Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just curious, Schrader valve

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-19-21, 07:34 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

Not a big deal but I was just curious when I was topping up my tires.

When you remove the pump from the schrader valve, how much psi is lost when when you get that hsss?
Old 10-19-21, 07:37 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Basically none, the air's coming from the pump hose.
Old 10-19-21, 07:39 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts
I've wondered this myself (I'm like that). It's going to depend on the pressure and tire volume. I'm guessing around 0.5 psi.

Mark
Old 10-19-21, 07:45 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
This.
Old 10-19-21, 08:11 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts
You guys make a good point - that must be the case.

Mark
Old 10-19-21, 08:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
That is true only for a Presta valve. Prestas are check valves that only allow air flow in one direction. Schrader valves have to be held open to fill. Any hissing is air being lost from the hose and tube. How much air is lost from the tube would depend on a number of factors and would be difficult to quantify. It would also vary widely.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-19-21, 09:09 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That is true only for a Presta valve. Prestas are check valves that only allow air flow in one direction. Schrader valves have to be held open to fill. Any hissing is air being lost from the hose and tube. How much air is lost from the tube would depend on a number of factors and would be difficult to quantify. It would also vary widely.
Not necessarily, if the pump head is set up properly the plunger which depresses the valve should be shorter than the seal around the valve. This way the valve only gets depressed once the seal is made around the valve.
Old 10-20-21, 07:35 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Easy to check and if your pump head is getting sloppy might be worth it to check with a gauge after inflating which will also catch gauge inaccuracies.
A clean Schrader value can work as well as a Presta in limiting the air escape as demonstrated by their use in high-pressure hydraulic systems on Aircraft.
Old 10-20-21, 07:49 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4

When you remove the pump from the schrader valve, how much psi is lost when when you get that hsss?
A lot will depend on the volume of the tire you are pumping. Most bicycles with tires that use schrader valves are high volume/lower pressure tires. With these tires very little pressure is lost and the pressure loss is of very little consequence
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-20-21, 08:10 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Not enough for it to matter, anyway.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 10-20-21, 08:25 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My old Fuji S-10S came with a screw-on hose for the factory Primus frame pump. I couldn't get that hose off the Schrader valve quick enough, losing lots of pressure while doing so. Soooo.... I ditched the Primus pump and got the Zefal HP with a quick-release chuck withn the first month or so. That old Fuji still wears a Zefal HP today, albeit it's fourth one for various reasons...

BTW, even back then, I was inflating my 27x1-1/8 tires to ~100psi. WITH Schrader valves!
Old 10-20-21, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I suppose it depends on what type chuck you use for Schrader. However many that lock on to your valve stem probably release the pin almost as soon as you release the locking lever. Just like prestas, what's being heard is air escaping from the chuck, hose and sometimes the pump.

However if you have a 60 plus year old floor pump like I have with a chuck that you screw onto the Schrader valve, then yes there is some air loss while you race to unscrew it quickly. However I'd really be surprised if they make air chucks for bicycle floor pumps like that anymore.. Besides, it had no gauge on it so I still had to check with a gauge after I removed the chuck to see if the tire was full. So how much air is lost wasn't an issue since I had to check the pressure any how.

That pump is pretty much not used ever anymore. I only keep it around because it's been here as long as I've been here, maybe longer.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-20-21 at 08:59 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-20-21, 09:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Not necessarily, if the pump head is set up properly the plunger which depresses the valve should be shorter than the seal around the valve. This way the valve only gets depressed once the seal is made around the valve.
Most pump heads I’ve seen and used for Schrader have a plunger that is nearly flush with the outside of the head. The pin of the plunger engages the valve almost as soon as the chuck is placed on the stem. The seal isn’t that tight around a Schrader valve either needing either a thumb lock or screw on mechanism to hold it in place. Flipping open the thumb lock or unscrewing the chuck results in some pressure loss (how much is difficult to quantify) because the pin engages the stem’s valve until it is clear of the stem.

If you hear hissing from a Schrader valve, air is being lost from the tube as well as the hose. With a Presta, air is being lost only from the hose.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-20-21, 09:12 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
However if you have a 60 plus year old floor pump like I have with a chuck that you screw onto the Schrader valve, then yes there is some air loss while you race to unscrew it quickly. However I'd really be surprised if they make air chucks for bicycle floor pumps like that anymore..
I bought a Lezyne floor pump a while back that came with their "ABS-2" chuck. Before I got it, I thought that I would probably replace the chuck with a lever-lock version, but I was pleasantly surprised how well the ABS-2 chuck works. On the Schrader valves I have used it on so far, there just isn't much drama when unscrewing the chuck from the valve, and not much air lost.
Old 10-20-21, 09:26 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Most pump heads I’ve seen and used for Schrader have a plunger that is nearly flush with the outside of the head. The pin of the plunger engages the valve almost as soon as the chuck is placed on the stem. The seal isn’t that tight around a Schrader valve either needing either a thumb lock or screw on mechanism to hold it in place. Flipping open the thumb lock or unscrewing the chuck results in some pressure loss (how much is difficult to quantify) because the pin engages the stem’s valve until it is clear of the stem.

If you hear hissing from a Schrader valve, air is being lost from the tube as well as the hose. With a Presta, air is being lost only from the hose.
For sure for most cheaper pump heads. The thread on Silca Schrader pump head works as I described with zero air loss as do some of the other premium heads I have used in the past.
Old 10-20-21, 09:37 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Hiss duration is a factor. How long do you hear the hiss? If you have to fumble around for a few seconds to get the pump nozzle off completely, while it's hissing the entire time, you're likely losing more air pressure from the tire than you want to.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 10-20-21, 10:07 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Easy to check and if your pump head is getting sloppy might be worth it to check with a gauge after inflating which will also catch gauge inaccuracies.
A clean Schrader value can work as well as a Presta in limiting the air escape as demonstrated by their use in high-pressure hydraulic systems on Aircraft.
i would bet that the air lost using a gauge to check pressure after filling is more than lost removing the air hose.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 10-20-21, 10:40 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The only way to tell is with a separate pressure gauge. The issue with that is the pump gauge may not be accurate.

You could use the pump on a car tire and then compare the pump reading with the pressure gauge. There is so much volume that a small amount probably won’t impact the reading. It will also indicate if your floor pump gauge is off.

I have an inexpensive floor pump that is off by 3psi. Not a big deal at 75psi, but more so at 30psi.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-21-21, 06:37 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
You could use the pump on a car tire and then compare the pump reading with the pressure gauge.
Swiping a saying about a man with two clocks...

"A cyclist with one gauge knows what the tire pressure is. A cyclist with two gauges does not."

Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 10-21-21, 09:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I'm a schrader user

related: when I check my tire pressure with a hand held gauge, a little air escapes. so when I'm deflating the tires on my Jeep, when I get close to the pressure I want, I use the gauge repeatedly to get it perfect. meaning the more I check the pressure, the lower it goes. because bike tires are so low in volume, checking the pressure may change the pressure more than one wants. so when you get it where you want it, leave it alone
Old 10-21-21, 10:34 AM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Pump 5 psi higher than you want, and stop worrying!

gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 10-21-21, 11:02 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4

It must be very little because we use Schrader valves on mountain bike shocks. The pressure is about 80psi but the volume inside the shock is tiny. So if really any amount of air came out you would lose a lot of pressure.
Old 10-21-21, 11:59 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Fun fact: the Schrader valve was patented in April 1893 by George Schrader of New York City, New York, USA.

Safety bicycle --> pneumatic tire --> Schrader valve
Likes For tcs:
Old 10-25-21, 01:08 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
0.37724 grams of air per second
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 10-25-21, 12:46 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
0.37724 grams of air per second
According to my calculations, you are 74.67% accurate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.