Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Torpado Paint Brush On Paint Job...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Torpado Paint Brush On Paint Job...

Old 01-26-21, 01:47 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
did you thin your Rustoleum?

I attempted a Rustoleum brush on project in the spring: primer then matte black on a mid-80's Miyata one thousand.
I had read that a bit of thinning would allow the paint to level out so that brush strokes wouldn't be visible. The primer seemed to go on fine on bare steel - looked smooth enough for me.
But the black (which I think I added some paint thinner to) was very difficult. I got both brush strokes and drips. When I would sand out the drips I'd get down to white primer. Back and forth like that - very frustrating.
If I touched a lug - or even gave it a harsh look - the primer would pop out at the edges.

Eventually I gave up, sanded it mostly smooth and gave it a final coat of black matte spray paint. The lugs are not sharp, so I'd like to get a pro wet paint job at some point. But it's not in the budget. Probably I'll keep riding it for a couple year. Then re-strip and rattle can it.

Last question: Have you tried Spray Bike? Someone just posted a nicely done (I think) StumpJumper where they used SprayBike. Here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...resto-mod.html

cheers.
Old 01-26-21, 02:17 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
mrv ...

I did not thin the paint, The manufacturer suggests against it. Brush strokes can become an issue but careful application works wonders. Yes, there is a brush stroke, or two, which can be rubbed out, but those blemishes are few, far between and in inconspicuous spots. The only real bummer is a poorly placed decal (will order another one to fix the boo boo...

Spray Bike? I did look into the product but could see no real advantage for my use and purpose. I do not have a lot of cash to put into my hobby, anymore, so I must be frugal, hence the Rustoleum and a well used paint brush...

Need a small item, or two, to complete the Torpado (brake pads, brake cable casing, tires will be here end of March but I plan to take pictures with the old tires still fitted. I want to get some shots of a grey and red bike against a pristine snow white back ground (easy to find in Canada right now).

Anyway, that's it for the brushed on paint job. A fun project to say the least.
Old 01-27-21, 09:24 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
mrv ...

I did not thin the paint, The manufacturer suggests against it. Brush strokes can become an issue but careful application works wonders. Yes, there is a brush stroke, or two, which can be rubbed out, but those blemishes are few, far between and in inconspicuous spots. The only real bummer is a poorly placed decal (will order another one to fix the boo boo...

Spray Bike? I did look into the product but could see no real advantage for my use and purpose. I do not have a lot of cash to put into my hobby, anymore, so I must be frugal, hence the Rustoleum and a well used paint brush...

Need a small item, or two, to complete the Torpado (brake pads, brake cable casing, tires will be here end of March but I plan to take pictures with the old tires still fitted. I want to get some shots of a grey and red bike against a pristine snow white back ground (easy to find in Canada right now).

Anyway, that's it for the brushed on paint job. A fun project to say the least.
randyjawa, I recently discovered a way to quickly paint bike frame tubes (but, not the lugs). Using this little foam "mini - roller" the paint goes on very smooth and leaves no brushstrokes, drips or, sags. (I use a little brush to coat the lugs). After each coating I wrap the roller in aluminum foil & put it into the refrigerator. Then, re-use roller the next day. After about three coats discard the roller. (No need to clean between uses). Be good. Have fun.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WHIZZ-2-in-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-28-21, 08:01 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts

I use these little disposable “sponge-on-a-stick” brushes. You don’t really brush the paint on to metal. You dab it on and this eliminates brush strokes for me which I still get even with a good brush. Obviously my technique sucks and did not get much better with practice, so these spongy things were a life-saver. The sponge creates little tiny air bubbles in the wet paint which rapidly collapse into a smooth surface.

The most convenient size for bike painting is the one between these two but I’ve used up all I had.

I read somewhere that some aircraft during the Second World War were sponge-painted and modellers use closed-cell foam bits to recreate the finish. (These brushes are not closed-cell — they are just cheap open-cell plastic foam but they work for me.). A bit tedious because you dab over the whole surface. If I cheat and try to stroke I get brush marks which I have go back over immediately with dabbing.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 01-28-21, 12:00 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Well, I have three and a half cans of Rustoleum to spare (bought yellow and off white, intending to reproduce original Torpado livery), so I am going to give the little roller and sponge things a try on something to try on. Thanks for the heads up on this. Perhaps I can improve my results. Anyway, went to the city today to get some brake cable casing. Time to finish assembling the Torpado.
Old 01-29-21, 05:01 PM
randyjawa 

Though don't have new tires and a new chain, the bike is basically done. The tires and chain will be here at the end of March, which is not much of a problem. Not many vintage road bikes on the road, where I live, these days. Anyway, I wanted to see how the brushed on paint job looked in the sunlight...
Old 01-29-21, 05:21 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Though don't have new tires and a new chain, the bike is basically done. The tires and chain will be here at the end of March, which is not much of a problem. Not many vintage road bikes on the road, where I live, these days. Anyway, I wanted to see how the brushed on paint job looked in the sunlight...
that bike looks great. The finish is nice for brush paint. When I lived on a sailboat I learned a lot about paint and varnish work. I was not as good with a brush as the experts so I went to the high quality foam brushes from the chandlery, not the cheap hardware store type. Then just a few drops of Penetrol to help the paint lay down after application. If done right with a good working temperature it can look smooth. You certainly have a good technique for it to come out that nice.
Old 01-30-21, 01:05 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Funny that you say that Kabuki12 , I had a wooden Lighting sailboat and also learned to get good at brush painting and varnishing. I really liked Interlux varnish and Woolsey paint. I have always thought that I would brush paint a car to prove that it could look good. Others on the internet have beat me to it and I don't have a car (or truck) that is worthy of a brush paint job.

randyjawa takes this skilled brush painting to bicycle frames that look absolutely great.

Great attention to detail. That Torpedo looks perfect.

One of my hacks that I came up with back when I was brush painting more often was to attach my paint can opener on a string to my brush comb so that at the end when I'm cleaning up, I always know where the brush comb is.
Old 01-30-21, 04:46 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
brushes

I am a furniture maker and learned that you can get a perfect high gloss finish with a brush I find it easy.........if you get the paint consistency right so it dosent sag or drip. fine sand between coats.....it will come out like a mirror........Raleigh dipped their roadster frames in a giant tub of paint and the paint consistency made every one perfect.....watch relative humidity it is important......pick a low humidity day.....not in the sun
Old 02-14-21, 11:24 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Really good!!
Old 02-14-21, 12:57 PM
randyjawa 

Pretty sure that you have seen enough pictures of the old Torpado. Except for road test/tuning, the bike is now done. And, at minus 27 degrees, with a wind chill it feels like minus 36 degrees. No way in Hades that I intend to go riding in this weather...
Old 04-22-21, 10:02 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 3,101 Times in 1,954 Posts
That never ceases to amaze me. You have a talent and an eye for color combos!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 04-22-21, 01:23 PM
randyjawa 

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
That never ceases to amaze me. You have a talent and an eye for color combos!
Thank you for the compliment. I, too, happen to like the way it turned out.

Just about time to test ride the Torpado. Figured I would do so a week ago but Mother Natures played an end of the winter joke and dumped a ton of snow on Thunder Bay, coupled with sub-zero temperatures on Thunder Bay and surrounding area. In fact, I spent today thawing out the water pump, water lines and taps at the lake cottage. Thank goodness the hot water tank did not freeze solid. I am, at home now and baffed!

And, guess what, I just got another Torpado. Like I need another Torpado. Gonna harvest this one for the component group and then find a new home for the frame, fork head set and bottom bracket. The quick release paint and art has, pretty much, released but the frame, chrome and all is in good shape. Seat post and stem are both moving freely...
Old 04-22-21, 01:44 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 3,101 Times in 1,954 Posts
How the heck do you find all of these...!!!??!!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 04-22-21, 02:08 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Anyway, hope someone found how to paint an old Torpado with a brush interesting and entertaining.
Very interesting, I never thought a brushed on finishing could be so good. In fact, after reading this thread I tried it on a fork and it didn't come out so bad, so I'll try it more seriously on a frame. Thanks Randy!
Old 04-23-21, 01:06 AM
randyjawa 

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
How the heck do you find all of these...!!!??!!
I used to work at it but lately I just click and hope. Also, I go to the dumps in my area. Have a look at what I found at the dump last year. Time to start a randyjawa found at the dump for this year.
Old 06-10-21, 12:24 AM
tcpasley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Well, I have three and a half cans of Rustoleum to spare (bought yellow and off white, intending to reproduce original Torpado livery), so I am going to give the little roller and sponge things a try on something to try on. Thanks for the heads up on this. Perhaps I can improve my results. Anyway, went to the city today to get some brake cable casing. Time to finish assembling the Torpado.
Thanks for the excellent thread. The colors look great, even though I was really pulling for the Gloss Sunburst Yellow for the Torpado. I have a Trek Elance 300 I would like to repaint yellow, something like this 1952 Pegaso Z-102 Cupola

=> https://www.louwmanmuseum.nl/en/car/...-z-102-cupula/.

Just yesterday I saw the Gloss Sunburst Yellow at Home Depot and thought to myself "I need to check out Randy Jawa's brush painting projects". I also have a Centurion Iron Man Master frame, which someone amateurly rattle-canned black over the original yellow and white, that would be a candidate for a brush job restoration.

Thanks again for the inspiration, and please do let us know if you find a project frame for the yellow and white.
Old 06-10-21, 02:46 AM
randyjawa 

tcpasley ... I am glad that I could offer a bit of inspiration. I hope you give brush paint a try and a decent chance. The results can be pretty impressive (my opinion, of course).

At the moment, I have two possible projects...

The Quintanna Roo that just might work in yellow with off white down tube and seat tube panels, coupled with black art...

Or, of greater interest, this late sixties Carlton Corsair that was rebranded (by Raleigh) as a Raleigh for sale in the North American market way back then. If I do this one, yellow is out as I intend to repeat the original color scheme...

If, and that is a big if, meaning probably for sure, my intent is to finally try out the Campagnolo Gran Tourismo rear derailleur. I am old now and just cannot push the racing gears all that well anymore...
Old 06-10-21, 10:00 PM
tcpasley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Same here regarding racing gearing - 50x12 is almost too much for me without a tailwind.

I'm curious of you tested the Gloss Sunburst Yellow to see how it looks. I'm looking for more of a gold yellow than a canary or lemon yellow. I like the tint shown on the paint can label, but would like to know if it has that hint of gold when applied and dried.
Old 06-14-21, 03:43 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
This is my Centurion Accordo that I put three coats of flat black primer with a little foam roller brush. Then, I put two coats of blue metallic spray paint on it. The flat black was Rustoleum and, the blue metallic was a can of dupli-color from the auto parts store with "Blue Metallic Honda" written on it. It's got no decals on it except for the Tange frame stickers.