Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trying to upgrade my mtb

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Trying to upgrade my mtb

Old 08-20-22, 04:34 AM
arbj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to upgrade my mtb

Hi,

i have an mtb that is fitted with Shimano Tourney TX 8 speed derailleur on the rear and TY derailleur on the front (3 speed). The shifters are integrated with the brakes, mechanical disc brakes. The cassette is Shimano HG-200

i want to upgrade to hydraulic disc brakes, so for this I have to use separate gear shifters and brake lever arrangement. I don’t want to change the derailleurs and the cassette.

For this I have selected the following parts

1. Shimano hydraulic disc brake set MT-201 , front left and rear right
2. Shimano Altus SL-M315 shifter, 3 speed for front and Shimano Altus SL-M315 shifter , 8 speed for rear

Will the above combinations work with the Shimano HG-200 cassette and the TX and TY derailleurs? Or do I have to change these as well?
how about the shift ratio of the gear cables wont this be different for Altus and Tourney derailleurs?

Thanks
a
Old 08-20-22, 08:41 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
As long as you stayed with both Shimano and 8 speed you are good.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 08-20-22, 08:43 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I would find a cable actuated hydraulic caliper and be done.
Old 08-20-22, 08:50 AM
arbj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
As long as you stayed with both Shimano and 8 speed you are good.
the above parts are all 8 speed, I have no intention of upgrading to 9 speed any time soon. So are the above parts good? What about the cable shift distances are these different for each type?
Old 08-20-22, 08:55 AM
arbj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tusk
I would find a cable actuated hydraulic caliper and be done.
could you suggest a suitable part? They seem to be very few options

Last edited by arbj; 08-20-22 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-20-22, 11:24 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
IMO, the best cable actuated mechanical disc brakes are Avid BB7's, but I like your original plan. Maybe you should go half way and just change the front to hydraulic. AIR, front shifters are available without purchasing a set.
Old 08-20-22, 12:06 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The parts you have listed should work fine with the 8sp tourney cassette and derailleurs. Just make sure the shifters you buy are 3x8sp as that shifter comes in a few speeds.

Originally Posted by 2old
IMO, the best cable actuated mechanical disc brakes are Avid BB7's, but I like your original plan. Maybe you should go half way and just change the front to hydraulic. AIR, front shifters are available without purchasing a set.
I have BB7 and Paul Klamper mechanical brakes, the klamper stop significantly better, but these won't be in the OP's budget.

Tusk was suggesting something like the Juin Tech R1/M1 cable actuated hydraulic brakes. These stop better than BB7, especially with drop bar. I do think BB7 is good with flat bar where you have more leverage.

Last edited by katsup; 08-20-22 at 12:12 PM.
Likes For katsup:
Old 08-20-22, 10:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I would save up money for a more practical bike. If the bike is equipped with tourney you can be assured the rest of the bike is going to be similarly lower end and not worth upgrading. Ride the bike enjoy the bike and save that money towards a bike with Deore or above and an air fork, you will be much happier.
Old 09-01-22, 11:50 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by arbj
the above parts are all 8 speed, I have no intention of upgrading to 9 speed any time soon. So are the above parts good? What about the cable shift distances are these different for each type?
5 through 8 speed the distance between cogs stayed the same. The hubs just got wider to accomadate the gears. 8 speed shifters and derailer will work with 7 or 8 speed by adjusting the limit screws. 9 speed and up, the gears get closer and closer and nothing will be cross compatible.