Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless road experiences

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-08-22, 03:25 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts

I am resurrecting this dead horse…I have been riding Campy Bora tubular wheels for three years with Veloflex Vlaanderen 28 tires. For me at 175 lbs 98 rear and 95 front is the sweet spot. I have a 2020 Super Six which is a very fun responsive bike but the responsiveness comes with stiffness. I have thought about tubeless road wheels to ( theoretically ) ride lower pressure to take some harshness out of the ride without affecting rolling resistance.
Any experiences similar to mine would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-22, 04:51 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I am resurrecting this dead horse…I have been riding Campy Bora tubular wheels for three years with Veloflex Vlaanderen 28 tires. For me at 175 lbs 98 rear and 95 front is the sweet spot. I have a 2020 Super Six which is a very fun responsive bike but the responsiveness comes with stiffness. I have thought about tubeless road wheels to ( theoretically ) ride lower pressure to take some harshness out of the ride without affecting rolling resistance.
I’ve never run tubulars, but on a wide tubeless wheel (23 inner) I’m running 28s at 62f 65r at roughly the same weight as you. It’s not any slower than when I ran higher pressures.
Old 04-08-22, 05:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
If you're primarily after a more supple ride and lower pressures, the first thing I'd do is lower your pressure - you're running a little high for 28s and your weight, IMO. Start there, then reassess.

As far tubeless, I think that it's a great solution if you get a fair number of flats. If I didn't need the benefit of flat protection, though, I don't think that I'd take on the extra maintenance just to lower pressure a handful of PSI.
Old 04-08-22, 06:59 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
You're definitely high- just like I used to be. In fact, I was a bit higher at times. I am also 175 lbs. On regular tubed tires that measure 28 and rims with internal width of 19, I run 75F and 85R but I also sit more upright. I am still high so I was trying 75/80 which is smoother. Since I run tubeless front-only now, I have gone to 70/78. I'll be going tubeless in June when Zipp 303 comes in and will likely run 70/75 on true-to-size 28s. That 70-80 range seems to be just as fast and much smoother. Since my frame is limited to 28 max tire size, I may not go much lower. If I could run 30-32, I'd get into the 60s. That will be the next bike.
Old 04-08-22, 07:15 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I have experimented with tire pressure quite a bit. The pressures I quoted were the results of my experimentation. Low 90’s results in a decidedly more sluggish ride. I go as low as possible before sluggish sets in. This is what interests me in the tubeless route.
Old 04-08-22, 07:58 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

After a certain point and depending on road surfaces, thy will be more sluggish. However, I'm faster at 80 than I was at 90-95 on most of my paths/roads. I have a power meter and combine that with HR, I can determine my speed/effort on segments. With my tire size, rim, and road surfaces, I bet I'd be slower at 60-65 but not sure by how much. I have to try diff experiments on non-windy days.
Old 04-08-22, 08:46 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
If you find tubulars to be too stiff, you’re definitely running to high of pressure. One advantage of tubulars is that you can run lower pressures without pinch flatting.

. Having ridden tubulars for years, and road tubeless for the last two years I can say with confidence that tubulars are still the most comfortable riding tires available.

Tubeless tires are arguably easier to deal with and less prone to flat, and can be more comfortable at the right pressure than clinchers, but they are not going to ride better than tubulars
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-08-22, 08:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
I have experimented with tire pressure quite a bit. The pressures I quoted were the results of my experimentation. Low 90’s results in a decidedly more sluggish ride. I go as low as possible before sluggish sets in. This is what interests me in the tubeless route.
What you describe as sluggish, may not actually be slower.

For years people road tires that by today’s standards were way overinflated. A rock hard tire feels fast and responsive as it bounces over tiny imperfections. But that bouncing adds to rolling resistance and is actually slower.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 04-08-22, 08:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Old 04-08-22, 09:52 AM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
What you describe as sluggish, may not actually be slower.

For years people road tires that by today’s standards were way overinflated. A rock hard tire feels fast and responsive as it bounces over tiny imperfections. But that bouncing adds to rolling resistance and is actually slower.
Along these lines I recently bought new tires on my commuter that were tested to be faster than my standard tire. My first day riding I came home annoyed that the darn tires felt slower! I then noticed that my average speed was about a mph faster. How it feels isn't necessarily that accurate.
Likes For ratell:
Old 04-08-22, 10:03 AM
Chandne

I think we (or some of us) were used to that bouncy fast feel. That did feel fast.
Old 04-08-22, 10:37 AM
WhyFi

If you're just talking about perception, a) mistake b) what makes you think that you'll find it any more satisfying to run tubeless at lower pressures?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-08-22, 12:57 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
You'll feel more comfy with TL tires, for sure. I am the same weight as you and I run 28mm tires at 65PSI. I could even go lower.
Old 04-09-22, 06:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Some people love tubeless, some people hate tubeless, and a lot of people fall somewhere in the middle. You probably have to give them a try and decide if they're for you.
Old 04-09-22, 08:58 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,813 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Tubeless tires are arguably easier to deal with and less prone to flat,
Debatable. Guy on my ride this morning running tubeless road tires double flatted going over something this morning. Waiting for him to fiddle with his bacon bits or whatnot took freaking forever. I kept thinking "put some tubes in and let's be on our way."
Old 04-09-22, 09:34 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Debatable. Guy on my ride this morning running tubeless road tires double flatted going over something this morning. Waiting for him to fiddle with his bacon bits or whatnot took freaking forever. I kept thinking "put some tubes in and let's be on our way."
What about the times that he didn't flat, and you didn't notice, because it worked seamlessly? That's the problem with second-hand tubeless failure observation - by nature, you only note the failures and it very neatly feeds in to observation bias.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-09-22, 09:44 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,813 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What about the times that he didn't flat, and you didn't notice, because it worked seamlessly? That's the problem with second-hand tubeless failure observation - by nature, you only note the failures and it very neatly feeds in to observation bias.
Cute logic, but if I can't use it in my favor, neither can you prove that the fraction of flats avoided is more beneficial than the aggravation when they do occur.

I do not keep statistics on the number of people on my rides running tubeless and the relative frequency of flats, but the frequency of tubeless flats is not negligible.. And once the tubelss guy gets a flat, it's an ever loving pain to deal with it.

No thanks.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-10-22, 06:06 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Cute logic, but if I can't use it in my favor, neither can you prove that the fraction of flats avoided is more beneficial than the aggravation when they do occur.
Oh, I know; I never proposed that. You can only look at relative frequency, which is why it's a trade-off that doesn't lend itself to casual, secondhand observation. Mine is way, way down from my tube days.
Old 04-10-22, 11:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I went from one flat per month on average to one per year. Same kind and amount of riding. I don't miss flats.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-11-22, 06:00 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Oh, I know; I never proposed that. You can only look at relative frequency, which is why it's a trade-off that doesn't lend itself to casual, secondhand observation. Mine is way, way down from my tube days.

For that argument to work, you need to ride tyres with the exact same puncture protection or it might be just that limiting the amounts of flats, not the sealant. I moved form cheap training tyres with normal tubes to better protected tyres and light tubes and haven't had a single flat since. By your logic I might as well attribute not flatting to light tubes ;-) Not claiming sealant doesn't work at all, but lots of direct evidence it doesn't work very well and is (can be) a real faff to deal with when it doesn't. - Having to wait for roadies that insist on riding paper thin race day tyres every single training and flatting as a result, is just infuriating. Imo, worse than not bringing a spare tube, lazily relying on others. TL or Tubes, flats will happen if you do that.
Old 04-11-22, 06:53 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
For that argument to work, you need to ride tyres with the exact same puncture protection or ...
Well it's a good thing that I, and many others, have done that.
Old 04-11-22, 06:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Well it's a good thing that I, and many others, have done that.
I haven’t had a flat on tubeless road tires in 3 years. In that time I have had several punctures- none even required me to add air.
Old 04-11-22, 07:17 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Yep. I got a rear tire cut that wouldn’t seal above 20-25#. It was 12 miles to home and I rode it fine. I’m >200#.

Old 04-11-22, 07:49 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Yep. I got a rear tire cut that wouldn’t seal above 20-25#. It was 12 miles to home and I rode it fine. I’m >200#.
Is this a positive story? Or are you saying if you ran tubes, you would have put one in and run at your normal pressure til you got home? What did you do with the tire after you got home (plug or bacon strip)?
Old 04-11-22, 10:31 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
My Domane came set up tubeless from the Trek store. 0 flats . My other bikes I would get 2-3 flats a year on the MUP and the tow path. Not world ending but still a flat to fix every few months. If and when I flat on my tubeless set up I will slap a tube in there to get it home and do whatever else after that. I carry a tube not bacon strips or plugs etc. Just seems like it would be faster and easier.

Love the tubeless set up BTW for the better ride. The flat protection is just a (big) perk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.