Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My first time with clipless.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-16-22, 03:07 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

After having ridden a bike from the age of 9, with about 20 years off from back surgery and such, to now at 73 years of age today was my first time with clipless pedals. I worked them at home, connect - disconnect until I felt ok with riding around my home area. Again, connect - disconnect a few times and felt good enough to venture out on the Greenway today. Did fine and used the water stops to practice snapping in and out and also to adjust the fore-aft placement of the cleat. I do need to raise the saddle a little more, raised it about 3/16th of an inch, to compensate for the thickness of the shoes but otherwise, it went well. That is right up to the time, after stopping to talk to another guy roughly my age, trying to start back up, on a small hill trying to go uphill, not enough speed to connect my other foot and did a 0 mph fall to my right. Scuffed my elbow but other than that it was just my ego that got hurt. I explained that this was my first outing with the clipless system and he informed me that I will probably do this, the fall, a few more times. We had a good laugh and went our separate ways. That said it is a very good feeling being so connected to the bike and I am truly sorry that I have not made the transition long ago. Be safe all.

Last edited by Helderberg; 09-17-22 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 03:17 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I have SPD cleats and one of the advantages is that I can pedal (although poorly) without clipping in. It's helpful when starting uphill. I don't know if the same is true for Look/Time. What kind of cleats do you have?
Likes For fujidon:
Old 09-16-22, 03:38 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by fujidon
I have SPD cleats and one of the advantages is that I can pedal (although poorly) without clipping in. It's helpful when starting uphill. I don't know if the same is true for Look/Time. What kind of cleats do you have?
I went with SPD and I even have the two-sided, cleat - no cleat, and still managed to get myself crossed up. Thankfully I am fine and so is my bike.
Frank.
Old 09-16-22, 03:42 PM
CarrollB

Bikes: Trek Fx2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use SPD cleats so I can start off on the flat side or use the flat side with regular shoes when I plan to walk a lot once I reach my destination.
Likes For CarrollB:
Old 09-16-22, 03:46 PM
fujidon

There are a few hills that I've needed to stop on and start again. Some of them are steep enough that I can't start in my lowest gear. It may sound counter-intuitive, but a single pedal stroke with my stronger leg in the lowest gear is not enough to get me moving fast enough to get my other leg on the pedal to help. Of course, that means I need a very strong power stroke, but I do what's necessary.

For my bike, that's usually the small chainring and the 3rd cog, It depends on the hill and bike's gear ratios. After a while, I'm sure you'll come to really like SPD cleats.
Likes For fujidon:
Old 09-16-22, 04:32 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
When your off foot misses the clip in , the stress begins . Practice is the real answer. While learning though, adding a sticky piece of sandpaper to the bottom of your shoe can help. Shoe bottoms are slick and sometimes it's tough to pedal unless you're clicked in. You'll get through this.
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 09-16-22, 06:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
When you miss the clip-in, just keep the foot on the pedal and spin away. You can then clip in when you have some speed.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-16-22, 10:57 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Good for you (and us)!!! Keep it up! Younger folks can’t seem to deal.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...lame-suit.html

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 09-17-22, 08:07 AM
Helderberg

I do appreciate all of the posts both in favor and against clipless pedal systems. I found, after only 16 miles, that I need to adjust the way I think bout some parts of riding my bike. What I mean by that is that I have ridden with the old, I guess they were called clips style pedals that I call foot cages, because of my need to position my foot where I need it to be. I have issues with my feet that made the cage, both the metal and the synthetic toe cage only, painful after a few miles. What clipless has given me is consistent foot placement, a reminder not to twist my feet heal in, no pressure on the top of my feet, and I suppose I do feel a real secure feeling being connected to the bike. I found, from the short ride I have taken, that the advantages for me at this point outweigh the disadvantages and I need to use the nonclip-in side of the Shimano combo pedals when needed and then clip in when I want to. It is certainly a learning process but the feeling I got riding with these gave me emense pleasure to not have the pain or the need to be looking at my feet for proper placement and I believe I still have enough brain cells working to retrain myself from the old style cages to clipless. That said, I am not so stubborn as to not realize that if I can't adjust to these I would allow my pride to prevent me from changing back to my large studded pedals. I will see how it goes and hopefully make the decision that is best for me. Thanks again for all of the input. Ride on and be safe.
Old 09-17-22, 10:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
After I got SPD cleats I was good for the first couple years with no falls when stopped. Then I had a rash of them during a full season of cycling and in the most embarrassing places with the most spectators both cyclist and non-cyclists. I got over it and so far have been issue free for quite some time now.

The most helpful thing for me is to clip out one foot any time I come to a place I might have to stop and to position that foot so it won't accidentally clip back in until the chance of having to stop passes. Sometimes I'll flip the pedal upside down... though if you have double-sided pedals that won't work.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-17-22, 01:55 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
That said it is a very good feeling being so connected to the bike and I am truly sorry that I have not made the transition long ago. Be safe all.
well I certainly can’t offer any advice, I do echo the same sentiment, but honestly the “long ago” would have been a shorter time frame.

While I may not to have been able to start much sooner, since I’ve only been serious about cycling the past 1.5 years the concern of whether the initial investment would be beneficial to me wasn’t warranted. (But apparently it was to one me member lol)
Likes For Bogey Speedwell:
Old 09-17-22, 02:24 PM
fujidon

Originally Posted by Iride01
After I got SPD cleats I was good for the first couple years with no falls when stopped. Then I had a rash of them during a full season of cycling and in the most embarrassing places with the most spectators both cyclist and non-cyclists. I got over it and so far have been issue free for quite some time now.

The most helpful thing for me is to clip out one foot any time I come to a place I might have to stop and to position that foot so it won't accidentally clip back in until the chance of having to stop passes. Sometimes I'll flip the pedal upside down... though if you have double-sided pedals that won't work.
I do have double-sided SPD pedals and on those rare occasions when I don't want to clip in, I place my foot further forward on the pedal, I can still pedal, but poorly and I won't accidentally clip in.

I really only do this on very rough roads where walking would be the next alternative.

Of course, clipping in/out has become so second nature that I can't remember the last time I did this.
Likes For fujidon:
Old 09-17-22, 03:03 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Forgot to mention. Whenever I can anticipate stopping, I make sure to shift to the smaller front chainring and at least to a middle gear in the rear. Makes starting up and clipping in a bit easier, starting in too tough a gear only makes clipping in harder.
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 09-17-22, 10:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,576 Times in 2,894 Posts
Consider your fall the initiation and right of passage into the clipless club. Am glad to hear you enjoy the connectedness with bike and consistent foot placement. Be sure to get cleats with the maximum amount of ‘float’ to let your knees/feet find their natural angle. With my Shimano pedals, I use the yellow cleats. It may take a bit of adjusting on your shoe unless you were lucky on your first shot. If you start feeling any tweaks or pressure in your knees, immediately adjust your cleats.

Welcome back to the road.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-18-22, 07:15 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by fujidon
Most Look-type pedals have a rounded bottom side that is not conducive to unclipped pedaling. Some off-road models have a bottom side designed for unclipped pedaling, like these Look-made Campagnolo "Centaur QR" pedals:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
centaur-qr.jpg (132.8 KB, 167 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-18-22, 09:51 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I've been using the same pedals for over 20 years and had the occasional tip-over. What I tried was to loosen the spring tension on the pedal as much as I could while still feeling safely connected. So far, I haven't had any mishaps, although I shouldn't have said that out loud.
Likes For Pinelander:
Old 09-18-22, 10:20 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
The Shimano Saint DH pedal is useful for somebody getting used to clipless. Its dual sided SPD as well as having pins for using regular shoes or riding without clipping in.

PD-M821

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/saint-m820/PD-M821.html
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-18-22, 12:41 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Steve B.
The Shimano Saint DH pedal is useful for somebody getting used to clipless. Its dual sided SPD as well as having pins for using regular shoes or riding without clipping in.

PD-M821

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/saint-m820/PD-M821.html
I went with the Shimano PD-M324 which is a two-sided pedal, one clip-in one flat. I just needed to realize how I can use that feature to my best advantage. It took an embarrassing tip-over to drive the point home. Thankfully the only thing hurt was my pride.
Be safe.
Old 09-18-22, 01:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I went with the Shimano PD-M324 which is a two-sided pedal, one clip-in one flat. I just needed to realize how I can use that feature to my best advantage. It took an embarrassing tip-over to drive the point home. Thankfully the only thing hurt was my pride.
Be safe.
Do what I did several times when I had a big audience, get up quickly and act like Rocky Balboa when he got to the top steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art or what ever those steps went to in the Rocky film.

I have always used and like the PD-A520's which are single sided and very light. Still have a pair that is 12 years old that I swap out with a newer pair when I take them off to clean and re-lube the spindle bearings.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-20-22, 02:13 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
I'm a clipless skeptic. My pedal history is about 10 years of clips and straps with no cleats, followed by 25 years of clips and straps + cleats for racing and minus the cleats for touring/recreation, followed by 10 years of clipless (SPDs) followed by a switch back to clips and straps (road bikes) and flats (MTB) 5 years ago. The reason I switched back is that I could discern no advantage to using clipless as compared to using clips and straps (without cleats)/flats and some significant disadvantages (i.e. needing to wear clunky not-great-to-walk-in shoes and slow speed painful crashes on rock-strewn steep MTB trails due to the difficulty of unclipping quickly). The only downside to using clips and straps that I can discern is that your foot can get sore if you cinch down on the strap too tightly. The solution...don't do that. There have also been a number of studies published that show that there is no significant measurable efficiency advantage to clipless pedals. Many of those studies went in trying to show what type of advantage clipless had, only to come back with the opposite conclusion.
Likes For davester:
Old 09-20-22, 02:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Clipped into Look ski boots in the early '80s.
Started cycling as an adult in the early '80s.
When Look introduced cycling's clipless (?) pedal system, l clipped-in and dropped out of my toeclips with straps (no cleats). The primary motivation was the hills and mountains I had to ride starting in 1987.

Had I been a Floridian, clipless pedals and triple chainrings might seem weird.

Still riding the original Look design on about 15 road bikes, but still a few with clips&straps.

Inertia exists.
Old 09-20-22, 09:15 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by davester
I'm a clipless skeptic. My pedal history is about 10 years of clips and straps with no cleats, followed by 25 years of clips and straps + cleats for racing and minus the cleats for touring/recreation, followed by 10 years of clipless (SPDs) followed by a switch back to clips and straps (road bikes) and flats (MTB) 5 years ago. The reason I switched back is that I could discern no advantage to using clipless as compared to using clips and straps (without cleats)/flats and some significant disadvantages (i.e. needing to wear clunky not-great-to-walk-in shoes and slow speed painful crashes on rock-strewn steep MTB trails due to the difficulty of unclipping quickly). The only downside to using clips and straps that I can discern is that your foot can get sore if you cinch down on the strap too tightly. The solution...don't do that. There have also been a number of studies published that show that there is no significant measurable efficiency advantage to clipless pedals. Many of those studies went in trying to show what type of advantage clipless had, only to come back with the opposite conclusion.

I am glad you have found something that works for you. Keep riding and be safe.
Frank.
Old 09-20-22, 10:08 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
I went with SPD and I even have the two-sided, cleat - no cleat, and still managed to get myself crossed up. Thankfully I am fine and so is my bike.
Frank.
Fortunately, you and the bike are fine. It happens to everyone - stay safe and have fun!
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 09-20-22, 10:14 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
I am glad you have found something that works for you. Keep riding and be safe.
Frank.
I'm not sure what your point is and your tone seems condescending. I was simply sharing my experience and observations in the expectation that you might realize that not everyone in the biking community thinks that clipless pedals are the greatest, or even a good idea in many cases. I am definitely not alone in thinking along these lines, as evidenced by the major switchover to flat pedals by much of the MTB community and lack of clipless use in by bike tourists. Your point was?
Old 09-21-22, 04:37 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by davester
I'm not sure what your point is and your tone seems condescending. I was simply sharing my experience and observations in the expectation that you might realize that not everyone in the biking community thinks that clipless pedals are the greatest, or even a good idea in many cases. I am definitely not alone in thinking along these lines, as evidenced by the major switchover to flat pedals by much of the MTB community and lack of clipless use in by bike tourists. Your point was?
My point simply was and is that I am glad that you found a system that works for you. You've gone through a lot of trial and error to find what you are comfortable with. I have gone through years of riding to find out how well this works for me. I never said that you were wrong or said that the clipless system is the greatest. I don't understand your anger with me but I never meant to disparage your opinion. Be safe.
Frank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.