Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help installing a first cassette

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21, 03:16 PM
Porknz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I will try to attach a few photos. I'm trying to install my first bike, onto my first trainer, but need to install my first cassette first. It's not tight yet, so I might need some spacers or something to get it working right. I understand I don't know what I'm doing. I'd appreciate any help though. Craving my first attempt at zwift too.

Old 10-02-21, 04:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Showing the Sunrace box does nothing for us. I'm guessing the freehub on the trainer is 11speed? How many cogs does that cassette have?
Old 10-02-21, 04:38 PM
Porknz

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Showing the Sunrace box does nothing for us. I'm guessing the freehub on the trainer is 11speed? How many cogs does that cassette have?
The photos have everything I have. The image of the cassette, plus the image of the extra cogs is what I have to work with. The cassette is the one purchased from the wahoo site to go with the kickr core.
Old 10-02-21, 04:40 PM
Porknz

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe I bought the wrong cassette? They only offer the one I purchased for sale. My bike is a 9x2.
Old 10-02-21, 04:43 PM
Porknz

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My understanding from a previous post was that I was an idiot for suggesting the idea of using the 11 speed cassette with my 9 speed bike, so maybe I need to find a different cassette from somewhere other than the wahoo site? I thought if the cassette had more gears than my 9 speed bike, it could be used with spacers or something to that effect. Perhaps that is where my error is?
Old 10-02-21, 08:34 PM
cxwrench

So you bought an 11 speed cassette? Even though your bike has 9 speed shifters? Really?
Old 10-02-21, 08:45 PM
Porknz

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
So you bought an 11 speed cassette? Even though your bike has 9 speed shifters? Really?
I bought the trainer, and it had an option to buy a cassette. The trainer doesn't come with a cassette. I bought the cassette to go with it.

I take it from your response, I'm going to have to try to return the cassette and find a different cassette from a third party site?
Old 10-02-21, 08:50 PM
Porknz

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
If that's the case, can anyone suggest a cassette for my salsa sora journeyman?
Old 10-02-21, 08:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I am trying not to be my usual snarky snot self when I ask this .... if I offend you, I apologize .... but possibly consider doing the research Before making the purchase?

I don't do work on my bike unless I am convinced I know what I am doing. Sometimes I am wrong, but not often ... and when I am I have enough resources on hand (having already looked them up) that i can rescue myself.

I don't buy parts or tools unless I know they are going to do what I need them to do.

We have a huge font of knowledge and information in our pockets, and we watch cat videos.
Old 10-02-21, 08:59 PM
Porknz

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
How come I can only get responses from ***holes? I'm doing the best research I can. There's only one cassette to purchase with the trainer. I knew I needed one because one doesn't come with it. I bought the one that is sold WITH THE TRAINER! I've never used a trainer. I've never done anything with a cassette before. It's my first bike. I'm trying to learn to ride indoors for the first season. What a couple of full of themselves pricks!
Old 10-02-21, 09:09 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Porknz
How come I can only get responses from ***holes? I'm doing the best research I can. There's only one cassette to purchase with the trainer. I knew I needed one because one doesn't come with it. I bought the one that is sold WITH THE TRAINER! I've never used a trainer. I've never done anything with a cassette before. It's my first bike. I'm trying to learn to ride indoors for the first season. What a couple of full of themselves pricks!
Take a step back and think about what you've done. And go easy actually calling people *******s. You have a bike that is 9 speed. Yes, you need to put a cassette on the trainer but you don't need to buy it from the same company. There are obviously (or maybe not) hundreds of places to buy cassettes. If you're not sure what works on the trainer either contact the trainer company and ask OR ask here before you buy...as someone else just posted. Don't screw up and then come here for help...then turn into a total snowflake when people point out the errors in your ways. Calm down and take a deep-ish breath. You need a 9 speed cassette. The trainer has an 11 speed free hub so you'll need a 1.85mm spacer to take the space between 9 and 11 speed. There's a good chance that came with your trainer. Try not to be so entitled and learn how to take a little criticism. It's not hard.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-02-21, 10:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

How come I can only get responses from ***holes? I'm doing the best research I can.
Yup .... here you are, after the fact, doing research. My suggestion was to do the research first.

You want to keep coming back here complaining that you bought the wrong part and cursing people pointing out the One Thing you did wrong---you will come back here only a few times before you are sick of everyone and everyone will be sick of you.

You are doing the research now. Congratulations.

By the way, you could install the full complement of 11 gears on your trainer, you just couldn't shift into tall of them. Otherwise, you need a cassette compatible with your shifters.

Seriously .... can you not understand that a post titled "I need a cassette for a trainer I plan to buy" would have solved all your problems? Can you seriously not see that if you had asked First, you wouldn't be here with a worthless 11-speed cassette, no nine-speed cassette, an unusable trainer, and a heart full of hate towards people who are trying to help you?

I know some people don't like learning lessons. But trust me ... it is better to learn lessons than to keep making the same mistakes.

Whatever.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-02-21, 10:42 PM
Maelochs

By the way .... I really was trying not to be snarky. I guess you missed that .... seeing as I actually said it.

Anyway .... tomorrow is a new day and we can all start fresh.
Old 10-02-21, 11:06 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Take a step back and think about what you've done. And go easy actually calling people *******s. You have a bike that is 9 speed. Yes, you need to put a cassette on the trainer but you don't need to buy it from the same company. There are obviously (or maybe not) hundreds of places to buy cassettes. If you're not sure what works on the trainer either contact the trainer company and ask OR ask here before you buy...as someone else just posted. Don't screw up and then come here for help...then turn into a total snowflake when people point out the errors in your ways. Calm down and take a deep-ish breath. You need a 9 speed cassette. The trainer has an 11 speed free hub so you'll need a 1.85mm spacer to take the space between 9 and 11 speed. There's a good chance that came with your trainer. Try not to be so entitled and learn how to take a little criticism. It's not hard.
Actually you were just being rude and your follow up condescending response only shows your true character. How was your initial response helpful in any way other than try to ridicule someone. If you can’t be helpful let it be, hasn’t cross season started yet I am sure they could use your help.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 10-03-21 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-02-21, 11:23 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
This is where you are mistaken. The cassette isn't sold "with the trainer" and putting it in all caps didn't make it so. Wahoo sells a cassette on its website. That's all.

I own a Core and I think it comes with spacers. I had never installed a cassette before in my life before I put one on my Core.

I bought the identical 8-speed cassette the bike had (my wife's bike. I wanted the shifting to be the same on and off the trainer but now that bike sits on the trainer permanently. Even I use it even if the bike is too small). I had no problem getting everything to work right the first time.

​​​​​ Go buy a 9-speed cassette. They can't be that much money.
Old 10-03-21, 12:32 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
You need a 9 speed Shimano or Shimano compatible cassette.
Make sure the gear range is within the capabilities of your derailleur.
You will also need a tool to tighten the lock ring and a chain whip.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 10-03-21, 01:01 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
I will try to attach a few photos. I'm trying to install my first bike, onto my first trainer, but need to install my first cassette first. It's not tight yet, so I might need some spacers or something to get it working right. I understand I don't know what I'm doing. I'd appreciate any help though. Craving my first attempt at zwift too.

There are 2 cogs shown in the top photo and 9 cogs shown in the bottom photo. Are all of these cogs (2 + 9 = 11) part of the same [SunRace] cassette? In other words, are the 2 cogs in the top photo leftover after the installation of the 9 cogs in the bottom photo? If yes to either question, then you must have bought an 11 speed cassette which does not work with your 2 x 9 bike.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 10-03-21 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-03-21, 01:21 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Maybe I bought the wrong cassette? They only offer the one I purchased for sale. My bike is a 9x2.
If you bought an 11 speed cassette, it will not work with a 2x9 bike. If Wahoo only offers an 11 speed cassette, you should not have bought it, at least not for your existing bike.

My understanding from a previous post was that I was an idiot for suggesting the idea of using the 11 speed cassette with my 9 speed bike, so maybe I need to find a different cassette from somewhere other than the wahoo site?
An 11 speed cassette does not work with a 9 speed bike; you need a 9 speed cassette, which are widely available from other sources.

I thought if the cassette had more gears than my 9 speed bike, it could be used with spacers or something to that effect. Perhaps that is where my error is?
There is a misunderstanding here. The Wahoo is presumably designed for an 11 speed cassette, so if you want to use a 9 speed cassette (which is slightly narrower), you need to install a 1.85 mm spacer (behind the physically largest cog):

Shimano Dura-Ace FH-9000 11-Speed Low Spacer (1.85mm) [Y4T724000] | Parts - Nashbar

But this spacer does not somehow transform 9 cogs from an 11 speed cassette into a 9 speed cassette. The spacing (i.e., gap width) between cogs are different in a 9 speed cassette vs. an 11 speed cassette.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-03-21, 08:47 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
My understanding from a previous post was that I was an idiot for suggesting the idea of using the 11 speed cassette with my 9 speed bike, so maybe I need to find a different cassette from somewhere other than the wahoo site? I thought if the cassette had more gears than my 9 speed bike, it could be used with spacers or something to that effect. Perhaps that is where my error is?
yes, the wahoo uses a standard Shimano spline pattern, so any Shimano cassette up to 11sp, bought from any source, will fit. However, since your bike’s drivetrain is 9sp, you have to use a 9sp cassette - a different “speed” cassette won’t shift correctly. A 9sp cassette will fit onto the Wahoo freehub, but since the wahoo is designed to accommodate up to 11sp (which is physically wider than a 9sp cassette), you’ll need a spacer to take up the extra space. I think if you went to any shop or info source and said “I want to run a 9sp cassette on an 11sp freehub - what do I need?” They’d fix you up.
and yes, some of the early responses to the OP were very dickish - it was clear that the OP lacked some fundamental understanding of cassette compatibility, and didn’t realize that wahoo cassettes weren’t proprietary. Maybe if you weren’t so blinded by your own brilliance, you’d remember that everyone starts somewhere, and we’re not born knowing everything about bicycle mechanics.
Likes For Litespud: