Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Carbon Handlebars on trail bike....

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 12:02 PM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I'm selling a 2015 27.5" downhill bike and the offer prices are pretty low. So I'm considering swapping some parts.

Carbon bars 800mm
Fizik Tundra m3 seat

Are carbon bars much better than aluminum for trail riding?
Old 04-30-22, 08:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
So a downhill bike is for downhill I probably wouldn't put carbon bars on it unless I was a professional and had sponsorship and as far as the saddle I don't think that is going to matter as much. If you aren't getting prices you want there are many reasons for that but it is a 2015 downhill bike so it is a limited market in general so you might try posting it other places that might be more interested in downhill bikes or accept you may not get what you want.
Old 05-01-22, 06:19 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by lyle.coop
I'm selling a 2015 27.5" downhill bike and the offer prices are pretty low. So I'm considering swapping some parts.

Carbon bars 800mm
Fizik Tundra m3 seat

Are carbon bars much better than aluminum for trail riding?
Are you looking to add a CF bar to get a better asking price?

Not worth it. Adding a $150 CF bar on a 7 year old DH bike will only increase the value a small fraction of that amount (if it increases it at all).

Nobody is going to care what saddle is on it.

I am a little confused because you say this is a DH bike, but you are asking about trail riding, which involves a lot of pedaling and climbing.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-02-22, 06:47 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I just re-read my original post - I described my situation / question poorly. Apologies.

I meant to say I'm selling my downhill bike but I'm not getting good offers. So I was debating swapping the DH bike's carbon handle bars and seat ($150) with the aluminum handlebars and seat on my trail bike.

Fast forward to today: I did the swap, lowered my price a little and it sold.
Old 05-02-22, 08:35 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I just re-read my original post - I described my situation / question poorly. Apologies.

I meant to say I'm selling my downhill bike but I'm not getting good offers. So I was debating swapping the DH bike's carbon handle bars and seat ($150) with the aluminum handlebars and seat on my trail bike.

Ahh, yeah that was confusing. I would put a saddle you enjoy on the bike you ride more or are not selling.
Old 05-02-22, 12:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts

Wise move. Keep the good stuff.

So to answer your question: I think a quality CF bar is in most cases an upgrade on a trail bike. The lower weight is nice, but also the ride quality is a little better IMO. Not as big of a difference as with road and gravel drop bars, but an improvement.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-02-22 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-22-22, 05:56 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I just put some One Up carbon bars onto my Enduro bike. I love them, help out quite a bit. But, for the purpose of selling, I wouldn't change the contact points. I know this bike has already sold, but I think it is still worth mentioning if other people come across this point. Contact points will be personal preference and some people will just change things out right after they purchase.