Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Old 09-27-22, 07:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Why would you pass someone on the right? Who cares if California says you can, its super obnoxious
Viewed one way, a circular paceline is nothing but a constant passing on the right formation.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-27-22, 04:34 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
was out riding Sunday when guy came up on an e-bike and asked "you ever thought about putting a motor on your bike"? When I said no, he said "you should, it's a lot more fun". Then he rode off
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-28-22, 05:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Why would you pass someone on the right? Who cares if California says you can, its super obnoxious

If it's going to be a close enough pass of a cyclist on either side to warrant concern, announce it and then what's obnoxious about it?
I just can't figure out how you decide what is or isn't obnoxious, your etiquette meter seems to be wired backwards.
Old 09-28-22, 06:21 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
I'm perfectly ok with e-bikes until they are more like a motorized vehicle (prohibited on the trails in my area) than a bicycle. I see some regulars that don't pedal at all, and ride approx 25 mph, and the bikes are HUGE. They look more like motorcycles, with triple tree forks, 5" wide tires, massive multi-LED headlights. One is a trike, and he goes very fast, again, with no pedaling. Seems dangerous.

I like seeing the e-boards. That looks fun and they don't seem troublesome.
Old 09-28-22, 04:43 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If it's going to be a close enough pass of a cyclist on either side to warrant concern, announce it and then what's obnoxious about it?
I just can't figure out how you decide what is or isn't obnoxious, your etiquette meter seems to be wired backwards.
I would only pass someone on the right if I knew who they were and know they wouldn't care. Generally I don't think you should have to announce yourself; if the pass is close enough that it warrants an announcement then you probably shouldn't be making that pass and you certainly shouldn't be doing it from the unexpected side (the right.) That being said when I ride with other people I tend to say "inside" or "on your right" more than "on your left" specifically because being on the inside/to the right is kind of unexpected and unusual.

I was commenting on terry because he seems to be a letter of the law type when talking about a scooter dudes top speed (lol!) so I find it interesting that he would ever pass another cyclist on the right. He can pass the cars however he wants I dont care.
Old 09-28-22, 04:52 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Viewed one way, a circular paceline is nothing but a constant passing on the right formation.
Sure, but I was referring to passing strangers. The tropes of the "silent roadie in full kit buzzing past" or "Mr. 'on your left', champion of the multi use path" exist for a reason. I find it funny that a lot of the ire towards ebikers, such as them making unsafe passes, are also directed towards "serious" road cyclists. Its like nobody hates people who ride bikes more than other people who ride bikes LOL
Old 09-29-22, 03:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I would only pass someone on the right if I knew who they were and know they wouldn't care. Generally I don't think you should have to announce yourself; if the pass is close enough that it warrants an announcement then you probably shouldn't be making that pass and you certainly shouldn't be doing it from the unexpected side (the right.) That being said when I ride with other people I tend to say "inside" or "on your right" more than "on your left" specifically because being on the inside/to the right is kind of unexpected and unusual.

I was commenting on terry because he seems to be a letter of the law type when talking about a scooter dudes top speed (lol!) so I find it interesting that he would ever pass another cyclist on the right. He can pass the cars however he wants I dont care.
You are really unclear on the concept of what announcing is for--if it's too close to pass, I'm not going to pass. I announce to prevent someone from unexpectedly swerving in a manner that will cut off the passing lane. Generally, my passes on roads don't warrant announcing because I will swing way out enough so that there really isn't even a theoretical possibility of such a swerve, but I will announce if I sense ANY possibility that could happen even if it's remote. I would only pass a cyclist on the right if they were way out in the road and I'm not sure it's ever actually happened, but any rudeness due to it being unexpected is alleviated by the announcement. If they don't want to be passed, they need to ride faster.
​​​​​I have passed cyclists on the right on MUPs, but they had no business riding on the left side of the path, and I always announce on MUPs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-22, 07:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,164 Times in 761 Posts
I just yell "On Your Left" and pass people on roads and MUPS.

Never have passed on the right. Even if I could have passed on the right I still yell "on your left" because it forces people to be on the right...Where they should be in the first place.
Old 09-29-22, 07:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
Just catching up after being gone a week riding my E bicycle along the Erie Canal.
I do not see this as a straw man argument at all. The message in this thread is clear. There are a bunch of cyclists in this thread that look down their noses at me because I ride an E bicycle exclusively and do not share their view that a bicycle is primarily a piece of exercise equipment. In fact, I look at an E bicycle as just the opposite. Yeah, I know it "does not apply" to me but I get the clear message that it does from this thread.
Today I went out and rode my cadence sensed E bicycle with the dropper post all the way down while ghost pedaling. For you casual observers: "I was an ignorant newbie" instead of a guy using his E bicycle to loosen up stiff joints after working under a piece of machinery. With the saddle all the way down and no pedal pressure, I can roll my hips, knees and ankles through a wide range of motion. On a regular bike I would be cramping in a couple of miles. Instead, I could walk normal without stiffness and pain after two miles.
That's quite the victim mentality. There's been a lot of posters in this topic advocating for e-bikes for commuters, exercise, rehabilitation, touring.

You're reading what you want to read.

What's more, these topics bleed out from the subforums like "e-bikes" or "recumbents" in the general topics. Where manual input diamond frame bikes dominate the chat. You cannot reasonably expect the outcome to be 100% supportive instead of 80/20 or even 50/50. If that's what you seek, there are entire chat forums and sub-forums for it where the support will be closer to 100%.

Kind of like a bike racer shouldn't jump into a fitness/touring/leisure topic and expect to receive 100% support.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-29-22, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by prj71

Never have passed on the right. Even if I could have passed on the right I still yell "on your left" because it forces people to be on the right...Where they should be in the first place.

I don't do it often, but I have passed on the right on paths when people seem to be too clueless to figure out they should've stayed to the right in the first place, and I really don't want to have to wait while they sort that out. I make damn sure they know I'm there before start my pass, though.
Old 09-29-22, 11:05 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Do you hit them when you encounter the hard of hearing or do you take the grass?
Old 09-29-22, 11:12 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
That's quite the victim mentality. There's been a lot of posters in this topic advocating for e-bikes for commuters, exercise, rehabilitation, touring.

You're reading what you want to read.

What's more, these topics bleed out from the subforums like "e-bikes" or "recumbents" in the general topics. Where manual input diamond frame bikes dominate the chat. You cannot reasonably expect the outcome to be 100% supportive instead of 80/20 or even 50/50. If that's what you seek, there are entire chat forums and sub-forums for it where the support will be closer to 100%.

Kind of like a bike racer shouldn't jump into a fitness/touring/leisure topic and expect to receive 100% support.
This whole thread actually belongs in the new Trolling forum because that is exactly what it is.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 09-29-22, 12:20 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by KPREN
Do you hit them when you encounter the hard of hearing or do you take the grass?
I have not encountered that situation. I yell, people move over. Pretty simple.
Old 09-29-22, 01:33 PM
LarrySellerz

I have not encountered that situation. I yell, people move over. Pretty simple.
Thats super obnoxious, youd ask someone to change how they are riding and move over? Wow
Old 09-29-22, 01:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thats super obnoxious, youd ask someone to change how they are riding and move over? Wow

Ever get stuck behind slow moving riders taking up both sides of a path? They get two polite requests then the very loud demanding one. I've been a singer in a couple of punk bands, my loud is really loud.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-22, 02:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Ever get stuck behind slow moving riders taking up both sides of a path? They get two polite requests then the very loud demanding one. I've been a singer in a couple of punk bands, my loud is really loud.
IKR. My voice goes up to 11.

I once gave 3 loud warnings to a jogger wearing earphones. No response. Finally passed her. Scared to hell out of her. She told me I should give a warning. I told her I gave 3 loud ones and that the problem must be the volume of her music.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-29-22, 02:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
If people don’t move, I hit them with a cattle prod or stun gun. Depends on what I feel like carrying. (Kidding). I would hit Larry with a stun gun because I care.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-30-22, 07:43 AM
prj71

This isn't that complicated. If someone is in front of me on a MUP and walking, jogging or riding their bike slower then me I just yell "on your left!!" and they always move over to the right. Works out for everyone and avoids a crash.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-30-22, 09:32 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
If people don’t move, I hit them with a cattle prod or stun gun. Depends on what I feel like carrying. (Kidding). I would hit Larry with a stun gun because I care.
Yeah, you and a lot of other people because we care. No, seriously, we would miss Larry if he didn't add his wisdom now and again.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 09-30-22, 10:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR. My voice goes up to 11.

I once gave 3 loud warnings to a jogger wearing earphones. No response. Finally passed her. Scared to hell out of her. She told me I should give a warning. I told her I gave 3 loud ones and that the problem must be the volume of her music.

I've had that experience--"I said it 3 times, loudly, you obviously can't hear through those". "oh, yeah, sorry". People really forget they can't hear.
Old 09-30-22, 10:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This isn't that complicated. If someone is in front of me on a MUP and walking, jogging or riding their bike slower then me I just yell "on your left!!" and they always move over to the right. Works out for everyone and avoids a crash.

There's the occasional odd case where it's just easier to say on your right--like when someone's riding on the wrong side with their little kid on training wheels. With pedestrians, it's often easier to do the right pass because their dog is on the left side sniffing or something.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-30-22, 12:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I prefer to use a bell, it has never failed me yet. I can't stand cyclists who shout and yell on your left.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-30-22, 02:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I prefer to use a bell, it has never failed me yet. I can't stand cyclists who shout and yell on your left.

I hate bells. I find them difficult to locate because their volumes vary too much and the tone is too short to triangulate, We're even.

BTW, I've seen plenty of times when people don't know how to respond to a bell.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-01-22, 08:26 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Electric-motor bike

Lady comes to the local neighborhood bar and she has an e-bike . I compliment her on it and take a close look. The hubs , spokes , and tires look like s motorcycle. I guess it was 1 less car on the road that's a good thing. I think commuting with them is ok. I just wonder how bikes and electric motor-bikes will share space on bike routes or on bike trails/gravel etc.
Old 10-01-22, 09:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
was out riding Sunday when guy came up on an e-bike and asked "you ever thought about putting a motor on your bike"? When I said no, he said "you should, it's a lot more fun". Then he rode off
Should have replied, Have you ever thought of putting cards in your spokes? It’s a lot more fun and sounds like you have a real motor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.