Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Oregon Highway 26 from Government Camp to Madras

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 08:35 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts

How bad is it? I'm thinking I would be doing this early in the day.
Old 06-13-22, 05:50 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
It's been an extremely long time since I've been on that section of highway. By my recollection it's doable, but it won't be pleasant in some places. Highway shoulders are narrowish at times and it gets pretty hot and dry as you approach Madras. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge than myself will chime in with some more current knowledge. The shoulders could be wider since I was last there.
Old 06-16-22, 07:29 PM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I have not bicycled that rode but I think I have driven it at least 50 times.

I would expect that the shoulders should be pretty good the whole way since it is a heavily traveled hi-way and one of the primary North-South corridors in the Pacific Northwest.

The scenery can be pretty good especially once you have passed Blue Box pass. My favorite section is the switch backs as you drop into Warm Springs from the North. The wind can be bad especially north of Warm Springs. 20 mph may be typical in the afternoon as the sun gets on the West side of the Cascades But probably calm in the middle of the day..

As mentioned above it can get very hot but I assume you wouldn't' choose to do it in 90+ degree weather.

I don't think there are any services between Blue Box and Warm Springs. If you bring a filter you can probably find streams the first 40 miles. But not the last section north of Warm Springs.

Traffic will probably be heavy with lots of semi trucks and high end SUVs driving 90mph between Bend and Portland.
Likes For kevmcd:
Old 06-16-22, 08:38 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Even if survivable, it wouldn't be pleasant. I'm not even sure it would be allowed. LEO don't always know what is legal and act on their instincts. I'm pretty sure if I was a LEO and saw someone on the shoulder of 26 being passed by 70mph traffic I'd pull them over for a mental health evaluation.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 06-17-22, 01:00 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I wouldn't do it. Even if survivable, it wouldn't be pleasant. I'm not even sure it would be allowed.
It is perfectly legal to ride a bike on US 26 from Government Camp to Madras.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
LEO don't always know what is legal and act on their instincts. I'm pretty sure if I was a LEO and saw someone on the shoulder of 26 being passed by 70mph traffic I'd pull them over for a mental health evaluation.
While it is true that police don't always know what's legal (and I have heard about one instance where a cop pulled over a cyclist for riding on a road that was perfectly legal to do so), are there examples (especially in Oregon, where this ride would take place) of cops pulling over cyclists to do "mental health evaluations"?
Old 09-20-22, 08:45 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I've done it by car a couple of times, and what always went through my head was "I would never want to risk this on a bike." It would be great if it was closed to traffic.