Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cinelli has sold, again

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cinelli has sold, again

Old 07-11-21, 08:58 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,765 Times in 2,270 Posts
@Andy_K, it's time to start monetizing the Gugificazione! brand.

Start sending some marketing collateral to this Texas guy, perhaps we can both retire early...
Old 07-11-21, 09:50 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

Start sending some marketing collateral to this Texas guy, perhaps we can both retire early...
We need Gugificazione T-shirts featuring fork blades being re-raked.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-11-21, 04:47 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts

I’m thinking a line of artisinally crafted dairy bells.
Old 07-11-21, 07:10 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I’m thinking a line of artisinally crafted dairy bells.
Sorry, I’ve already sold all threads containing the word Gugificazione! as an NFT. Bidders seemed to be concentrated in Madera, CA.
Old 07-11-21, 07:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by nlerner
Sorry, I’ve already sold all threads containing the word Gugificazione! as an NFT. Bidders seemed to be concentrated in Madera, CA.
NFTs aren't ownership of the thread, only ownership of the NFT of the thread.

You can NFT the sales page for the shirt if you want.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-11-21, 11:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,765 Times in 2,270 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
NFTs aren't ownership of the thread, only ownership of the NFT of the thread.

You can NFT the sales page for the shirt if you want.

-Kurt
Somewhere in Madera, California a tear is shed.
Old 07-12-21, 06:18 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Somewhere in Madera, California a tear is shed.
Excuse me while I make an NFT for that tear.

-Kurt

P.S.: And one for Madera, California's Twitter feed URL as well, if someone hasn't already.

Old 07-12-21, 07:33 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
First time, 1947 from Arrigo & Giotto to Cino.
Second time, 1978 from Cino to Antonio.
Now, from Antonio to Texas dude.
Ok, I slept through the second one!
Old 07-12-21, 07:34 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

It's a race between Cinelli and Colnago to see who can be the first Ferrari copycat to offer branded aftershave and soap.

-Kurt
And fountain pens!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 07-12-21, 07:42 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by nlerner
I think it’s just their bank accounts that are located in Delaware along with a PO Box.
I think the lawyers live in the same industrial parks as the money does.
Old 07-12-21, 08:51 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
"I recognized in Victor Luis the perfect understanding of my vision of merging cycling with art, culture, design, technology and competition, combined with an undisputed and proven managerial and organizational ability." That's the big highlighted quote in the middle of the page.

Stuff like this makes the 63 year old cynical version of me laugh. As if what the buyer thinks of the seller's "vision" matters one little bit. And as if the seller has anything to do about what the buyer's ulitmate "vision" turns out to be. The Cinelli name on WalMart bicycle-shaped objects? Flying C logos on edible underwear? A string of "Cino's Cheap Eats"? All possible, albeit rather unlikely. The point is that the seller has f*** all to say about it once the money changes hands and the contracts are signed regardless of the lipstick-on-a-pig PR twaddle.
And this rubs you the wrong way, inciting cynical laughter, why, exactly? The seller is relieved to be free of the burden of running a no-longer-successful company. He gets some money in his pocket instead of watching his own “vision” of his firm bleed money (“gradually then suddenly” as the saying goes) until his capital is exhausted. It costs nothing to say nice things about the guy you sold to, so why not? — it was probably costed into the goodwill anyway.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 07-12-21, 09:08 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Road Fan
And fountain pens!
Don't forget the desk clocks and keyrings.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I think the lawyers live in the same industrial parks as the money does.
"This system is feasible because product-liability lawyers are spore-based organisms who can survive for years without air." - Dave Barry

-Kurt

Old 07-12-21, 09:24 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
And this rubs you the wrong way, inciting cynical laughter, why, exactly? The seller is relieved to be free of the burden of running a no-longer-successful company. He gets some money in his pocket instead of watching his own “vision” of his firm bleed money (“gradually then suddenly” as the saying goes) until his capital is exhausted. It costs nothing to say nice things about the guy you sold to, so why not? — it was probably costed into the goodwill anyway.
Rub me the wrong way? Not really. Cynical laughter (chuckle, really)? Yes, because of the perceived need to obfuscate the reasons for the deal and the over-the-top BS used to do the obfuscating. (Another possible scenario for the sale, by the way: The next generation of Colombos is not interested in running the business, so the current powers that be decided to cash out.) Whatever the reason for the deal is, the parties' apparent need for puffery that is so obvious and so cheesy makes it the object of my cynical expressions of warped mirth.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that neither the seller nor the buyer give a poop what I think, and I'm okay with that.
Old 07-12-21, 09:35 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Rub me the wrong way? Not really. Cynical laughter (chuckle, really)? Yes, because of the perceived need to obfuscate the reasons for the deal and the over-the-top BS used to do the obfuscating. (Another possible scenario for the sale, by the way: The next generation of Colombos is not interested in running the business, so the current powers that be decided to cash out.) Whatever the reason for the deal is, the parties' apparent need for puffery that is so obvious and so cheesy makes it the object of my cynical expressions of warped mirth.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that neither the seller nor the buyer give a poop what I think, and I'm okay with that.
Yeah, you already have your Cinelli bikes. Little money from you, unless they do some amazing reissue wool kit.
How about this for a press release-

"I have guided the brand since 1983, I was young, I wish to reap some reward for all this effort.
I see So many high value Italian and French luxury brands change hands with terrific success, I want my Ferrari now. I am tired of driving a Fiat.
The buyer will make money, I have excluded them from making Cinelli coasters.
Thanks for all your euros over the years. The future will be profitable.
I will take Valentino out to lunch, we will talk"
Old 07-12-21, 09:48 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Yeah, you already have your Cinelli bikes. Little money from you, unless they do some amazing reissue wool kit.

"I have guided the brand since 1983, I was young, I wish to reap some reward for all this effort.
I see So many high value Italian and French luxury brands change hands with terrific success, I want my Ferrari now. I am tired of driving a Fiat.
Love the new press release. It would be refreshing to see them actually release this.

And speaking of reissue wool kit, here is the Christmas present I got for myself with the wife's blessing. Available now at wingedstore.com in the "Cino Collection" section.

Old 07-12-21, 10:30 AM
tendency 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Interesting. It looks like the new owner has extensive background with high-end, luxury brands. I'm guessing the brand will continue in that direction, although it already kinda was trying to.

No mention on the bike line. I've had 2 modern, Taiwan-welded Cinellis that I've sold in the last 5yrs and both went way quicker than I expected. A Tipo Pista for $350 (paid $300 on Amazon) and a Hobootleg for $600 (bought as $199 frameset, also from the big A)
What is the world coming to when A) you can buy a Cinelli frame for a few hundred $$ and B) they are making bikes in Taiwan. Sad. Hopefully new ownership 86s these low end monstrosities.
Old 07-12-21, 11:40 AM
Road Fan

Don't forget the desk clocks and keyrings.

"This system is feasible because product-liability lawyers are spore-based organisms who can survive for years without air." - Dave Barry

-Kurt
That point came to mind because of my recent experience trying to get a consulting contract. The client company, an automotive Tier 1 supplier to all the vehicle manufacturers of heavy truck-tractors, is incorporated in Delaware though the program management, engineering, and development functions are all HQ in Michigan.

"Why does that matter to me?" I innocently cried? Came the response, "If they want to sue you they will file and probably litigate it in Delaware, and you'll have to spend a lot of time there!"

Since my bid to consult failed because of their litigation policies, I now see this as part of an important point.
Old 07-12-21, 01:12 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Cinelli did not sell, it was wholly owned by Columbus, which is now Gruppo SPA, a division Of Gruppo Srl, which is the parent company. Controlling interest in the parent company sold.

This article explains it a bit more clearly, and in English. It may be a good thing.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/anno...s#.YObM-2kpBPw
Old 07-12-21, 01:22 PM
e-RICHIE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
As a customer, a reseller of many of the materials these brands manufacture (many to my specs), and someone who assembles bicycles with components from Cinelli and Columbus, I'm very happy with this news story as well as grateful that the Columbo family kept this torch lit for so many decades. When the middle 1970s sale of Cinelli to Signor Columbo happened, very little changed internally. The real differences have come from the evolution within the industry, something very few labels are immune to. Gruppo has always been a modern and forward thinking company. Now it has a new majority owner from North America. I can't see a downside.
Old 07-12-21, 01:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
What is the world coming to when A) you can buy a Cinelli frame for a few hundred $$ and B) they are making bikes in Taiwan. Sad. Hopefully new ownership 86s these low end monstrosities.
The hobootleg models were pretty versatile. Are you even aware if them? Screaming value for a year or so online.
Monstrosity isn't a word I would choose, even if given 100 words.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-12-21, 01:48 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
As a customer, a reseller of many of the materials these brands manufacture (many to my specs), and someone who assembles bicycles with components from Cinelli and Columbus, I'm very happy with this news story as well as grateful that the Columbo family kept this torch lit for so many decades. When the middle 1970s sale of Cinelli to Signor Columbo happened, very little changed internally. The real differences have come from the evolution within the industry, something very few labels are immune to. Gruppo has always been a modern and forward thinking company. Now it has a new majority owner from North America. I can't see a downside.
Well said, Thanks Richard.
Old 07-12-21, 04:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I don't generally like mergers and acquisitions. I don't think they improve things for most people. So I shrugged upon seeing this news. In the Italian article, it says the aim is to double revenue. I definitely don't like the sound of that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-12-21, 05:04 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

Except while the money is probably great, he doesn't need it. He may want it, but certainly doesn't need it. And he has been merging art culture and bikes for at least 40 years. I don't know why that gets anyone's knickers in a twist. The Haring behind his desk would get him at least a couple dozen Ferraris. The Haring Laser is probably worth at least one alone.

Cinelli 044 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 07-12-21, 05:11 PM
e-RICHIE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Heh?
Huh!

The transfer of majority ownership isn’t so much about what Mr. Columbo needs or wants.
It’s to ensure the brands he’s been steward of for his adulthood remain in good stead.

Originally Posted by iab
Except while the money is probably great, he doesn't need it. He may want it, but certainly doesn't need it. And he has been merging art culture and bikes for at least 40 years. I don't know why that gets anyone's knickers in a twist. The Haring behind his desk would get him at least a couple dozen Ferraris. The Haring Laser is probably worth at least one alone.

Cinelli 044 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 07-12-21, 05:23 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
Heh?
Huh!

The transfer of majority ownership isn’t so much about what Mr. Columbo needs or wants.
It’s to ensure the brands he’s been steward of for his adulthood remain in good stead.
Are you saying he doesn't need or wants those brands to remain in good stead?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.