Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

5 G, 2021 done

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-21, 03:42 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
5 G, 2021 done

This past weekend I hit the 5,000 mile mark for the year. Due to problems with my left shoulder, I am shutting it down for the year. I know I have a couple of small, partial tears and a large cyst deep in the joint. Until this past week, I had been able to ride without aggravating the shoulder. Yesterday, I got in a short ride that solidified the decision to shut it down.

I got home and started the clean and lube process on my bikes. I did a total wash and lube on the four bikes I have been riding lately, two bikes a quick wipe down and lube, and I have two others that needed no work.

2021 has been a good cycling year for me. I did extensive work on my Lemond Tourmalet, Airborne Zeppelin and my Orbea Avant. I set up my Schwinn Super Sport DBX as a market bike and my Lemond Poprad sort of as a gravel bike. The Poprad rides and handles very nicely with the new GK semi-slick 38mm on it. It is a tight fit at the chain stays, but ok. This was my 5th consecutive year with at least 5000 miles, and the last 8 years I have pedaled over 41000 miles.

Whatever the outcome of the shoulder is, I will deal with it and do what I need to do. I am doing PT, but it is not helping and likely coming to an end. I had the right shoulder surgically repaired in 2011, so, I know it is a difficult, painful recovery. I think this is a good time to start going through all my stuff and deciding what stays and what goes, and getting things re-organized.

The four bikes I prepped y'day:

Lemond Poprad, Soma Smoothie, Schwinn SS DBX and Orbea Avant

Cleaned, lubed, likely stashed til spring.
Old 12-07-21, 08:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
This past weekend I hit the 5,000 mile mark for the year. Due to problems with my left shoulder, I am shutting it down for the year. I know I have a couple of small, partial tears and a large cyst deep in the joint. Until this past week, I had been able to ride without aggravating the shoulder. Yesterday, I got in a short ride that solidified the decision to shut it down.

I got home and started the clean and lube process on my bikes. I did a total wash and lube on the four bikes I have been riding lately, two bikes a quick wipe down and lube, and I have two others that needed no work.

2021 has been a good cycling year for me. I did extensive work on my Lemond Tourmalet, Airborne Zeppelin and my Orbea Avant. I set up my Schwinn Super Sport DBX as a market bike and my Lemond Poprad sort of as a gravel bike. The Poprad rides and handles very nicely with the new GK semi-slick 38mm on it. It is a tight fit at the chain stays, but ok. This was my 5th consecutive year with at least 5000 miles, and the last 8 years I have pedaled over 41000 miles.

Whatever the outcome of the shoulder is, I will deal with it and do what I need to do. I am doing PT, but it is not helping and likely coming to an end. I had the right shoulder surgically repaired in 2011, so, I know it is a difficult, painful recovery. I think this is a good time to start going through all my stuff and deciding what stays and what goes, and getting things re-organized.

The four bikes I prepped y'day:

Lemond Poprad, Soma Smoothie, Schwinn SS DBX and Orbea Avant

Cleaned, lubed, likely stashed til spring.

Good job! I can relate because I started the year getting winded on 2 mile rides due to lung injuries I suffered last year. My rehab program was getting to 5000 miles this year, which I exceeded by 551 miles. This is a bit off from my last 2 years, but I had to work a lot harder to get there this year. It's gotten too cold for me to enjoy the long rides I prefer, so I've shut it down as well, but I'm very tempted to take a bike out for 4 miles so I can make it 5555 miles for the year. It just looks cool.

I hope the time off heals your shoulder enough to avoid more surgery or whatever.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-11-21, 04:33 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Good luck with the shoulder, hope you heal up quickly and are back on it in the new year! 🙂
Old 12-11-21, 04:55 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
That's a nice quiver, and a good year's worth of riding. Enjoy your break!
Old 12-17-21, 06:18 AM
genezimer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
interesting
Old 12-17-21, 08:47 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Hope you get your shoulder problems straightened out . Well wishes to you.
I also got my 5000 miles in last weekend. Been quite a grind as most of the miles are all by myself. This is my 3rd year in a row for that goal. It is a tremendous challenge and you are to be congratulated on completing such an endeavor.
Old 12-21-21, 07:42 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Congratulations on the milestones. I’m at about 3500 miles for this year. Today (12/21/21) I just hit my 70,000th lifetime cycling mile. I’m almost 61 years old and that took me 40 years. But I’m a triathlete so much of my workout time is also dedicated to swimming and running. My lifetime miles for them is >3300 miles, and >50,000 miles respectively.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 12-21-21 at 07:46 PM.