Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

The "Googly" eyes

Old 05-07-08, 09:26 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ball
I was flicking through the Trek catalogue today and noticed the 'Cruiser Classic Steel', which looks promising. I have a dubious left knee though, so the extra complexity of a mountain bike may be worth tolerating. Am I right in thinking that gears could help me reduce the strain on my knee?
Most road cranks run 52/39 or 52/39/29 while a mountain crank runs 42/32/22 ans with 26" wheels is geared a little lower to start with. So if you want very low gears, then that is one direction to go. However if you want to go longer distances (say 80km/50 miles and more), then you really need drop bars, to give you more, and more natural hand positions.

Now that leads to a question, the knee, if it only bothers you when riding, then try raising your saddle slightly, or better yet, get a professional bike fit done. Fit is the reason for 90% of cycling related pain complains, the other 10% are unplanned dismounts.

If the knee bothers you without riding, so it's not a riding related issue, then see your doctor, and get it checked out, if you haven't already. If your doctor can't help, maybe see a physical therapist, who specializes in sports injury recoveries, as they should know how to deal with getting your knee into riding shape. It's amazing what the medical field can do now, my grandfather was in a wheel chair due to arthritic knees, my mother had total knee replacement done a couple of years ago, and walks better now and faster then she did 20 years ago.
Likes For Wogster:
Old 05-07-08, 10:03 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I got lucky. The owner of my LBS was my brothers best friend growing up. When I came in he said, "Man, you have put on some pounds." "Now that we got that out of the way, let me show you the bike you should get for your distance in commuting. Don't worry about the weight." Its been great every since.
Likes For b_young:
Old 05-08-08, 12:37 PM
tdbmd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Badgermac,

I have a Felt F75 which is a somewhat similar setup in their road frame and really like it. I have been quite impressed with the Felt bikes so far. FWIW
Old 05-08-08, 03:30 PM
badgermac

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac Sport; 2010 Specialized Allez Steel Double; 2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport; 2013 Jamis Satellite Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I actually looked at a Felt Cyclocross bike before the "Pricetag vs. the Mrs." debate began in my mind. Settled for my FCR3 and my HardRock for this year. If I can drop the weight I'll take a serious look at that Felt again.
Old 05-11-08, 09:42 AM
ball
bicycle crusher

Bikes: Trek 7300

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
However if you want to go longer distances (say 80km/50 miles and more), then you really need drop bars, to give you more, and more natural hand positions.
It's a safe bet that I won't be riding that far for some time. I'm not sure my back would tolerate drop handlebars anyway.

Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Now that leads to a question, the knee, if it only bothers you when riding, then try raising your saddle slightly, or better yet, get a professional bike fit done. Fit is the reason for 90% of cycling related pain complains, the other 10% are unplanned dismounts.
I haven't ridden a bike for getting on towards twenty years. I injured the knee and subsequent joint problems over the next few years (first in the knees and shoulders, then in progressively smaller joints) lead to a diagnosis of rheumatism. That improved remarkably when I moved to Illinois, which is horribly cold in winter but is much drier than Britain, where I'm from. I'm hoping the knee will not prevent me from riding, but I'll be starting gradually and I'm definitely aiming for "low impact". The LBS will fit the bike to me.
Old 05-11-08, 09:50 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure my back would tolerate drop handlebars anyway.

It would if the bars were high enough!
Old 05-11-08, 12:06 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's a safe bet that I won't be riding that far for some time. I'm not sure my back would tolerate drop handlebars anyway.

I haven't ridden a bike for getting on towards twenty years. I injured the knee and subsequent joint problems over the next few years (first in the knees and shoulders, then in progressively smaller joints) lead to a diagnosis of rheumatism. That improved remarkably when I moved to Illinois, which is horribly cold in winter but is much drier than Britain, where I'm from. I'm hoping the knee will not prevent me from riding, but I'll be starting gradually and I'm definitely aiming for "low impact". The LBS will fit the bike to me.
With drop bars, there are two schools of thought, school number one, states that the only position for drop bars is the racer position (saddle about a foot higher then the top of the bars), the other is the touring position with the saddle even with or even slightly below the top of the bars, which makes back issues much less of a problem.

For the knees you want more touring gears then racing gears, with lots of low range gears, for hill climbing and starting off.....
Old 05-17-08, 06:49 PM
ball
bicycle crusher

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
On my most recent visit to my LBS (https://ternofthewheel.com/) I tried a couple of bikes and found the Trek 7300 the most comfortable, in part because of a more upright riding position. I was assisted by Terry, who was tremendously helpful. He didn't seem all that fussed about whether I bought a bike but he wanted to make sure that if I did, it would be the right bike for me. They built one for me and I rode it home from the bike shop this morning. For the first time in about twenty years, I'm a cyclist! I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when my wife (who will qualify as an Athena) said "I want a bike too!" This autumn I plan to buy our daughter a tricycle for her third birthday, to complete the set. :-)
Old 06-03-18, 10:48 PM
ball
bicycle crusher

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Has it really been ten years?! That Trek has held up very well and the gears have been gentle on my dodgy knee. I'm so glad that the people here inspired me to go back to the bike shop!

Last edited by ball; 06-03-18 at 11:02 PM.
Likes For ball:
Old 06-07-18, 12:22 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Has it really been ten years?! That Trek has held up very well and the gears have been gentle on my dodgy knee. I'm so glad that the people here inspired me to go back to the bike shop!
Wow! Ten years between posts. Hopefully you have been to busy riding the Trek 7300.

Welcome back and don't wait another 10 years to post again.
Old 06-11-20, 04:09 PM
ball
bicycle crusher

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is two years better? ;-)
Likes For ball:
Old 04-24-22, 10:11 PM
ball
bicycle crusher

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Do I have to wait until June? ;-)
Likes For ball:
Old 04-29-22, 07:00 AM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts
I am 305 and LBS didn't want to sell me a road bike offered to sell me a comfort I laugh and said goodbye. I already bought two fitness bikes from him. Was a great mechanic lousy customer service he just went out of business. I bought a used road bike. My next will be a touring bike. If I make my goals I am going push the button. Looking at Milwaukee bikes, built by Bens Cycle. Just a pipe dream for now.
Old 05-07-22, 09:08 AM
ball
bicycle crusher

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No wonder he went out of business, treating people like that. I'll have to look up the Milwaukee tourer.
Old 05-09-22, 01:06 PM
capzeyez

Bikes: 99 Univega Rover 308, 84 502 Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badgermac
That's what I get when I go in to the LBS and ask to look at road bikes with my svelt frame One guy directed to a Mongoose that had 29" slicks on it. I'm not embarassed by my weight - of course my goal is to get it off (thus the biking thing?), but come on!

I mean I"m probably looking more towards a touring bike, but when I came in looking at roadbikes and he directs me to this Mongoose I knew it was time to head out

Am I nuts for wanting a road bike? I've tried the mountain bike, I've got my cruiser bike for the family rides. I want something that is sturdy and I can grow in to but something like I used to ride when I was younger (and 1/3 the size )
Nope, not at all! I'm sorry to hear you had that experience.
Old 05-09-22, 03:15 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 744 Posts
No wonder he went out of business, treating people like that. I'll have to look up the Milwaukee tourer.

Still have the Trek 7300 ?

Curious after all these years
Old 07-03-22, 07:37 PM
badgermac

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac Sport; 2010 Specialized Allez Steel Double; 2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport; 2013 Jamis Satellite Sport

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now this is an old thread. Man I've been through some bikes since then!
Likes For badgermac:
Old 07-05-22, 08:19 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Now I get it. I finally understand why my husband came home from the LBS with a hybrid. That same store was happy to sell me a nice road bike. He is not a f an of the hybrid. He had a road bike in high school. He ended up picking up a used road bike on Craigslist. It had a lot of problems. Now, if he rides, he rides the hybrid - and I leave him in the dust. .
Old 08-21-22, 11:22 AM
ball
bicycle crusher

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Resisting n+1...

Originally Posted by DMC707
Still have the Trek 7300? Curious after all these years
Yes. I've seen a couple of tempting bikes since I bought it but I can't justify the expense of a second bike while my Trek is still on the road. I did get to buy an Electra Townie 7D EQ for my wife though, from the same LBS.
Old 09-20-22, 01:10 PM
Zombldy

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Years ago I was 150lbs and road a fixed gear 60 miles a day. So, when we went to look at bikes at 250lbs the guy was a jerk. Tried to talk me into a cross and I didn't want it. I wanted a road bike. I started talking and showing pictures of my fixie that I built myself and after naming parts he stepped back. He finally knew that I knew too much about bikes. I left, bought a road bike at a little local shop and then one day road back there to "look for tires" he was shocked. 🤣