Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Buying a modern bike

Old 10-22-21, 09:08 PM
roccitman

Bikes: 1996 Ken Evans with Campy ... something. 1999 Aegis with 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Buying a modern bike

Hey Gang

[Sorry if this has been covered before]

I can't run anymore so want to upgrade my road bike. Would like to buy something from the last 3 years at least but been out of the road bike world so long I don't know what's a decent bike these days. Budget is around 2-3k, would like good components. Grew up riding steel bikes, but been riding a late 90s carbon bike (Aegis) with crappy 105 on it. I live on Kaua'i, the racing we do here is just for bragging rights, but I'd like something light that will last me a few years.

Am I right to assume that pretty much anything in that price range would be a good fit?
Something like this:
2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp Carbon Disc (found it on Ebay)

Product Specialized Roubaix Comp Model Year 2018 Riding Type Road Bike Rider Unisex Size 56cm Wheel Size 700c Frame Specialized FACT 10r carbon, Endurance Geometry, Rider-First Engineered™, 12x142mm thru-axle, Future Shock suspension, 20mm of travel, flat disc mounts

Fork Specialized FACT carbon, 12x100mm thru-axle

Headset Tapered Integrated Handlebar Specialized Comp Hover Bar, 6061 alloy, 70x125mm Stem Specialized, 3D-forged alloy, 4-bolt, 7-degree rise, 100mm

Brakes Shimano Ultegra 8020, hydraulic disc Brake Levers Ultegra Hydraulic Drivetrain 2x11 speed Shifters Shimano Ultegra 8020, hydraulic disc Front Derailleur Shimano Ultegra 8000, braze-on Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra 8000, long cage, 11-speed

Crankset Praxis Zayante, 172.5mm Chainrings 50/34T Pedals N/A Chain KMC X11EL, 11-speed w/ Missing Link™ Cassette Shimano 105, 11-speed, 11-32t Wheelset Roval SLX 24 Disc, sealed cartridge hubs pawl, DT Swiss Competition spokes, 24h
Saddle Phenom FACT carbon 143mm (UPGRADE!) Seatpost S-Works CG-R, FACT carbon fiber, single-bolt, 27.2mm

Thanks for any advice
Old 10-23-21, 09:10 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
If I where to buy a new road bike with that budget I would look at Giant's Defy Advanced 3. This endurance bike appears to provide a fine balance between speed and comfort. I'm sure there are other brands comparable, but IMO Giant bikes are one of the best values in design and build quality. I have one of their lower end bikes and the darn thing is almost perfect. Fit and finish are 2'nd to none.
Old 10-25-21, 12:32 AM
roccitman

Awesome, thanks! Always been a Giant fan too! I will be checking them out.
-rocco
Old 08-22-23, 07:51 PM
roccitman

Old thread but I thought I'd report back. Wife and I bought a tandem. She's a hammer and loves climbing, who'd have thought
Old 03-25-24, 12:12 PM
RobbieK2022

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre RC-Super Record WRL Ridley Noah '07, Grail for the Gravel, Stumpjumper for the big stuff

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reply to the old reply lol... awesome on the tandem and this way you aren't stuck with a bike she may fall out of love riding. That's happened to me at least 3 times but at least you can always put some else on the tandem just in case.