Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

'75 ish Grand Prix - buying for parts

Old 04-05-22, 07:05 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
'75 ish Grand Prix - buying for parts

I'm looking for a cheap-ish English 10 speed to cannibalize for both my RH Lenton Sports and my Dawes Galaxy. There is a Grand Prix of the cottered crank era being offered for $85. It's in good shape but the frame is too big for me. But it would yield wheels (I know they're steel but the rims on the RH Lenton Sports are, so they'd be ok), stem, and 'bars for the Lenton Sports, and DT shifters, and possibly a crankset or inner ring for the Dawes. Looks to have a non-original RD, but it could be an upgrade for something. And it's got a Brooks saddle. If I total what I'd end up paying for the parts, it seems like a good deal. But what's it worth as a whole bike, and what would be a fair offer?
https://providence.craigslist.org/bi...458005491.html
Old 04-05-22, 07:12 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic of the saddle but if it is in decent shape, then $85.00 for the whole shebang is a bargain.
Old 04-05-22, 07:30 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

The saddle on my Dawes is pretty crispy. I grabbed it by the horn to move the bike and it cracked along the perforations at the lower edge. Even if the Grand Prix saddle isn't perfect, as long as it's better than the Dawes it would be worth something. Plus, the rear rack looks useable.

I just noticed the shifters look like Simplex plastique. Uggh! But at least they're DT shifters as opposed to the stem shifters on my Dawes.
Old 04-05-22, 10:03 AM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
The Simplex front derailleur body is cracked.

The saddle, though better than your Dawes, is really worn in.

The SunTour rear derailleur is a nice component.

Perhaps when you go to look at the bicycle and check the wheels, etc. you can point out the defects and negotiate a price reduction?

The frame might fit someone else on the forums if you list it in

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

subforum
Old 04-05-22, 10:17 AM
swampyankee2

The damaged FD is disclosed in the description. The ad does say will entertain reasonable offers. Good suggestion to offer the frame on the sub-forum. I've arranged to see it tomorrow. We shall see...
Old 04-05-22, 11:00 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 256 Posts
Looks more '72-ish to me. The SunTour read derailleur replaced a Simplex. Totally junky front unit, so toss that for something better.
That saddle could be a low-end Brooks, but it looks splayed and could cause major chafing. Nobody would fault you for using a modern one to save your butt.
You may possible recoup most of your cost by selling the frameset. Guys love turning those Raleighs into fixies.
Old 04-05-22, 11:15 AM
swampyankee2

The owner states "mid-70s" and it's been in the family since new. I found the white-black color scheme in the '75 catalog so it was my guess.
Old 04-05-22, 12:10 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Looks more '72-ish to me. The SunTour read derailleur replaced a Simplex. Totally junky front unit, so toss that for something better.
That saddle could be a low-end Brooks, but it looks splayed and could cause major chafing. Nobody would fault you for using a modern one to save your butt.
You may possible recoup most of your cost by selling the frameset. Guys love turning those Raleighs into fixies.
Older Brooks that have not been cared for can often be rejuvenated. Splayed saddles that are otherwise sound can be laced in order to draw the leather back into shape. What I'd look for is extreme cracking and if it doesn't have any of that, it can be made better.
Old 04-05-22, 04:16 PM
swampyankee2

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Older Brooks that have not been cared for can often be rejuvenated. Splayed saddles that are otherwise sound can be laced in order to draw the leather back into shape. What I'd look for is extreme cracking and if it doesn't have any of that, it can be made better.
i was watching videos about restoring old Brooks saddles. All sorts of tricks, some good, some bad. But there seemed to be ways to bring them back. And I agree, cracks are signs that the fibers have dried beyond rejuvenation.
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 04-05-22, 05:17 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by swampyankee2
The owner states "mid-70s" and it's been in the family since new. I found the white-black color scheme in the '75 catalog so it was my guess.
I find information from the owner is often wrong. First, you have memory fade. Actual year has no bearing on value regardless. Its all about condition. Myself, for less than that price I can find something better, but its up to you. RD is a winner, stem is OK, but it looks like someone changed out the quill bolt. Bars from that era are typically very narrow.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-05-22 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-05-22, 05:20 PM
swampyankee2

Originally Posted by wrk101
I find information from the owner is often WRONG. First, you have memory fade. Actual year has no bearing on value regardless. Its all about condition. Myself, for less than that price I can find something better, but its up to you.
Absolutely. If the bike has the parts I want in good condition and for a reasonable price, then score. Otherwise, I have other options.
Old 04-05-22, 05:38 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Personally, the only thing I see of value is the saddle if, and that is a big if, it is salvageable condition. the stem is also worth while and perhaps worth twenty dollars. Not sure about the bars but if they are the Map of England set, then that would be a big plus, in my opinion. Steel wheels are less than worth having unless you are shooting for an accurate restoration.

Were I going to make the purchase, and this is condition dependent, $50.00 would be my top offer. Best of luck with your decision.

Map of England handlebar (uncomfortably narrow for me but collectable none the less)...

Last edited by randyjawa; 04-05-22 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-06-22, 11:48 AM
swampyankee2

So I picked up the Grand Prix, for slightly more than the $50 suggested. Based on the features and what I read in the vintage catalogs online, my guess is it's a '76. It is in really great shape, no rust, near perfect paint, Brooks saddle is still supple. Pletscher rack added when newly bought by the seller's Dad. Tires still holding air. LOL The only flaw is the aforementioned broken plastique FD clamp ring. The plan is to cannibalize it for another project. But it seems a shame to break it up. I know a Grand Prix isn't worth all that much but for the cost of a replacement FD, someone could have a 25" frame 10 speed. There seems to be growing interest in Grand Prix's these days, albeit maybe not amongst this crowd...
Old 04-06-22, 01:01 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 256 Posts
I shall split the difference with you: it's a '74, which represents Raleigh's final year of Simplex and the first year with the brake extension levers. I thought you planned to pull parts off it to move to another vintage build.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-06-22, 01:32 PM
swampyankee2

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I shall split the difference with you: it's a '74, which represents Raleigh's final year of Simplex and the first year with the brake extension levers. I thought you planned to pull parts off it to move to another vintage build.
LOL Thats the plan, but it's in nice shape so if I could flip it for a few bucks....
Old 04-06-22, 04:15 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
You could put a WTB add here in the classic forums and get vintage correct Suntour FD to match the rear for not much more than shipping, Pull the rack that doesn't really fit and saddle, put a basic saddle on it clean it up with some and sell for $150-200 local. My self I would take the parts I wanted needed off the bike and put whatever you have that works on it so it rides good and sell it for $100-150 or donate it to a local bike coop. Either way you got a pretty good deal and lucked out on the saddle which is worth the price you paid so after that I would consider it free bike.
Old 04-06-22, 04:37 PM
swampyankee2

Thanx. I just consider what i would pay for the parts I want if I had to buy them separately. It pays for the bike for sure, plus anything I can sell.
But I'm wondering if I should try fixing and selling it, minus the saddle and rack...
I started looking for a replacement FD but remembered that I have a Huret that came with the Challenger RD I bought for my Dawes. I looked at the Dawes and it has the Simplex FD that is broken on the Grand Prix. I can upgrade tte Dawes and fix the GP for free.
Old 04-06-22, 04:59 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by swampyankee2
Thanx. I just consider what i would pay for the parts I want if I had to buy them separately. It pays for the bike for sure, plus anything I can sell.
But I'm wondering if I should try fixing and selling it, minus the saddle and rack...
I started looking for a replacement FD but remembered that I have a Huret that came with the Challenger RD I bought for my Dawes. I looked at the Dawes and it has the Simplex FD that is broken on the Grand Prix. I can upgrade tte Dawes and fix the GP for free.
Don't see any reason this wouldn't work since there are both bottom pull standard clamp friction almost anything friction works for a front double..

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-06-22 at 05:16 PM.