Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Favorite Places To "Snowbird" With Your Trike?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 03-10-22, 04:03 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

Living in the northeast, riding my trike during winter is far from ideal. So, while it was snowing again this morning, the thought entered my mind about warmer climate areas to spend some of the winter months in.

Are there any particular areas in the southeast US that bikers/trikers flock to during the winter months? Perhaps somewhere with a nice mix of (paved) bike trails and/or roads with wide shoulders (ideally lightly trafficked) and/or bike lanes? If you were to spend a few months of winter "snowbirding" down south with your bike/trike, where would you go?

Thanks,
Bert
Old 03-22-22, 05:39 AM
soloman

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I live in the Tampa area, but if I were snowbirding, I'd pick Inverness, Fl. It has the Withlacoochee Trail (40+ miles) running through and isn't a long drive to the Suncoast Trail (40+ miles) and the Van Fleet Trail (29+ miles). There are several other trails nearby. See traillink.com for detais
Old 03-25-22, 09:31 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
TUCSON AZ. has a lot of both paved and hard packed dirt trails. That's were we would winter if we had the funds!🌞👍😁🚲

Old 03-30-22, 09:02 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
We have a lot of Snowbirds riding road bikes and trikes in Highlands County, which is in Central Florida, 85 miles south of Orlando. The 3 cities there, Avon Park, Sebring and Lake Placid, all have great paved roads for riding without much traffic once you get out of the city. It’s mostly farm country, orange groves and cattle ranches, lots of long, straight, flat roads.

There are a couple bike clubs that meet for group rides 5 days a week in Sebring and in Lake Placid. There’s also a nice State Park with a paved bike trail, and a dirt Jeep trail in the woods. It’s nice and shady in the park (called Highlands Hammock) so it stays cool even when the sunshine is heating up into the 80’s.

Check it out on Google Maps.
Old 04-04-22, 07:02 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
TUCSON AZ. has a lot of both paved and hard packed dirt trails.
And sure enough, there is a huge trike population here in Tucson! I'll see more tadpole 'bents in a one hour ride in Tucson than I would in an entire summer cycling in the New York tri-state area.
Old 05-17-22, 08:26 AM
jobtraklite

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dunedin, Fl

I snowbird at Dunedin, FL. The 40+ mile Pinellas Trail from downtown St. Petersburg to somewhere north of Tarpon Springs runs right through downtown. The trail seems to attract trikes and to generate bike riders all over town.

Like a lot of towns in central Florida (and everywhere), the original downtown is very attractive; but the rest is typical sprawl. However, there are lot of bike lanes and sidewalks. In the case of Dunedin, it is almost surrounded by Clearwater, which is also fairly bike friendly.