Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is a hybrid a hybrid of?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-27-22, 03:07 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts

At their inception they were ostensibly a hybrid of a road and a mountain bike. Given what mountain bikes have become, that doesn't seem to be an apt definition any more. Are they currently hybrids of anything, or did the name just outlive the concept?
Old 11-27-22, 03:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
I think the name sort of outlived the concept to a point.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-27-22, 03:32 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Kinda like asking the owner of most Sport Utility Vehicles or a Cross Over vehicles what's the difference from a true off-road vehicle or station wagon, isn't it? Just raise the body up a few inches, put on some sportier (and bigger) wheels/tires and you're done, maybe throw in an all-wheel-drive system to make yours unique from the neighbor's vehicle (not necessarily a 4WD system).

I always thought they were a cross between a road bike and an urban bike of years-gone-by (Schwinn Collegiate & Suburban models come to mind). You combine the frame and seating style of a road bike with the larger tires and flat handlebars of an urban bike, and there you have it. Maybe throw in some design characteristics of the old rigid MTBs of the past, (as you suggested), and a touring bike for added 'street credibility'
Likes For skidder:
Old 11-27-22, 03:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Just like tire sizing, it's continued use of the term by the masses. So pretty much your last suggestion...
or did the name just outlive the concept
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-27-22, 03:42 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
They've become hybrids of hybrids and other hybrids.

A while ago, some local dude put a Trek Zektor up for sale and called it a hybrid in the add. Even though I wanted the bike and made the highest bid, when I tried to explain to him that this was a flat-bar road bike and not a hybrid, he blocked my ass and canceled my bid!
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 11-27-22, 03:45 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
That's certainly how it seems.
Old 11-27-22, 04:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Modern hybrids are just flat bar gravel bikes.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-27-22, 05:07 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Modern hybrids are just flat bar gravel bikes.
Hybrids lack the tire clearance and gearing for gravel, but nice try at being incendiary, gangsta.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-27-22, 05:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Rolla
Hybrids lack the tire clearance and gearing for gravel, but nice try at being incendiary, gangsta.
There are some higher performance hybrids out there which have 1X drivetrains. carbon forks, hydraulic brakes, braze-ons to mount all manner of accessories and enough frame clearance to run 700 x 40 mm - 50 mm tires. The only difference is the style of handlebars.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-27-22, 06:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I think the name sort of outlived the concept to a point.
In about 1996.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-27-22, 06:48 PM
Rolla

There are some higher performance hybrids out there which have 1X drivetrains. carbon forks, hydraulic brakes, braze-ons to mount all manner of accessories and enough frame clearance to run 700 x 40 mm - 50 mm tires. The only difference is the style of handlebars.
Thanks for clarifying that when you said earlier that "modern hybrids are just flat bar gravel bikes," you really meant that "some higher performance hybrids" are like gravel bikes.

Can you show an example of one of these higher-performance 1X hybrids that has a carbon fork, hydro discs, gear braze-ons, and big tire clearance? I don't think I've encountered one.

Last edited by Rolla; 11-27-22 at 06:53 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-27-22, 06:54 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Lots of hybrids have sufficient tire clearance equal to gravel bikes. Gearing is fungible. It can be changed relatively easily. Some hybrids even have lower gearing than you’ll find on several gravel bikes.

Looking at Trek. The Checkpoint ALR 5, for example, takes up to 45mm tires and has a 46/30, 11-34 drivetrain ( 23 gear inches). The Verve 3 takes the same 45mm tires with a 46/30, 11-36 drive train (22 gear inches). The Dual Sport 4 takes up to a 54mm tire with a 1x 42 tooth crank and 11-50 cassette (23 gear inches). The Verve and the Dual Sport are definitely hybrids.

Even if you compare the Checkpoint to a FX1, the FX doesn’t come out all that badly. Yes, it will only take 38mm tires but the gearing is lower than the Checkpoint by just a squidge (30/34 vs 28/34).
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-27-22, 07:04 PM
cyccommute 

Thanks for clarifying that when you said earlier that "modern hybrids are just flat bar gravel bikes," you really meant that "some higher performance hybrids" are like gravel bikes.

Can you show an example of one of these higher-performance 1X hybrids that has a carbon fork, hydro discs, gear braze-ons, and big tire clearance? I don't think I've encountered one.
The Trek FX Sport 4 is damned close. The Sirrus X 4.0 is closer as it can take at least 42mm wide tires and maybe wider.

Old 11-27-22, 07:19 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
When I've talked about my hybrid bike in the past to someone, they thought I was talking about a motorcycle with an electric motor drive and a gasoline engine to charge the battery.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-27-22, 07:57 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The Trek FX Sport 4 is damned close. The Sirrus X 4.0 is closer as it can take at least 42mm wide tires and maybe wider.
Interesting. They call the FX Sport 4 a "fitness bike for riders who want the speed of a lightweight road bike with the comfort and control of a flat handlebar," so I guess it's a "hybrid" of a fitness bike and a flat-bar road bike.

Neither the Trek nor the Sirrus has tubeless-ready tires or wheels, so maybe that's what distinguishes them from true gravel bikes. I suspect the geometry is different as well, but I haven't bothered to compare.

IMO, all of this just further establishes that "hybrid" is an outdated term for a vague-at-best bike category.

Last edited by Rolla; 11-27-22 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-27-22, 08:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Marin DSX and Marin Muirwoods ??...both of them look like beefed up hybrids. There are few others out there from Trek, Specialized and Devinci which could easily make a good gravel bike.
Old 11-27-22, 08:43 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
A hybrid is a bike that does everything poorly. LOL. So they are sold to beginners that are poor at knowing anything about bikes.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 11-27-22, 08:56 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
A hybrid is a bike that does everything poorly. LOL. So they are sold to beginners that are poor at knowing anything about bikes.
Yes, I’m well aware of what hybrids are and who tends to buy them. The question was whether the term has any meaning anymore.
Old 11-27-22, 09:04 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Are they currently hybrids of anything, or did the name just outlive the concept?
I'm trying to remember the first bikes I recall being called hybrids. I seem to remember them being a mountain bike style frame, and flat bars with tires and drivetrain of a road bike. But I suppose with hybrid implying a combination of two bike types, your thought that the name outlived the concept to be accurate.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-27-22, 09:04 PM
Rolla

Marin DSX and Marin Muirwoods ??...both of them look like beefed up hybrids.
According to Marin, the DSX is a flat bar gravel bike, so yeah, I guess it’s like one.

They call the Muirwoods a “transit / urban” bike, which I guess is the new “commuter.”

Marin’s actual hybrids have little in common with gravel bikes.

Last edited by Rolla; 11-27-22 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-27-22, 09:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
A lot of marketing semantics in the bicycle sales world
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-27-22, 09:36 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
This has marketing potential:
Your hybrid is obsolete, now you need a metahybrid!
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 11-27-22, 09:44 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by dedhed
A lot of marketing semantics in the bicycle sales world
Of course. But “road” and “mountain” and “gravel” and “BMX” at least make sense as categories. A “hybrid” bike doesn’t really reflect what the word means.
Old 11-27-22, 10:04 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 587 Posts

Happy to oblige. My bike: Specialized; carbon frameset; Future Shock; 1x11 drivetrain; hydraulic disc brakes; came stock with 38mm Specialized 'gravel' tires (I switched 'em to 32 Roubaix Pros [personal preference]), but it will take up to 42; can take a rear rack and f/r mudguards if one were so inclined. Etc. Since this pic: Future Shock is now 2.0 (warranty replacement of the original); brakes are flat-mount Shimano XT. Weight at present is just over 19 lbs; plan to get it below that with a crank and wheelset change in due course. I like light-weight bikes.

I use it as a flat-bar road bike; would make a perfectly competent 'gravel' bike with a simple tire change. I find the 32s fine for the surfaces I ride: paved and dirt roads; the occasional hard-packed, non-technical dirt trail.

Oh, and yes: the term 'hybrid' is utterly meaningless in today's bicycle market.

Likes For badger1:
Old 11-27-22, 10:40 PM
cyccommute 

Interesting. They call the FX Sport 4 a "fitness bike for riders who want the speed of a lightweight road bike with the comfort and control of a flat handlebar," so I guess it's a "hybrid" of a fitness bike and a flat-bar road bike.

Neither the Trek nor the Sirrus has tubeless-ready tires or wheels, so maybe that's what distinguishes them from true gravel bikes. I suspect the geometry is different as well, but I haven't bothered to compare.

IMO, all of this just further establishes that "hybrid" is an outdated term for a vague-at-best bike category.
You keep moving the goal posts. Now they have to be tubeless ready. That can be changed if desired. Or you can do tubeless the old school way.

A “gravel bike” is kind of nebulous as well. There’s racing, all road, gravel, bikepacking, etc. It’s just as open a term as “hybrid”. In fact, “hybrid” is probably a better name since gravel bikes are just road bike built to act like a 1990 mountain bike or a 1990 mountain bike modified to act like a road bike.

Likes For cyccommute:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.