Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cycling In work clothes.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Cycling In work clothes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 10:06 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I've always cycled to work in office clothes.
On the flip side, I've NEVER cycled to work in office clothes. Cycling bib shorts/pants/jerseys are just so comfortable, and some are made of windproof breathable material, that regular non-cycling clothing can't even come close to. And I like to use my commutes as a 45 minute HIIT workout, with lots of sweat involved. On the bike, I'm a cyclist, not an office worker.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 05-05-21, 09:02 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
On the flip side, I've NEVER cycled to work in office clothes. Cycling bib shorts/pants/jerseys are just so comfortable, and some are made of windproof breathable material, that regular non-cycling clothing can't even come close to. And I like to use my commutes as a 45 minute HIIT workout, with lots of sweat involved. On the bike, I'm a cyclist, not an office worker.
I totally get what you're saying.

But there's another point of view (of course).

I've never cycled to work in anything BUT work clothes. Granted, as an IT drone, I'm not expected to wear a suit and tie. Khakis and a blue button-down seem to be the IT drone uniform across the country.

But I'm not using the commute (about 50 minutes for me) as a HIT workout. I'm just getting to work, at a reasonable pace. I don't arrive drenched in sweat, or in need of a shower, even in summer.

In the winter, or in bad weather, I wear a Barbour waxed-cotton jacket, with an insulated vest underneath if needed. Works great, and has an amazing amount of pocket space. I don't have any specialized cycling clothing, and for my commuting style, none is necessary.

My point being, make your ride work for you. You can still commute if you don't have a shower and a place to store work clothes and change clothes at your destination.

So you're "a cyclist, not an office worker" on your way to work. Me, I'm an office worker getting to his job on a bike.

There's room for everyone.
Likes For Inisfallen:
Old 05-05-21, 09:38 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I am a woodworker so jeans it is. I wore the seat out of all three pair of my carharts I got 2500 miles out of each pair. I bought some wranglers on sale and they were fine till it warmed up then the tougher reinforced knees (did not even noticed them) started rubbing the inside and outside of my knees raw when it warmed up. back to carharts
Old 05-05-21, 09:43 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I am a woodworker so jeans it is. I wore the seat out of all three pair of my carharts I got 2500 miles out of each pair. I bought some wranglers on sale and they were fine till it warmed up then the tougher reinforced knees (did not even noticed them) started rubbing the inside and outside of my knees raw when it warmed up. back to carharts
This is a valid point. I've worn out the seat of both khakis (for work) and jeans (not work). Certainly it's a cost/comfort factor to be considered.
Old 05-05-21, 10:43 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Inisfallen
This is a valid point. I've worn out the seat of both khakis (for work) and jeans (not work). Certainly it's a cost/comfort factor to be considered.
yep and hassle changing clothes. having to change my wallet and such over twice a day and changing close that often is a pain. I can do 20 miles a day 5 days a week without shorts. if I ride the tandem and ride on weekends I have to have padded shorts.
Old 05-05-21, 02:24 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
But I'm not using the commute (about 50 minutes for me) as a HIT workout. I'm just getting to work, at a reasonable pace. I don't arrive drenched in sweat, or in need of a shower, even in summer.
You are lucky, and possibly unusual. I am sweaty after five minutes, in any temperature. I have to wash (not necessarily shower) and get into clean, dry clothes after my 20 minute high-effort commute.

So yes, the rigmarole takes as long as the actual ride, but I don't care. I don't cycle-commute to save time.
Old 05-05-21, 02:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I start getting sweaty any time it gets above 70, even taking it super mellow. I'm jealous of folks who can arrive dry and fresh.
Old 05-07-21, 09:52 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by fredlord
You are lucky, and possibly unusual. I am sweaty after five minutes, in any temperature. I have to wash (not necessarily shower) and get into clean, dry clothes after my 20 minute high-effort commute.

So yes, the rigmarole takes as long as the actual ride, but I don't care. I don't cycle-commute to save time.
Possibly. I don't know. I don't sweat a lot, actually.* But also, my commute (about 50 minutes) isn't high-effort. It could be, if I wanted to make it a workout, but I've chosen to make it a bit more leisurely. In part because of the clothing issue.

As I said above, whatever works. Back in my motorcycle days, we had a saying -- "you've got to ride your own ride."

* I know there's a lot of variation in how much sweat people produce, and under what conditions. As proof, I offer this -- a close friend is a lighting director. He shoots a lot of television, some movies, and tons of commercials. He told me once that he always brought a hoodie to work, because some of the talent know that they're prodigious sweaters. If they're big enough names, they'll have it as a condition that the set (assuming it's indoors) has to be cooled to about 50 degrees, so they don't sweat. Otherwise they'll sweat through their clothes, even standing still, at 70 degrees.
Old 05-07-21, 06:42 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by fredlord

either it has to be really hot or I need to have my heart rate about 135 and warm to sweat. hell I am covered in sawdust all day so what is a little sweat?
Old 05-07-21, 06:45 PM
Bikesarecool21

Bikes: 2019 specialized pitch & 2005 trek7300

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I bike to work I ride in my work clothes
Old 05-07-21, 07:16 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
First job was night shift in a class 1 clean room. Just wore jeans and a t-shirt because I worked in a bunny suit all night and didn't bother showering either because of the laminar airflow and everyone had face masks and by the end of the night everyone was sweating and smelled like chemicals anyway. Nice while it lasted.
Old 05-08-21, 03:47 AM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
so what is a little sweat?
Nothing, I guess, but I draw the line at going through my work day with a damp groin. Colour me fussy.