Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

V-brake Bosses

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

V-brake Bosses

Old 05-16-22, 07:38 AM
iandusud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
V-brake Bosses

Hi. Does anyone have a list of values for location of V-brake or Canti bosses in relation to hub centre different wheel sizes, specifically for 26" (559) but others would be good to have. Thanks, Ian
Old 05-16-22, 09:31 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
I don't know what the official size is but I measured it to be 253.5mm for 26", and used this on a frame. The brakes fit fine. But I would also be interested to have a proper chart.
Likes For guy153:
Old 05-16-22, 09:32 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Page 89 in this document has the specifications you are looking for. It is the 2015-16 Shimano frame fit specifications https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-G...DobICllealyI5A
Likes For dsaul:
Old 05-16-22, 11:53 AM
iandusud

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you, that was just what I was looking for. Cheers, Ian
Likes For iandusud:
Old 05-16-22, 05:02 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Careful trusting a chart though. Confirm with the actual brakes you want to use. Most have a range of adjustment, so extreme precision isn't needed, but watch out for edge cases.

Depending some on dropout design, rear posts usually angle away from the axle center, where front posts can angle towards the axle if there's significant rake. "Soft tail" curved seatstays like on a Hetchins, or curved near the bottom to miss a disk brake, could make your posts point at some angle compared to normal (tangent to the rim).

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 05-17-22, 12:54 AM
iandusud

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Mark, Thank you. I have actually considered this and I'm sure that you're right that it will have some effect, although mainly on the angle at which the brake block is set as the distance from the pivot point to the brake block is relatively short compared to a calliper brake. Cheers, Ian
Old 05-17-22, 08:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I strongly suggest that one mocks up the canti brakes and rim, on paper if not with the actual parts. I've found that for the Shimano MT62 family of cantis work best with post to post centers of about 50+mm wider than the rim's outer width. Andy