as acclimated to cold weather as I used to be and 2. that was 20 years ago, so my 20 year older body seems as if it's less tolerant of cold than it used to be.
I don't know if either is actually true, do know that I'm not a fan of riding in colder weather (45 F, give or take a few) is not too bad-depends on wind and humidity as well). You can call me a "fair weather rider" and I won't be insulted. I do feed a horse and make sure all is OK with him in whatever the weather is, do have the clothes suitable for whatever temp gets down to, just prefer to not bundle up for a bike ride.

Last edited by freeranger; 12-08-22 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-08-22, 08:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Do you have trouble understanding examples. Or rather do you have trouble understanding the concept of what an example is? Walking the dog, taking the stairs etc. were just that.

Also I though (falsely apparently) that you understood what the whole point of this discussion was. It's not the exercising in the cold that's the supposed issue. It's the cold itself. If you go outside when it's (actually) cold, ie. near or below freezing your systolic blood pressure can spike 20 mm hg just by stepping out the door. If you get cold your blood pressure can further increase and then you can start getting those aforementioned clotting issues. Just by being outside you breathe the cold dry air. There are other effects as well, but those are a bit on the nitpicky side

When properly dressed and exercising outside you'll unlikely to be cold. Probably the opposite in fact. Exercise raises blood pressure for the duration of said exercise but the effect is slightly different as it also trains the vascular system. You'll still be breathing the cold dry air and doing it more frequently. However it takes a lot lower temps than freezing and quite high intensities for long durations to damage the lungs in the cold (it is possible though).

But if you're an old out of shape male and going out doing zone 4 or 5 work (shovelling snow like you have something to prove) you're potentially gonna have a bad time.

First of all, your examples sucked because they basically ran counter to the point you were trying to make (I can run up and down the stairs all day if I want exercise), but otherwise, wow, that's some pretty good sophistry you got going on. You are actually telling me that the main concern of an article entitled "Exercising in Cold Weather" is not exercising in cold weather but the effects of cold weather itself!? That's just utter nonsense.. So no, it's not about just going outside, it's about exertion in cold weather which will clearly exacerbate those CV/respiration effects endemic to breathing in cold air, exposure, etc. Absolutely no one has stated that you should not go outside as merely taking a walk or similar exertion is not going to have those add-on effects. As far as hypothermic effects, this is obviously a much bigger concern when one is exerting oneself. News flash, people exerting themselves breathe in more cold air and exhale more of their body heat and moisture than people just walking leisurely and their heart rates and blood pressure are also going to increase more than just the increase in baseline effects of the cold air on non-exerting people.

The recommendation that people with heart and/or lung problems should probably prefer warmer environment exercise does not seem at all controversial . My only point was that you set up a false dichotomy (straw man) where that meant being sedentary vs. exercising outdoors, and now you're going through the mental gymnastics above to try to avoid your obvious logical fallacy. To do that, you've had to completely fabricate an elaborate argument that absolutely no one has made. Please show me where ANYONE has said that these effects are so pronounced that some people shouldn't go outside for any purpose whatsoever other than exercise.

As to my own case, I already have lung damage. I'm not particularly interested in testing the exact boundary where the intense inhalation of cold air causes me discomfort or worse, thank you. I'm perfectly comfortable breathing below freezing air for hours at a walking pace, but I don't enjoy cycling at such a low intensity and I'm able to be much more intense indoors without having to play with these factors.

I really don't think I should have to explain that winter cycling presents particular issues with dressing just warm enough to deal with increased wind chill due to the speed and balancing that against the hazards and discomforts of over-dressing, that seems rather obvious and well besides the point I was making.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-08-22 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-08-22, 08:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Mary Ellen Moffat broke my heart.
Old 12-08-22, 08:45 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
If you have cardiac or respiratory issues and are using internet articles for exercise advice you are receiving inadequate medical care. If your care providers haven't given you an okay to exercise in "cold" weather either you haven't told them you exercise in "cold" weather or you need a new care provider.

For me this is first-hand knowledge - I had a triple bypass over a decade back after an MI on a bike ride. My cardiologist and cardiac therapist have placed few limits on what exercise I can do. Winter weather and sub-freezing temperatures have NEVER been a concern from them. And I know the cardiac therapist is aware of my exercise regime - he follows me on Strava and regularly gives and comments. Lately he is suggesting I break one of the few limits they gave me and start training so I can ski the Birkie with him.

That article is okay for what it is intended for (raising awareness) but no one should be making any exercise changes based on it.
Old 12-08-22, 09:56 AM
elcruxio

First of all, your examples sucked because they basically ran counter to the point you were trying to make (I can run up and down the stairs all day if I want exercise), but otherwise, wow, that's some pretty good sophistry you got going on. You are actually telling me that the main concern of an article entitled "Exercising in Cold Weather" is not exercising in cold weather but the effects of cold weather itself!?
Well, yeah.

I'm assuming you didn't read the article. Or if you did you didn't pay attention. The title and end conclusion aren't actually based on the science the article refers to. The actual studies do not discuss exercise at all. They study the effects of cold weather to mortality and other health indicators and outcomes. The actual conclusions of said studies are that cold weather increases mortality. But no mention of exercise.

​​​​​​​That's just utter nonsense.. So no, it's not about just going outside, it's about exertion in cold weather which will clearly exacerbate those CV/respiration effects endemic to breathing in cold air, exposure, etc. Absolutely no one has stated that you should not go outside as merely taking a walk or similar exertion is not going to have those add-on effects.
The science does. It's all about the cold weather. It's unclear whether exercise has an added effect because the studies referenced in the article do not discuss that. But perhaps you know better as exertion clearly exacerbate or whatever..

​​​​​​​As far as hypothermic effects, this is obviously a much bigger concern when one is exerting oneself. News flash, people exerting themselves breathe in more cold air and exhale more of their body heat and moisture than people just walking leisurely and their heart rates and blood pressure are also going to increase more than just the increase in baseline effects of the cold air on non-exerting people.
Umm... so uuh.. people heat up when they move. The more they move the more they heat up. So if breathing during exercise was actually going to cause hypothermia you'd need to be A) severely under dressed and/or B) it'd needs to be extremely cold out. Like, insanely cold.

I'm getting the feeling you're not well versed with cold weather.

​​​​​​​The recommendation that people with heart and/or lung problems should probably prefer warmer environment exercise does not seem at all controversial . My only point was that you set up a false dichotomy (straw man) where that meant being sedentary vs. exercising outdoors, and now you're going through the mental gymnastics above to try to avoid your obvious logical fallacy. To do that, you've had to completely fabricate an elaborate argument that absolutely no one has made. Please show me where ANYONE has said that these effects are so pronounced that some people shouldn't go outside for any purpose whatsoever other than exercise.
I feel that you wanted believe I wrote something that you could slap away so hard that you didn't actually comprehend what I wrote. But having seen some of your other "discussions" here that wouldn't be the first. Or perhaps you just got triggered by the elliptical. But the fact remains that if you have a serious cardiovascular condition then you should be careful during the cold season. If you don't you should NOT limit your outside activities and daily active lifestyle just because it's cold out. That decrease in daily activity will have a larger negative impact than the cold will. Partly because being active and exercising directly combats against the health risks cold weather increases.

Now if you're a freezy kitten (it's a direct translation of a saying) and don't like the cold, well then you don't. Just don't use "health concerns" as an excuse why you can't go winter cycling or running or whatever. You just don't want to. And that's fine too.

​​​​​​​As to my own case, I already have lung damage. I'm not particularly interested in testing the exact boundary where the intense inhalation of cold air causes me discomfort or worse, thank you. I'm perfectly comfortable breathing below freezing air for hours at a walking pace, but I don't enjoy cycling at such a low intensity and I'm able to be much more intense indoors without having to play with these factors.
Haven't damaged my lungs yet even pushing zone 5 at -40. Can't really avoid the zones 4 or 5 when XC-skiing.

​​​​​​​I really don't think I should have to explain that winter cycling presents particular issues with dressing just warm enough to deal with increased wind chill due to the speed and balancing that against the hazards and discomforts of over-dressing, that seems rather obvious and well besides the point I was making.
Eh. Only if you want to be aerodynamic. I don't so dressing warmly enough but not too warmly isn't at all difficult. Layering and swapping layers helps. I usually sligthly overdress when going out so I'm not at all cold when I start moving and remove a layer after I start feeling just a tiny bit hot. That has worked fine for rides up to six hours.

Back on the topic of the article I did have a good laugh about the mention that up to 50% of top level XC-skiers, hockey players etc. have exercise induced asthma. I mean, of course they do. Salbutamol is a fantastic doping drug so of course you want to use it if you can (XC skiing is just as dirty as cycling). The naivete of that statement in the article was almost endearing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.