Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Manayunk Wall aka the hill on the Adam Sandler film Hustle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 02:27 AM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

Just watched the Adam Sandler basketball film Hustle. Set in Philadelphia.

As part of Bo’s training he gets him running up a hill that I’ve googled and is know as Manayunk Wall.

Sandler’s character wants Bo to run up it in under 1min45 and that “average pro cyclists” do it in 2mins.

The cyclists Bo actually competes against are guys on commutes! And just about beats them it seems.

Anyway, what’s the actual experience like? What’s a good time? I’m likely to never get to Philly, much less actually cycle it. Just out of interest!
Old 06-13-22, 05:03 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
The Strava segment is .37 miles and average grade of 10.5%, although the hill continues at a much shallower grade for a couple more blocks. The steepest part of it is around 18% grade. The fastest time on that segment is 1:14. My friend did it the other day in 3:49, at mile 45 of his ride. He's a pretty fit cyclist and is training for a cycling trip to Italy.

I have walked up it to watch the pro race and it's hard on the calves, just walking up the sidewalk in the steepest section.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 06-13-22, 05:41 AM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
The Strava segment is .37 miles and average grade of 10.5%, although the hill continues at a much shallower grade for a couple more blocks. The steepest part of it is around 18% grade. The fastest time on that segment is 1:14. My friend did it the other day in 3:49, at mile 45 of his ride. He's a pretty fit cyclist and is training for a cycling trip to Italy.

I have walked up it to watch the pro race and it's hard on the calves, just walking up the sidewalk in the steepest section.
Thanks. Great info.

Have you watched the film out of interest? The hill is on Netflix as being Manayunk Wall, but I’ve just watched a video of a race going up it and it doesn’t seem to be it. In the film it ends at a long run of steps, maybe 100 of them. Also the houses look different.
Old 06-13-22, 07:19 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Thanks. Great info.

Have you watched the film out of interest? The hill is on Netflix as being Manayunk Wall, but I’ve just watched a video of a race going up it and it doesn’t seem to be it. In the film it ends at a long run of steps, maybe 100 of them. Also the houses look different.
It looks like they filmed the movie scene a couple of blocks over on Green St. It's the same hill, but the street is wider. The steps in the movie are on Main St. and go up to Ridge Ave. If you go to Google maps and look for the intersection of Main St. and Ridge Ave. Use Google street view to go down Main St. a little bit and you'll see the steps going up to Ridge Ave.
Old 06-14-22, 08:00 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Just watched the Adam Sandler basketball film Hustle. Set in Philadelphia.

As part of Bo’s training he gets him running up a hill that I’ve googled and is know as Manayunk Wall.

Sandler’s character wants Bo to run up it in under 1min45 and that “average pro cyclists” do it in 2mins.

The cyclists Bo actually competes against are guys on commutes! And just about beats them it seems.

Anyway, what’s the actual experience like? What’s a good time? I’m likely to never get to Philly, much less actually cycle it. Just out of interest!
I watched Hustle and thought it was about the best basketball based movie I have seen since it had many current and retired great players in the cast.

Adam Sandler acted a superb role as a scout and then assistant coach for Phili.

As far as the hill training, I only noticed Bo pass a commuter type cyclist on his last training attempt when he broke 2 mins. Dont think a runner would be able to beat a good cycling hill sprinter. Bo is played by Juancho Hernangomez who is a professional player and thus a world class athlete.
Old 06-14-22, 08:34 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
No idea about the hill, but it's a damn good basketball movie. 👍
Old 06-14-22, 09:43 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Hustle was a good movie and I'm not even a basketball fan. As someone said above, it wasn't the Wall, but some streets over. I've ridden the Wall a few times. I was 25 years younger and a lot lighter, though. I set no records, but I did OK.

I went to school in Philly and continued to live there after graduation for a few years. My coworker and cycling buddy lived at the top of the Wall with her husband. She hosted a party for some club members during the CoreStates race. Here are pictures I took in 1998 or 1999 as the racers climbed the Wall. A few hundred feet from here, someone sets up a shower on Wall for the riders to pass under to cool off. John Debella from a local rock station would livecast and hang with the locals. It was such a good time.

You might be able to pick out some famous cyclists, but I only recognize Lance Armstrong (lower left).

Paul

Last edited by pennpaul; 06-14-22 at 10:43 PM.
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 06-15-22, 04:24 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
Hustle was a good movie and I'm not even a basketball fan. As someone said above, it wasn't the Wall, but some streets over. I've ridden the Wall a few times. I was 25 years younger and a lot lighter, though. I set no records, but I did OK.

I went to school in Philly and continued to live there after graduation for a few years. My coworker and cycling buddy lived at the top of the Wall with her husband. She hosted a party for some club members during the CoreStates race. Here are pictures I took in 1998 or 1999 as the racers climbed the Wall. A few hundred feet from here, someone sets up a shower on Wall for the riders to pass under to cool off. John Debella from a local rock station would livecast and hang with the locals. It was such a good time.

You might be able to pick out some famous cyclists, but I only recognize Lance Armstrong (lower left).

Paul

Oh man,The Morning Zoo with John DeBella! I remember the "war" between him and Howard Stern,when Stern first got started..WMMR,WIOQ,WYSP..gawd Philly radio was great back then..
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 06-15-22, 05:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
I was West Philadelphia born and raised. Grew up about 10 blocks from Will Smith. I’ve only done the Wall once just to say I’ve done it.

Miss the good old days on the U.S. Pro Championship. One year I rode behind 7-11 the day before the race when the team was out for a spin. It was really funny. They were cruising along and talking at around 23 mph while a bunch of us ragtag locals were nearly blowing chunks trying to keep up. Years later I was on the side of a trail fixing a mechanical when Armstrong and the rest of the Motorola team flew by. And Bobby Julich lived near the wall for a time while he was dating a woman who lived in Philly.

After they added the women’s race our club would occasionally get requests to host team members for the weekend. One year 3 members of a Swedish team were looking for a place to stay. Sadly, my house, which is very close to where the race started, was too small.
Likes For indyfabz: