Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Snot rockets - how much responsibility should I share?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Snot rockets - how much responsibility should I share?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-22, 09:37 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
if you are not able, for whatever reason, to turn your head far enough to ascertain that that's nobody behind you, then you're at fault for blasting something gross into that space.

if you can ascertain that it's clear, snot away.

so i agree with several previous posters, ESH.
Ok, so I get this point and agree with it more than the “never snot rocket” crowd, but do you not think a cyclist who drafts unannounced bears some responsibility?

I believe I missed him because he was so close and had probably drifted into my 7 or 8 when I looked over my right shoulder. I was not expecting somebody to be where he was and it’s seemingly poor etiquette to draft strangers without saying so.

Or are you saying you’d check 360 of your position before letting fly just in case someone has latched onto your wheel?
Old 10-01-22, 10:37 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
If I am riding by myself, with no expectation of anyone around me, I am going to air blow away. If someone gets on my wheel unannounced, then they will get the full experience of riding behind me when I think I am alone. Their problem, not mine.
Likes For woodway:
Old 10-01-22, 10:56 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic

Or are you saying you’d check 360 of your position before letting fly just in case someone has latched onto your wheel?
yes, there’s no way i would launch a snot rocket not knowing if someone was behind me. but i also can’t imagine not knowing someone was on my wheel! it’s not like bikes are totally silent, and i look around while riding. different styles i guess.
Old 10-02-22, 05:29 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Reminds me of a time when I had a spontaneous nose bleed just before a mile long 8% climb
...and you really expect us to believe that someone did not punch you in the face?
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 10-02-22, 06:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
yes, there’s no way i would launch a snot rocket not knowing if someone was behind me. but i also can’t imagine not knowing someone was on my wheel! it’s not like bikes are totally silent, and i look around while riding. different styles i guess.
It does happen precisely because your bike is not silent either. If the bikes are so close together, it's very hard to sort out the competing sounds of the two bikes.

Anyone who wheel sucks assuming the person ahead knows that they're there is a fool.

And it is an unusual enough occurrence that only in 20/20 hindsight could someone be blamed for not checking for the possibility before blowing their nose.

I have discovered that someone was drafting me when their bike hit a bump I somehow missed. I had no idea how long the person was there.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-02-22, 06:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by woodway
If I am riding by myself, with no expectation of anyone around me, I am going to air blow away. If someone gets on my wheel unannounced, then they will get the full experience of riding behind me when I think I am alone. Their problem, not mine.

What I really find annoying about the "you should've known" bit is that the person behind me is putting me at risk if I have to stop suddenly. They're knowingly taking that risk, but I've been involuntarily recruited. An unintended face full of snot seems quite a fair consequence for not announcing their presence.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-02-22, 06:25 AM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Is there any other walk of life that people would be so understanding of another person following an inch or two behind them?

Imagine someone walking an inch behind you for ten minutes? Or whilst jogging/running? And as speeds increase, so does the risk. Anyone drive behind a car so close?

I wouldn’t knowingly blow a bogey on them, but it does seem they’re the ones acting poorly. I know if I were to do it I wouldn’t expect them to know I was there if I didn’t announce myself and would risk the consequences.

And sometimes I hear another bike, if braking or gear changing, but bikes aren’t exactly known for their loudness. (Hence the need to ring a bell when passing.) Most of the time there’s significant wind noise as well.
Likes For Cramic:
Old 10-02-22, 06:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm definitely in the "natural consequences" camp. Of course, spitting and snot rockets can be done in a way that the products just go down, not back. But that's for when you know you are in a group.

If it's so easy to figure out if someone is behind you, racers wouldn't check between their legs to look for a wheel. This assumes racing distances. But if someone is 2 meters back, they aren't really sucking your wheel.

One time I passed someone on a climb (when was the last time that happened?) and then started fiddling with my shoe so they re-passed me. It took me a while to catch them again and just before I got to them they let loose with a big ball of spit. Fortunately it missed, but they were really embarrassed. That much spit is something to be proud of.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-02-22, 07:09 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
I could be wrong but there has been more than one occasion when I blew a snot rocket on the road while riding, versus when I've used my handkerchief to blow into. Seems like soon after blowing the rocket, I picked up speed vs putting my handkerchief back in the frame bag. Could the difference in weight really be that much to make me faster?..... Sorry if I hyjacked yer thread.....
Old 10-02-22, 07:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 308jerry
I could be wrong but there has been more than one occasion when I blew a snot rocket on the road while riding, versus when I've used my handkerchief to blow into. Seems like soon after blowing the rocket, I picked up speed vs putting my handkerchief back in the frame bag. Could the difference in weight really be that much to make me faster?.
No.
Old 10-02-22, 07:23 AM
308jerry

Originally Posted by livedarklions
No.
Maybe it was after the second snot rocket..... Lol
Old 10-02-22, 07:31 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Around where I grew up, this was called the farmers nose blow. When I used to compete in road races, it was common and needed to blow your nose or spit. It can be done easily by aiming downward.

What this thread reminded me of it how often biking is a group activity and the late Jim Croce.
"You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim"
Old 10-02-22, 07:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Maybe it was after the second snot rocket..... Lol
My serious answer would be that you slowed more while getting the handkerchief and putting it back than you did just blowing your nose, thus you had to expend more energy to accelerate after the fact in the handkerchief scenario. I suppose you could be throwing out lead loogies, but it's really hard to believe they weigh enough to notice.
Old 10-02-22, 10:31 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
I could be wrong but there has been more than one occasion when I blew a snot rocket on the road while riding, versus when I've used my handkerchief to blow into. Seems like soon after blowing the rocket, I picked up speed vs putting my handkerchief back in the frame bag. Could the difference in weight really be that much to make me faster?..... Sorry if I hyjacked yer thread.....
We need to know your snot velocity to answer your question. (I think Garmin has a data field for this.)
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-02-22, 11:10 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
We need to know your snot velocity to answer your question. (I think Garmin has a data field for this.)
They do, but you need to be using their nose sensor.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 10-02-22, 11:20 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
It occurs to me, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, the rider behind you probably assumed that you saw him when you turned to look, and that you snotted because you saw him there.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 10-02-22, 11:55 AM
308jerry

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I believe it's close to terminal velocity or the the speed of sound.... Or am I thinking speed of light?
Old 10-02-22, 12:16 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
But I barely achieved a GED. Or something ending with a D. All I can remember is that it was very time consuming and painful. Maybe REEMED!
Oh, a PhD!

Originally Posted by UnCruel
It occurs to me, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, the rider behind you probably assumed that you saw him when you turned to look, and that you snotted because you saw him there.
Totally possible, but I wouldn't worry about silly assumptions made by someone rude enough to put me as risk.

if you are not able, for whatever reason, to turn your head far enough to ascertain that that's nobody behind you, then you're at fault for blasting something gross into that space.
Spoken like somebody who hasn't aged enough to have limited mobility in their neck. Lucky for me, I simply don't blow snot rockets, but those who find it necessary to do so and continue riding into their 70's and 80's may not be able to abide by your rule here.

Last edited by urbanknight; 10-02-22 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-02-22, 02:52 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
i worked for a small little factory 40 years ago. The owner used to walk through the floor and wherever he wanted he would do a walk and blow. He didn't care who was around. I took it as him telling us we were dirt bags as he did treat us as such.
Old 10-02-22, 05:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

[QUOTE=urbanknight;22666309][QUOTE=rsbob;22665893]
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Oh, a PhD!

Totally possible, but I wouldn't worry about silly assumptions made by someone rude enough to put me as risk.

Spoken like somebody who hasn't aged enough to have limited mobility in their neck. Lucky for me, I simply don't blow snot rockets, but those who find it necessary to do so and continue riding into their 70's and 80's may not be able to abide by your rule here.

Please fix your quotes. I didn't say that.
Old 10-02-22, 05:33 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Please fix your quotes. I didn't say that.
Wow, that's some kind of weird glitch. Fixed it now.
Old 10-03-22, 07:06 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
i worked for a small little factory 40 years ago. The owner used to walk through the floor and wherever he wanted he would do a walk and blow. He didn't care who was around. I took it as him telling us we were dirt bags as he did treat us as such.
I've got one even more disgusting than that... my wife's grandfather (old farmer) used to blow his snot rockets on the kitchen floor.