Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone know about this 'Franz Veryken'? odd bike on CL

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-16-21, 03:13 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts

This bike's been on our local CL for a while now:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bi...321326856.html
The rear dropouts are a horizontal slot track style dropouts, but with derailleur mount; and there are screws and washers just ahead of teh rear axle for some unknown reasons. There are two FD mounts brazed on. I guess it's meant to accommodate some superhuman sized chain rings. The weirdest part is the two threaded eyelets welded to the underside of the chain stays. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this bike?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-16-21, 04:28 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The weirdest part is the two threaded eyelets welded to the underside of the chain stays. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this bike?
Mounts for BMX pegs for freestyle tricks.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-16-21, 05:40 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,671 Posts
Guesses:

Bike was repainted at some point; name of manufacturer (whoever that might have been) was replaced by owner's name. (Also possible: bike was built by or for one of the untold thousands of bike shops that were to be found in European cities and towns when they were as ubiquitous as pizza restaurants are in the United States.)

Bike owner (possibly not the original owner) wanted a rear rack; brazed fittings under chainstays were placed there because there was nowhere on the track-style dropouts to accommodate them; rack would have been custom-made for the placement of those fittings.

Certainties:

As so depressingly often seen, (present) owner didn't/doesn't understand that plongeant bikes/funny bikes fit very differently from conventional frames. Bike is far too small for the owner (such bikes should be fitted according to ideal horizontal top tube length, not seat tube length; thus, at most, about two inches of seatpost should be visible) and should have bullhorn bars, not drop bars.
Old 05-16-21, 09:28 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked 4,374 Times in 2,086 Posts
The price is worth the admission of contacting the seller and finding out the history, then buying it and digging up Mr. Veryken to ask many, many questions. The canti/V-brake studs in front open up even MORE questions. Sure, someone's made a mess of that cable entry on the really small top tube, but maybe it's not frame damage and just a hack job attempt to hold the cable housing from shifting.

I'd ordinarily say this was a dual-duty road + track funny bike, but the one thing that doesn't jive with that explanation is the higher-up FD mount.

I'm going to throw a wild thought that the extra braze-ons and bits might have been for speed record attempts - which just might explain why it might have had a huge double ring up front. Wouldn't expect it for time trial, and TT wouldn't explain the under-the-chainstay brazeons. They're not just there because of some hackery.

-Kurt

Old 05-16-21, 10:04 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by cudak888
The canti/V-brake studs in front open up even MORE questions.
You’re right! I totally missed that bit of weirdness!

yeah somebody needs to contact the seller and ask WTH is up with this thing! I can’t because I’m tempted to buy it! $185 is cheap enough for this to just be a goofball bike. And I’m way deep in project bikes already!
Old 05-16-21, 10:13 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Ha! You know what? It’s starting to make sense now! The front Canti mounts are way low for a 700c rim. It’s meant to accommodate a much smaller rim. Maybe a 24” 520 wheel? Likewise the eyelets in the back- that’s where the rear axle goes through when you pop in a 24” wheel. Probably a track style 120mm hub with no rear derailleur. And then in the front you would put on a ginormous chain ring to compensate for that 24” rear wheel, but then for S&G the builder lets you run an FD for a little bit of cheating off the starting line.
It almost makes sense but there is no way to adjust chain tension now. Mmmmm.
Old 05-16-21, 11:23 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked 4,374 Times in 2,086 Posts
I can’t because I’m tempted to buy it! $185 is cheap enough for this to just be a goofball bike. And I’m way deep in project bikes already!
Do it so you can buy it, start a thread with detailed pictures, and simultaneously have it listed on the C&V classifieds so you can pass it on.

Ha! You know what? It’s starting to make sense now! The front Canti mounts are way low for a 700c rim. It’s meant to accommodate a much smaller rim. Maybe a 24” 520 wheel? Likewise the eyelets in the back- that’s where the rear axle goes through when you pop in a 24” wheel. Probably a track style 120mm hub with no rear derailleur. And then in the front you would put on a ginormous chain ring to compensate for that 24” rear wheel, but then for S&G the builder lets you run an FD for a little bit of cheating off the starting line.
It almost makes sense but there is no way to adjust chain tension now. Mmmmm.
I was thinking some sort of fatter-tired 24" wheel for some speed runs, possibly.

The two eyelets are not for another axle. The closeups show that they have fine threads; they're not smooth. Given their size, they've got to be load bearing to a degree. I almost want to guess that they're for some sort of a faring, but who'd use another rider for a speed run as a derny? Likewise, there's nothing in front to suggest that whatever bolted to the back extended to the front.

-Kurt

Old 05-16-21, 11:29 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 2,176 Times in 1,181 Posts
It's been up for more than 3 days....If it were in L.A. I would make an offer on it.....IMC, give them a ring SACTO is an hour away from S.F.
Add it to your TT collection. icemilkcoffee
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 02-03-22, 09:34 AM
robh64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
Franz Veryken

Franz Veryken was an old family friend. My dads family came from Holland in the early 50’s and after they had their own home, sponsored other countrymen to move here. Franz was one of them and became like a brother. Lived in San Jose somewhere and spent a lot of time wt the Dutch Coffee Shop in Saratoga (Little Amsterdam?). He would come around all the time with his bike inventions. He had various designs where the peddles when up and down instead around. This was probably one of those modified bikes with the mechanism removed. Last time I saw him or his bikes was the early 90’s.
Old 02-03-22, 10:03 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by robh64
Franz Veryken was an old family friend. My dads family came from Holland in the early 50’s and after they had their own home, sponsored other countrymen to move here. Franz was one of them and became like a brother. Lived in San Jose somewhere and spent a lot of time wt the Dutch Coffee Shop in Saratoga (Little Amsterdam?). He would come around all the time with his bike inventions. He had various designs where the peddles when up and down instead around. This was probably one of those modified bikes with the mechanism removed. Last time I saw him or his bikes was the early 90’s.
Great first post!
Thanks for the history. If you have them we would love to see photos of any of his unusual bikes.
Brent
Old 02-03-22, 11:35 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by robh64
He had various designs where the peddles when up and down instead around. This was probably one of those modified bikes with the mechanism removed.
Sounds like maybe a treadle drive? And the chainstay eyelets would be the anchor points for the treadles?
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 02-03-22, 07:05 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
I don't know about the weird braze-ons but I do know that track dropouts with the derailleur hangers are common on TT bikes as for someone to do time trials on the road and track with the same bike.
Old 02-04-22, 04:17 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,572 Times in 1,758 Posts
Have a look at this:

US Patent 4577879

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-04-22, 04:47 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
That IS cool...
Old 05-02-22, 02:45 PM
HovaRide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RobH64: Franz Veryken

RobH64, well state brother! I grew up in San Jose California and a mutual friend introduced me to Franz. He was an amazing individual full of life and vigor, not to mention one heck of a rider, specially for his much older age and a great knowledge for the sport as well as industry.

He had some amazing and fun stories to tell. Anyhow to Rob’s point …yes he loved to tinker and invent things. A very smart and creative man.

aftner many years I too have not seen him since the late 90’s.

but that was his hike alright.

sorry but I never caught as to where you saw that?

also wish I knew if he was still around.

Javier