Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lezyne Floor Pump Issue

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lezyne Floor Pump Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 08:19 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Lezyne Floor Pump Issue

As I pump up the tire, the gauge does not hold its reading. Almost immediately the pointer returns to zero. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have presta valves.
Old 04-26-21, 09:00 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
That's what happens when your tire is not holding air.

If your tire is filling up with air, then -- and I'm just going out on a limb here -- I would guess that the gauge is broken.
Old 04-26-21, 09:30 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
As I pump up the tire, the gauge does not hold its reading. Almost immediately the pointer returns to zero. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have presta valves.
I bought a Lezyne pump a few years ago and I tried and tried to like that pump but I just don't. I went and got a Serfas pump at the LBS for half the cost and it works much better IMO. Sorry, not exactly helpful for your situation.
Old 04-26-21, 09:31 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Old 04-26-21, 09:32 AM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I have a Lezyne floor pump - love it!

Do you have a screw on chuck or press on? Regardless, it is possible you are not getting a good seal onto the valve stem, or you have a slow leak in one of the connections between the valve stem and the body of the pump.

​​​​​​My screw on chuck has a pressure release button on its side. This pressure relief button allows me to unscrew the chuck more easily than it would be if there was 100 psi in the hose.

​​​​​​If you are able to put good pressure into your tire, you have a leak somewhere between the chuck and the pump body - that would include a leak at the gauge.
Old 04-26-21, 09:37 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by joeruge
I have a Lezyne floor pump - love it!

Do you have a screw on chuck or press on? Regardless, it is possible you are not getting a good seal onto the valve stem, or you have a slow leak in one of the connections between the valve stem and the body of the pump.

​​​​​​My screw on chuck has a pressure release button on its side. This pressure relief button allows me to unscrew the chuck more easily than it would be if there was 100 psi in the hose.

​​​​​​If you are able to put good pressure into your tire, you have a leak somewhere between the chuck and the pump body - that would include a leak at the gauge.
I have a screw on chuck. I have the older version without the pressure release button.
Old 04-26-21, 10:56 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I got a Lezyne steel drive floor pump with the screw on presta chuck, tried it, then returned for a refund. Turns out Blackburn honored the warranty on on older pump when I requested to purchase new rubber gaskets, they sent me a new Core Pro floor pump with a lever grabbing chuck that works like a charm. Love it.
Old 04-26-21, 12:36 PM
daniell

I think that the problem is in the chuck. When I tighten down it sometimes alleviates the problem. My question. How do I replace the o-ring in the chuck, and what size would I need?
Old 04-26-21, 02:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think that the problem is in the chuck. When I tighten down it sometimes alleviates the problem. My question. How do I replace the o-ring in the chuck, and what size would I need?
Wouldn't this all be easier if you just contacted Lezyne instead of going fishing here? They have a website, you know.

Floor pump parts: https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...ps-accessories
Customer support: https://support.lezyne.com/hc/en-us
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-26-21, 03:05 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Rolla
Wouldn't this all be easier if you just contacted Lezyne instead of going fishing here? They have a website, you know.

Old 04-26-21, 10:07 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I had the same symptom with my lezyne floor pump. They sell a replacement gauge kit, which I bought, but that didn't solve the problem. Next I bought their replacement 0-ring kit. But that didn't solve the problem either. So I then bought a replacement pump head. And that still didn't solve the problem. So now I have the most expensive floor pump ever that doesn't work.
And I now use some cheap ass Joe Blow pump that works perfectly.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-27-21, 02:25 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by Rolla

I did, I am waiting for them to reply.
Old 04-27-21, 09:01 AM
joeruge

I'm still curious to know if you are able to inflate the tire. Sorry if you've answered that previously. But it does sounds like if you attach the chuck properly, the pump and gauge work fine. Is that correct? If that's right, you found the source of your problem.

Its not unusual for an O-ring to wear out after hundreds of times pushing it on and off the stem.

The problem I see from looking at my Lezyne Flip-Chuck, I can't see an easy way to remove the O-ring on the Presta side of the chuck. (My chuck is reversible.). If you have the same kind of chuck, you may have to use something like a dental pick or sewing needle to pull out the worn O-ring.

If it is gonna take a while for you to hear back from Lezyne, or its going to cost a ridiculous amount of money for a 45 cent O-ring, you could take the O-ring to your local Ace Hardware store (not a Home Depot type store) and match it up. O-rings come in standard industry sizes and it is pretty rare for a company to have a special mold made for a proprietary O-ring size.

This may sound a bit unsanitary, but whenever I put a pump chuck on a valve stem, I always lubricate the stem first with a handy lubricant I always have with me - spit.
​​​ This helps keep the O-ring from wearing out when it's pushed past the screw threads on the valve stem. But it will eventually wear out. Thanks to you, I now know how to change it!

My guess is that Lezyne will come through for you and send you the O-rings you need gratis.
Old 04-27-21, 09:39 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by joeruge
I'm still curious to know if you are able to inflate the tire. Sorry if you've answered that previously. But it does sounds like if you attach the chuck properly, the pump and gauge work fine. Is that correct? If that's right, you found the source of your problem.

Its not unusual for an O-ring to wear out after hundreds of times pushing it on and off the stem.

The problem I see from looking at my Lezyne Flip-Chuck, I can't see an easy way to remove the O-ring on the Presta side of the chuck. (My chuck is reversible.). If you have the same kind of chuck, you may have to use something like a dental pick or sewing needle to pull out the worn O-ring.

If it is gonna take a while for you to hear back from Lezyne, or its going to cost a ridiculous amount of money for a 45 cent O-ring, you could take the O-ring to your local Ace Hardware store (not a Home Depot type store) and match it up. O-rings come in standard industry sizes and it is pretty rare for a company to have a special mold made for a proprietary O-ring size.

This may sound a bit unsanitary, but whenever I put a pump chuck on a valve stem, I always lubricate the stem first with a handy lubricant I always have with me - spit.
​​​ This helps keep the O-ring from wearing out when it's pushed past the screw threads on the valve stem. But it will eventually wear out. Thanks to you, I now know how to change it!

My guess is that Lezyne will come through for you and send you the O-rings you need gratis.

I do not know how to replace the o-ring. Also what size is required.
Old 04-27-21, 10:44 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 87 Posts
I am having difficulty with my new Lezyne pump. Screw on chuck to Presta valves.

Pump is almost brand new.

Pressure makes it difficult to pump. Gauge registers dramatically high with any pump action and no air is actually going into tire. Seems to work better on tires that are low or almost empty.

Any help would be appreciated. Have sent a message to Lezyne tech support provided above. May take a while to get a response.

Thanks
Old 04-27-21, 11:01 AM
joeruge

WaveyGravey, it sound like you need to 'burp' your presta valve. The tiny rubber seal inside the valve stem often gets 'seated,' gets sort of stuck in place. Before you put the chuck on, press the valve in and let some air out of the tire.

Oh...and remember to unscrew the little brass nut on the valve first, too. These are the two most common issues that cause the problem you describe. One or the other of these happen to me about once a week. I say, ' what the heck...? Oh, I forgot to...'
Likes For joeruge:
Old 04-27-21, 11:17 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I recently had an opportunity to use my Lezyne pump. It is an older model (no gauge) and slimmer (I guess not the newer high volume option). It was, of course, the rear tire on my new road bike with disc brakes and a through axle. A staple with both arms in the tire - well, at least, it was clearly visible. Getting the tire off was no fun but getting it back on was hell.

Back to the pump: It took quite a bit of playing to get it screwed on the presta valve and a lot of effort to inflate the tube/tire. Lots of pumping just to see some inflation and then grunting force to get the tire up to very firm - changing my body position often to get better leverage/angle. The only gauge I used was fingers squeezing the tire to approximate the inflation I get at home with a floor pump where I know the pressure is 80-85. Repair on the road is just not that easy.

Somewhat off-topic. I had with me a useless tire tool but one I've liked. It is expandable and and one end clips to the quick release axle and the other end slips into the bead and you rotate it around the tire while the other part rotates around the quick release and it peels off the tire, like using a few tire irons. Anybody know of one that might work similarly with a through-axle wheel?
Old 04-27-21, 11:46 AM
joeruge

Daniell, yeah. I hear ya. During this discussion I looked inside my own reversible chuck and can see the O-ring in there starting to get chewed up, too. I've been using this pump for over 8 years, so that's not too surprising. But since this chuck is holding air fine, I'm not gonna mess with it still it starts giving me trouble.

If you've given up trying to use this chuck as is (though it sounded as if you CAN get to seal fine if you fiddle with it), you have nothing to lose by picking the O-rings out and taking them to your local Ace Store. No guarantee they will have it, but if that's your only choice other than waiting for Leyzne, it worth a shot.

Unless you get the O-ring from Leyzne (a sure path, though it might take a while), you are not going to know what size to get unless you get the O-ring out of the chuck. O-rings are designated by dash numbers. It's probably something like a dash 008, or something similarly tiny.

If you find one, don't use the needle to put it in. Maybe with something like a Q-tip with the fuzzy end cut off you'd be able to push it in and seat it in its groove. Don't forget lubricate it. A tiny bit of silicone lubricant will work, but don't use any petroleum product. Most people don't have silicone lubricant, so maybe water, or good 'ole spit will work in a pinch.
Old 04-27-21, 02:39 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I can't help you with your Lezyne pump but when it finally gives up the ghost, buy a Silca floor pump. The base model is all you'll need. It will be the last pump you'll ever have to buy.
Old 04-28-21, 11:48 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
No need to buy the worlds most expensive pump, geez.

I have a friend whos had his Lezyne Classic Drive for years and it works just fine. Another sturdy built option is the Specialized Air tool Pro. Having said all of that, Lezyne carries spare parts to fully restore your pump.
Old 04-29-21, 05:58 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 87 Posts
Have been in touch with Tech Support at Lezyne. They are sending me some parts to remedy the situation. But the pump is brand new.

Also, will try burping the valve initially when pumping tires. That may work.

If I buy another pump, probably would take the Silca recommendation or probably the Specialized.

With the Lezyne thought I was buying the last pump I would ever need. But seems to big of a pain to use.

Thanks!!
Old 04-29-21, 05:59 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I have a Lezyne steel pump. The gauge reads 20 psi lower than my other floor pumps and hand held gauge. I'd never buy another, overpriced and you would think you would get a decent gauge on the pump.
If you know it’s always 20 psi low, what’s the problem?
Old 04-29-21, 10:07 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Have been in touch with Tech Support at Lezyne. They are sending me some parts to remedy the situation. But the pump is brand new.

Also, will try burping the valve initially when pumping tires. That may work.

If I buy another pump, probably would take the Silca recommendation or probably the Specialized.

With the Lezyne thought I was buying the last pump I would ever need. But seems to big of a pain to use.

Thanks!!
I bought a Birzman MAHA Apologee II, or some such name because it got very high reviews, anyway I too thought it would be the last pump I would ever buy, nope, the darn thread on air chuck is junk. I had a problem with it shortly after I got it where it would refuse to put air into a Schrader valve, and it would unscrew the screw in ring on the chuck whenever I would try pumping a Presta, so they sent me a new updated chuck under warranty, that one developed the same problem, so they sent me another saying the new one was improved, though I couldn't see anything that would tell me it was updated yup it was improved, it lasted 2 years instead of 5 months! I'm hoping to keep limping it along for another year. Then I noticed today that Birzman came out with yet another air chuck, I might try ordering the newer air chuck and see how well it works but according to a video I watched about the new chuck it seems to be no different than the one I got on how it operates, I don't know.
Old 04-29-21, 12:36 PM
Koyote

There is no problem as I have mentioned several times, I know what each one of my pumps measures after gauging them with the hand held gauge. I have a Specialized Air Tool, Blackburn, and a Lezyne floor pump. The lezyne being the most expensive and the most out of tolerance pump as far as PSI. Doesn't work any better than the others so being more expensive and the least accurate, I'd never buy another seeing the others are better for less money.
How do you know the Lezyne is not the correct one? Maybe all the others are inaccurate.
Old 04-29-21, 06:40 PM
rekmeyata

There is no problem as I have mentioned several times, I know what each one of my pumps measures after gauging them with the hand held gauge. I have a Specialized Air Tool, Blackburn, and a Lezyne floor pump. The lezyne being the most expensive and the most out of tolerance pump as far as PSI. Doesn't work any better than the others so being more expensive and the least accurate, I'd never buy another seeing the others are better for less money.
What I can't figure out is why the hell do they no longer make those gauges so that a person can adjust it to make it accurate? I had a 50 year old Silca that could that, but none, not even the new Silca can be adjusted anymore. In fact from what I remember all floor pumps back then you could adjust the gauge accuracy by turning a screw either on the underside of the gauge or by twisting off the top glass part and the screw was right there next to the needle. This screw would adjust the spring and had marks of + and - so you knew which way to turn it. It is a spring, those things can change PSI readout from atmospheric changes to wear over time just as your bathroom scale will do. I did google check to see if any one made a gauge that can do that or if there were any way you can adjust one these days, nothing, I got nothing. We live in a throw away world, of course that is better for the environment and natural resources, so you either have to buy a new pump if the gauge goes bad or if that particular company makes a replacement gauge, or say screw it and use a separate handheld gauge.
Likes For rekmeyata:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.