Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Goals for 2022

Old 02-23-22, 01:22 PM
lurch0038

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Down 120lbs so far (max of 420lbs) and going on a number of weekend bikepacking adventures in New England in 22'!
It is amazing to see the performance gains in dropping the weight. Climbing hills that would previously sap the energy right out of me are now easy-peasy.
Likes For lurch0038:
Old 02-23-22, 07:54 PM
LiftandPedal

Bikes: ‘05 CAAD8, R1000; ‘22 Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Denver Century in September and a 405lb squat…
Old 02-26-22, 06:45 PM
jcbadabing

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm hoping to embrace and stick with cycling as part of my lifestyle. Picked it up last year at the age of 61, like that I can go ride for 3 hours (at a pace much slower than most of you) and enjoy it. Retirement comes this summer so will have unlimited time available. I took up cycling as another form of exercise, but I'm finding that it gives me motivation to live a healthier lifestyle and be more responsible about what I eat so that I can become a better cyclist. The mileage goals will come later, I hope.
Old 03-02-22, 09:29 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
My computer tells me that I have wieght loss charts going back to 2007. Some lasted only a couple of weeks, some a couple of months, but ultimately they didnt work. I have many excuses, I work away from home, so dont always have facilities.... but ultimately its down to my liking of food and beer!! the good side is that between 2007 and now, my wieght has hovered between 100kg and 105kg... and mostly closer to 102... (I'm 5'9" tall)

So here we are is 2022... I made a new weight loss chart... low and behold, I have actually made it into month three... (just)... due to two months of rain and cold, cycling has been on a back burner.. so I stopped driving to work and walked the 3km each way, and started walking also at lunch time. My aim was to walk 10k steps a day. I have only not fullfilled that on 3 occassions so far, but even so have atually averaged over 13k steps a day for the year so far with a best day of 35k steps.

I'm not on any kind of diet, I have long learned dieting is useless if you cant keep it up, so its subtle changes, healthy choices that I have started to make. I keep my walking and exercise chart up to date, keep a loose record of what I eat, record weight, chest, waist and butt measurments once a week... and I am seeing some results, as of last weekend I've gone from 102.5kg to 97.3kg... and from a combined measurment of 344cm to 321cm for chest, waist & butt, thats 5kg and 9 inches of losses...

Other benifits have been that I dont have aching joints or muscles after a hike.. I'm sleeping better (I'm 63 so sleep is never great)...

The weather is getting better so I've managed 3 x 40+ km rides in the last 2 weeks, and will try and keep that up at the weekends.

As far as diet goes, I've gome from 2 nights a week having beers to one, will get thet dow to 2 a month I hope, salads for lunch, and generally being more carefull with what and how much.. not easy as I'm a big eater.. and as I'm away from home I have no one to tell me not too...!!!

My goal is to be 85 kg by Sept/Oct ish... and 80kg by January 2023.... right now I'm enjoing the walking (come rain or shine)... I have found that cycle and walking muscles are different so both can be done in the same day.. pretty much without harming each activity... of course when i do a 20km walk then I dont ride... but I am able to ride 30km and still do a minimum of 10k steps.

I'll let you know how I progress. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by deaninkl; 03-02-22 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-09-22, 04:27 PM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Considering 7 years ago and about 50 pounds I was averaging about 100 miles a week, I am happy just to be riding again. Fitness is my overall goal for this year, and potentially a small 10 day or so Bike Tour (Considering Natchez Trace as I live about 100 miles from the start - I may just head out my door one day and do it! In all seriousness, I feel I have done a great job at investing and matching my own retirement in the education system, that I am retiring in a little less than 5 years at the age of 51. I am retiring the year my twins graduate high school, and I am hoping to do a major tour with them, or hike a the John Muir trail (on my bucket list since I was 15). I would like to hit at least 2,000 miles for the rest of the year - Our local bike club group rides start up this month - so I hope to do 2-3 of those a week and a good ride on weekends.
Likes For kstephens:
Old 03-15-22, 06:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
First tour coming up in one month. Thursday through Sunday from S. Jersey to Lewes, DE then up the coast to A.C. for a train ride home. I'm ascared as the weekends have been crappy so I have few miles under the belt. At least the route is mostly flat.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-19-22, 01:14 PM
ozark75

Bikes: 2017 Giant Sedona DX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just need start riding again. Gave it a shot 3 years ago, loved it but didn't stick with it.

This year my goals are to ride consistently and reduce my BMI from Obese to Overweight (or close to it).
Likes For ozark75:
Old 04-03-22, 11:37 AM
TheSilverFox 

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit, GT Avalanche, Trek Domane, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSilverFox
Late to the party and first time poster

1. Go for a snow ride
2. Get under 200lbs. Currently at 217lbs
3. Ride 2,500 miles = 50 miles per week with 2 weeks off. Ahead of schedule currently 240 miles YTD

Just found bike forum. Looking forward to reading much more.
UPDATE!!! Made the snow ride happen in Feb, me and the kid both wiped out hard on ice. Was a blast!

YTD have 580 miles, was slowed for a couple of weeks with Covid

Bonus achievement, managed to destroy frame on new Domane. Maiden voyage off the trainer did a 40 mile ride outside, also a first. Got home and decided it would be prudent to wash the lingering salt and road snot off it. Leaned it up against garbage can and when I went to grab towels to dry it a large gust of wind blew it over and frame hit the wheel on the garbage can perfectly. Found a shop that can repair it and now my wallet is $600 lighter.......

Also subscribed to to forum to help support.
Likes For TheSilverFox:
Old 04-08-22, 07:15 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I am currently at 209lbs. Goal is to get to 190 by end of summer. There, I said it out loud. Kinda, at least typed it out loud.
Old 04-21-22, 10:31 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
My goals were pretty simple at the beginning of the year, these were my goals:

Ride at least 6000 miles

Things that don't have anything to do with cycling
Visit my daughter in NYC

Walk again.

So far I have ridden over 2000 miles

Visited NYC
And have walked for the last month without a walker, crutches or cane.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 04-24-22, 06:50 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
I got back into cycling almost a year ago. I am currently at 220lbs. I am comfortable at 185/190lbs though... so, I am looking to drop 30+lbs. My son has gotten into road and mtb riding, so I have a riding partner now, which is nice. (He is 10) He also wants to start racing, so I have been riding quite a bit more over the past 3 months. I find myself twice as excited to go ride now that he is riding with me.

my goals:
1. 2k miles this year. I am at 290 miles so far, but we are increasing our rides per week.
2. Get to an average speed of 16-18mph for a 20mile ride. Right now, I am at 15+mph on 12 mile rides.
3. Lose the weight.
Old 04-29-22, 06:53 AM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
Goals for 2022 and Why

We started looking for a new home in late 2020,[schools had been closed and wife was bored] both of us end up with covid in November. Realized the summer of 2020 I was able overweight and out of shape. My knees hurt so bad it was everything I could do to walk had to sit down all the time. Manged to install sewer water and electric on a lot we bought. We ended up buying a custom built modular home due to the fact no one wanted to build a small home 1500 sq ft. Oct 21 went to DR got the necessary test A1c was 11.8, I blew it off. Ended up on more metformin and Trulicity. on 1/1/22 I was 331 pounds at 6'1". decided it was time to do something, so my goals are as follows.
Loose 81 pounds [have already lost 25.8]
Ride 1677.71 miles that is the damn challenge that popped up while looking at my old Garmin stuff
A1c under 6 [it was 6.8 last check up]
Why I want to live long enough to become a pain I the butt to my grand children!!! I also have allot left to do. I am 61 years young
Old 04-30-22, 02:40 PM
Andyota

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Langster, 1997, 1999 and 2000 Schwinn Homegrown, a couple 1990s Mongoose IBOC MTBs.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Goals, lifestyle,

The goal remains the same, Lose 100#, don't let the b*$tards get you down, and ride like your life depends on it.
Old 05-01-22, 02:18 PM
indyfabz

Rolled and overnighter this weekend. About 47 each way. Got down into the 30s last night. Wore clothes and a hat and pulled the sleeping bag tight. Cozy, but not much mobility.

Creekside lunch yesterday, and I made a yummy dinner.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-11-22, 01:19 PM
feejer

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
My goals are way less ambitious than y'all, but you have to start somewhere! I would be super happy to drop another 15+ lbs, get my BP and blood numbers back in check, and be able to ride at least 40mi. That would make me very happy, and with my job and home life that would be about all I would be able to squeeze in as well. Got the first ride in today, and a lot of good weather months ahead.
Old 05-12-22, 12:08 PM
kunoichi

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
My goal is less ambitious than everyone as well. I want to get with my riding to where by June I can replace my indoor workout with riding on the bike. Right now it's just making sure I have some of the basic skills down flat (being able to signal without weaving, stopping and re-starting smoothly, etc.). I would love to get to where I can ride to our nearest big park and back. I'm trying not to make a weight loss goal, instead I'm working on eating healthy and exercising without panicking about the numbers on the scale, otherwise, I tend to get frustrated and throw the whole thing in the trash when I stall.
Old 05-18-22, 09:18 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I realize I'm a little late to the party here, but I figured I'd add my goals...

1. 270 pounds by my birthday - April 6 (I started the year at 298) - I was at 265
2. Ride 50 miles on my birthday weekend - done
3. Ride a century - have one scheduled for August
4. Ride for at least 30 minutes every day. I started on February 2. Today will be day #105 in a row.

I do have a long term goal to be under 200 pounds by December 21, 2023. I'm at 258 this morning, so I feel like I have a very good shot at achieving this goal.
Old 06-25-22, 03:53 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jeneralist
Learn the intricacies of e-bike touring. After 5 years on the sidelines, accept that these are the knees I have, and stop being ashamed of the bike I need to ride. Planning a ride along the Erie Canal in June.

Been there and back! Details are over in the e-bike forum: you can read it here.
Old 06-25-22, 08:27 PM
TheSilverFox 

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit, GT Avalanche, Trek Domane, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Update!!!

Originally Posted by TheSilverFox
Late to the party and first time poster

1. Go for a snow ride
2. Get under 200lbs. Currently at 217lbs
3. Ride 2,500 miles = 50 miles per week with 2 weeks off. Ahead of schedule currently 240 miles YTD

Just found bike forum. Looking forward to reading much more.
1. Go for a snow ride CHECK
2. Get under 200lbs. Currently at 217lbs GETTING CLOSE CURRENTLY 205!!!
3. Ride 2,500 miles = 50 miles per week with 2 weeks off. Ahead of schedule currently 240 miles YTD DOING WELL CURRENTLY 1,400 MILES ON THE CLOCK!!!
Old 07-01-22, 06:09 AM
indyfabz

Rolled 7 days of riding in Vermont last month. Two days off. Account and photos here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ip-report.html

Think I did ok with only about 625 miles for the year under my belt.

Planning my next extended trip starting the weekend after Labor Day. Vienna, OH, home to Philly. A variation on a route I did back in 2014 and started but aborted in 2018 due to crazy weather.
Old 09-20-22, 01:12 PM
Zombldy

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
To be able to ride into town for coffee! About 15 miles.
Likes For Zombldy:
Old 09-27-22, 09:08 AM
indyfabz

Well...I almost completed Vienna, OH to Philly. In Frenchtown, NJ, after 6 of the 66 miles on the final day of the trip, I decided to raise the seat a bit. Applied too much torque while tightening the collar bolt and snapped it. There was a bike shop in town, but it did not open until 10, which was not for a couple of hours. Assuming it could make the repair, I would have started riding around 10:30 am. With 60 miles left to go, I would not have gotten home until early evening, which is something I did not want to do for various reasons. Also, if the shop had been unable to get me back on the road then I would have been looking at a later rescue. My GF offered to drive a ways to come pick me up. I accepted. If you ever have to get stranded somewhere, you could do a lot worse than Frenchtown. I got a nice second breakfast of decaf and fresh donuts. Also found a Sunday NYT and did the crossword puzzle while waiting for my ride.

The odometer showed 502 total miles over 10 days of riding, including the day of only 6 miles. Rode a lot of pretty miles and some that were not so nice. Wildlife included two bald eagles and a ruffed grouse, which is PA's state bird. Heard owls every night of the trip, including one right above my shelter the first night. I also heard some howling coyotes one night. Only one day of riding in the rain, but there was a lot of rain the night before my rest day at Bald Eagle State Park.

I have gotten in over 1,100 miles of loaded touring so far this summer. hoping to get in one or two more long weekend trips to S. Jersey before the year is through.
Old 09-29-22, 09:07 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
2022 is about shot, so no goals for me this year. However, I have set a goal for 2023... to lose about 40 pounds and to ride in the organized century ride I opted out of a couple of years ago due to Covid. So I've got 11 more months to train and get back down to my fighting weight. And once I get there again, to stay there.
Old 10-04-22, 06:40 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I'm closing in on my goal of 6000 miles this year. To date I have 5404 miles.
Old 11-23-22, 02:33 AM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SquishyBiker
I was thinking what am I looking for in 2022, and of course another bike was top of my list, but with my weight I just pip over the max total weight of the bikes I want.
So my goal for 2022 I suppose is a combo, to drop from 112kg to under 105kg by July 2022 to purchase one of the following road bikes from my LBS, and then under 100kg by late November 2022 to ride a 3rd time on an annual 100 mile challenge ride in the link below

Bike options:
1. Avanti Gran Durance 2: https://www.avantibikes.com/nz/bikes...ran-durance-2/
2. Scott Speedster 30: https://www.scott-sports.com/nz/en/p...icle=286469061

Challenge ride: https://cyclechallenge.com/

So whats your 2022 goals?
As we near the end of 2022, my goal was and remains to get out for regular rides and improve over all health.

So far I’m approaching 7k miles for 2022 and have been able to eliminate my blood pressure and cholesterol meds while losing weight along the way.

Keep riding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.