Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Phosphoric acid

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Phosphoric acid

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 12:06 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phosphoric acid

Has anyone used it? I've used it in the past for converting rusty BARE steel to a black paintable surface and it works fine but, I've never used it on a painted rusty surface (frame w/ a few rusty nicks). Thoughts?
Old 08-16-10, 12:24 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Its the active ingredient in naval jelly. But I prefer oxalic acid.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 08-16-10, 12:44 PM
afilado

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Bill:

Can you be more specific re source and brand of the oxalic acid you use? And your formula mix?

J

Originally Posted by wrk101
Its the active ingredient in naval jelly. But I prefer oxalic acid.
Old 08-16-10, 01:16 PM
BrianEugene

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchase a 7oz tub of "wood bleach" from Ace Hardware whenever the need arises and mix it in a 35 gallon tub, but I think that generally yields a stronger solution than necessary. You can find better deals online if you are buying larger amounts. Search the forums and you will find detailed threads about oxalic acid, many with before and after pictures.

-Brian

Originally Posted by afilado
Bill:

Can you be more specific re source and brand of the oxalic acid you use? And your formula mix?

J
Old 08-16-10, 01:46 PM
BrianEugene

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
P.S. It cost around $7 at Ace.
Old 08-16-10, 02:49 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any reason not to use it on a painted surface? I have 3 liters (approx) of the stuff and I'm feeling cheap....
Old 08-16-10, 04:13 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by afilado
Bill:

J
I've covered this topic several times. Search via google: oxalic acid site:bikeforums.net

Since I buy the pure chemical, brand is meaningless. I buy in five pound lots from Van ****s. The five pounds cost me about what I was paying for 12 ounces from Sherwin Williams.

By the way, I currently have an oxalic acid bath going at my Waynesville, NC house. If you are close by, you are welcome to bring some stuff by and treating it. Nothing cheaper than free.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Wheels and Levers.jpg (100.1 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by wrk101; 08-16-10 at 04:24 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 08-16-10, 04:55 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Phosphoric acid is "Naval Jelly". It's marketed to be a rust remover. Not a rust converter IIRC.
And you should always wear gloves handling this stuff. It can be absorbed through the skin and attack bone.

I've used rust converters, ie Permatex, POR; they act as a primer and can be sanded and painted over. It won't adhere to a painted surface.
Old 08-16-10, 07:20 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!
Old 12-06-21, 06:22 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
  1. Is it safe to clean chromed surfaces with phosphoric acid ? my thought was that it would serve as a lubricant while cleaning the chrome with steel wool or aluminium and in the same time penetrate the cracks in the plating and remove rust and create a protective layer. But i don't know if it reacts with the plating (once i bathed some campy hub axles in phosphoric acid and it removed a thin black coating)
  2. Is it safe (and enough) to pour some phosphoric acid inside the tubes to clean and protect them from rust ?
  3. should i paint some bare steel with it even if it's not rusty ?
Old 12-06-21, 08:52 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
In case you care to preserve what’s already there, acids like ‘metal ready’ from por-15 will almost certainly etch into your existing paint.
Old 12-06-21, 09:03 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,909 Times in 1,140 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
  1. Is it safe to clean chromed surfaces with phosphoric acid ? my thought was that it would serve as a lubricant while cleaning the chrome with steel wool or aluminium and in the same time penetrate the cracks in the plating and remove rust and create a protective layer. But i don't know if it reacts with the plating (once i bathed some campy hub axles in phosphoric acid and it removed a thin black coating)
  2. Is it safe (and enough) to pour some phosphoric acid inside the tubes to clean and protect them from rust ?
The best product for cleaning chrome is Quick Glow Chrome Cleaner which is a lanolin based product that cleans the chrome and is not corrosive and human friendly. I would recommend that as a chrome cleaner. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-06-21, 10:17 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Thanks panzerwagon and Mad Honk for your recommendations, i've checked both of them and i understand por-15 contains phosphoric acid in some form whereas quick glow fills the cracks with lanolin to prevent further rust formation.
As i'm unable to buy these products in the country i live in, i have to deal with what i can find in local supply stores, and one of these products is phosphoric acid
Old 12-06-21, 11:06 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Literally Actually Answering The Asked Questions Everyday

Originally Posted by holytrousers
1. No, it is not safe (for the chrome) to use phosphoric acid on chromed steel surfaces. You can watch the chrome bubble away. Try it on a small piece, say a chromed steel cable guide and you will see what I have seen. If you apply it as your "thought" suggests and neutralize it, you've removed any "protection" you may have hoped to achieve. If you don't neutralize it, your chrome is compromised. So, No, think again.

2. Yes, I have personally done this, and it "works' to an extent. However, do not allow Phosphoric Acid to dry on a painted surface Because it will stain the paint permanently. And do not rinse out the tubes or you will remove the protective phosphate oxidation. Best kluge is to apply oil on top of "dried phosphoric acid". That can be "enough."

3. You can "paint some bare steel with (phosphoric acid) even if it's not rusty" but that is only a rough approximation of a "proper" Pickling or Parker or Bonderizing operation. (The sites to which I've linked are not exhaustive, but only a starting point and somewhat accessible to the non-chemist. Google and Science are your friends.)

Good luck.
Old 12-07-21, 12:35 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
The best product for cleaning chrome is Quick Glow Chrome Cleaner which is a lanolin based product that cleans the chrome and is not corrosive and human friendly. I would recommend that as a chrome cleaner. Smiles, MH
I second this endorsement. Note that it is Quick-Glo (without the "w"). I've been very pleased with this product. Great for small steel bit as well as chrome. Best to use the "fine" grade on chrome. The regular Quick-Glo is a little too gritty and may leave scratch lines. Works great for polishing, but even a brief rub with a shop rag will make surface rust disappear in moments.

https://www.facebook.com/quickglo/

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Glo-Chr.../dp/B00A7FT1AS

Last edited by gaucho777; 12-07-21 at 12:39 AM.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 12-07-21, 04:23 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by machinist42
1. No, it is not safe (for the chrome) to use phosphoric acid on chromed steel surfaces. You can watch the chrome bubble away. Try it on a small piece, say a chromed steel cable guide and you will see what I have seen. If you apply it as your "thought" suggests and neutralize it, you've removed any "protection" you may have hoped to achieve. If you don't neutralize it, your chrome is compromised. So, No, think again.

2. Yes, I have personally done this, and it "works' to an extent. However, do not allow Phosphoric Acid to dry on a painted surface Because it will stain the paint permanently. And do not rinse out the tubes or you will remove the protective phosphate oxidation. Best kluge is to apply oil on top of "dried phosphoric acid". That can be "enough."

3. You can "paint some bare steel with (phosphoric acid) even if it's not rusty" but that is only a rough approximation of a "proper" Pickling or Parker or Bonderizing operation. (The sites to which I've linked are not exhaustive, but only a starting point and somewhat accessible to the non-chemist. Google and Science are your friends.)

Good luck.
Thank you very much !