Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

STAY MITERING FIXTURE - made out of 1530 extrusion from 80/20

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-22, 04:10 AM
apollodriver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

hello dear Friends,

i just have browsed some sites with STAY MITERING FIXTURE and came across this page.

STAY MITERING FIXTURE - see https://varcocycles.com/2020/02/25/s...ering-fixture/

well it is made out of 1530 material - see the pics for more insights

1530 extrusion from 80/20 for the main beam of the fixture. This provides a wide base that’s rigid enough to support the tube blocks. Then I needed to make the dropout side of the fixture height adjustable to handle the tapered tubes of the stays. So I whipped up a simple bracket with a platform that raises and lowers on a slot with two pins as a guide. This platform holds tube blocks. I added markers to reference the distance from center so it would be easier to set up the stay ends evenly.

quote:
The BB and ST side uses similar tube blocks and has a fixed height block with similar reference markers. Of course I had to add “Varco Cycles” somewhere. 😁
- see the pics for more insights ... over there.

Question:
a.
do you think that this is a good method to do a chainstay fixture!?
b. is it worth to go this way - and to try to do some chainstay-fixture - made out of 80/20?
c. is this a clever approach - or is it not worth to go this "way"?

what do you think!?

Look forward to hear from you

PS - do not know if we can add pics here!? - Can we?! I have no glue!?

Last edited by apollodriver; 07-02-22 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-02-22, 05:17 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
This is one that I made for someone else. As usual, mine is not quite as nice, but it works in much the same way.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 07-02-22, 05:28 AM
apollodriver

hello dear dsaul

note: i am quite in a hurry at the moment. But i will reply later the weekend more.

many thanks for the quick reply. as always - youre very quick - and indeed: your work is awesome.

Originally Posted by dsaul
This is one that I made for someone else. As usual, mine is not quite as nice, but it works in much the same way.
i like it very much. This looks so awesome and great-.
i think that is the way to go!!!
Old 07-02-22, 12:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
The only stay mitering fixtures I've used don't allow both ends to be mitered in one fixturing up. They, like what dsual showed, have a hard stop (or dummy axle) at one end. Since I hand miter the stays' drop out interfaces I have no need for a fixture that can do both ends. Andy
Old 07-03-22, 03:04 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Mine is very similar to dsaul's. I braze the dropouts to the chainstays before mitering so, I use a dummy axle where dauls uses the bar with locating cones. Looks like this one could work either way.

I tack my stays/dropouts in the fixture, take them out and fully braze them. Then I load them back into the fixture and adjust everything so there's no tension and everything matches with the drawing. Then I attach to the mill to miter the BB end.
Old 07-03-22, 04:40 AM
apollodriver

hello dear duanedr hello dear DSaul good day dear Andrew D Stewart

I'm learning more every day. Joining this forum and discussing all the things with you - before cutting, drawing, planning and joining materials has been the best learning process. Well it would be awesome to create a stay mitering fixture like you did DSaul

the only stay mitering fixtures I've used don't allow both ends to be mitered in one fixturing up. They, like what dsual showed, have a hard stop (or dummy axle) at one end. Since I hand miter the stays' drop out interfaces I have no need for a fixture that can do both ends. Andy
I would love to make everything myself - but i guess that the creation of a mitering-fixture goes a bit over my head.

I like the idea of creating a stay mitering fixture out of 80/20 - this is a great idea. DSaul - yours version - it is awesome and very sophisticated. Chapeau

look forward to hear again from you

greetings apolloDriver
Old 07-03-22, 10:15 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Don't let the lack of fixtures stop you. And beware of becoming a fixture maker instead of a bike maker! Fixtures are great, once you have process dialed in and want to make similar bikes in less time. I know from my experience and talking with others, most new bike makers want to experiment with designs and each bike can be quite different from the last. And their process changes from frame to frame. I know mine were all different enough in various ways that each bike required modifications to some fixtures. In other words, using fixtures actually slowed me down. I'd like to re-design or make new fixtures but, they are quite time-consuming projects.
Likes For duanedr: