Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't you just love when noobs/pedestrians say to ride on the other side of the road.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Don't you just love when noobs/pedestrians say to ride on the other side of the road.

Old 10-27-21, 07:23 PM
psystemupdate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

ever encountered people who yell at you to get on the correct side of the road when you choose to ride against traffic? There's countless reasons for the more experienced riders to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side of the road.
Old 10-27-21, 07:30 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 409 Posts
Is this trolling? When and why would you do that (for extended distance). And traffic laws dictate that bikes abide by going the right direction, with the flow of traffic.

Dan
Old 10-27-21, 07:34 PM
psystemupdate

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Is this trolling? When and why would you do that (for extended distance). And traffic laws dictate that bikes abide by going the right direction, with the flow of traffic.

Dan
just because its law don't mean it isn't stupid...do you really want to put full control of your life at the hands of strangers, especially with todays statistics about drivers distracted by phones? safety is shared when you can see them and they can see you.
Likes For psystemupdate:
Old 10-27-21, 07:44 PM
psystemupdate

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
it was asked "when would you do that?"

have you ever come up on a right turning road and just after the turn is a complete blind spot for any cars that could usually come flying up from behind you? This is one instance where i go to the opposite side and stay there if i can see ahead and its all clear...why should i get a ticket for being smart? Laws are made by people who haven't caught up.
Old 10-27-21, 08:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Never get yelled at to get on any side of the road, since I always ride on the right (U.S). So no love is lost or wasted.

The OP apparently doesn’t realize that the yellers believe that, based on your choice of sides, that you most likely ALWAYS ride incorrectly and are trying to keep you from being killed. They are being caring, not jerks.

Since the OP believes he knows better than the people trying to help him, I will wait for his inevitable pushback. (When walking my dog on a curvy street with bad sight lines, I do go from one side of the street to the other to maximize the visibility of drivers to our presence. - so I do understand what you are doing, but don’t understand your attitude towards others.)

Old 10-27-21, 08:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by psystemupdate
just because its law don't mean it isn't stupid...do you really want to put full control of your life at the hands of strangers, especially with todays statistics about drivers distracted by phones? safety is shared when you can see them and they can see you.

Sorry, you really have no clue about statistics. You're wayyyyyyy more likely to get hit at an intersection or a driveway when you're coming from the direction the driver isn't looking at, y'know, the wrong way.
Old 10-27-21, 09:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
No, but I often encounter people yelling at me to get on the correct side of the road when I choose to drive against traffic. There's countless reasons for me to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side of the road.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-27-21, 09:06 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
The clueless noobs/pedestrians apparently know better than you.
Old 10-27-21, 09:16 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Channeling your inner Salmon I assume.
Old 10-27-21, 09:35 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
There's countless reasons for the more experienced riders to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side of the road.
“Countless” reasons? I can think of maybe two and they aren’t especially good ones. If people yell at you often enough to start a thread about it, I gotta wonder how good yours are.

Last edited by Rolla; 10-27-21 at 10:11 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-27-21, 09:49 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts

have you ever come up on a right turning road and just after the turn is a complete blind spot for any cars that could usually come flying up from behind you? This is one instance where i go to the opposite side and stay there if i can see ahead and its all clear...why should i get a ticket for being smart? Laws are made by people who haven't caught up.
Actually this is the worst time to ride into traffic if the intersection is so dangerous that you have to stop and wait for a break in the traffic to negotiate the turn.

When riding with traffic, it is pretty easy to stop before you get to the turn and wait for a break in the traffic because you can look behind you and see the cars. When there is a break you can go through the turn without and worry of an idiot on a bike hitting you head on.

When riding the opposite direction it is truly a blind corner because you’ll never see the cars that are heading toward the right turn. You either have to move closer to the apex of the turn to get a better view, or just guess no one is there.

The other issue is when you wake up in the hospital, it will be your fault for riding into a blind turn on the wrong side of the road. The driver could be eating lunch and watching a video on his/her phone and it will still be your fault.

John

Edit added: To be honest, if that is how you ride on the road, maybe you should find out if there is any gravel you can ride on.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 10-27-21 at 10:09 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-27-21, 10:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Wow, I might yell at you as well if I saw that. That's just about the worst way to handle that imaginable. If you cross before the turn, you're putting yourself in the paths of cars coming the other way you can't see, and if you cross after the turn, you're crossing the paths of the right turning cars behind you.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-27-21 at 10:09 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-28-21, 12:49 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I get that you want to see the cars that are coming towards you, but here’s why that’s a bad idea: Closing Speed

I would presume that you’re holding your line and not diving into the shoulder every time a car passes, so it’s on the cars to take the action to go around you. Riding against traffic increases the closing speed between you and a passing car. If you’re riding at 15 mph, and the car is doing 45, your combined speed is 60 mph, and the driver has a substantially reduced amount of time and space to make the necessary changes to avoid you.

Riding with traffic (on the correct side of the road) means that the closing speed is reduced by your speed (the above example would give a closing speed of 30 mph) the passing drivers now have more time to maneuver, even more than if you were stationary.
Old 10-28-21, 12:56 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
This is a thing I’ve said before; the “Rules of the Road” (laws or customs) are there so that everyone behaves in a similar way, so that your actions/potential actions will be predictable to other road users around you.
Behaving in a contrarian manner, to call attention to yourself and therefore “make you safer” is a false concept, because now everyone has to stop paying attention to everything else around them and focus on you, so they can figure out what you’re doing or what you’re going to do.
Old 10-28-21, 05:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
This is a thing I’ve said before; the “Rules of the Road” (laws or customs) are there so that everyone behaves in a similar way, so that your actions/potential actions will be predictable to other road users around you.
Behaving in a contrarian manner, to call attention to yourself and therefore “make you safer” is a false concept, because now everyone has to stop paying attention to everything else around them and focus on you, so they can figure out what you’re doing or what you’re going to do.

It's a bit worse than that, actually. The main problem is that people aren't routinely scanning to check for people violating the rules, so when the cyclist comes from an unexpected direction in a lane, it increases the chances that a driver crossing that lane won't even know there's anyone there. Intersection/driveways are the most dangerous parts of the road.

If this was the late 19th/early 20th and we were designing the road system from scratch, opposing the directions might have made sense, but once there's a system of same direction, that question is moot. Everyone's habits are biased to see people following the rules and miss seeing people who aren't. Even without cell phones and other distractions, human perception and attention is a finite resource, you simply can't see everything all the time.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-28-21 at 05:10 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-28-21, 05:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
ever encountered people who yell at you to get on the correct side of the road when you choose to ride against traffic? There's countless reasons for the more experienced riders to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side of the road.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-28-21, 05:11 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
New Thread title needed.
Don't you just love it when noobs start a bunch of stupid threads in their first month of activity?
Old 10-28-21, 05:30 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
I honestly can't think of any time cycling on the wrong side of the road is safer. For tight/blind bends you may want to move to the centre line, but other than that you want to be in the lane and facing in the direction that traffic expects.

Walking with a bike on the wrong side, maybe, but then you're a pedestrian.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 10-28-21, 05:33 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
..and yet another adolescent buffoon gets added to the ignore list..a list that is getting rather large.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 10-28-21, 06:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
This is an .... interesting ..... thread.

If the OP had posted, "There's countless reasons for the more experienced riders to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side of the road..... "

But essentially, since we are all road users ... he did.

This is the same guy, who, in another thread .... complains about drivers making bad decisions.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-28-21, 07:16 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
I can't see how it is ever safer to ride on the wrong side of the road. Safety is about being predictable and visible. If you are on the wrong side of the road, that is not predictable.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-28-21, 07:20 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I'd not want to be the next cyclist a driver comes across after encountering the OP riding erratically.
Likes For mprince:
Old 10-28-21, 07:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
OP's thought process.

Likes For seypat:
Old 10-28-21, 07:23 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I think the OP should maybe just stay on the sidewalk - safer for everyone that way.
Likes For mercator:
Old 10-28-21, 07:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts

Yeah .... I love to ride winding, hilly roads which are replete with blind spots. When I know cars coming up cannot see me I stay well to the right because no matter what you imagine, the car does not Instantly appear right on your tail. There is enough time for the car (particularly if the driver is not startled by a rider coming head-on at him, but instead riding normally) to slide over a few feet. (See above comments on "closing speed.")

I Never take the lane over a hill or after a sharp curve .... because I am not stupid.

I have been riding in traffic for more than five decades. I am pretty sure since I am still alive, that I am doing it right.

On the other hand, if you examine cycling fatalities, a good number involve riders on the wrong side of the road. I have to think they were doing it somewhat less right.

I don't want to suggest that your preferred residence might be under a bridge or anything .... but let us note that your other thread is a complaint about Drivers doing stupid things ........
Likes For Maelochs:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.