Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Any ideas for a Mullet Drivetrain?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 01-18-22, 08:15 AM
cherokeeronin

Bikes: SGM Charles Jerry 26er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally I'm planning to make a build with 50-34 in the front, and 11-40 or 11-42 in the rear thats why I need to work with an MTB RD to be able to accomldate a bigger sprocket in the back

So I have selected candidates for a Mullet drivetrain with a 2x in the front, 9, 10 or even 11 in the Rear, those are:

1st > 9speed STIs with 9speed MTB RD and Road FD - pretty straight forward, easier build but I think I would need a 10 speed, that would ideally be the sweet spot. 9 speed jn the back with 11-40/42 might be too much of a gap with the 34 smallest in the front

2nd > Shensah SRX STI, Deore M6100 RD, Sora/Claris FD - this build is from a new bike model I saw, Pinewood Gravel 2.0 if I'm not mistaken if you guys want to check that out. However for me, going for an 11 speed might be too much gears for me that I might not even use

3rd > MicroNew/Shift 2x10 STI, Alivio SGS RD, Sora/Claris FD - this build would be ideal, HOWEVER, the main drawback for me with these shifters is the weight, and the external cabling look.

For a substitute STI on the 3rd build, assuming that this 10 speed rear has the same pull ratio with either Shensah Quanttum and Shimano Tiagra 4700.

The real question for me here is, if the said Quantum and Tiagra 4700, would be compatible to use with the Alivio RD.

Does anyone have an experience with Mixing Tiagra 4700 with an Alivio RD, or at least any MTB RD? Or anything similar?
Old 01-18-22, 11:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
Hard to make sense of all this but a 46-30 will be an an easier fit than a 50-34, chainwrap. You will not miss the 50t. Also, suggest you avoid anything Alivio or the other A stuff. For a few $ more you can get an actual component.
Old 01-18-22, 12:34 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 440 Posts
Have you considered these options:

- GRX600 46/30t 10 speed crankset + Tiagra 4700 10 speed shifters + GRX400 front/rear derailleur + 11-40t Sunrace 10 speed MX3 cassette (cheaper)
- GRX810 48/31t 11 speed crankset + Shimano 105 R7000 shifters + GRX810 front/rear derailleur + 11-40t Sunrace 11 speed MX8 cassette ((more expensive)

Also you might be able to lower the price by going with Sensah shifters and or using a cheaper crankset and/or cassette. I believe you should have enough wiggle room to avoid using a derailleur extender at 11-40t with either of these setups, while still having that 40t bailout gear. Honestly I would consider at least building a 2x setup around a GRX FD/RD base. Parts like shifters, cassette and crankset can be upgraded later, but your derailleur setup will be rock solid. Also on a side note, you can even use the GRX400 with 11 speed shifters and same goes with the GRX810 with 10 speed shifters, so there is room to mix-n-match based on your budget.
Old 01-18-22, 08:52 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Some of your options go down a maze of potential incompatibilities that may not perform very well. What are you trying to accomplish as far as low/high gear inches, gear spacing and cost? If we understand what you are trying to accomplish, we may be better able to suggest options. The new GRX components are great options with all standard and compatible components.
Old 01-18-22, 11:46 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...nt=11283110789
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink
Path Less Pedaled over on youtube has a bunch of videos trying out different options.
Old 01-19-22, 12:38 AM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Have you considered these options:

- GRX600 46/30t 10 speed crankset + Tiagra 4700 10 speed shifters + GRX400 front/rear derailleur + 11-40t Sunrace 10 speed MX3 cassette (cheaper)
- GRX810 48/31t 11 speed crankset + Shimano 105 R7000 shifters + GRX810 front/rear derailleur + 11-40t Sunrace 11 speed MX8 cassette ((more expensive)

Also you might be able to lower the price by going with Sensah shifters and or using a cheaper crankset and/or cassette. I believe you should have enough wiggle room to avoid using a derailleur extender at 11-40t with either of these setups, while still having that 40t bailout gear. Honestly I would consider at least building a 2x setup around a GRX FD/RD base. Parts like shifters, cassette and crankset can be upgraded later, but your derailleur setup will be rock solid. Also on a side note, you can even use the GRX400 with 11 speed shifters and same goes with the GRX810 with 10 speed shifters, so there is room to mix-n-match based on your budget.
I have indeed searched for the GRX before but for me whether it be a whole groupset drivetrain or per component parts, GRX is a tad bit too expensive for me. As for the cassette and chain, if I do go 11 speed Im thinking of going with the Deore since its the best in my view in terms of quality without spending too much. As for cranksets, I'm gonna get one of those hollowtech cranks and buy the chainrings separately since 50-34 cranksets from the shops I know are all out of stock. At this point I'm pretty much opting for the SRX shifters with deore m6100 since its the only thing I can think of that would probably last.

I am technically also considering getting a SRAM Rival 2x11 drivetrain, this includes both Shifters, RD and FD. It totals pretty much to 315USD. However I dont trust the seller yet since no one has bought from that specific shop, and lastly Im not sure how much is the capacity of the SRAM Rival's RD.
Old 01-19-22, 12:48 AM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Some of your options go down a maze of potential incompatibilities that may not perform very well. What are you trying to accomplish as far as low/high gear inches, gear spacing and cost? If we understand what you are trying to accomplish, we may be better able to suggest options. The new GRX components are great options with all standard and compatible components.
Ive seen both 1st and 2nd options that Ive mentioned work. Problem is that for the 9speed jumps might be too big for me. for the 11speed I might not be able to use other gears. For the 3rd option of 10speed, some guy made it work but Im not sure if it would fit with Tiagra 4700 or Shensah Quantum. Thankfully one guy replied to me also that newer Tiagra 4700 is new gen therefore would not fit the pull ratio of older MTB RDs

For the cost, ideally lets say I go with the 2nd option of SRX Shifters, Deore m6100 RD, Sora FD, and components wise everything else (chain, cassette, bottom bracker, crankset, chainrings) its almost lets 310 USD. Thats pretty much the baseline or limit for me. Give or take another 50USD if prices vary by the time I buy them.

Gearing ratios, I would like to switch to a 50-34T since I am opting for speed and around my area and my usual routes are flats. In the rear ideally an 11-40 or 11-42T, this would help me with the climbs in the Mountains nearby (I rarely go climbs but just in case if I have to, I would want to have that big sprocket in the rear just to be safe). Im currently using a 3x7 42-32-22 in the front and 14-34T(you guys usually see this as the Shimano mega range sprocket) in the back, with that current setup the maximum speed I attain is just 23kmh, Im pretty much high cadence with that one already (dont ask me the cadence I dont have a bike computer). Do I use the 22front - 34 rear in climbing the mountains? Yeah I do actually. Since if I plan on making 34T the smallest in the front, it would give me peace of mind if at least I have a 42T biggest in the back.
Old 01-19-22, 12:54 AM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...nt=11283110789
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink
Path Less Pedaled over on youtube has a bunch of videos trying out different options.
I have thought about the tanpan honestly, but without having to mess with the components as much, the 2nd option of Shensah SRX with Deore M6100 Rd and Sora/Claris FD is so far the best candidate drivetrain I have in mind. If you guys have doubts with that one, its from the Pinewood Lancer 2.0 Gravel bike model.

I've also seen the options by Path Less Pedaled. But none really caught my attention. I might slip when using bar end shifting since I cant balance that well if Im just using my left hand and the right hand when e.g. shifting. But dont get me wrong here, that's probably me thinking of it that way since I might not have been able to familiarize myself with barend shifting. Gevenalle are hmm also pricey for me too.
Old 01-19-22, 12:57 AM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Hard to make sense of all this but a 46-30 will be an an easier fit than a 50-34, chainwrap. You will not miss the 50t. Also, suggest you avoid anything Alivio or the other A stuff. For a few $ more you can get an actual component.
I want to go for speed honestly that's why I am considering the 50-34T, 46T might add a little but not what I'm looking for. How come avoid all the As? Im curious as to how the context behind that works. Any bad experiences or tips with the Alivio or other A stuff?
Old 01-19-22, 02:10 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Reading all this, I think the OP should scrap the mix and match idea and concentrate on compatibility and cost. To me, OP should look towards Microshift Advent (9S) or Advent X (10s) with road shifter and clutched RD... Microshift cassette have plenty of range too.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 01-19-22, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cherokeeronin
Personally I'm planning to make a build with 50-34 in the front, and 11-40 or 11-42 in the rear thats why I need to work with an MTB RD to be able to accomldate a bigger sprocket in the back

So I have selected candidates for a Mullet drivetrain with a 2x in the front, 9, 10 or even 11 in the Rear, those are:

1st > 9speed STIs with 9speed MTB RD and Road FD - pretty straight forward, easier build but I think I would need a 10 speed, that would ideally be the sweet spot. 9 speed jn the back with 11-40/42 might be too much of a gap with the 34 smallest in the front

2nd > Shensah SRX STI, Deore M6100 RD, Sora/Claris FD - this build is from a new bike model I saw, Pinewood Gravel 2.0 if I'm not mistaken if you guys want to check that out. However for me, going for an 11 speed might be too much gears for me that I might not even use

3rd > MicroNew/Shift 2x10 STI, Alivio SGS RD, Sora/Claris FD - this build would be ideal, HOWEVER, the main drawback for me with these shifters is the weight, and the external cabling look.

For a substitute STI on the 3rd build, assuming that this 10 speed rear has the same pull ratio with either Shensah Quanttum and Shimano Tiagra 4700.

The real question for me here is, if the said Quantum and Tiagra 4700, would be compatible to use with the Alivio RD.

Does anyone have an experience with Mixing Tiagra 4700 with an Alivio RD, or at least any MTB RD? Or anything similar?
May not be the right setup for you, but I am running a Shimano 105 R7000 50/34 crankset with a 105 medium cage derailleur and an 11-40 cassette Shimano XT CS-M8000 11-40 cassette. Stock setup without any wolf tooth extender for the rear mech - don't mind my reversed quick release skewers. lol.
Likes For 996:
Old 01-19-22, 12:21 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 440 Posts
I have indeed searched for the GRX before but for me whether it be a whole groupset drivetrain or per component parts, GRX is a tad bit too expensive for me. As for the cassette and chain, if I do go 11 speed Im thinking of going with the Deore since its the best in my view in terms of quality without spending too much. As for cranksets, I'm gonna get one of those hollowtech cranks and buy the chainrings separately since 50-34 cranksets from the shops I know are all out of stock. At this point I'm pretty much opting for the SRX shifters with deore m6100 since its the only thing I can think of that would probably last.

I am technically also considering getting a SRAM Rival 2x11 drivetrain, this includes both Shifters, RD and FD. It totals pretty much to 315USD. However I dont trust the seller yet since no one has bought from that specific shop, and lastly Im not sure how much is the capacity of the SRAM Rival's RD.
I did a quick google search and found there's a possibility to run a full Sensah build using Empire 2x11/12 shifters, Empire FD and using the Sensah SRX rear derailleur. That RD works with an 11-52t cassette and on a 2x build I'm pretty sure it can easily clear 11-40/42t and give you adequate gearing. Might be another option worth looking into while keeping within budget.
Old 01-19-22, 12:26 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
9 speed jn the back with 11-40/42 might be too much of a gap with the 34 smallest in the front
What do you mean by this? Fewer cogs means larger gaps between gears, but that's not really dependent on how large the small chainring is.

However for me, going for an 11 speed might be too much gears for me that I might not even use
I'm also not sure what you mean by this. Adding more intermediate gears just means you'll get finer steps within the range that you use.

No. In 2015, Shimano 10-speed road components lost compatibility with 8/9-speed MTB.

Gearing ratios, I would like to switch to a 50-34T since I am opting for speed and around my area and my usual routes are flats. In the rear ideally an 11-40 or 11-42T, this would help me with the climbs in the Mountains nearby (I rarely go climbs but just in case if I have to, I would want to have that big sprocket in the rear just to be safe). Im currently using a 3x7 42-32-22 in the front and 14-34T

Keep in mind that the 11T sprocket versus your current 14T sprocket will give you a much higher top gear. 46T is only 9.5% higher than 42, but 46-11 is 39% higher than 42-14.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Hard to make sense of all this but a 46-30 will be an an easier fit than a 50-34, chainwrap.
50-34 will need a longer chain than 46-30, but it's exactly the same in terms of chainwrap (16 teeth).

Also, suggest you avoid anything Alivio or the other A stuff. For a few $ more you can get an actual component.
Acera and Alivio lack damping, but for what they are, in my experience they're reasonably-constructed and work well. Definitely not in "component-shaped object" territory.
Old 01-19-22, 05:02 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
Reading all this, I think the OP should scrap the mix and match idea and concentrate on compatibility and cost. To me, OP should look towards Microshift Advent (9S) or Advent X (10s) with road shifter and clutched RD... Microshift cassette have plenty of range too.
I agree, and I suggest staying 9-speed where all road and MT components are compatible. That makes it easy and reliable. Get a Deore long cage 9 speed RD and whatever shifters you like. 9-speed gaps are quite reasonable, and 9-speed is a common touring group where small steps are needed as well as durability. That will keep costs down and deliver a reasonable performance balance. And you will not rack your brain trying to figure out what works with what; that is a big plus for someone starting out. 9-speed group with a long cage rear derailleur and you can pretty much be assured everything will work together (as long as you get your chain length right).
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 01-20-22, 12:34 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
50/34 11-40 works with an ultegra RX RD as well

Likes For redlude97:
Old 01-21-22, 02:18 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I agree, and I suggest staying 9-speed where all road and MT components are compatible. That makes it easy and reliable. Get a Deore long cage 9 speed RD and whatever shifters you like. 9-speed gaps are quite reasonable, and 9-speed is a common touring group where small steps are needed as well as durability. That will keep costs down and deliver a reasonable performance balance. And you will not rack your brain trying to figure out what works with what; that is a big plus for someone starting out. 9-speed group with a long cage rear derailleur and you can pretty much be assured everything will work together (as long as you get your chain length right).
Why stay 9 speed when 10 speed is about the same price, actually cheaper for road shifters since 9 speed road shifters are so hard to find nowadays. You can use a 9 speed deore RD with 10 speed road components as well and get an extra gear for marginal difference in cost
Likes For redlude97:
Old 01-22-22, 09:29 PM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike there! Whats the size of your tires btw?
Old 01-22-22, 09:36 PM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Why stay 9 speed when 10 speed is about the same price, actually cheaper for road shifters since 9 speed road shifters are so hard to find nowadays. You can use a 9 speed deore RD with 10 speed road components as well and get an extra gear for marginal difference in cost
Hey do you have any suggestions which STI and RD that is compatible with what you mentioned?

I recently just found a build from a facebook post. This 2x10 setup would seem cheaper than going with what I mentioned with the SRX STI and Deore M6100 RD

Old 01-24-22, 05:55 PM
redlude97

I don't know anything about the sensah shifters but they look like shimano clones that work with tiagra 4700. 4700 is actually a pretty specific groupset since it is 10 speed but it uses 11 speed road pull ratios so you can use 11 speed (5800.6800,r5000,r8000, ultegra rx, GRX 400/600/800) RDs but not older 9/10 speed RDs. I'm also not sure which front derailleurs work best with that pull ratio either. That groupset they are selling has sensah shifters and a 105 R8000 long cage RD which should work well together.
If I was looking to build a mullet setup i would pick up 5700/6700 10 speed road shifters and a 9 speed deore, or a complete 4700 groupset
Old 01-24-22, 05:57 PM
redlude97

Tires are 650bx48mm rene herse switchback hills shoehorned into a cyclocross bike that doesn't really clear them